2008 Draft Discussion/Information - Player Profiles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

goodie
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote:Should Collingwood's selections be a bit later? I have them with their selections after West Coast and Hawthorn, possibly even the Kangaroos?
I think you're right, draft selections are based on a ladder generated after the final. Hawthorn and West Coast bowed out week two of the finals, given Collingwood lost to the premiers I think they're third.

older saint
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:Thanks Davo, I had us in at 9, 27, 43 again this year because I assumed Carlton got two Priority picks, one at #1 and one at #18.
I beleive you can only receive 1 type of priority pick per season. So Carlton at 1 Richmond at 18 and 19 etc

samh

realistically who would you be happy to giveaway from the best 18 of 2007 for possibly a better player or 1st round draft picks?

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:Should Collingwood's selections be a bit later? I have them with their selections after West Coast and Hawthorn, possibly even the Kangaroos?
I think you're right, draft selections are based on a ladder generated after the final. Hawthorn and West Coast bowed out week two of the finals, given Collingwood lost to the premiers I think they're third.
I think its based on the ladder after round 22, not after finals...

goodie
Club Player

n1ck wrote:
goodie wrote:
I think its based on the ladder after round 22, not after finals...
Actually no, last year Sydney had pick 15 after losing to West Coast in the Granny, but finished 4th at the end of the home and away season. The round 22 ladder only effects picks 1-12 (9-12 indirectly)

Basically it goes (excluding priority picks and trades):

Picks 1-8: 16th-9th
9: Lower ranked elimination finalist loser
10: Higher ranked elimination finalist loser
11: Lower ranked semi finalist loser
12: Higher ranked semi finalist loser
13: Preliminary finalist defeated by runner up
14: Preliminary finalist defeated by premier
15: Runner up
16: Premier

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Goodie, I wasn't sure of the order. To me that makes sense, imagine the outcry if a team finished Top then went out in straight sets and had to wait until the eventual Premier made their draft picks.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

You have to add one to that list for Carltons priority pick.

Davo027
Club Player

Yes your right guys - updated list.

First Round
Priority Pick: 1 Carlton
2. Richmond
3. Carlton
4. Melbourne
5. Western Bulldogs
6. Essendon
7. Fremantle
8. Brisbane Lions
9. St Kilda
10. Adelaide
11. Sydney Swans
12. Hawthorn
13. West Coast Eagles
14. Collingwood
15. Kangaroos
16. Port Adelaide
17. Geelong
Priority Pick: 18. Richmond

Second Round
19. Richmond
20. Carlton
21. Melbourne
22. Western Bulldogs
23. Essendon
24. Fremantle
25. Brisbane Lions
26. St Kilda
27. Adelaide
28. Sydney Swans
29. Hawthorn
30. West Coast Eagles
31. Collingwood
32. Kangaroos
33. Port Adelaide
34. Geelong

Third Round
35. Richmond
36. Carlton
37. Melbourne
38. Western Bulldogs
39. Essendon
40. Fremantle
41. Brisbane Lions
42. St Kilda
43. Adelaide
44. Sydney Swans
45. Hawthorn
46. West Coast Eagles
47. Collingwood
48. Kangaroos
49. Port Adelaide
50. Geelong

Fourth Round
51. Richmond
52. Carlton
53. Melbourne
54. Western Bulldogs
55. Essendon
56. Fremantle
57. Brisbane Lions
58. St Kilda
59. Adelaide
60. Sydney Swans
61. Hawthorn
62. West Coast Eagles
63. Collingwood
64. Kangaroos
65. Port Adelaide
66. Geelong

Fifth Round
67. Richmond
68. Carlton
69. Melbourne
70. Western Bulldogs
71. Essendon
72. Fremantle
73. Brisbane Lions
74. St Kilda
75. Adelaide
76. Sydney Swans
77. Hawthorn
78. West Coast Eagles
79. Collingwood
80. Kangaroos
81. Port Adelaide
82. Geelong

This is an indicative list only, but clubs are required to have a minimum of three selections, with no maximum number imposed by AFL rules.

