saints players i have been privileged to watch.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saints players i have been privileged to watch.....

banger signing on again got me thinking.....

.,..i will enjoy watching him play at least one more year.....

...who else have i been really privileged to watch in the red white and black during my life time......

my earliest memories of brilliant players go back to the fifties.....jimmy ross, peter bennett,les foote, lance oswald, billy young,neil roberts and brian gleeson stand out.....

from the sixties it is a pleasure to recall, the doc, big billy stephenson , alan morrow, jimmy guyatt ,ian stewart , rossie smith and one of my all time favourites carl ditterich.... couple of these guys also played in the fifties....

...moving on through the decades we were all privileged to watch, cunningham, burns and the great late trevor barker.....

in more recent times winmar, plugger and spider warmed our hearts before departing to play in other colours....much to my horror.....

...but banger.....he will live on for the present...along with roo and kossi who also have that special magic about them......

...yeah...i have probably forgotten one or two......but all in all it has been a real privilege to follow the saints......shame about the lack of real and sustained success....
Last edited by stinger on Thu 20 Sep 2007 6:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Plugger is by far and away the best player I have watched. Second would be Winmar and Harvey together. Also Barks was great to watch flying for those marks and big Carl whacking blokes was also good along with Mad dog.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Stinger,
I don't think Georgie Young played in the fifties but he was certainly a pleasure to watch whichever decade it was.

Whilst there are literally scores of players you could have included there are a couple who seem to be missing from your original list -

Cowboy
Buckets

and Mad Dog was always worth the price of admission for his entertainment value.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think he meant Bill Young.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think he meant Bill Young.
Yep, on reflection I'm sure you're correct.

Who is old enough to remember Big Bill Stephenson kicking goals at teh Junction Oval using place-kicks?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Barker, McAdam, McIntosh, Plugger, Winmar, Loewe, Burke, Riewoldt...

...Harves :wink:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

woooosaints
Club Player

dont know if anyone agrees but kosi if only for a small time in 2005 where he just dominated everyone collecting 11 brownlow votes in 4 games

yipper
SS Life Member

I think Stinger is referring to little Bill Young from the 50's - a gun full forward from Sale. The brilliant George Young played from 72 - 78 from W.A. super player.

Stewie, Doc, Alan Morrow and Cowboy were my childhood stars. Big Carl was fantastic to watch. Glen Elliott was another great Saints player I enjoyed watching. Trevor Barker was a legend. Plugger was awesome - especially at Moorabbin. Nicky Winmar, Burke and Loewe. Nowadays Riewoldt is an super player, Kossi is scarily good. But no one comes near the great Rob Harvey. A genuine champion - the best I've seen.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Stinger,
I don't think Georgie Young played in the fifties but he was certainly a pleasure to watch whichever decade it was.

Whilst there are literally scores of players you could have included there are a couple who seem to be missing from your original list -

Cowboy
Buckets

and Mad Dog was always worth the price of admission for his entertainment value.

sorry...i meant billy......GETTING OLD......

georgie was a great footballer though...i will amend my original post...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Stinger,

Cowboy
Buckets

i loved mad dog.....he and mcintosh were super players...stewie was very good.....cowboy was okay...but he and i have issues.....which i wont go into.....

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Stewie Loewe !!

i remember him being the only shining light on many a dark day
the man mountain and a top bloke too

winmar was all class it was and absolute pleaser seeing him run at full pace in driving rain scoop the ball up with one hand in one claen motion and then deliver a pin point pass 45 meters down the ground

Plugger at his most menaceing every time the ball weent near him he got it and let his opponent know about it

and bangers the way he walks out on the ground and by the look of him hes already stuffed hands on hips hunched over and then all of a sudden the ball come and bang hes into it

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
ACTSaint
Club Player

Ian Muller and Damien Kitchke - NOT

I'm a hard man to ignore but its well worth the effort.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I would add Burkey to that - not flashy, but at one stage he and Banger were THE midfield combo. He did most of the grunt work and was one of the toughest I've ever seen. I remember a game (maybe against the dawks) where the commentators thought he had broken his arm in the first quarter because he ended up playing with only the one arm. He never left the ground and pushed the trainers away. Turned out he had copped a big knock and couldn't feel his arm.

Spud was another - as a defender he'll never get a lot of wraps, but played in a lot of teams that weren't flash, so had a lot of delivery to combat and did a great job. In fact I remember Dermie knocking himm out behind play just before 3/4 time after being just about kickless for the game. Dermie kicked about 4 in the last quarter and the dawks got up!

Another that was brilliant but had only a short time with us was McAdam. unbelievable, moved like Dal but quicker and had some sort of telepathy going on with Cuz. Could do things with the pill that made good players look mildly impaired.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Lockett.....

Harvey.....

Two of the greatest players ever!!!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Stinger

Agree with all you mentioned except Spider. He was never in that class.
We may have won a premiership if not for his collarbone, but not in the same class as the others you mentioned.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell