Are we not ugly enough?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Are we not ugly enough?

Heard a drunken Jonothon Brown last night make a comment about Jimmy Bartel.

The comment was along the lines of him being an old fashioned footballer who'd be out milking the cows rather than getting a facial like alot of others.

It made me think.

It made me think harder when I saw Dal doing his JT impersonation and Joey and the others dressed up (and looking quite at home) as chicks.

Are we not hard enough? Are we more concerned with being metrosexuals than footballers?

With all the waxed legs and eyebrows and tips in the hair, I'm srtating to think we need to get harder all round.

Look at Brisbane, Port, Sydney and to an extent West Coast - they aren't top heavy with metrosexuals.

They are top heavy with blue collar workers who have heads like half eaten pasties.

Is that the key to success? Being ugly?

Look at Geelong. Some would argue that Geelong games should only be shown on TV after 9:30pm to protect the children.

Let's look closer at Geelong. Cam Mooney was copping flack for being in all the fashion mags with his long locks and pouting poses. So was Andrew Mackie. They shelved the off-field prancing and hardened up as footballers.

The results are showing.

They are footballers first - and B Grade celebs second. In some cases the celeb status has been shelved completely.

So, the question is - are we not ugly enough?

Do we have to introduce a non-Metrosexual policy this pre-season? No hair dye or body wax is to come within 2kms of the club. No rectums or scrotums to be waxed, no eyebrows, no chests or legs - nothing!

Thank you for your time.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

It made me think harder when I saw Dal doing his JT impersonation and Joey and the others dressed up (and looking quite at home) as chicks.

Anything else that may back this up

:roll: :roll:

saint4life
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i dont think anyone who watches football can accuse lenny, ball and dal of not being hard enough.

ball came back two weeks early from an injury that saw internal bleeding in head.

if anything ball and lenny can be TOO BRAVE.

as for dal, has been accused of being soft, and outside, but one need only look at his tackle count to know he goes in and gets the hardball himself.

there are some saints who are not as hard as the above 3 mention, but to suggest that our midfield isn't hard enough, even if implied, is ridiculous.

heck crawford was probably one of the arch stereotypes of the proto metro, but probably behind harvey is one of the hardest working midfielders. A complete clown on TV and the radio, but only the naive and ignorant would project that onto his on field form and dedication.

as for reiwoldt, i'm pretty sure 95% of geniune football supporters think he sometimes is so focussed on winning the ball he doesn't put his own health and safety to the fore, same could be said of max, v2, hamill andy thompson, nathan burke etc.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Maybe Dal & Joey are mates with De La Hoya

Last edited by The Saintsational Man on Fri 28 Sep 2007 10:28am, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:i dont think anyone who watches football can accuse lenny, ball and dal of not being hard enough.

ball came back two weeks early from an injury that saw internal bleeding in head.

if anything ball and lenny can be TOO BRAVE.

as for dal, has been accused of being soft, and outside, but one need only look at his tackle count to know he goes in and gets the hardball himself.

there are some saints who are not as hard as the above 3 mention, but to suggest that our midfield isn't hard enough, even if implied, is ridiculous.

heck crawford was probably one of the arch stereotypes of the proto metro, but probably behind harvey is one of the hardest working midfielders. A complete clown on TV and the radio, but only the naive and ignorant would project that onto his on field form and dedication.

as for reiwoldt, i'm pretty sure 95% of geniune football supporters think he sometimes is so focussed on winning the ball he doesn't put his own health and safety to the fore, same could be said of max, v2, hamill andy thompson, nathan burke etc.
There's being hard on the field, and there's being hard off it.

Trent Croad copped the same flack years ago. He was considered more interested in his appearance and off-field abilities than his footy.

He addressed it, and is now the best CHB in the comp.

I'm not suggesting our guys are soft on the field, just perhaps not 110% off the field.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
Remember though, that he was widely criticised for this not long ago, as his 'TV career' was seen to be hindering his form.

He addressed it, and went back to career best form. Alastair Clarkson made him address it.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The Bulldog poonces strutting around in the cheapo Peter Jackson suits springs to mind also.

