Trade Week (Updated - Mattner to Swans 4:40pm Tues)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Good luck to him if he comes to the Saints but he'll be coming with some fair expectation at a reasonable cost. Personally I am not sure he's worth it.

I would rather see Geelong squirm fitting all three in their cap and appease each on their list than pay above price and hence reward Geelong in what appears to be our week of (r)ucking desperation.
Well he is only 22 and I am sure that out of King and Blake that they would want to keep Blake.

As for squirming to fit them all in. Plenty of precedent for premiership teams players taking big pay cuts to stay in the team and at the club.

The only reason anyone would want to leave the club that has just won a flag is in circumstance such as Blake finds himself in.

My feeling is that he would stay. However he may see the hurt done and the $800k and the fact that the Saints obviously want him as a reason to go.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I would rather pay him overs in cash and secure him in PSD rather than use a first or second round pick for him.

If we miss out on him in the PSD because another team wants to also pay him overs...BOO HOO...life goes on, we'll average 4 less ruck hit outs than we expected.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:I would rather pay him overs in cash and secure him in PSD rather than use a first or second round pick for him.

If we miss out on him in the PSD because another team wants to also pay him overs...BOO HOO...life goes on, we'll average 4 less ruck hit outs than we expected.
I suppose so.

It isn't Dean Cox we are talking about is it.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintDippa
Club Player

Mate is a Geelong supporter so saw quite a few Cat games this year.

Blake. Blake? For heavens sake the guy is a 24 carat gumby. Almost cost the pussies a spot in the GF.

Under no circumstances should we take him. A true blue Nuff Nuff. Cannot kick, hand skills dodgy and would barely out run treacle.

We do not need these type of players. Would >>>> play Barry.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Here are the stats from the 3 games that Brad Ottens missed in 2007, leaving Blake as the primary ruckman with King as backup
Round 4 v Hawthorn

4 point LOSS to Geelong

Blake
0 kicks
10 handballs
1 mark
1 tackle
19 hitouts

King
2 kicks
6 handballs
2 marks
5 tackles
7 hitouts

Between the two Geelong ruckmen
2 kicks
16 handballs
3 marks
6 tackles
27 hitouts

Capmbell
12 disposals, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 14 hitouts

Taylor
5 disposals, 1 mark, 1 goal, 5 tackles, 14 hitouts

Hawthorn rucks
17 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal, 7 tackles, 28 hitouts

Without Ottens, the Geelong duo merely broke even with Hawthorn's crap ruckmen. The ruckmen had no say in the outcome of that game.

Round 5 v Kangaroos

16 point LOSS to Geelong

Blake
2 kicks
7 handballs
1 mark
2 tackles
21 hitouts

King
4 kicks
2 handballs
1 mark
2 tackles
21 hitouts

Total
6 kicks
9 handballs
2 marks
4 tackles
42 hitouts

McIntosh
22 disposals, 8 marks, 1 goal, 29 hitouts

Petrie
9 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal, 8 tackles, 13 hitouts

Total Kangaroos rucks
31 disposals, 12 marks, 2 goals, 8 tackles, 42 hitouts

The ruck contests were about even, but the two Geelong ruckmen were well and truly slaughtered around the ground. They both showed how their style of play is becoming outdated. You can't afford to stand in the opposition 50 hoping to block space while your more mobile opponent is racking up touches and kicking goals.

McIntosh won the Kangaroos this game. To this point Blake has twice been Geelong's number one ruckman, and both times they have lost.

Round 18 v Richmond

70-point win to Geelong

Blake
6 kicks
9 handballs
2 marks
2 goals
1 tackle
24 hitouts

King
3 kicks
11 handballs
5 marks
4 tackles
18 hitouts

Total
9 kicks
20 handballs
7 marks
2 goals
5 tackles
42 hitouts

Looking pretty damn impressive so far hey? BUT, you then have to take into account that Richmond's number one ruckman is their freshly elevated 19 year old rookie Angus Graham playing his first game, with Troy Simmonds playing injured and severly restricted.

