Blues in the black

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Blues in the black

AFL handout, Pratt's party ensure $3 Million Carlton profit.

The major part of their income was a $2.2 Million AFL handout.

A fund-raising event at president Richard Pratt's residence in March also contributed $2 Million.

In a run of searing losses since John Elliott's board was toppled in 2003, the Blues last year posted a loss of $3.2 Million.

They started 2007 with a debt of $8 Million, but $1.5 Million of this year's profit will wipe that back to $6.5 Million.

Another $1 Million has or will be spent in the football department, including recruiting.

And with Dick and the resources of Visy, that's been an enormous filip.

Membership climbed from 28,756 to 35,431 which meant an $850,000- increase.

And average crowd attendances increased from 33,000 to 41,000.

Influentual supporters pledged $1Million.

Blue chip Carlton supporters, including real estate developer John Gandel, NAB boss Ahmed Fahour and Onesteel chairman, Peter Smedley were among 70 guests invited.

Interesting read isn't it?

But St Kilda do not have a Pratt.

And St Kilda do not have the array of well-heeled supporters Carlton has - and attracts.

IF St Kilda had someone such as Pratt putting their hand up and saying that they were going to support the club and develop it to the next level, you would most obviously waste no time putting out the welcome mat and inviting them in.

And, no doubt, the current board would step aside, gracefully.

But that ain't what we have got at St Kilda - not by any stretch of the imagination.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

can we recruit the Indian Cricket team to donate whilst their here later in the year- Warney can get them on board?

they have just come into $3.1 mill for winning the 20/20

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Blues in the black?

Says who?

TTT the man with his hand on it, whoops, I mean on the pulse, oh dear I think I got it right first time.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
To the top
SS Life Member

Direct quotes from the "Herald Sun", Bernie, you old salt.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Blues in the black?

Says who?
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=36574
link included here ;

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
JeffDunne

Posting somebody's work without due credit is what is known as plagiarism TTT.

Pretty basic stuff I would have thought for someone so educated.

Anyhow, as for the article, handouts from the AFL and donations from Visy suppliers is hardly a business plan for sustained success.

To the top
SS Life Member

Just waiting to reel in the obvious from types like you.

Didn't take long coming, did it?

And the only point I made in regards the article was "interesting reading".

So even for offering this observation, "interesting reading", slags like you attack!

And the fact that St Kilda do not have such resources I would have thought was plainly obvious.

St Kilda is more in the "Snow Deli" market.

JeffDunne

'Slags' . . . classy.

Guess I need to be 'educated' to stoop to classy lines like that? :roll:

Can I ask TTT, when Pratt took his money away in disgust after his man was shown the door - as he recently described as 'the greatest football administrator I have ever met' - where were all the other 'well-heeled supporters' when the club almost went down the gurgler?

Finally though an admission from you that you post here to troll. Interesting too that you've again slipped out of 'character'. Are we starting to get to you?

I'd suggest it's time this Carlton troll packed his bags and headed back to where your type are more welcome.

bungiton
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:This one time at band camp..... I couldn't find any vasoline, but a helpful gentleman offered me a handful of spit and we both had Nor Wood all night long

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

TTT please quote yourself correctly.
You said "interesting read isn't it?", not "interesting reading".

"interesting read" intimates that it came from you, whearas "interesting reading" intimates you got it elsewhere.

In any case, since when has the small paper been such a great source of accurate information, you old wanker?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Is pratt facing a jail term for price fixing, or is it just fines ?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Snakeman66
Club Player

To the top wrote:Direct quotes from the "Herald Sun", Bernie, you old salt.
And the forum rules state:
» All news copied from other sources must be credited. If the material does not belong to you, credit the source/author.
:P :P :P

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Blues in the black

To the top wrote:AFL handout, Pratt's party ensure $3 Million Carlton profit.

The major part of their income was a $2.2 Million AFL handout.

A fund-raising event at president Richard Pratt's residence in March also contributed $2 Million.

In a run of searing losses since John Elliott's board was toppled in 2003, the Blues last year posted a loss of $3.2 Million.

They started 2007 with a debt of $8 Million, but $1.5 Million of this year's profit will wipe that back to $6.5 Million.

Another $1 Million has or will be spent in the football department, including recruiting.

And with Dick and the resources of Visy, that's been an enormous filip.

Membership climbed from 28,756 to 35,431 which meant an $850,000- increase.

Influentual supporters pledged $1Million.

Blue chip Carlton supporters, including real estate developer John Gandel, NAB boss Ahmed Fahour and Onesteel chairman, Peter Smedley were among 70 guests invited.

Interesting read isn't it?

But St Kilda do not have a Pratt.

And St Kilda do not have the array of well-heeled supporters Carlton has - and attracts.

IF St Kilda had someone such as Pratt putting their hand up and saying that they were going to support the club and develop it to the next level, you would most obviously waste no time putting out the welcome mat and inviting them in.

And, no doubt, the current board would step aside, gracefully.

But that ain't what we have got at St Kilda - not by any stretch of the imagination.

over the toip's post is a direct oinch from an article in the herald-sun...i note that no reference is made to the article...and the post therefore contravenes forum guidelines.......

,,,probably steals all his material though.....

here's the original article....

