3AW Report...Sherman wants out of Brisbane!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

3AW Report...Sherman wants out of Brisbane!

Now I am a big believer in not trading draft picks but I believe the The Shermanator is exactly the type of player we should be targeting.

- Young
- Aggressive
- Quick
- Can kick a goal
- Can take a mark
- Great body for AFL footy

Has very poor defensive skills and needs a better work ethic but is young enough and good enough to over come these issues.

I could see him playing half forward and kicking a couple of goals and rotating through the midfield.

What would we give up for Sherman?

A draft pick? A player?

Does anyone else rate him and see him as a great fit for us?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Spot on JB. The Sherminator is a gun. I'd be very pleased to see him in the red white & black.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
footynut
Club Player

If he wants out you'd offer a third round pick, or hope to get him in the pre season draft (that would be a nice get)

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Agreed..good player if a touch inconsistant ..and fits our "wants" list..

Is he a Vic boy wanting to come home?

have to be careful trafing picks though I reckon..our junior stocks arent in that good shape that we can afford to trade away 1st and 2nd Rounders

Maybe 2nd Rounder for him and their 3rd rounder if Pick 9 stays with us after the Judd merry-go-round.

No way would he still in the running by our pick in the PSD unless we cut a deal.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
PLUGGER14
Club Player

Was interesting to see his parents attend the game up here in Brisbane last year wearing the "Red, White & Black ".

Yep St Kilda supporters :)

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Don't hold me too it but I thought he was a Vic country boy - Wodonga region?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

He's probably a better use of pick 9 than Fev, but geez.......

Some of you proponents of Sherman are also carping critics of GT for wanting to "top up" or to "trade away draft picks for recycled players".

Do you know the meaning of the word "inconsistent?

And don't tell me that we could trade some dud for Sherman. I cannot imagine the Lions letting us have him for anything less than pick 9 (and possibly something else as well).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
wildgoose
Club Player

Id be very happy to pick him up, but not giving away pick number 9. He is quick, kicks goals from the midfield, something we lack.

And hack pup is out again, bowled without troubling the scorers.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

May inconsistency and hypocrisy reign meher baba!! :wink:

I would give up our second rounder for Sherman. Lyon would sort him out and he is a terrific player - played some fantastic games in '06.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

brilliant year in 06, done nothing in 07.

not worth our round 1 pick on current form.

perhaps he was a one hit wonder? plenty of players done that.

IMO we can do better with pick 9.

i dont mind giving away a round 2 pick for a kid with potential and proven big game form, although he hasn't shown in in 18 months.

young enough i think.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

This year was only his 3rd season DW, and he's 21, so plenty of time to come good.

Showed enough on a consistent basis last year to suggest he is capable at this level.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

Sherman is from the Clarence Football Culb in Tasmania......definitely worth a look.....second rounder - or third rounder and a dud..

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:This year was only his 3rd season DW, and he's 21, so plenty of time to come good.

Showed enough on a consistent basis last year to suggest he is capable at this level.
absolutely

but one year in sun doesn't make a career.

IMO i think he is a risk, worth a second round pick IMO and/or a GOP but not pick 9 or one of our starting 22.

SHUT UP KRIME!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:I would give up our second rounder for Sherman.
Yes, so would I in a flickering of an eye. But is this at all likely to be good enough for the Lions?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigred
Saintsational Legend

ugh...

Stop mentioning pick 9 :twisted:

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Yes, so would I in a flickering of an eye. But is this at all likely to be good enough for the Lions?
if thats the best offer they get for him.

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: He's probably a better use of pick 9 than Fev, but geez.......

Some of you proponents of Sherman are also carping critics of GT for wanting to "top up" or to "trade away draft picks for recycled players".

My view is that you do not trade for players that other clubs have rejected as not being good enough for AFL (ie McGough, Ackland etc. Powell would seem to be the exception...but with Powell I think there were other factors besides talent)

Players that choose to leave a club for genuine reasons are ok...and particularly if it is the type of player that we lack.(ie Gram, Gehrig etc)

My personal preference is to err on using your draft picks rather than trading....but you do need to balance building a team and your known weaknesses with what you can take in the draft.