Graham
3 disposals, 3 tackles, 13 hitouts

Simmonds
9 disposals, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 8 hitouts

Total
12 disposals, 1 mark, 4 tackles, 21 hitouts

Blake and King comprehensively flogged the Richmond rucks, but Cain Ackland and Dylan McLaren would've done the same. It isn't hard for any AFL quality ruck (even if they are just ordinary backups) to smash a 19 year old twig playing his first game and a player who can't stay on the field for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Overall these 3 games do not look too well upon Blake and King. They fought out a nothing duel against two ordinary ruckmen, then were well beaten by 2 mobile ruckmen against the Kangaroos and then flogged the worst ruck duo to take the field in 2007.

Neither of those players would do much to improve our chances in 2008. If we go after a ruckman it should be because they are a significantly better than Gardiner, Koschitzke, Rix, Brooks and Blake. Not because we might need some insurance.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:If we go after a ruckman it should be because they are a significantly better than Gardiner, Koschitzke, Rix, Brooks and Blake. Not because we might need some insurance.
Completely agree, If we do get a ruckman it's not exactly going to completely change everything is it.... The fact is there are few quality ruckman and we are not at all likely to get one this trade period either...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Completely agree, If we do get a ruckman it's not exactly going to completely change everything is it.... The fact is there are few quality ruckman and we are not at all likely to get one this trade period either...
Exactly. Cox, McIntosh, Sandilands and to a lesser extent Lade and Ottens are players who would walk into our side and immediately have a big impact. If we could get any of those players in their early 20's they would be worth every draft pick we've got.

Reasonable ruckmen like Hille, McDonald, Biglands, Campbell, Taylor, Blake and Street just don't make any real difference to their team. They are in about 50 ruck contests each game and rarely get more than 5 effective hitouts while they conrtibute very little arond the ground.

I agree with GT's views on ruckmen, but I think that he needed to be far more agressive chasing the quality ruckmen. He always talked about how he nearly got Cox, White, Brogan etc, but we never actually got one because he was never willing to trade agressively. Instead we just amassed cheap sub-par rucks like Knobel, Oliver, Ackland, Rix etc. The only ruck we ever traded anything of worth for was Brooks, who just fell apart after his ACL injury.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Just found out that Blake was heading overseas today with some of his team-mates, and was going to inform Geelong of his decision before he left.

So we should find out tomorrow whether we have secured his services, or whether he will remain at Kardinia Park.
Team end of season trip...if he was walking out on them he will not have gone.

If he went he stays..

If he stayed he will go
:wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:I would rather pay him overs in cash and secure him in PSD rather than use a first or second round pick for him.

I suppose so.

It isn't Dean Cox we are talking about is it.
Mabye it is Dean Cox we are talking about :D :D :D :shock:

Lance or James??

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:Just found out that Blake was heading overseas today with some of his team-mates, and was going to inform Geelong of his decision before he left.

So we should find out tomorrow whether we have secured his services, or whether he will remain at Kardinia Park.
Team end of season trip...if he was walking out on them he will not have gone.

If he went he stays..

If he stayed he will go
:wink:
was it a team end of season trip?

i thought it was just an end of season holiday with a few teammates? - nothing stopping him doing that if that is the case...his manager can take care of him in the trade...but i must admitt it looks likely he will stay at geelong

Davo027
Club Player

Thoughts on Robert Warnock from Fremantle :?:

For more info www.saints.com.au

The above views are those of the author and not necessarily those of the clubs or the AFL.
suss
Club Player

Thoughts on Robert Warnock from Fremantle

Get it done Davo!! He's far better than the other options (Blake, King, Wood) that are being bandied about.

(just keep the early picks :oops: )

BelfastSaint
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Saw Warnock's name mentioned in an article this morning, any reason to believe he's truly available? He's good around the ground and has the size to make one believe his tapwork will improve (right now he's a ruckman that despite the height difference Jason Blake is a good matchup for), and any indication on price if so? (I'm being lazy, haven't really had a chance to trawl the net for info, so hoping someone here will know more).

Something else I didn't see mentioned in articles I've read re: Wood, that while Collingwood has made prime offer, apparently Wood's preference is Adelaide.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford