Trade Week (Updated - Mattner to Swans 4:40pm Tues)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

A few points:

- Mark Blake would be a good pickup for us. Let's face it, he's a better ruckman than anything we've had four the past four years, and at 22 will only improve.
He's a terrific hitout-ruckman, and whilst he is not great around the ground, he is more than serviceable. I've heard the deal will be done for a second round pick. I would be happy with that trade. Similar to a 22 year old Matthew Clarke.

- Chris Johnson from Melbourne is someone I was hoping we would chase. He's only 21, and is similar to a Brett Jones type from West Coast. Can find the footy and provide good run off half-back, but also shuts down a player. Struggled in his 3rd season this year, but played some good footy for the Dees in 2006.

Would allow us to release Gram to the midfield. Could be a smart trade for the Saints, especially if it were for a later pick/fringe player.

- St Kilda's pick #9 will not be traded. It's apparently off limits and unless the deal was literally for Judd, it won't be going anywhere is what I've heard.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Batnoe

If we can get those two players, it would be good

Blake and Geelong's 3rd round pick for St.kilda's 2nd round

Then on trade that pick to Melb for Johnson

similar to Gardiner and Birss trade, we get both players for pick 26

i hope we can pull it off

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:what I've heard.
could i ask for a source?
or is this just summarising all the articles and quotes from respectable employees of the club eg sheldon, elshaugh

if true id consider that a fairly good trade period...Blake for a 2nd pick would be worth it, as long as we arnt paying him 800k for the next three years

johnson for a forth rounder, or later would be a fine gamble

and really, as long as pick 9 stays im happy

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Solar wrote:

Grant Thomas says that he would have played brooks against melbourne in last years final.
He had a cracker of a second half of the season and showed more in the final for casey then rix and clarke put together.

??????????? You have lost me...GT was coach at the time and did not pick him.

......A decison that I was amazed at at the time.
Yes it was simply downright dumb of GT IMO...but then again, he appeared to pick the team based on names not on fitness or form.

What a shocking way to end an AFL coaching career!!!!!!!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:If we can get those two players, it would be good

I'd toy with that idea...it's not the worst I've heard. I'd suggest Geelong would only offer a fourth, however. If Melbourne would accept a fourth for Johnson, that's worth chewing over.

Still rather use 26 for a crack at Adam or Amon... :D

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

FullMonty
Club Player

Blake :shock: would be serviceable but do we really need the sheepdog? :roll:

Montyrules!
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:Grant Thomas says that he would have played brooks against melbourne in last years final.
What an absolute fraud he is......

Yep sure he would have played him.... oops he was the coach at the time.

:roll:

Wonders never cease........

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I think what GT actually said, was that if it hadnt been for the rain forecast, he would have played him.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:I think what GT actually said, was that if it hadnt been for the rain forecast, he would have played him.
don't let facts distort ppl's B#!&H fest

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

SaintBot wrote:if true id consider that a fairly good trade period...Blake for a 2nd pick would be worth it, as long as we arnt paying him 800k for the next three years
Why not......... we pay over-rated hacks more than that for 3 year contracts......... it's just over $250K per year.

Not that much really compared to most footballers.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
SaintBot wrote:if true id consider that a fairly good trade period...Blake for a 2nd pick would be worth it, as long as we arnt paying him 800k for the next three years
Why not......... we pay over-rated hacks more than that for 3 year contracts......... it's just over $250K per year.

Not that much really compared to most footballers.....

I would think his going rate would be between 600 to 750 for 3 years so it is in the ball park.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

n1ck wrote:I think what GT actually said, was that if it hadnt been for the rain forecast, he would have played him.
Oh well you can't argue against that...... considering we lost..... what how many players that night that weren't fit and shouldn't have been selected and got injured?

Or did the old saying "don't play injured players in finals" not apply?

8-)

Anyhow I digress - we need a ruckman - Blake is disheartened (if you read Rod Blake's interview in the Hun) and would more than likely get the first ruck gig if he decided to cut his losses down Sleepy Hollow. $250-$275K per year isn't that much in today's salary cap.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
Oh well you can't argue against that...... considering we lost..... what how many players that night that weren't fit and shouldn't have been selected and got injured?

