jason heatley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:
Riewoldting wrote:He was offered a lucrative deal selling fridges for Rick Hart, so moved back to Perth.

:wink:
so he went to freo??

cause this was around the time that i lost interest in following the saints due to

1. timid tim being coach - which even if my youth i figured wasn't a good thing

2. moving to qld where afl was considered...gayfl
I think he got delisted and went to Tasmania to play VFL. Has since moved back to Vic and coached a few sides I think.
yep....played for the tassie team in the vfl......i don't know where that wa crap comes from.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He just didn't want it bad enough.

Came back in 98 no fitter than 97. Was never a particularly strong contested mark and when opposition players played infront of him... they basically rendered him ineffective.

I heard rumours RE problem gambling and heavy drinking during the TW years... became very lazy and the coach refused to play him.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

He was a fantastic kick for goal. Seriously, one of the best you would ever see. Perfect technique.

Problem was, in 1997 he had a free run.. Did very well.

After that, every team in the comp realised he couldnt mark overhead and completely shut him down.

With harder work he may have prolonged his career.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
davev

JASON HEATLEY

GUYS I CAN HELP YOUR DISCUSSION AS THE FACTS ARE CLOSE BUT ALL OVER THE PLACE.
JASON CAME TO PERTH TO PLAY FOR SUBIACO FROM NTH HEIDELBERG.
WHEN HE SETTLED IN WA HE KICKED BIG BAGS FOR SUBI AND WAS PICKED UP BY WCE AND STRUGGLED TO GET A LOOK IN. HE KICKED 100 PLUS GOALS TWICE FOR SUBI AMONGST PLAYING ABOUT 3 GAMES FOR WCE.
I WORKED WITH JASON AT RICK HART WHICH WAS A RETRAVISION. RICK WAS A BIG SUPPORTER OF WAFL CLUBS AND ALSO EMPLOYED DARREN OBRIEN WHO PLAYED A FEW GAMES FOR MELBOURNE.

HEATERS GOOD MATE KANE OBRIEN ALSO CAME OVER FROM MELB AND ALSO PLAYED AT SUBIACO.

END OF 95 JASON WANTED TO EXPLORE CHANCES ELSEWHERE AND ME BEING A SALESMAN REPRESENTED HIM TO JOHN BEVERIDGE AND ALSO CALLED PETER ALLEN (RIP) TO SEE WHAT HE COULD EARN.

THE SAINTS TOOK HIM AND I NEVER GOT MY 5%!!

THE SAINTS PUNTED HIM AT THE END OF 98 TO WHICH TO TASSIE.
IF I RECALL HE MOVED BACK TO MELBOURNE TO FOLLOW A LADY.

SINCE HIS TIME AT THE SAINTS HE HAS NOT BEEN BACK TO WA AND THE LAST I SAW HE WAS COACHING IN THE EASTERN LEAGUE AND HOPEFULLY DOING WELL.

HE LOVED A DRINK LOVED A PARTY AND EVEN THOUGH HE WAS NO OIL PAINTING COULD GET A GIRL INC A BEATIFUL BABE CALLED KATIE WHO WORKED NEXT DOOR.
I REMEMBER (JUST) THE NIGHT HE WAS FIRST DRAFTED BY THE EAGLES. LOVE THOSE DRINK CARDS!!!

HE COULDNT TAKE AN OVERHEAD GRAB FOR S@#T BUT THE GUY COULD KICK BETTER THAN ANYONE BAR PLUGGER.

IF HE READS THIS CHEERS HEATERS!!

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Re: JASON HEATLEY

davev wrote:I WORKED WITH JASON AT RICK HART WHICH WAS A RETRAVISION.
Didn't work with a Mr Mayne by any chance?

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Saints43
Club Player

bigred wrote:Problem was, in 1997 he had a free run.. Did very well.

After that, every team in the comp realised he couldnt mark overhead and completely shut him down.
I seem to remember a stat that approx half of his 89 (?) goals from 1997 were from free kicks. These dried up in 1998. I assume defenders smartened up on him. I remember he became frustrating... leading under the ball all the time.

Kicked some amazing goals...

yipper
SS Life Member

I thought he was a better kick at goal than even Plugger. The best I've seen by a mile. Could slot a goal from anywhere. Perfect kicking technique. If he could have taken marks like a Loewe or Riewoldt - geez, he would have been one of the all time greats.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
timclark27
Club Player

I remember Heatley well. I rated him as one of the best kicks for goal I've ever seen. After '97 he struggled to get marks. He had trouble getting contested marks and he used to frustrate me as he never seemed to jump for marks, just long straight leads.
Barry Hall was on the big improve at the same time and there was a real contest between the 2 of them for the FF position. Barry was stronger in the contested situation and the opposition seemed to have worked out how to shut Heatley down. If they had the chopping the arm rule back then I'm sure he would have played on.

HarveysDeciple

Re: JASON HEATLEY

davev wrote:
THE SAINTS PUNTED HIM AT THE END OF 98 TO WHICH TO TASSIE.
IF I RECALL HE MOVED BACK TO MELBOURNE TO FOLLOW A LADY.

!
Actually left St.Kilda at the end of 2000.

Dont know about that free kick stat, he kicked a heap of goals from leads and quite a few in general play that year in 97.
Defenders started to tighten up on him and his weakness with overhead and contested marking caught up with him.
Unbelievable kick for goal and would have been one of the key factors in the flag had we got over the line in 97.

Shades
Club Player

heater was a gun i remember in 97 sitting with my dad at the g when ever he got the ball you new it was gonna be a goal