Matthew Drain Appointed Football Manager?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

We'd better stop doing so well this off season

Caro is getting upset

The turmoil she predicted fizzled out to a whimper

Oh well

Time for her to write more articles expressing her glowing admiration of how well Carlton cheat

:evil:

:roll:

8-)

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
4theluvoftheclub
Club Player

Drain was high Performance manager for cricket australia, and Football manager at the Dons in 2000 when they won their flag. I have heard he is very well respected at AFL house .
The bulldogs were about to promote him this week from high performance coach to Head of Football, but he told them he had already signed with us!!!!
luv it..

yipper
SS Life Member

Gee, the Saints have been kicking a few off-field goals lately. Mate of mine (in the AFL industry) reckons we are building nicely off-field. Have scored a real coup in snaring Drain and we now have the most Professional fitness / conditioning team I can ever recall.

What happened to the turmoil Caro / Patrick??? The self-imploding?? Hmmm, just travelling nicely at the minute down there in Linton St.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
4theluvoftheclub
Club Player

yipper wrote:Gee, the Saints have been kicking a few off-field goals lately. Mate of mine (in the AFL industry) reckons we are building nicely off-field. Have scored a real coup in snaring Drain and we now have the most Professional fitness / conditioning team I can ever recall.

What happened to the turmoil Caro / Patrick??? The self-imploding?? Hmmm, just travelling nicely at the minute down there in Linton St.
Yes. you're right. Also ,the appointment of Barber as head doctor is sensatonal, AND I notice that the club has also retained Dr Ian Stone, long time saints doc...SMART to keep the knowledge and continuity about player medical status and condition, i.e., to BUILD on knowledge and expertise in that area so Missen and Barber can lead, but have Stone around for proper medical injury background...

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:Yes good appointment. Two years one we get our man.

I am very pleased that it is aguy who has the experience to do the job....rather than justa high profile ex-AFL footballer who had yet to cut his teeth.

Good point SR... Drain is a career sports administrator & has high level experience in this role. A much better appointment than simply a favorite son who has played the game.

Two great off field gets thus far. Excellent work Archie.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Davo027 wrote:Now have :
Matthew Drain
Dave Misson,
Tim Barber( Australian Olympic team doctor)
and Andrew Wallace (Melbourne Victory physio)
This is fantastic, everything's coming up Saints!

Now if we can only get our house (structurally) in order, i.e. Moorabbin. I must admit it made me a little sad to see how badly it had deteriorated over time. It has pretty well past the point of a makeover. Come on Kingston, get on board, everyone else is!

spert
Saintsational Legend

All we need to do now is win games and finish better than ninth in 2008.

GrumpyOne

supersaints wrote:He is Sheedys best nate, was essondon GM in 2002, with the bulldogs last year, was with victorian cricket acadamy from memory

If I knew how to post his picture I woukld!!
I'll settle for you learning how to spell. :shock:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Very pleased with the way things have gone since the turmoil of the challenge.

1) Butterss does the honourable thing and hands over avoiding a bloody fight and bloodletting

2) Missen appointed. Very good trainer who helped Sydney with their remarkable run of near no injuries

3) A very good and robust trading period with the Saints trading very well to get two first 22 players and two depth players for virtually #26

4) Club now appoints Drain to replace Kenny who did a good job as a fill in but apparently didn't have the credentials to take it further. Dont know much about Drain or barber but from what others say on here they sound like they know their stuff.

All in all the Saints have really come out of the RB/GT crisis of this year strong and robust. Very good off field appointments, a new board full of enthusiasm, and a list that will start to have the hallmarks of what the coach wants.

Time for us all to congratulate the club on the way it has handled these difficult issues and have come out in good shape.

I am feeling my confidence and optimism growing.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Brian Collis
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote:
Matthew Drain
Dave Misson,

Now if we can only get our house (structurally) in order, i.e. Moorabbin. I must admit it made me a little sad to see how badly it had deteriorated over time. It has pretty well past the point of a makeover. Come on Kingston, get on board, everyone else is!
Great, all we need now is the recruitment of Alyce Platt or Delvene Delaney to head trainers and we'll be right

GrumpyOne

Brian Collis wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:
Matthew Drain
Dave Misson,

Great, all we need now is the recruitment of Alyce Platt or Delvene Delaney to head trainers and we'll be right
Showing your age Brian. Most of the posters here wouldn't know who they were.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The thing that impresses me most with these appointments is firstly
the quality of personel selected but almost as importantly the timeliness
of the appointments......remember when GT was sacked, it took the board
a month to appoint RL.......from what we have learnt this season, if you
want to sack a coach, sack them DURING the season (yes I know we had
a shot a the eight in 2006, but we realistically never were strong premiership contenters!).

RL last year during trade week/draft/delistings etc didn't have adequate time to make a call on the whole list, and perhaps retained a few fringe players that he would've let go had he been in the job already for a few months.

By getting Drain & Misson on board now BEFORE preseason has began, gives us a full prep for 2008........if we had to wait even another 3 weeks to appoint Drain IMO this could've effected us adversely for 2008.

It's all about planning & timing......there's very little down time for an AFL club!!!

Well done St.Kilda!
Last edited by saintspremiers on Tue 16 Oct 2007 11:08am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Collis
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
Brian Collis wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:
Matthew Drain
Dave Misson,

Likewise my friend!

GrumpyOne

Brian Collis wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Brian Collis wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:
Matthew Drain
Dave Misson,

Likewise my friend!
I did notice Alyce getting a run in Melbourne Homicide as the randy wife of one of the senior detectives. Played the part well.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I always thought it was Elise, but thats ok.

