Congrads Geelong!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CarlosA
Club Player

Congrads Geelong!

I really hope that a team thsi year out of St kilda, melbourne, Western Bulldogs were to win the title.

Now that Geelong have made the GF is pretty fair to say that they had the better list.

Congrads!

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

COUGHS, VOMITS AND THEN CHOCKS !!!

Nope, never, no way, no how..... can I swallow my pride to say that C word

I felt ill when the siren went..... so much so I didn't see one second of the celebrations... the channel was turned over straight away.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

It was a shame that one team had to win...on the upside of course..one side had to lose.. :?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

better Geelong than Collingwood I thought.
I hate them both, but would prefer Geelong over Collingwood anyday.

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

I fear I'll be shopping for teal balloons this week.

Anything but Geelong. Anything.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:I fear I'll be shopping for teal balloons this week.

Anything but Geelong. Anything.

Oh I hear you........ whoever wins tomorrows twilight game.... it will be GO [insert winner here]

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

yeah
i worked at the game 2night and watched a bit of it while i was there, and both sides were amazing!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Good to see the Moggies get to the big one.

Those Collingwoods ****couldn't even beat the Crows in round 22.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

I am really getting disgusted with the word C*** been used on this forum of late

No respect what so ever... many of us gals hate the word Bernard Shakey, but you lot use it like its an everyday word that you would hear your kids say

Surely mods something needs to be done about this

In Ross Get lost!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary basis of all interpretations in Australian law:
1. the female genitals.
2(derog.) person or thing.

Dick
1.the penis
2. a foolish unatractive person; d**khead.

What is the big difference?

Just another word in the english language. Get over it.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Macquarie Dictionary basis of all interpretations in Australian law:
1. the female genitals.
2(derog.) person or thing.

Dick
1.the penis
2. a foolish unatractive person; d**khead.

What is the big difference?

Just another word in the english language. Get over it.
How dare you tell me to get over it. You have no respect what so ever.
I see how you didn't quote the other line from the dictionary

Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a woman.

Don't you ever dare come and say that to my face, you would have a hand print on your face that would last a week.

How rude and how very disrespectful

In Ross Get lost!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Bernard, please dont impose your standards as Gospel to everyone else on the Forum.

DSG and every poster here has the right to complain if they feel language is offensive...and my view (and Im quietly confident that of the rest of the mods) is that the "C" word is offensive and will not be a part of this Forum.

Everyone, please refrain from using it, and if you DO see someone use it, or anything else you find offensive, PM a mod. Contrary to popular belief, there are times when there are no mods logged on..especially 9-5 Mon-Fri

And please..DONT quote and requote anything you find offensive. Just makes the cleanup that much harder if we do decide to remove it

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bernhard....this is a cleanish forum, little swearing allowed unfortunately.

Why not just use the word Vagina instead, sounds a bit classier!!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

f*** you geelong

however the other 2 teams left can go roll over and die for all i care

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:Bernhard....this is a cleanish forum, little swearing allowed unfortunately.

Why not just use the word Vagina instead, sounds a bit classier!!

maybe fluffy love purse could be more polite?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Apologies to anyone offended by the use of the "C" word.

Will personally wait about 12 months before using it again, by which time it will probably be all over mass media, just like the "F" word is now.

Don't really see what the difference is between using a real word or saying in your signature:

THE AFL IS A #@!#$%^ DISGRACE

I accept and will abide by the standards of the forum. I just don't accept the two faced standards of some posters.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Apologies to anyone offended by the use of the "C" word.

Will personally wait about 12 months before using it again, by which time it will probably be all over mass media, just like the "F" word is now.

Don't really see what the difference is between using a real word or saying in your signature:

I accept and will abide by the standards of the forum. I just don't accept the two faced standards of some posters.
the F word is used all the time on this forum and no one complains.....
I am not using the C word in my sig.....
If you can't understand and respect why a lot of us girls don't like the C word. Then I have nothing more to say to you.

If you honestly think the word will be used as much as the F word in 12 months then you really do have your head stuck in the clouds.

Two faced.... yeah sure whatever... I have no time for people who can't show some respect and have to dig for a reason to say such a word that really does not need to be used.

like you said "I just don't accept" people who can't understand and can't respect the feelings of a lot of people out there who can't tolorate the C word.

In Ross Get lost!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

vagina

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
battye
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Apologies to anyone offended by the use of the "C" word.

the F word is used all the time on this forum and no one complains.....
I am not using the C word in my sig.....
If you can't understand and respect why a lot of us girls don't like the C word. Then I have nothing more to say to you.

If you honestly think the word will be used as much as the F word in 12 months then you really do have your head stuck in the clouds.

Two faced.... yeah sure whatever... I have no time for people who can't show some respect and have to dig for a reason to say such a word that really does not need to be used.

like you said "I just don't accept" people who can't understand and can't respect the feelings of a lot of people out there who can't tolorate the C word.
Really, the use of either of those words mentioned above on an internet forum is uncalled for.

This is not a chatroom, discussion should be more civilised.

DSG, I agree with you in that nobody should be using "c", but in all honesty, you can't become vocal about this, and then turn a blind eye towards "f". Both are offensive and unsuitable for an internet forum. If it was a private forum, then fair enough, but the content here is available to everyone, and it doesn't present a good image for the forum.

