David Misson gets the gig as Saints fitness adviser

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stjohn
Club Player

David Misson gets the gig as Saints fitness adviser

From the Herald Sun, today...
Key fitness staffer Andrew Weller has left the club.

Weller, a physiotherapist who helped fill the fitness training breach over summer in the Craig Starcevich-Peter Mulkearns transition, was coming out of contract.

Fraser said he would be replaced within a month.

titled edited by mods for clarity

" I am a loyal person and at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know I am a St Kilda person for life. That was something that has heavily influenced my decision.â€
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

well hints had it that Misson was coming to us...if Weller has gone lets hope that Misson is stitched up.

However Misson is a much more senior and knowledgeable person that Weller.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Hmm..another fitness staff member who decides not to renew or resigns...... because of the sub-standard facilities and budget they have to work with??

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

DAMN YOU GT...er wait a minute... :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

most physio/fitness advisers would come with a 3 year plan to turn around the injury problem at a club ...its any wonder we are crippled from injury no one lasts more then one year !!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
my les foote
Club Player

Another story in the age today:

ST KILDA has turned to David Misson, the Sydney conditioning coach with the best reputation in the game, to solve its long-standing injury problems.

Misson, Sydney's elite performance manager for seven seasons, is expected to sign with the Saints today after considering an offer from Carlton.

Misson worked with St Kilda coach Ross Lyon in Sydney when Lyon was an assistant to Paul Roos and in his time established an injury management and prevention record with the Swans that was unparalleled. The club used a league-low number 32 players in its 2005 premiership campaign and just 31 players in 2006.

The Swans have not used more than 33 players in any of Roos' first four full seasons as coach.

It is understood that St Kilda's football operations manager, Ken Sheldon, received confirmation last night of Misson's decision to join the Saints, who began suffering an unexplained and extraordinary number of soft-tissue injuries as far back as 2002.

STEPHEN RIELLY

Win it for HIM!
SaintWodonga
Club Player

my les foote wrote:Another story in the age today:

ST KILDA has turned to David Misson, the Sydney conditioning coach with the best reputation in the game, to solve its long-standing injury problems.

Misson, Sydney's elite performance manager for seven seasons, is expected to sign with the Saints today after considering an offer from Carlton.

Misson worked with St Kilda coach Ross Lyon in Sydney when Lyon was an assistant to Paul Roos and in his time established an injury management and prevention record with the Swans that was unparalleled. The club used a league-low number 32 players in its 2005 premiership campaign and just 31 players in 2006.

The Swans have not used more than 33 players in any of Roos' first four full seasons as coach.

It is understood that St Kilda's football operations manager, Ken Sheldon, received confirmation last night of Misson's decision to join the Saints, who began suffering an unexplained and extraordinary number of soft-tissue injuries as far back as 2002.

STEPHEN RIELLY
Thats got to be good news for us!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Wizsteppa
Club Player

Excellent news if confirmed.Have heard this guy was a key component in the Swans' success in the last couple of years injury wise.Worked with the aussie cricket team prior to that.

Cant possibly imagine why he would want to go to Carlton though,not when he had been working with RL at Sydney for so many years.

More reason for me to get excited already about next season.Ahh can feel it in my bones.Premiers 08.

Snakeman66
Club Player

From the HS

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

Saints' Misson statement28 September 2007 Herald Sun
Daryl Timms

ST KILDA has taken another major step to rectifying its fitness and injury rehabilitation programs by snaring Sydney's elite performance manager David Misson.

The Swans have been the envy of opposition clubs with the shortest injury list in the league, while the Saints have often been at the other end of the ledger.

Misson, who was also the Australian cricket team's fitness guru for two years before joining the Swans at the end of 2001, is understood to have been pursued by Carlton.

He has moved to Melbourne after his wife Catherine was appointed principal at Melbourne Girls Grammar.

Misson worked alongside St Kilda coach Ross Lyon when he was an assistant at Sydney to Paul Roos.

"My wife has followed me around for 10 years in my job, so I thought it was about time to reciprocate," Misson said. "At Sydney the actual title was elite performance manager. But with the physio and the doc we managed the whole process, so it was was a real team effort."

Misson said both he and the Saints wanted to turn around St Kilda's injury problems because the team's better players were very good.

"To keep them all on the park is half the battle," Misson said.

"I'm pretty good mates with Ross and we had a good, strong relationship in Sydney and that's something I want to re-establish."

St Kilda president Rod Butterss said yesterday the club was delighted with Misson's appointment, which would be a key in keeping the team's players fit and injury-free.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Curse you Rod Buttersss

Curse you to HELL!!

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't one of the reasons GT ruined our club the lack of continuity in our fitness staff?

So one year in, we change again?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

This is....about as good as it gets though Foxy...

This guy is the cats meow, the bee's knees....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Wasn't one of the reasons GT ruined our club the lack of continuity in our fitness staff?

I think Rodger that you would be probably the only Saints fan that could see gaining Misson in a negative light?????

Besides the problem what I have been told by various sources including an ex-club Doc was lack of real knowledge and expertise.

In Misson we gain this..

In the recent appointment of Ross and the AIS guys we gain this....

These are steps forward Roger.....

Starch wasa great pick up for us.....but unfortunately his wife ruined that appointment as she would not live in Melbourne...so Starch resigned.