Priority draft picks
Two clubs have priority picks this year. Carlton has the No.1 overall selection and Richmond has an extra pick at the end of the first round – No.18. These selections can be traded to any other club, like any other draft pick.

Carlton secured the No.1 priority draft pick because the club won less than five games in two consecutive seasons. Richmond secured the second-round priority selection by winning fewer than five games in one season.

The Father-Son Rule
For every nominated father-son player, each club in the competition has the option to bid for the player, in reverse ladder order. If a bid is made, the club that nominated the father-son player must use its next available selection if it wishes to retain its hold on that player.

If the club nominating the father-son player declines to match the selection nominated, the club with the successful bid must use that selection at the draft on that player.

Any club that makes a successful bid on a father-son selection is bound to use the pick they nominate.

If no bid is made by another club, the club that nominated the father-son eligible player will forfeit its last selection in the draft to select the player.

The eligibility of players under the father-son rules differs depending upon the home state of the team making the selection. The basic rule, as applied to Victorian clubs, is that each club can select any player whose father played a minimum of 100 senior games for the side.

Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans can choose the sons of players who have appeared 100 times for either themselves or their predecessors, Fitzroy and the Brisbane Bears or the South Melbourne Football Club respectively.

West Australian and South Australian teams have modified rules in place, valid until the club has been in the AFL for 20 years, with eligibility to be determined by a certain number of games played for specific sides in state league:

Until October 31, 2007, West Coast can select any player whose father has made 150 WAFL appearances for Claremont, East Perth, West Perth or Subiaco.

Until October 31, 2010, Adelaide can select any player whose father played 200 SANFL appearances before 1990 for South Adelaide, Norwood, Glenelg or Sturt.

Until October 31, 2015, Fremantle may include any player whose father made 150 WAFL appearances for East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Perth or Swan Districts.

Until October 31, 2017, Port Adelaide may include any player whose father has made 200 SANFL appearances for Port Adelaide Magpies, North Adelaide, West Adelaide, Central District, Woodville or West Torrens.

For more info www.saints.com.au

The above views are those of the author and not necessarily those of the clubs or the AFL.
Davo027
Club Player

PS. give you a name Brent Connolly

The above views are those of the author and not necessarily those of the clubs or the AFL.
Stjohn
Club Player

Thanks davo27, here is an extract from.....

the afl.com.au about the Draft camp experience, from Brent....

Brent Connolly – Gippsland Power, VIC

"It was really daunting having the first interview, but once you get the first one out of the way, it's a lot easier. They want to see your personality, so you've got to be honest and try and portray yourself as best as possible. I had a chat to Geelong today and [St Kilda recruiter] Johnny Beveridge as well, so it's been good. I've also got a Freo one coming up and another with St Kilda, but clubs can just come up and grab you at any time, so you've got to be on your toes and put yourself forward as best as possible. So far the clubs I've spoken to have been similar. They try and get a background on you outside of football and also see where you can improve your game – what your strengths and weaknesses are. I've gone in with an open mind. You hear about Port Adelaide being tough, but you hope for the best."

" I am a loyal person and at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know I am a St Kilda person for life. That was something that has heavily influenced my decision.â€
Davo027
Club Player

2007 Draft camp results

20-metre sprints
David Gourdis – Subiaco (2.83)
Clayton Hinkley – North Ballarat Rebels (2.88)
Steven Gaertner – Dandenong Stingrays (2.88)

Agility
Aaron Joseph – Tassie Mariners (7.91)
Lachlan Hill – Oakleigh Chargers (8.05)
Clayton Hinkley – Dandenong Stingrays (8.07)

6 x 30m repeat sprints
Chris Kangars – Geelong Falcons (23.59)
Patrick Dangerfield – Geelong Falcons (23.96)
Cyril Rioli – Northern Territory Thunder (24.01)

Shuttle run (aka beep test)
Cale Morton – Claremont (15.2 – Level 15 Shuttle 2)
Joel Smouha – Mt Gravatt (15.1)
Brendan Whitecross – Zillmere (14.10)
Clayton Hinkley – North Ballarat Rebels (14.9)
Rhys Palmer – East Fremantle (14.8)
Scott Selwood – Bendigo Pioneers (14.7)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Thx Davo.

