Sponsorship and Morality

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Sponsorship and Morality

with hawthorn rumours to be linked with Gunns it raises the issue for me of sponsorship and morality.

IMO in the past we were sponsored by Phillip Morris. There were a lot of questions asked at the time, and they were eventually forced out by state legislation banning tobacco advertising, and they were not interested in re-signing under one of their food brands to focus on non tobacco related businesses.

would we accept money from anyone?

where would you draw the line of where we would take money from?

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

the sad thing is phillip morris was the only long term sponsership we have had for 30 years.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:the sad thing is phillip morris was the only long term sponsership we have had for 30 years.
And probably would still have had them as a mid-tier sponsor today if someone hadn't screwed it up by taking their sponsprship money and then allowing the VFA to put 'Quit' signs over the Philip Morris billboards at Moorabbin.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

they can't sponser any more, it's against the law.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

I think we should approach Channel 9 for sponsorship. I'll bet they'd be willing to pay some pretty big dollars, too.
Now that Eddie Everywhere no longer runs the place, there may be 1/2 a chance of making it happen.
Can you imagine the 'kerfuffle' if the Saints had a Channel 9 logo on the back of their guernseys. :lol:

GO SAINTS!!! "2008. NO EXCUSES!!"

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:the sad thing is phillip morris was the only long term sponsership we have had for 30 years.
And probably would still have had them as a mid-tier sponsor today if someone hadn't screwed it up by taking their sponsprship money and then allowing the VFA to put 'Quit' signs over the Philip Morris billboards at Moorabbin.
no the AFL pretty much shut them out in 1991.

they were given the option of sponsoring under one of their food brand names which they turned down.

the fight between the AFL and St Kilda reached the zenith when the Saints were asked to cover up their jumpers so as not to clash with WCE sponsors when we played in the WAca and the cheersquad were banned from putting upt he banner "saints light up Perth".

I think the AFL was right to ban tobacco sponsorship and still do.

however they were far heavier handed at us than some other clubs IMO.

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
no the AFL pretty much shut them out in 1991.

they were given the option of sponsoring under one of their food brand names which they turned down.

the fight between the AFL and St Kilda reached the zenith when the Saints were asked to cover up their jumpers so as not to clash with WCE sponsors when we played in the WAca and the cheersquad were banned from putting upt he banner "saints light up Perth".

I think the AFL was right to ban tobacco sponsorship and still do.

however they were far heavier handed at us than some other clubs IMO.

Yes they were even picking on us back then.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:they can't sponser any more, it's against the law.
They can sponsor the under name Philip Morris - there is no cigarette brand under that name.

All they wanted for their sponsorship money at the time was the 2 Billboards at Morrabbin (where no-one actually played any games so it had little/no commercial value) and the right to provide vending machines in the Social Club. It was basically a 'donation' from them and yet some bright spark allowed the VFA to cover up those billboards with 'Quit' when they leased the ground to them for their finals series.

They had accepted that they couldn't be the major sponsor anymore because of Government Legislation and even accepted that they were replaced by a competitor of theirs, Tooheys (Philip Morris owns Millers). As a sponsor they were fantastic for St Kilda but were treated shabbily.

The $20,000 we got from the VFA was a really good decision when you consider what we lost over it.

Now you can argue that morally we shouldn't have accepted sponsorship from a cigarette company but that is a different argument to accepting them and then treating them badly.

jill
Club Player

I remember when Schweppes were one of our sponsers & because Afl took cocacola on board we were made to "cover up" SCHW ads!! Consequently we lost them as sponsers! :cry:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

jill wrote:I remember when Schweppes were one of our sponsers & because Afl took cocacola on board we were made to "cover up" SCHW ads!! Consequently we lost them as sponsers! :cry:
and yet toyota and ford, hungry jacks and macdonalds can co-exist :roll:

noticed mortgage house on the sleeves of the storm as well :roll:

sure we've done some stupid things but the AFL certainly haven't been helpful.

SHUT UP KRIME!
stevos2151
Club Player

Before u get on your high horse, you are probably sitting at a desk made of wood.

Thomas
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:they can't sponser any more, it's against the law.
They can sponsor the under name Philip Morris - there is no cigarette brand under that name.

All they wanted for their sponsorship money at the time was the 2 Billboards at Morrabbin (where no-one actually played any games so it had little/no commercial value) and the right to provide vending machines in the Social Club. It was basically a 'donation' from them and yet some bright spark allowed the VFA to cover up those billboards with 'Quit' when they leased the ground to them for their finals series.

They had accepted that they couldn't be the major sponsor anymore because of Government Legislation and even accepted that they were replaced by a competitor of theirs, Tooheys (Philip Morris owns Millers). As a sponsor they were fantastic for St Kilda but were treated shabbily.

The $20,000 we got from the VFA was a really good decision when you consider what we lost over it.

Now you can argue that morally we shouldn't have accepted sponsorship from a cigarette company but that is a different argument to accepting them and then treating them badly.
Philip Morris is actually a cigarette brand, I don't know if it is still available in Australia, But yonks ago before I quit smoking Iremember it being sold, I occasionally bought a packet, it came in a blue and white packet, and tasted like camel s....