Trading a good draft pick (ie your first 3 rounds) fora rejected player of GOP at best abilities is madness. If you havea FLAWEd player that you think you can reform then either the rookie draft needs to be used....ora LATE draft pick which is a cheap pick.

meher baba wrote: And don't tell me that we could trade some dud for Sherman. I cannot imagine the Lions letting us have him for anything less than pick 9 (and possibly something else as well).
Not worth a pick 9.

Second round...or third....
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 26 Sep 2007 1:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Players that choose to leave a club for genuine reasons are ok...and particularly if it is the type of player that we lack.(ie Gram, Gehrig etc)

My personal preference is to err on using your draft picks rather than trading....but you do need to balance buildinga team and your known weaknesses with what you can take in the draft.

Dratfting a good draft pick (ie your first 3 rounds is madness). If you havea FLAWEd player that you think you can reform then either the rookie draft needs to be used....ora LATE draft pick which is a cheap pick.
I would agree with you except that I would think that I would really only describe the first round draft pick as a "good" one. If you look at the drafts since 2000, the numbers of draftees who have continued to be offered AFL contracts after the first 2 seasons drops away pretty dramatically after the top 20 or so.

A lot of posters on here get very excited about the possibility that the club has traded away a pick in the 20s, 30s and 40s with which it might (repeat MIGHT) have snared a top quality player. We, and other clubs, have certainly done well with such picks on a number of occasions, but - once you take the the father-son picks out of the picture - statistics do not support the idea that this is something that you should rely upon being able to do every time.

That's why I have lost patience with the endless whinging on this forum about our having traded away relatively poor draft picks for Guerra, McGough, Ackland, etc.

Watts is another matter: I know some on here scoff at the role that nepotism might have played, but it did seem to be a strange decision at the time. However, he is undoubtedly a promising player and may well prove us all wrong in 2008.

- Jonathan Swift
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Moist. He looked awesome in 2006 and I'm sure we could get him right.

Definitely worth giving up a second rounder for.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:
Sherman will be an interesting one - I bet news that he wants back to Melbourne will be viewed with interest by ALL the Melbourne clubs - because all the Melbourne clubs will be hoping to get his '06 showing for his '07 price.

I'd join the chorus of those who wouldn't give up pick #9, but I suspect we'd need to sweeten the 2nd rounder to make the best off to the Lions. I'd open with the 3rd rounder, and when pushed for more see if the 2nd would get it done, and failing that, offer the 2nd plus one of our cast of not-quite-there-yets... bidding goes any higher, I let someone else have Sherman. I want him cheap, I'm willing to pay more than his '07 by itself would warrant, because I think he'd slot straight into our lineup - but I'm wary of the possibility he was a flash in the pan. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see somebody (I like the kangas for the irony factor if they fully relocate) give up a 1st round pick for him.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:He's probably a better use of pick 9 than Fev, but geez.......

And don't tell me that we could trade some dud for Sherman. I cannot imagine the Lions letting us have him for anything less than pick 9 (and possibly something else as well).
Only one person touting pick nine mb :wink:

Personally I'd entertain discussion on any pick other than our first round.
He'd be well gone before we could get him in thre PSD.

Brisbane would be asking for Qld boy Sammy Gilbert if it was a trade but I'm sure we wouldn't be letting him go for Sherman.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
meher baba wrote:He's probably a better use of pick 9 than Fev, but geez.......

Only one person touting pick nine mb :wink:

Personally I'd entertain discussion on any pick other than our first round.
He'd be well gone before we could get him in thre PSD.

Brisbane would be asking for Qld boy Sammy Gilbert if it was a trade but I'm sure we wouldn't be letting him go for Sherman.
yeppers sam gilbert on first year form looks outstanding.

i guess if he has a shocker in 08 folks will be demanding we try and get a round 3 pick for him before his value dissipates altogether :roll:

sherman for a round 2 pick or a player outside our best 25 with a round 3 pick looks like what sherman is worth now.

12 months ago he would have been a late round 1 pick easy.

SHUT UP KRIME!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

hrmmm i dunno
if we play in the judd merygo round with pick 9 i would be reluctant to trade our second pick as well meaning our first pick will be a third rounder with a draft as shallow as this one i dunno i just got a bad feeling about it

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Would we expect what we get with pick 9 to be as good as Sherman is?

If not, then go for him.

If so, then why trade for him?

Batnoe

I was talking to someone that Knows Sherman!!

he says he is a bit arrogant and thinks he is the best, but it might be cause Sherman isnt that bright

Good player, but only seems to play well against Saints