Frawley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Q5
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:On Spud..

Why is it a crime to be invited to be on a Board????
No crime whatsoever - just thought it smacked of desperation on the part of the encumbants. Despite the fact that he turned down the offer, the sort of comments Spud has 'provided' on the radio lately have been less than flattering towards anyone wanting to upset the 'status quo'. Thought his treatment of AT in an interview a week or two ago was quite harsh.

To the top
SS Life Member

Look at the record people.

And then look at why.

And how many have tried to correct it - and failed?

It comes down to culture - and culture is something that has nothing to do with the individual.

It has to do with the history of the place - past players being able to return to the club and to see their photograph on the wall - in a premiership team. A common bond.

And to be feted accordingly by the current crop of players - who seek to emulate - as a team, so that they, too, can return to those same clubrooms when they are 60 years of age - be instantly recognised and feted.

St Kilda does not have that culture.

And, with the self serving clap trap I read on here, it never will have.

Because it takes generations of work and effort - all pulling together because of the history of the club.

Pride. And you fight for your CLUB no matter what or who.

I'll go a bit further, because when I was just a primary school kid, a guy by the name of Alan Killigrew came to coach Norwood - from St Kilda.

So the culture of St Kilda, compared to Norwood, was known to me at that very young age, when I used to go to the footy with my grand-father and my dad, who both knew "Killa" well.

And a couple of players came from St Kilda, one of whom became a very close mate of my fathers, and drank at "the local" with my father after his playing days.

He also spoke of the different culture he found and the effect it had on him as a footballer.

Success breeds success.

And when the message is put to you, look at the response.

The reason I continue to waste my time here is because, having come from a different culture and having had the experiences I have had, I think I am positioned to convey those experiences.

And I am just a little concerned that mob mentality is driving this issue.

And the eye is not on the ball. It is on the individual.

And that IS a St Kilda problem.

The Board will be voted out if Lockett is not re-signed - and the Board run scared each and every year as other clubs circled. And, eventually, he left.

And that was, and still is, to St Kilda's long term detriment, accross all facets of its existance.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: I'll go a bit further, because when I was just a primary school kid, a guy by the name of Alan Killigrew came to coach Norwood - from St Kilda.

So the culture of St Kilda, compared to Norwood, was known to me at that very young age, when I used to go to the footy with my grand-father and my dad, who both knew "Killa" well.

And a couple of players came from St Kilda, one of whom became a very close mate of my fathers, and drank at "the local" with my father after his playing days.

He also spoke of the different culture he found and the effect it had on him as a footballer.

Success breeds success.

And when the message is put to you, look at the response.

The reason I continue to waste my time here is because, having come from a different culture and having had the experiences I have had, I think I am positioned to convey those experiences.
\

gawd you talk crap......i grew up in the st kilda club environment.......i even got to listen to the hot gospeller deliver his fiery sermons...awe inspiring they were.........i used to sit in the committee box.....a roped off area at the old junction oval...later on i worked and became very good friends with two st kilda players.......great guys...i never heard anyone mention st kilda's culture.....ffs....it was a figment of the media...created in the 80's as a result of the party boy mentality of those who regularly attended at club disco functions...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
JeffDunne

stinger, just ignore the Blue piece of trash.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

The board will be voted out because their time is up.

They did a fantastic job for perhaps 5 out of the 7 years theyve been in charge, and they deserve all the credit in the world for getting us out of financial trouble.

The board has disappointed us in many facets of the job this year and in some last year.

They did their job, and now its time for someone else to take us to the next level - a premiership.

The board will be voted out because there are some holes that need to be filled. Some problems that need fixing.
Not just for the sake of it.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:Success breeds success....
Carlton are in trouble then aren't they...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:stinger, just ignore the Blue piece of trash.

he's a scummer is he.?????..should have smelt him......i'm getting old.....

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:The board will be voted out because their time is up.

They did a fantastic job for perhaps 5 out of the 7 years theyve been in charge, and they deserve all the credit in the world for getting us out of financial trouble.

The board has disappointed us in many facets of the job this year and in some last year.

They did their job, and now its time for someone else to take us to the next level - a premiership.

The board will be voted out because there are some holes that need to be filled. Some problems that need fixing.

Exactly. They have taken us as far as they can - just like George Piggins with South Sydney. He was only capable of so much, before better equipped sorts took things to the next level.

RB has taken us as far as he possibly can. He's done some great work, for that I'm thankful, but we now need a stable, united front to take us forward.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:The board will be voted out because their time is up.

well said nick...another reasonable post from a reasonable and intelligent poster......and one who never has to resort to name calling ...... :lol: :lol:

.... 8-)

To the top
SS Life Member

Stinger, you state "Please Lord let us win a premiership in 2008".

Then you say you knew Allan Killigrew.

Well, Allan last coached St Kilda in 1958, 49 years ago. Because he went to Norwood in 1959 and coached them until 1962 before returning to Melbourne, and North Melbourne.

So, what you say would age you at, at least, over 60 years of age.

And a 60 year old puts "Please Lord let us win a premiership in 2008"?

But let's test your credibility a little bit further.

Killigrew took a few players from the VFL with him to Norwood, including a few from St Kilda.

There are those, including me, who consider that that influx interrupted the flow of players from Under 17's and Under 19's and that Norwood paid a price longer term (1965 - 1970). But that is another issue.

Given your statements, Stinger, can you name 3 players Allan took to Norwood from St Kilda?

They were all VFL players.

One was a wingman (BB), one was a full forward (PS, who also played for SA in 1960) and another was a left footed ruckman (GF).

So, given the initials are provided, who were the players?

Your credibility is on the line here, Stinger.

I trust alzhiemers has not set in!

And "Please Lord let us win a premiership in 2008" really says it all, doesn't it?

Perhaps, instead of going to watch St Kilda compete on the field, we should all go to church and pray for a win!

JeffDunne

Brian Bowe, Phil Stephens & Geoff Feehan?

Wasn't there another that he got to Norwood too?

To the top
SS Life Member

Lester Ross, who then went on to play in a South Adelaide premiership side in 1964.

But Lester's son, Lester Ross jnr., played in Norwood premiership sides in the 1980's.

And another son, Jonathon, could play, at Norwood, but ran off the straight and narrow when an AFL career beckoned at Adelaide.

Killigrew would lament that his one regret was that he never got to play with the Norwood club.

Brian Bowe continued to live in Adelaide.

I do not know if Phil Stephens or Geoff Feehan returned to Melbourne.

Allan also bought Peter Brenchley from Melbourne, plus a couple of comparative lesser lights including Ian Gordon, who I think also came from St Kilda.

Got Norwood to 2 grand finals, but lost both (1960 & 1961).

A true gentleman, Allan Killigrew.

JeffDunne

Not sure the point of all this (other than someone trying to impress us all yet again), but FWIW, Ross is who I was talking about.