Shes on a triva mini-show on foxtel three times a day.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

And now all we need is a sponsor......

chook23
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:And now all we need is a sponsor......
will be soon

saint4life
The Peanut
Club Player

Footy Fans can be a stange breed at times - we all see things through rose coloured glasses. I have just been testing the water over on the Bulldogs board at bigfooty and generally they have somehow turned things around and see Drain coming to us as part of their clean-out. I didn't bother to post - they wouldn't have believed me anyway.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387734

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Very impressive process of events for a club that was about to implode. Hello Caro, come in Phatpryck..........
I'm really impressed with :
1. the credentials of the new personnel
2. the transition from the Butterss era to the new board. The GT/RB crap is truly a thing of the past.
3. The speed and, as saintspremiers said, timeliness of the new appointments. They're not mucking around and are laying the foundations for a really solid off-field team.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

These events followed a dispute the previous summer over the appointment of a football manager who, ultimately, was never appointed. The ( St.Kilda ) administration had decided to hire former Essendon football manager Matthew Drain but changed its plans in the face of opposition from Thomas and instead added responsibilities to assistant coach Matt Rendell.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

When boy wonder bundy is acquiring Port rejects like Brooks, Guerra and Ackland through his previous association, why not give him more responsibility

make a play for Brogan, when they say no, oh ok we'll give you pick 6 and 31 for Brooks then :roll:

Thomas obviously wanted to maintain the status quo, he found the chook raffle approach to his liking, just so long as he had TOTAL dictatorial control over it, with his mate boy wonder bundy by his side

I mean FAIR FLOWERING DINKUM

Matthew Drain was obviously one drain too many for Thomas who was too busy pissing away our chances with poor list development and recruiting down his own

Excellent appointment and finally we have this quality individual at our club after having exited out the buffoon that sent us into decline, who then turns around and sues the club he says he loves and wouldn't do anything to hurt, yeah righto

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Barks, what kept you?

That reference to GT has been up for nearly two hours.........

You're late... :shock:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:luv the enthusiasm but BEST trade week ever.........

I suppose you watered it down a bit with DEPTH comment.......

re-cycled players.............hmm........

time will tell....only confident with Schneider??(spell)
Well in terms of quality gained...then yes the Blight-baited year of gaining GTrain and Hamill was better.....

But in terms of quality gained for the price paid....I think this year rates as an outstanding year.

Effecitively only pick 26 given up.....and according to the drafting "experts" the draft this year gets very VERY lean after about pick 20.

I am basically ignoring Dempster and Gardiner...if they play any gams...then that is justa bonus.

But I would estimate that both King and Schneider will play a goodly number of games for us.....and will play more combined games than say most of the various guys drafted this year with say picks 24-30.

The worth of Schneider and King is also worth more than their individual value as they play in postions we are very poor in.

Schneider replaces.......well nobabdy as we do not havea HF!!!

King replaces Rix, Brooks, or Kosi in the ruck (and allows Kosi to play FF).

So to my way of thinking we have gained two "first 22" players for a pick in 26 which in this years draft is not that valuable pick.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 16 Oct 2007 2:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
GrumpyOne

barks4eva wrote:
These events followed a dispute the previous summer over the appointment of a football manager who, ultimately, was never appointed. The ( St.Kilda ) administration had decided to hire former Essendon football manager Matthew Drain but changed its plans in the face of opposition from Thomas and instead added responsibilities to assistant coach Matt Rendell.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

When boy wonder bundy is acquiring Port rejects like Brooks, Guerra and Ackland through his previous association, why not give him more responsibility

make a play for Brogan, when they say no, oh ok we'll give you pick 6 and 31 for Brooks then :roll:

Thomas obviously wanted to maintain the status quo, he found the chook raffle approach to his liking, just so long as he had TOTAL dictatorial control over it, with his mate boy wonder bundy by his side

I mean FAIR FLOWERING DINKUM

Matthew Drain was obviously one drain too many for Thomas who was too busy pissing away our chances with poor list development and recruiting down his own

Excellent appointment and finally we have this quality individual at our club after having exited out the buffoon that sent us into decline, who then turns around and sues the club he says he loves and wouldn't do anything to hurt, yeah righto
GROUNDHOG DAY!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i have seen other articles....most notably at the weekend that are less than ecstatic about our four swapped players.....mentioned that carscum got pilloried for picking up other teams discarded players...while we were being complimented for going down the same road...

i suppose time will tell who is right and who is wrong..

i think schneider and king will be okay...as long as king has a relatively injury free year.....the other two are just list fillers...imhfo.....no better...or worse than the players we have just delisted........maybe we are.just swapping around a few deck chairs.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

GrumpyOne wrote: GROUNDHOG DAY!
Isn't it great Grump, we have our own sort of insane superhero, leaping forth from a telephone box amidst a shower of dribble and twitching, clad in a cape and his reg grundy's whenever his super hearing detects the following phrases of evil:

List management
Ruck stats
Hitouts to advantage
recruiting
GT

Saving us all by beating the supervillain GT to death with superhero chants like "brass band", "bundy" and the all powerful devil repellant "fair dinkum". Do you think he would accept a role as the poster boy for the Tourrets (sic) help group?

"Hi kids, just like me, don't let your condition stop you from reaching your dreams (cut to outburst) - GONADS, BUMHOLE, RUCK STATS - remember Tourrets sufferers can reach for the stars too"

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!