"
Blues in the black
27 September 2007 Herald Sun
Mark Robinson

CARLTON is poised to post a record profit and a record turnaround in what are the first signs the black clouds are lifting from Princes Park.

Greg Swann
Getting out of the red: Carlton chief executive Greg Swann.

The Blues will announce a profit of $3.1 million, which is believed to be a record for a Melbourne-based club, and a stunning turnaround of $6.3 million from the previous year.

A major part of its income was a $2.2 million AFL handout.

A fundraising event at president Richard Pratt's Raheen residence in March also contributed $2 million.

In a run of searing losses since John Elliott's board was toppled in 2003, the Blues last year posted a loss of $3.2 million.

They started 2007 with a debt of $8 million, but $1.5 million of this year's profit will wipe that back to $6.5 million.

Another $1 million has or will be spent in the football department, including recruiting.

Carlton chief executive Greg Swann yesterday was delighted with the expected return. "It's a big number," Swann said.

"It's a fantastic result and it's indicative of the rebirth of the club.

"There is a really good spirit around the club and a lot of people have returned to the club, it's an exciting place to be.

"And with Dick and the resources of Visy, that's been an enormous filip."

The unofficial revenue increases have come from all departments.

Membership climbed from 28,756 to 35,431 which meant an $850,000 increase.

Commercial operations, which includes club functions and sponsorship, increased by $900,000.

Merchandise and match returns increased by $600,000.

The much-hyped fundraising event at Raheen raised $2 million in just a couple of hours.

Influential supporters pledged $1 million and Pratt matched the amount which was raised.

Blue chip Carlton supporters, including real estate developer John Gandel, National Australia Bank boss Ahmed Fahour and Onesteel chairman Peter Smedley were among 70 guests invited.

Swann said the club would inject further revenue into the football department in 2008.

The Blues, meanwhile, still haven't made a decision on 2007 captain Lance Whitnall who recently underwent knee surgery.

His manager, Ricky Nixon, expects his charge to be offered a one-year deal.

The Blues maintain temperamental superstar forward Brendan Fevola will play at Carlton next year. "He's fine," Swan said. They are still waiting for an answer on Chris Judd's future, although they fear Collingwood might have the front-running.

Also, the Blues are unlikely to entertain West Coast assistant Peter Sumich for its final assistant coaching role.

An announcement for that position is expected soon. "

....what a fw......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
To the top
SS Life Member

Bungiton, your response by atttributing something to me that I have never posted speaks to your lack of substance, not mine.

I note you present as coming from WA.

Have some great mates over there - and when the Saints play there we get up to Broome for a week's fishing.

Hire a boat, stay on board and have a great time.

Even get serious about the fishing - although I prefer trawling for marlin off Narooma (where I have a holiday home), out past Montague Island. Mind you getting accross the bar can be tricky at times.

That is really sport!

And Narooma Golf Club has one particular hole on the front 9.

Enjoy your life!!

Trust you get to see St Kilda win its SECOND premiership in 2008, or sometime shortly after.

Were you around in 1966?

That was the year St Kilda won its ONLY premiership, wasn't it?

Gee whiz, I was playing under 19's footy then, and it was the year (65/66) I made my A Grade District cricket debut. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Against Port Adelaide and made 17 - in about an hour and a half! Big Marrett, who rucked for Port Adelaide, had me caught behind down leg side trying to glance.

I am a couple of years retired now, doing this and that when it pleases me.

Where did those years go?

Got to play in a couple of premiership sides along the way though, in both footy and cricket.

So there are a couple of places I can go and still see the photograph on the wall.

That is what it is all about, isn't it?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Hand still firmly on it, I see.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

To the top wrote:Bungiton, your response by atttributing something to me that I have never posted speaks to your lack of substance, not mine.

I note you present as coming from WA.

Have some great mates over there - and when the Saints play there we get up to Broome for a week's fishing.

Hire a boat, stay on board and have a great time.

Even get serious about the fishing - although I prefer trawling for marlin off Narooma (where I have a holiday home), out past Montague Island. Mind you getting accross the bar can be tricky at times.

That is really sport!

And Narooma Golf Club has one particular hole on the front 9.

Enjoy your life!!

Trust you get to see St Kilda win its SECOND premiership in 2008, or sometime shortly after.

Were you around in 1966?

That was the year St Kilda won its ONLY premiership, wasn't it?

Gee whiz, I was playing under 19's footy then, and it was the year (65/66) I made my A Grade District cricket debut. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Against Port Adelaide and made 17 - in about an hour and a half! Big Marrett, who rucked for Port Adelaide, had me caught behind down leg side trying to glance.

I am a couple of years retired now, doing this and that when it pleases me.

Where did those years go?

Got to play in a couple of premiership sides along the way though, in both footy and cricket.

So there are a couple of places I can go and still see the photograph on the wall.

That is what it is all about, isn't it?
You can't see or hear it, but I am standing in front of the keyboard and applauding you.

We share adulation of the same hero. You!!

I want to be just like you when I grow up !!

Who do you want to be like when you grow up?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Operational loss of $1.1 million

Things are ticking along nicely at Carlton :roll:

Without Pratt, they either would have folded or been relocated by now. Very fortunate.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.