What's the eligibilty for the National Draft?

How come someone like Ferguson was able to be re-drafted by us, yet Judd is ineligible? Is it based on number of AFL games played???

goodie
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Thx Davo.

What's the eligibilty for the National Draft?

How come someone like Ferguson was able to be re-drafted by us, yet Judd is ineligible? Is it based on number of AFL games played???
We delisted Ferguson before the National Draft, if West Coast delist Judd before the ND (in other words as part of the first list lodgement), then I think he can nominate for that.

However as Carlton have pick one, I can't imagine West Coast doing that. It's more likely that if a deal with Carlton falls through, West Coast is likely to delist Judd after the National Draft at list lodgement two, forcing him into the pre-season draft where Richmond has first dibs.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

WC won't delist him but Judd's contract expires on Oct 31 and he will be free to nominate for the pre season draft. He can also nominate a salary and whatever club selects him is required to fit that into their salary cap.

Hence the talk that if a deal between WC & Carlton isn't done Judd will go to the PSD & nominate a huge salary to try & scare Richmond off.

goodie
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:WC won't delist him but Judd's contract expires on Oct 31 and he will be free to nominate for the pre season draft. He can also nominate a salary and whatever club selects him is required to fit that into their salary cap.

Hence the talk that if a deal between WC & Carlton isn't done Judd will go to the PSD & nominate a huge salary to try & scare Richmond off.
Given they've tried to buy just about every Saint and failed, Carlton should have a fair amount left

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

I dont think Judd wants to shaft West Coast. He wouldve made that clear to Carlton I would think and they would have to respect that.

goodie
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:I dont think Judd wants to shaft West Coast. He wouldve made that clear to Carlton I would think and they would have to respect that.
Carlton? Respect?

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:
SaintBot wrote:I dont think Judd wants to shaft West Coast. He wouldve made that clear to Carlton I would think and they would have to respect that.
Carlton? Respect?
have is the key word...The blues havnt got judd in the bag yet, he could easily go against them if they dont respect him

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Reckon those results will do wonders for Clayton Hinkley...

Quickest at the camp, third most agile and third best beep test result... fair effort there. Anybody with more info on him?

The Saints are coming!
luckysaint
Club Player

Apparently he's an well rounded athlete but a terrible kick

goodie
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:
goodie wrote:
Carlton? Respect?
have is the key word...The blues havnt got judd in the bag yet, he could easily go against them if they dont respect him
I got your point, was just bemused to see 'Carlton' and 'respect' in the same sentence

QuinnySainter4life

Rhys Palmer or Brad Ebert will get our pick

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Excues my ignorance but if a club retains a rookie for a 2nd year can that rookie still nominate or be selected during the National Draft which accorhing to the time line at the top of this thread is after the nominations for 2nd year rookies?
For anyone who's interested, I found out the answer from a mate's son who has been offered a 2nd year Rookie Contract. (I was hoping the Saints could have got him)

He said that if you get offered a 2nd Year Rookie Contract and sign it then that means the player cannot nominate for the National Draft. If he had chosen not to sign the contract he could take his chances with the National Draft. I believe the 2nd Year Rookie Contract is significantly more, closer to a 1st year listed player.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

This was posted on another thread but I think it should also be here.

It's from bigfooty and gives a pretty good run down on just about everyone who is a possibility of being drafted in this years National Draft.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388450

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame