Gone / delisted - Brooks, Watts, McQualter, Sheldon.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

savatage
SS Life Member

LTN16 wrote:
If Kosi goes down through the year which is most likely to happen who is going to play at FF ?? An untried player like Allen ?? :roll:
Well that's the thing, I actually think Allen is a far better footballer than Fergus Watts. The ball is completely dead with Fergus Watts if he doesn't mark it - useless anywhere but in the air.

When you say Allen is untried, you'd have to say the same thing for Fergus, so no real loss there when you think about it.

The club knows what they're doing, however & have seen enough of Watts to know he can't cut it at this level.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Why is Kosi likely to go down?

He hasn't had a soft tissue injury for 2 years (a bit of hamstring tightness during '07, but that was all)

Last year was all collision injuries.

McQualter is stiff IMO .... first round pick as a midfielder and he only gets 2 years. I reckon he might be rookied again, either by the Saints or another club.

Adelaide delisted the guy they picked with #17, which we traded for Watts. So neither club wins out of that deal.

Someone will most certainly select Watts again ... either in the PSD or draft. In fact, I would put money on him returning to the Crows actually.

Brooks and Sheldon good move.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
savatage
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:Why is Kosi likely to go down?

He hasn't had a soft tissue injury for 2 years (a bit of hamstring tightness during '07, but that was all)

Last year was all collision injuries.

McQualter is stiff IMO .... first round pick as a midfielder and he only gets 2 years. I reckon he might be rookied again, either by the Saints or another club.

Adelaide delisted the guy they picked with #17, which we traded for Watts. So neither club wins out of that deal.

Someone will most certainly select Watts again ... either in the PSD or draft. In fact, I would put money on him returning to the Crows actually.

Brooks and Sheldon good move.
McQualter actually had 3 years. In that time he hasn't put on any weight, is way undersized, underpaced & can't kick. It was a complete stuff up by our recruiting department.

Watts probably will get tried by someone else, but I doubt it would be the Crows as he burnt them fairly badly when he left them (and would want to stay in Vic).

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Good to see Lyon making the tough calls.

We have had too much deadwood on our list for too long, especially when compared to the turnover rate at other clubs.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
savatage
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:Good to see Lyon making the tough calls.

We have had too much deadwood on our list for too long, especially when compared to the turnover rate at other clubs.
Agreed. He has a clear plan in mind. There is no doubt that when he came to the club, he knew we were deficient in areas & that with time he could put some actions into place to rectifiy these weaknesses.

Art Vandelay
Club Player

Re: Gone / delisted - Brooks, Watts, McQualter, Sheldon.

Bono wrote:All gone yesterday arvo. No need to reveal the source. You will read it in the papers soon enough. Well done Ross and Trout on a positive and productive week for the Saints.

Rubbish!!!!!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Not suprised after the trade period, Lyon is really putting his stamp on this list.

Watts looks like he's suffered the whitnall disease, he's not quick enough and AFL football has passed him type by.

Personally I would have give mini one more year as a tagger but lets be honest, he was treading water at VFL level let alone AFL level.

Personally I would rather brooks then rix, but it looks like lyon likes his ruckman physical and that is about the only thing rix brings to the table. I will scream if he is still part of the squad in 2009!

happy to hear that geary will be evelvated, will slot in nicely on a HBF and allow gram to move into the midfield.

I assume eddy, attard and VR stay on the rookie list and we pick 4 in the National draft and three rookie drafts.

Big clean out if true

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Oh When the Saints wrote:Good to see Lyon making the tough calls.

For such a short post it's bloody brilliant.

It's about time we got rid of blokes on our list who are just there for the pay and won't make an in-roads whatsoever in years to come.

Progressive steps Saints. Good stuff.

And BTW good to see pro-active decisions being made in terms of recruitment and sackings. 4 fair footballers for the cost of only a 2nd Round Draft Pick (Can't see the draft lasting til Round 6)

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Solar wrote:Not suprised after the trade period, Lyon is really putting his stamp on this list.

Watts looks like he's suffered the whitnall disease, he's not quick enough and AFL football has passed him type by.

Agreed. Watts' lack of agility would probably be exploited by better teams although i do believe we should probably keep him for one more year just as merely a backup.
Solar wrote:happy to hear that geary will be evelvated

Is this official?
If it is im very happy as ive heard many good things about this youngster!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm all for clearing out deadwood...

BUT:

- Surely Brooks has more upside than Rix?
- Why would you move on McQualter, yet keep Clinton Jones?
- Given we've lost Gehrig, and Kosi - depsite a good recent injury record - could be suspect to injury, why would we get rid of Watts?

You'd have to think that the choice of Dempster spells the end of Ferguson, at the very least.

I'd have delisted Sweeney, Raymond, Rix and Ferguson, added to the retiring bunch, leaving us with lots of room to re-shape our list.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Brooks, Watts & McQualter delisted.......
Credibility or not from the OP this is still just a rumour and not backed up by any official statement ...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I'm all for clearing out deadwood...

BUT:

- Surely Brooks has more upside than Rix?
- Why would you move on McQualter, yet keep Clinton Jones?
- Given we've lost Gehrig, and Kosi - depsite a good recent injury record - could be suspect to injury, why would we get rid of Watts?

You'd have to think that the choice of Dempster spells the end of Ferguson, at the very least.

I'd have delisted Sweeney, Raymond, Rix and Ferguson, added to the retiring bunch, leaving us with lots of room to re-shape our list.
Agree 100%... changes certainly need to occur but the list apparently gone just doesn't add up to me...

Watts would have been limited all year due to his previous injury

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:Brooks, Watts & McQualter delisted.......
Credibility or not from the OP this is still just a rumour and not backed up by any official statement ...
nup, bono has been very accuarte before and this time backed up by scoop

lock it in

3 first round draft picks delisted

Poor recruiting and drafting, kept Richmond ordinary for more than a decade

We've had more than enough of our fair share

Only McQualter was Beveridge's call so don't blame him for the others

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Brooks has shown nothing in 5 years evertonfc. With Rix you know what you are going to get every week at AFL level or VFL level. With Brooks, it is a question mark.

On the minimum wage, Rix's reliability in a physical and mental sense mean he gets the nod. Plus he played 17-odd games for us this year, and Brooks played 2.

Clinton Jones vs. McQualter was a 50/50 for mine.

Watts is too slow for the game at AFL level. He's another Anthony Rocca, who has almost been squeezed out of Collingwood's side. You need mobility.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Brooks has shown nothing in 5 years evertonfc. With Rix you know what you are going to get every week at AFL level or VFL level. With Brooks, it is a question mark.

On the minimum wage, Rix's reliability in a physical and mental sense mean he gets the nod. Plus he played 17-odd games for us this year, and Brooks played 2.

Clinton Jones vs. McQualter was a 50/50 for mine.

Watts is too slow for the game at AFL level. He's another Anthony Rocca, who has almost been squeezed out of Collingwood's side. You need mobility.
IMO if we knew for sure that gards feet are right for the season and we drafted another developing ruck then I would look at getting rid of both brooks and rix.

The point is that rix is useless around the ground, can't take a mark or kick further then 30 metres. He is struggling at VFL level currently, but he is physical so that seems to mean something to the coach.

I agree that mini has more upside then CJ, just one is going north and ones going south. I'll let you pick which one is which. Mini was a disgrace in the one final casey played this season.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
HarveysDeciple

What excites us all more?

Allen, Geary, Eddy and Jones?

or Brooks, Watts and McQualter?

I know my answer, promote these gun kids and cut free the deadwood.

All due respect to those guys but they aren't going to take us to a flag and thats all that really matters here.

Allen looks promising, eddy and geary carve up the twos and CJ whilst dissapointing in the second half of the year did more then enough as a first year rookie to earn a reprieve.

I can see these blokes having an impact in 2008 and playing many games in the seniors.

That excites me, bold move by the club, but a good one.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
BelfastSaint wrote:Brooks, Watts & McQualter delisted.......
nup, bono has been very accuarte before and this time backed up by scoop

lock it in

3 first round draft picks delisted

Poor recruiting and drafting, kept Richmond ordinary for more than a decade

We've had more than enough of our fair share

Only McQualter was Beveridge's call so don't blame him for the others
have you recieved the rope i bought for you??

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Most people have talked about the player delistings... is it also true that Ken Sheldon has gone?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
crowjelly
Club Player

SEN last night were giving Sheldon all the credit for the great trades.

If he's been given the chop Bono, then surely they would not do it unless they had someone to fill his shoes.

Can you name who his replacement will be?

I'm loving this - underdogs at 3 to 1, grand final experience in our favor and Pies over confident. Go Saints - I'm loading up!
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

IF TRUE:

Agree that Jones/McQualter was a bit of a 50/50.

Mini has had his chances and could not / would not take them. Thanks for your efforts Mini and best of luck.

Watts is a tough one ... pick #17 traded away at the end of 2005, but was used on Pfeiffer, who showed nothing at Adelaide. That was reasonable trading at the time - we had a premiership list - but Watts was a slow forward and suited a different game plan. Really bad run with injury and just not up to AFL standard. Best wishes Fergus.

Barry Brooks ... the less said the better. Thanks Barry for representing the black, white and red.

I am extremely pleased that these tough decisions are being made. It is just so important to develop a ruthless culture with respect to list management. I want a football club where you don't get into the first 22 unless you're a farking superstar who oozes class, or a hard-working GOP in the best form of his career who is good enough on his day to beat the opposition's "stars".

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Bono
Club Player

Sheldon had nothing to do with any trades, despite whats written in todays papers. Two weeks ago StKFC sent a memo out to all other clubs stating that Elshaug was the only person other club staff were to deal with.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Calling MSG to this thread. Your input would be interesting, I believe.

Most were saying that this year would be a big clearout, after Lyon got a chance to assess our list in full, but not THIS big. However, it's clear that Lyon's strategy involves filling depth holes with AFL footballers, and getting rid of players who have had 3+ years in the system and still not cracked the big time on a regular basis.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote:Sheldon had nothing to do with any trades, despite whats written in todays papers. Two weeks ago StKFC sent a memo out to all other clubs stating that Elshaug was the only person other club staff were to deal with.
Just what I thought, about Sheldon, not Elshaugh. Good choice though, I'm starting to become a big fan of Elshaugh after being pretty skeptical at his appointment.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote:Sheldon had nothing to do with any trades, despite whats written in todays papers. Two weeks ago StKFC sent a memo out to all other clubs stating that Elshaug was the only person other club staff were to deal with.

As I said yesterday KS and RL did the trades and I dont care what you say. Also you may or may not be right with the delistings but you said Sweeney and raymond went earlier in the week. They went 3 weeks ago so that may cast doubt on the other info IMO.

Brooks will go as I said yesterday and Watts is a chance but as far as I know it hasnt happened yet.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Calling MSG to this thread. Your input would be interesting, I believe.

Most were saying that this year would be a big clearout, after Lyon got a chance to assess our list in full, but not THIS big. However, it's clear that Lyon's strategy involves filling depth holes with AFL footballers, and getting rid of players who have had 3+ years in the system and still not cracked the big time on a regular basis.
We've cleared out some of the deadwood in Thompson, Hamill, Voss, Clarke and Raymond, but we replaced it with more deadwood. Now we are delisting players who actualy have talent and the ability to make a difference so we can bring in more deadwood. Nothing we have done (apat from the Schneider trade) makes the team any better. We have acquired depth, but in the wrong positions. We already had too many flankers (Dempster, Gardiner) and ordinary ruckmen (King) on the list, and now we've delisted some of our midfield depth (McQualter) and all of our key forward depth (Brooks, Watts).

We are left with a ridiculously long list of flankers and crap ruckmen, with no depth for key defenders, key forwards or midfielders. Personally I think this has been a terrible few days of list management.