Telling the world how sharp and charasmatic they are, prancing around like their faeces isn't pungent - all the while their footy season is going down the drain.

GrumpyOne

Three post in a row Rodg, is the record in jeopardy?

Oh sh1t, I've ruined it. :cry:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

It made me think harder when I saw Dal doing his JT impersonation
Not that theres anything wrong with that ;-) f'nar f'nar

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saint Mik
Club Player

Problem solved i've hard and long about this!!

Bring back PLUGGER he will sort this problem out if there is one in about 20 minutes and one visit to the players home.

Bit of a straight guy eye for the metro guy :wink:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:Problem solved i've hard and long about this!!

Bring back PLUGGER he will sort this problem out if there is one in about 20 minutes and one visit to the players home.

Bit of a straight guy eye for the metro guy :wink:
cool idea!

Can he take out our current Prez also at the bar??? :wink:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saint Mik
Club Player

Ive thought long and hard about this :oops:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Burkey will ugly the place up once he's on the board.

I think we need to get more nasty than ugly.

Those guys can enter Miss World for all I care, but once they take the field they need to be as hard as nails.

We need to be feared for our aggression and attack on the ball.

carn_sainter
Club Player

this has to be a joke

i agree with rodgerfox about the creation of footy myths...so, the very guy who hates coming up with/inventing reasons for success is now suggesting that wearing a flanny is going to win you a premiership?

seriously, one of the worst ideas i've heard...

does it strike nobody as contradictory that aaron hamill is possibly the biggest appearance fussed 'metrosexual' going aroud?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:this has to be a joke

i agree with rodgerfox about the creation of footy myths...so, the very guy who hates coming up with/inventing reasons for success is now suggesting that wearing a flanny is going to win you a premiership?

does it strike nobody as contradictory that aaron hamill is possibly the biggest appearance fussed 'metrosexual' going aroud?
I've heard he bleaches his prune.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:this has to be a joke

concur, I dont think luke ball, nick riewoldt, kosi, hayes, etc could be harder on the field short of killing themselves ceremonially with ancient scottish claymores.

frankly as long as they dont break the law etc, I dont care what they do off the field, if they get manicures, pedicures, shag each other, etc, attacking them because they wear spiffy suits and take care of themselves pfft.

I kind of wish all our players had the endeavour of ball/hayes/reiwoldt etc.

and even with all that work, suits etc, reiwoldt aint no oil painting :lol:

our players haven't been involved in drunken attacks on people (FG's charges were downgraded and its clear that he was periphery to the whole thing, none of players WHILE AT ST KILDA have been accused of drugs cheating, the allegations against monty and milne were never even charged, etc etc)

by and large Im happy with the majority of the kids we have down at linton street.

SHUT UP KRIME!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

By the way, who was the last metrosexual to collect a premiership medallion?

bob__71
Club Player

I think ugliness is over rated. Richmond in the nineties were one of the ugliest footy sides i have ever seen what with richo and the Gale brothers etc.....it never did them any good

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

cousins, hunter, waters...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:By the way, who was the last metrosexual to collect a premiership medallion?
1/2 the sydney swans side, jude bolton out metros anyone else, daniel kerr, is their a bigger nightclub party boy than cousins? you just have to look at the port adelaide team list to know that they 2/3 of the first names never existed before 1980 in any kids name book, matty lloyd, captain metro, he was waxing his legs before in a time when guys got beaten up for that sort of behaviour.

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

The whole west coast team foxy.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:Trent Croad copped the same flack years ago. He was considered more interested in his appearance and off-field abilities than his footy.

He addressed it
Debatable but that's another story for another day.........

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:I've heard he bleaches his prune.
Ok now thats way 2 much info.....

saintm
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:
you just have to look at the port adelaide team list to know that they 2/3 of the first names never existed before 1980 in any kids name book,
They probably are there Dan, they just have a variety of spellings these days!! :)

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:
you just have to look at the port adelaide team list to know that they 2/3 of the first names never existed before 1980 in any kids name book,
They probably are there Dan, they just have a variety of spellings these days!! :)
simon with two qs and a silent p.... :roll:

SHUT UP KRIME!