However Misson is >> than Starch.

This is a plus...not a negative.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

as long as he is nothing like the doc off any given sunday we'll be alright...oh wait maybe we could do with one of them

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Wasn't one of the reasons GT ruined our club the lack of continuity in our fitness staff?

I think Rodger that you would be probably the only Saints fan that could see gaining Misson in a negative light?????

Besides the problem what I have been told by various sources including an ex-club Doc was lack of real knowledge and expertise.

In Misson we gain this..

In the recent appointment of Ross and the AIS guys we gain this....

These are steps forward Roger.....

Starch wasa great pick up for us.....but unfortunately his wife ruined that appointment as she would not live in Melbourne...so Starch resigned.

However Misson is >> than Starch.

This is a plus...not a negative.
I didn't say it was a negative.

It just seems we aren't consistent with our public statements and what we actually do.

st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

If Geelong win the flag this season.....does that mean we will have one of their assistants as coach is 09, and their fitness person aswell.... :roll:

Why are we always copying (stealing) personnel, ideas GP's from other clubs, can't we actually set a trend....

What is successful today, is outdated tommorrow...

Saint Mik
Club Player

St mart, Misson is regarded as the best in the comp so stop FARKING complaining about another GOOD decision from the club.

This is great news well done saints another step in the right direction for the 08 season just a pitty that so many dont think we are in good hands.

Next thing we wont be happy with is our new sponsor willing to put plenty on the table. :roll:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Hmm..another fitness staff member who decides not to renew or resigns...... because of the sub-standard facilities and budget they have to work with??
Indeed.

Whilst Misson is a huge get for us, he'll walk quickly also if the 500K or whatever SFF spends next year doesn't translate quickly into better resources.

It's one thing committing the money - building/creating the facilities is entirely another matter!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
yipper
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:[
Whilst Misson is a huge get for us, he'll walk quickly also if the 500K or whatever SFF spends next year doesn't translate quickly into better resources.

It's one thing committing the money - building/creating the facilities is entirely another matter!
No he won't - has been down there and seen the facilities. Great mates with the coach and would not walk out on him. His wife's a Melb girl.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
saint66au wrote:Hmm..another fitness staff member who decides not to renew or resigns...... because of the sub-standard facilities and budget they have to work with??
Indeed.

Actually, I don't think that SFF have committed to a figure that they will be increasing spending by. The 500K figure is what RB claims his team will spend additionally on football matters.

Anyway it seems that it is a good coup for SFF to get this fitness guru to our Club!

GrumpyOne

Look forward to seeing our guys doing their pre- and post game stretches in Missonary positions.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:St mart, Misson is regarded as the best in the comp so stop FARKING complaining about another GOOD decision from the club.

This is great news well done saints another step in the right direction for the 08 season just a pitty that so many dont think we are in good hands.

:
Eaxctly...this appointment is GREAT news....

Saint Mik
Club Player

Now now saintsRrising lets not get to positive its not good for those that want to bag the club every day.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
The Peanut
Club Player

It certainly appears to be a great thing to happen for the club. RB will squeeze as much propaganda from this that he possibly can and that is his right - it has the potential to be no small thing.

In the area of St Kilda politics I have a niggling in the back of my mind that Ross Lyon may have had at least a 'small amount' to do with this initiative - but then again RL was appointed by the current board. Still - I won't be back-tracking on my proxy to the NB/GW ticket no matter what the current board pull out of their hat. I am well aware that not everything done under the incumbent board has been negative but this is just 'too little too late' to play catch-up for mine and I believe that some new blood at the top will be very refreshing.

Nonetheless, in the mean time if Rod's boardbroom do some of the things we really need to either help us win a GF or improve our general development to be a powerful club I hope that I will be respectful enough to direct the credit where it is due.

Although it appears that GW will be heading the board next year, whatever happens we should be much better off for the board challenge - if it does nothing more than highlight our needs and demands positive action plans to continue, repair or restart the required processes.

Thanks heaps for this coup Rod and Co.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saying that we are "copying" other clubs is a pretty shallow view on things....

It has been clear to most that the Saints need to address:

*player conditioning and fitness management. = Now appears to have been done.

*player development. We would appear to be doing more in this area now with development coaches etc having been appointed.....and aso with greater use now being made of rookies..

*addressing player list weaknesses. Well while no club is perfect we do have some clear weakness. From the statements by Ross he is well aware of them....but needs several trade periods to put the list back in balance.

More run and pace thru the midfield. We need more mids and some who have pace.

A full back. Still need one..though Gilbert is a possibility.

Another small medium forward. Hamil, Sweeney and Voss all gone....the cupboard is bare.

A ruckman. Will Gardies feet shape up?? If not we are in trouble still. Kosi is a great No2 but is not a No 1.

* Gameplan The players got the hang of the new plan, or I should say gameplans...as the KEY difference now is how we play when the opposition has control of the ball. We are no longera one dimensional team. In 2006 we are pretty hopeless when good teams were switched on and we could do little to stop their fow and control. In 2007 the players LEARNT how to play well when the opposition had the ball. this will hold us in good stead for 2008. Our pretty much existing gameplan of what to do fell down for the firsat half of the season befoe the players reagained their ability to use the ball quickly and well..and with confidence.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 28 Sep 2007 11:34am, edited 2 times in total.