Even the use of "FFS" is becoming so common it's a joke.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
midas_touch
Club Player

Great game tonight. Collingwood played to the absolute best of their ability, whereas Geelong were only running at 75% imo. The game also indisputably showed the importance of a quality ruckman. Ottens really took Bryan and Richards to school. The pies really missed Fraser.
Last edited by midas_touch on Sat 22 Sep 2007 2:08am, edited 1 time in total.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote: Really, the use of either of those words mentioned above on an internet forum is uncalled for.

This is not a chatroom, discussion should be more civilised.

DSG, I agree with you in that nobody should be using "c", but in all honesty, you can't become vocal about this, and then turn a blind eye towards "f". Both are offensive and unsuitable for an internet forum. If it was a private forum, then fair enough, but the content here is available to everyone, and it doesn't present a good image for the forum.

Even the use of "FFS" is becoming so common it's a joke.
I do agree with you.... especially on the image of the forum..
In life in general I can accept every other word but the C word.. thats really what I am saying.

To me if does not matter if its on a forum or during your everyday life, you don't hear people saying the C word all that often. I just don't find the word acceptable no matter how it is used.

Then to have a person say it will be as common as the F word in 12 months is just so laughable IMO.

In Ross Get lost!

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

DSG, is it possible that your lack of tolerance for the word is disproportionate to any offence that its use might cause?

The word certainly is used as a derogatory term for a woman, but its use in that context is in the extreme minority.

The word is most commonly used as a derogatory or disparaging term for a male, or for a group of males. In this sense it is not dissimilar to other words referring to or derived from anatomical parts that are used disparagingly, e.g. arsehole, tit, fanny, dick/d**khead, twat, berk, bollocks.

Its other predominant (but less common) use is to describe the female genitals. Vulgar, yet legitimate.

Use of the term to personally refer to or denigrate a woman is extremely boorish and is rightly condemned in polite company.

But by crying foul of its use to describe, say, members of the Collingwood football team (i.e. the "he's a silly c***" use) equates it with the denigration or humiliation of a woman. Contextually, the two are NOT equal, and to suggest they are is mischievous.

The reason the word "f***" is so accepted now is because society came to the realisation that common use of the word would not cause the downfall of civilisation as we know it, but that the word was in fact made less powerful as an offensive slur (it was made less "shocking"). "f***" enjoys popular use in speech, particularly among youth culture, and I'd suggest this would be the case whether or not it was "endorsed" in any institutional sense.

Even today, the word "f***" is outlawed on free-to-air television in the United States and those who are inadvertently caught using it (e.g. through technical errors in sound production or through having their behind-the-scenes speech captured by a live microphone) are pilloried and derided as "potty-mouths". Such is to be expected in a nation where broadcasters, ever-conscious of the company bottom line in one of the most competitive media sectors on earth, are captive to the expectations of the Christian conservative watchdogs. The media will not hesitate to voraciously devour one of their own, as long as the powerful religious right is kept on-side.

It is therefore refreshing to come online and see that the majority of US citizens are NOT the pious crusaders the mass media would have us believe, but are ordinary people who are not averse to a bit of swearing where it is contextually appropriate.

Australians pride themselves on their relaxed and irreverent use of colourful language. Use of the word "c***" as a good-humoured way to refer to someone who is a bit silly or for whom you feel some contempt enjoys a rich tradition in British and Australian culture, so it is not surprising to see it find its way onto an Australian Internet site.

I wholeheartedly agree with Bernard Shakey's prediction that the word "c***", like the word "f***", will gradually find greater acceptance, in certain contexts, in the media, although this is likely to be decades, and not months, away. The word already is accepted in newspapers and courts.

Your call for a "blanket ban" on the word because of its rare, and to some extent, archaic use to denigrate a woman suggests that you are unable to contextually discern between more appropriate and less appropriate use. We know (at least, we hope) you're not that ignorant.

There are countless evils in this world of which you should be intolerant. A bit of blue language on an Internet football forum that causes no demonstrable damage to the status of women in Australian society is NOT one of them.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not that ignorant either but the "c" word is not a word I'd use in mixed company simply because it is offensive to women. And I consider this forum "mixed company".

Perhaps that makes me old-fashioned, but too bad.

I do however agree that use of the word will become much more common place over time, and perhaps will lose some of it's offense. Whether that is a good thing or not is in the eye of the beholder.

But that that time is not now, and really, it's not too hard to find another word to use instead.

hinshelwoodhilaire

I agree congratulations to Geelong, they are the best team in the competition and have the most attractive style of play of any side to watch for a neutral. Collingwood have been very ordinary at times this year in games against Brisbane, Richmond and most disappointingly Adelaide round 22. If St Kilda cant win the flag then the best team over the year should win instead of an ordinary team getting lucky in the finals with opponents injuries and games in bad weather conditions.I also object to collingwoods arrogance in regards to refusing to change from their Black and white stripes kit when there is a clash and many other issues of percieved self importance. So an ancient anglo saxon word does come to mind when Collingwood is mentioned. In regard to the word i recently watched a tv programme about the origins of words in the english dictionary, whereby the C word was the topic and mentioned freely many times on the programme . Several feminists , including i think germaine greer were embracing the word. So it seems it can have many meanings depending on its context. To me it seems Dal_santos_gal is picking a fight.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Well bloody done cats

/fuming with jealousy.