X - 1 year deal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

X - 1 year deal

Interesting to read the short article on Goose's re-signing - mentioned that X was expected to sign a 1 year deal. Interested to know people's thoughts. I would have thought he was worth 2.

jill
Club Player

X should have got 2. Hope he can do a full preseason & finally have a chance to star! Fully fit he can be a match winner.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Just said on MMM saints close to re-signing X and Bakes, no details

Before Im 85
vacuous space
SS Life Member

X has played 97 games in 6 years. In that time he's managed to get 20 touches just six times. He's been mauled by injuries the last few years. It's probably best if the club keeps fringe players with injury concerns on short-term deals. On the upside for X, if he plays a full 2008 season, he should be able to get a better contract next year.

carn_sainter
Club Player

All X has to do to become a very important player for us is:
- stay fit
- pick up his footskills

I have a feeling the second condition above results from the first

He has some really good tools
- a nice tackle
- brilliant reader of the play
- creative and daring
- good overhead
- good enough pace

I also think that list above is the criteria needed for a gun HFF...

I have a lot of hope for X. Get some good fitness, his skills will pick up and he will be super important for us

Only problems are that he has had quite a few injuries, so his risk of re-injury is much higher and also, he has a problem keeping his feet...but i really like X and think he is worth 2 and if all goes to plan in 2008, we'll be desperate to give him 2 years

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

X may have only wanted a 1 year deal so that he can have a full pre-season heading into 2008. If that is followed by a stellar year his value would well & truly increase for 2009 and beyond !!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Another guy with a lot of potential, but is risky to sign up due to his injury record, we just can't build a strong team with players who can't stay on the track for the best part of a season.

The Peanut
Club Player

Eastern wrote:X may have only wanted a 1 year deal so that he can have a full pre-season heading into 2008. If that is followed by a stellar year his value would well & truly increase for 2009 and beyond !!
. . .. Clarke, who turns 24 on Friday, yesterday said: "I've always said I wasn't going anywhere. I've agreed to one year at the moment. Hopefully, I'll be in a position to negotiate mid-season for an extension." (Hun)

Solar
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:
Eastern wrote:X may have only wanted a 1 year deal so that he can have a full pre-season heading into 2008. If that is followed by a stellar year his value would well & truly increase for 2009 and beyond !!
. . .. Clarke, who turns 24 on Friday, yesterday said: "I've always said I wasn't going anywhere. I've agreed to one year at the moment. Hopefully, I'll be in a position to negotiate mid-season for an extension." (Hun)
very sound management from both sides. Now he needs to concentrate on having a good preseason and getting fit.

Thats everyone signed up for another year :)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Megamaguire
Club Player

Get as fit as you can Xavier

When our'X'-factor is fit and 'on' he is beautiful to watch. Ienjoyed his reading of the play and passing around the forward line. Hope to goodness he has put his injury concerns behind him.

Hoping it all comes together for Xavier now as he is a fantastic fella !
G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
The Peanut wrote:
very sound management from both sides. Now he needs to concentrate on having a good preseason and getting fit.

Bakes???

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Solar
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Solar wrote:
The Peanut wrote:

Bakes???
can't see him going anywhere, with his record and the fact he would miss the first 5 rounds no other club would touch him. Will sign.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
savatage
SS Life Member

1 year is spot on. Others were saying a 3 year deal was appropriate, I just have to shake my head.

1 year - truly make or break.

Saint Mik
Club Player

Another GOOD decision by the club very well run this joint but we will turn it on its head anyway just for the sake of change and disruption instead of just getting on with the task of improving in 08

Still got my proxy in my pocket because decisions like this are smart for everyone and it just makes you think about the situation we could be heading into.

How many other clubs have kept ALL of there talent over the last few years.

Can someone PLEASE explain where we are in all sorts of trouble going forward because my head wont stop shaking :shock:

ONLY explain to me things that WONT or CANT be done come the start of the 08 season because i'm confused we seem to be ticking along very nicley in my eyes got some money to spend all our players are being well managed injuries were good in the last half of the year and will continue into 08 now that RL and Co. have had a good look into the problems.

Learning from past mistakes seems like a better option than making new ones i think there is nothing that CANT be fixed IF its broken at all, it just seems that everyone has had a bigger knee jerk reaction than poor old Sammy.

Just cant get past the fact that we will improve next year and we would improve alot easier without all this outside dissruptions to the club.
If its not the past coach its the past players and what are we in for come the 08 season the past prez where will it all end really and is it all worth the trouble.

WHY IS OUR CLUB LIKE THIS????? :oops:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
fingers
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:
That's good to hear thanks for posting. Sounds look a good alround decision.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to hear Archie Fraser on SEN this morning.

Said that the football department is "miles" in front of where it was at this time last year, and that Lyon and the assistants are well prepared already for list decisions etc.

Sounded positive.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think you can read it us that Clarke wants more money......and that the Club has said that you CAN be worth more...but needs to deliver more.

Hence a one year deal...if he DELIVERS more he renegotiates and get more.

As Clarke CAN deliver more but has not he would be reluctant to sign up for 2 or 3 years on what he is currently worth...the Club offering a contact on what he HAS been delivering.

soa good deal for both parties...Clarke not locked in to too cheapa deal IFF he delivers...and the club not locked into paying too much in case he doesn't.

If Clarke improves....then he gets more...but only after he has shown the goods.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saint Mik
Club Player

Sounded positive F*** we cant have that quick get a drugs story going or even better lets lose one of our gun players or return a million dollar loss.

YEP that should do it to keep the proxy's rolling in :roll:

The futures so bright i've gotta wear shades 8-) who sang that song and where the F*** did that come from :shock: :lol:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Interesting to hear Archie Fraser on SEN this morning.

Said that the football department is "miles" in front of where it was at this time last year, and that Lyon and the assistants are well prepared already for list decisions etc.

Sounded positive.
i would hope so concidering this time last year whe had no coaching staff at all and KS was doing all the list management stuff

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Mooksy
Club Player

This is very intelligent by the club. He doesn't deserve more than one year and he still has to prove himself. I would have been angry with more than one year.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik give the doob back to Choota and Foxy and relax. 8-)

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Davo027
Club Player

Xavier Srn ( X's & Raf's father) is undergoing chemo at the moment :( ....maybe thats why the contract is for a year?...

BTW St Marys Football club is hosting a fundraising event this Saturday to support the costs of the treatment.

Donations can also be sent : Xavier Clarke (srn) Fund
St Marys football club PO Box 972 Darwin 0801

For more info www.saints.com.au

The above views are those of the author and not necessarily those of the clubs or the AFL.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Davo027 wrote:Xavier Srn ( X's & Raf's father) is undergoing chemo at the moment :( ....maybe thats why the contract is for a year?...

BTW St Marys Football club is hosting a fundraising event this Saturday to support the costs of the treatment.

Donations can also be sent : Xavier Clarke (srn) Fund
St Marys football club PO Box 972 Darwin 0801
All the very best to the entire Clarke family !!

Saints94
SS Life Member

I thought he would have got a new 2 year contract aswell :roll:

Duggie
Club Player

I thought that this year X-Man showed signs of turning on his bets form. The offer is a wise one, both for the Club and him. I fail to see the connection between his father's condition and the contract though unless it means he would want to be released if the old chap does not pull through. :lol:

A Saint Forever!