8-)

Anyhow I digress - we need a ruckman - Blake is disheartened (if you read Rod Blake's interview in the Hun) and would more than likely get the first ruck gig if he decided to cut his losses down Sleepy Hollow. $250-$275K per year isn't that much in today's salary cap.
I love people after the event saying why injured players. Imagine if Goose and max didnt play GT would have been shot,.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Remember people....

To get good players away from other clubs you generally have to pay above accepted rates eg Hamill. We need a ruckmen and BLAKE being 22 y/o would provide us with years of service.

I hardly think GEELONG are going to release him for 2nd round selection and will ask for #9. I would then be inclined to offer them one of our fringe players plus #26.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:
I love people after the event saying why injured players. Imagine if Goose and max didnt play GT would have been shot,.
I thought it common knowledge we had a few going into that game with injury clouds. Just irks me that people tend to believe our ex-coach's word as gospel whever he has an avenue to speak through the media.

FWIW (and back on topic)...... if we can secure a Blake (of the Geelong variety)/ ruck and a Buchanan/ Schneider type player, then that's going to be good work on behalf of our recruiters/ negotiators (recruiters do kind of become negotiating types at this time of year) - just a few of many areas we need to address... imo

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

So, we've completed 2 full days of trade week and we have 1 player (Matner) who couldn't get a game in his club's (Adelaide) best 22 being traded for a 2nd Round pick. Hardly earth shattering stuff !!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Solar wrote:

Grant Thomas says that he would have played brooks against melbourne in last years final.
He had a cracker of a second half of the season and showed more in the final for casey then rix and clarke put together.

??????????? You have lost me...GT was coach at the time and did not pick him.

......A decison that I was amazed at at the time.
Yes it was simply downright dumb of GT IMO...but then again, he appeared to pick the team based on names not on fitness or form.

What a shocking way to end an AFL coaching career!!!!!!!
sorry meant he has said later that he would have picked him if it was dry that night.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:If we can get those two players, it would be good

Would we do something similar for King?
We give up our 2nd round (26) for their 2nd round (34) and give them our 3rd round pick, costs us a third round pick and 8 spots.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:So, we've completed 2 full days of trade week and we have 1 player (Matner) who couldn't get a game in his club's (Adelaide) best 22 being traded for a 2nd Round pick. Hardly earth shattering stuff !!
Yep, trade week promises a lot and delivers sweet FA.

They may as well have it begin on Wednesday, finishing on Friday.

Trade Week = ebay - all the action is in the last 5 minutes!

hey - that's the go - scrap trade week and just do it through ebay....what a hoot!

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Just found out that Blake was heading overseas today with some of his team-mates, and was going to inform Geelong of his decision before he left.

So we should find out tomorrow whether we have secured his services, or whether he will remain at Kardinia Park.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote: So we should find out tomorrow whether we have secured his services, or whether he will remain at Kardinia Park.
We would have to trade for him, or hope that nobody could match the price on his head in the PSD. Only two options available.

What we would trade if #9 is off the table is anybodys guess.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

At 800k for 3 years, we might just sneak him through to pick #8 in the PSD.

Otherwise, I reckon a 2nd round pick would be the go.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote: So we should find out tomorrow whether we have secured his services, or whether he will remain at Kardinia Park.
We would have to trade for him, or hope that nobody could match the price on his head in the PSD. Only two options available.

Well, the Matner trade is the precedent here. Neither Matner or Blake could make it into the starting 22 when it mattered (Finals). Matner went for a 2nd Rd pick. Blake should NOT be worth any more than that !!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to him if he comes to the Saints but he'll be coming with some fair expectation at a reasonable cost. Personally I am not sure he's worth it.

I would rather see Geelong squirm fitting all three in their cap and appease each on their list than pay above price and hence reward Geelong in what appears to be our week of (r)ucking desperation.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Well, the Matner trade is the precedent here. Neither Matner or Blake could make it into the starting 22 when it mattered (Finals). Matner went for a 2nd Rd pick. Blake should NOT be worth any more than that !!
Well it depends if Geelong want anythig for him and of course if Blake wants to go.

As OWTS says we may have outbid everyone with the $800k and may even raise it a bit to maybe $300k a year to secure him in the PSD, but it is a big risk.

All depends on if he wants to leave Geelong.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)