The philip Morris cigarette company took over various others companies and became the Philip Morris group.

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

You may be right, but at the time in the late 80's early 90's it was not a cigarette brand.

Their major brands back then were Peter Jackson, Alpine, Marlborough etc. and the legislation allowed them to advertise their name because it wasn't a cigarette brand.

Much like BAT (British American Tobacco) used to sponsor Formula 1 because it isn't an actual cigarette brand.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

phillip morris own half the brands of cigerettes...

Peter Jackson, Benson &Hedges, malbro, long beach ect ect

oh I think they also own kraft.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stevos2151 wrote:Before u get on your high horse, you are probably sitting at a desk made of wood.
Exactly.

What the fork is wrong with Gunns?

Don't they replant forests in Tassie for SUSTAINABLE logging?

It only takes about 8 years for new trees to grow to logging height.

They work in sections so that the forests can regrow and be reharvested.

This works long term.

Nuff of your greenie loving rubbish Dan!

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

nothing against logging, plenty against gunns using dioxins and cynide for poisoning, nothing against wood products, plenty of logging and wood supply firms manage to run effective business without resorting to the vile actions of Gunns.

plenty against a company that continues to break the law and the taswegian govt does nothing to stop them.

they use a series of poisons that affected the long term sustainability of the water supply in taswegia, they have bribed politicians (cox), they have threatened forestry workers attempting to enforce the law (channel 9), they have tried to silence folks with what was basically vexetious claims etc.

Gunns are about the dirtiest basta.rds going around. they have been accused of buying and selling labor and liberal politicians and the cox case, they brought down the last government that tried to oppose their illegal poisoning actions in 1989.

Gunns are scum.

SHUT UP KRIME!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
stevos2151 wrote:Before u get on your high horse, you are probably sitting at a desk made of wood.
Exactly.

What the fork is wrong with Gunns?

Don't they replant forests in Tassie for SUSTAINABLE logging?

It only takes about 8 years for new trees to grow to logging height.

They work in sections so that the forests can regrow and be reharvested.

This works long term.

Nuff of your greenie loving rubbish Dan!
Saintspremiers, that's straight out of the Gunns manual. What you've neglected to mention, apart from all of the facts Dan has listed is that they clearfell diverse bio-habitat that is thousands of years old and in some cases replace it with plantation timber. If you think that these two forests are the same thing and both support biodiversity then you must have read the Gunns manual cover to cover.
Real head in the sand stuff. Short term economic profit at the expense of biodiversity. Exactly what has lead us to the perilous state of the environment. But hey, why worry, we wont be here in 80 years when our kids have to deal with it. It's not sustainable mate, bottom line.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:[

Saintspremiers, that's straight out of the Gunns manual. What you've neglected to mention, apart from all of the facts Dan has listed is that they clearfell diverse bio-habitat that is thousands of years old and in some cases replace it with plantation timber. If you think that these two forests are the same thing and both support biodiversity then you must have read the Gunns manual cover to cover.
Real head in the sand stuff. Short term economic profit at the expense of biodiversity. Exactly what has lead us to the perilous state of the environment. But hey, why worry, we wont be here in 80 years when our kids have to deal with it. It's not sustainable mate, bottom line.
TBH if it was just that I wouldn't mind as much as the fact they are poisoning the water supply, for could be years...

some areas of Taswegia where gunns are working, you wouldnt even bath in teh bore water, and definately wouldn't feed it to children, its laced with cyanide in some cases, as they attempt to poison.

there have been more than enough evidence over the years of govt staff threatened with violence for collecting evidence against gunns.

and subsequent to the collapse of the 1989 labor govt with a bribe, to a labor politician, neither labor nor liberal have been able to stand up to gunns.

Im a pragmatist and not as left on economic issues as some on this forum, but gunns are the filth of the filth.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Grimfang
Club Player

For those interested, a 4-Corners report from 2004 into Gunns, its links into the Tasmanian Government and its practices.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/ ... 132778.htm

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
st.byron wrote:[

TBH if it was just that I wouldn't mind as much as the fact they are poisoning the water supply, for could be years...

some areas of Taswegia where gunns are working, you wouldnt even bath in teh bore water, and definately wouldn't feed it to children, its laced with cyanide in some cases, as they attempt to poison.

there have been more than enough evidence over the years of govt staff threatened with violence for collecting evidence against gunns.

and subsequent to the collapse of the 1989 labor govt with a bribe, to a labor politician, neither labor nor liberal have been able to stand up to gunns.

Im a pragmatist and not as left on economic issues as some on this forum, but gunns are the filth of the filth.

Yep agree with you Dan that these are also really poor corporate practices andn they've been doing it for a long time. I can appreciate the economic arguments, but they need to balanced against the cost. Gunns are indeed absolute scum, no question.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Two products you cant go wrong with.

Nuclear Weapons and
Tee Shirts.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Two products you cant go wrong with.

Nuclear Weapons and
Tee Shirts.
Nuclear powered t shirts ftw!

SHUT UP KRIME!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Two products you cant go wrong with.

Nuclear Weapons and
Tee Shirts.
Correct. But only one of them is worthwhile.