Trade Week (Updated - Mattner to Swans 4:40pm Tues)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Wait didn't we already trade Gilbert + Milne for Adcock already :?
:wink: :wink:

On Mattner, he is one of those - "ill play while youre winning players" - we have enough of them already

let him go north

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Martin Mattner is a gun. Had a terrific year in '06, and then I know a lot of Crows fans were unhappy with the way he was played this year.

Would be worth a first rounder, surely. Anything less and he is a steal IMO.
Would have to agree, he wouldn't be an ideal pick up for us because IMO our backline is more than good enough to play in a GF.
Mattner + Hudson + adelaides 4th pick for the dogs first 3 picks seems fair to me

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Martin Mattner is a gun. Had a terrific year in '06, and then I know a lot of Crows fans were unhappy with the way he was played this year.

Your not part of our negotiating team are you??

:wink: :wink:

Hope not

:shock:

saint4life
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

:lol:

Mind you I agree with Armoooo ... Mattner is not the sort of player we need at the moment.

Still, I reckon the Swans will do well out of that trade.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

What do you guys think about Boyle from hawks?
Do you think he would be worth anything, I think I read that he scored something like 30 goals this season....

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:What do you guys think about Boyle from hawks?
Do you think he would be worth anything, I think I read that he scored something like 30 goals this season....
Box Hill's loss will be Williamstown's gain.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

The one area we don't need is key forwards, many more priorities before that
Last edited by ausfatcat on Mon 08 Oct 2007 6:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Apologies to Boyle, being a little facetious.

I'm surprised the Dawks would put him up for trade and not try him as that big defender they are after. I thought his background was that of a defender.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I think that he's not leaving Hawthorn any time soon. Just about every time I saw them live, Boyle was a fantastic X factor who is tough to match up on because you just cannot ignore Buddy and Roughhead. As he develops, he's going to be a prime time forward himself.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Only 3cms taller than Rusling. Roo is a leading forward so we'd still have mobility, this could leave us free to play Kosi in the ruck. Just an idea though because we wouldn't be able to get him anyway, not unless he wanted out of Hawthorn which I don't believe to be the case.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

agree he wont be trade but not because he is so great just because the hawks would want 6 top 5 picks for him, which is a standard amount for a hawks fringe player.

Anyway they would be looking to get rid of him because of mitchell thorp comng through who will be better than him.
Last edited by ausfatcat on Mon 08 Oct 2007 6:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:
Box Hill's loss will be Williamstown's gain.
Isn;t 30 goals in a season pretty good for a VFL quality player?

strauchanie
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:

Would have to agree, he wouldn't be an ideal pick up for us because IMO our backline is more than good enough to play in a GF.
Mattner + Hudson + adelaides 4th pick for the dogs first 3 picks seems fair to me
we have no KPP backmen apart from maguire and Hudghton. We saw the problems we faced this season when either of them got injured. Considering Max is aboiut 31-32 and already injury prone. I'd think our main target should be a full back

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

strauchanie wrote:
Armoooo wrote:

we have no KPP backmen apart from maguire and Hudghton. We saw the problems we faced this season when either of them got injured. Considering Max is aboiut 31-32 and already injury prone. I'd think our main target should be a full back
IMO S.Fisher is good enough to be a backup Key position backman, but as a whole I would say our backline is better than West Coast's last year and Sydney's the year before. Who knows maybe Gilbert or Allen could come good as key position backmen in the next two years.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Sam fisher wasn't that great went playing on the key forwards earlier in the year.... But by the time we played freo at the dome and max did his thigh in the first 5 mins. He did an excellent job on PAV. Just wish we still had Penny...........................

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Agree with strauchanie

Attard injured
Hudghton injury-prone
Baker suspension-prone :roll: :wink:
Maguire up and down with form
Fish up and down with form, disposal
Chips too small for KPP
Allen green
Wall green
Gwilt ... jeezuz

I think we need a 50-100 key position backman who can play immediately ... good luck finding one

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Sydney won a flag with Barry, Roberts-Thompson and C. Bolton as their key backs.

I would argue that S. Fisher, Maguire and S. Gilbert are better players than those 3, so I reckon we have our backline covered for the next few years.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Don't want to see Gilbert playing as a KPP back

IMO he is a true wingman ... play him there

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:Agree with strauchanie

Attard injured
Hudghton injury-prone
Baker suspension-prone :roll: :wink:
Maguire up and down with form
Fish up and down with form, disposal
Chips too small for KPP
Allen green
Wall green
Gwilt ... jeezuz

I think we need a 50-100 key position backman who can play immediately ... good luck finding one
Attard- Nothing we can do about that, Leigh Fisher can return to that position.
Hudghton- If he can play more than 18 games he will still be well and truly worth the money
Baker - Would be surprised to see him get suspended next year, I don't think the team are going to accept that anymore, however the players could just be going along with this 'change' because they think they have to not because they believe it.
Fish- More than good enough IMO
Chips - More than good enough for the last resort for Key Position
Allen- We can still hope
Wall- See Allen
Gwilt- Not bad for a depth player
Raph- Improving, hopefully he can force himself into our starting 22 as one of the first players picked each week.
Gram- Put him on the weaker forwards and let his attack do damage
Gilbert- Same as Gram, could probably take a better quality forward though IMO
Goddard- Prefer him up front but when a man goes down he is a good enough replacement for me....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:Don't want to see Gilbert playing as a KPP back

Agree he is HBF or wingman and even though people think he has put on weight he actually lost weight this year so he could play as running player as he knew he could never be a KPP.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Why can't he play a scarlett type role, good shutdown player and runs off well.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Sydney won a flag with Barry, Roberts-Thompson and C. Bolton as their key backs.

I would argue that S. Fisher, Maguire and S. Gilbert are better players than those 3, so I reckon we have our backline covered for the next few years.
Exactly not every player has to be a Scarlett, as long as defenders can break even and our forwards can make the most of their opportunities we are set.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:

Oh I've no doubt he could play that role

I am just saying that I would prefer to see him play as a true wingman, i.e. as a linkman running the lines and transferring the ball from defence into the forward 50

They are relatively rare nowadays and I feel that Gilbert playing that role would be tremendous for the Saints. Height, pace, evasiveness, long kick = beautiful

Hence I would prefer to see someone else take that rebounding KPP role and kick it to a leading Gilbert

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:

He isnt big enough to play on a Key forward. Would be monstered. He is a running player.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:

Oh I've no doubt he could play that role

I am just saying that I would prefer to see him play as a true wingman, i.e. as a linkman running the lines and transferring the ball from defence into the forward 50

They are relatively rare nowadays and I feel that Gilbert playing that role would be tremendous for the Saints. Height, pace, evasiveness, long kick = beautiful

Hence I would prefer to see someone else take that rebounding KPP role and kick it to a leading Gilbert
Do you believe that he has a good enough kick for that, I know he is young and can still improve but he has even admitted himself that he is not the best kick. I wouldn't mind seeing him play any of those roles or even a job on the HFF, I don't think we've seen enough yet to know for sure.