Brooks, watts, raymond , Sweene CONFIRMED as gone. OFFICIAL.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:awesome news!

Put aside who has gone or why they have gone.

As I said on a previous post....it's TIMING......get rid of the dead wood now, so if there are any targets for the PSD we are on the table and ready to negoiate.

ie. if we want Brennan or Kepler Wessels, etc, other clubs know where we stand.

4 delisted + 5 retired - 4 additions during trade week = 5 spots up for grabs.

Archie said we'll take 4 in the National Draft, but wasn't sure if we'd participate in the PSD.

I assume there is a 50/50 chance we will be in the PSD???
so what about the rookie elevations?

carn_sainter
Club Player

Bad luck to all those delisted. Must be very tough to take.

Brooks: Has/had all of the tangible tools to make it...injury really hurt him, as did a couple of bad games...a very good player who could coast through easier competitions, but clearly lacked the intangibles to make it in the big leagues.

Watts: Always a query re: pace and ground level work but always very good in the air and a man mountain. I imagine he'll be looked at by other clubs, eg: Bulldogs. Injury also very cruel to Fergus.

Sweeney: A smokey who didn't work out...clearly a VFL standard player, indeed a good one. Has gone further than most from Tyabb, that's for sure.

Raymond: Never saw much of Raymond, though he's been in the gun for about 9 months now i imagine. Can't comment on him.

The big changes continue to occur and with big changes come big excitement. Looking forward to who gets their place and how they go...

2008 looking good. Confidence is high, but then again it always is in October

Buckets
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:A shame for the players. Their dream is gone of an AFL career.

Young men who would all be feeling pretty down ATM. I feel for them personally.

However for the STKFC it is something that happens every year and it is a tough business.

Glad for McQualter (and Ferg, and a couple of others). Make of break for the two mentioned I would assume.

All or nothing from Ferg and Mini in 2008.
How long do they get to have that final crack? Fair enough for brooks going but i'm absolutely stumped on Watts when did the boy get to actually so his true potential missed pretty much all of his first year to a serious ankle injury doesnt get a full pre-season and towards the tail end of the year starts to show some improvement. BTW not having a crack at you Joff just absolutely pi&&ed that some who have been there a lot longer and shown nothing are still there. Watts will probably get picked up by the Doggies or the like and tear us a new one. Happens all the time we hold on to the duds and we let go of the ones that can't spare the time for.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
dsreg1
Club Player

Yep agree buckets....

DIdn't really have much of a chance. And good disposal by our mids, can make lumbering forwards look decent.

Well, hope he gets another gig, wish we could get our pick back!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i wish them all the best....and while i hate seeing former sainters run around in enemy colours i hope brooks and watts get another chance.....adelaide will pick up watts...imhfo.......the doggies might go for brooks.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
congorozides
Club Player

i would think the bulldogs might seriously look at watts in the pre-season draft? i think he deserves a crack at a club that need him. facts are he is not as good as kosi and therefore we can do surplus to our needs. with king and M gardner in the ruck and charlie gardner (?) and kosi the tall timber down forward saints are ok for height.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Our list is doomed.

Its fast filling up with rejects from other clubs.

Couldnt imagine why we would decided to delist Brooks and Watts now, given Gehrig has retired.....

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Our list is doomed.

Couldnt imagine why we would decided to delist Brooks and Watts now, given Gehrig has retired.....
pulling our leg now aren't you?

Why hang on to two no hopers (AFL wise) in Brooks and Watts? Even if Rooey and Kosi left the club I'd ditch them. They are not AFL standard, anywhere, full stop!

We still have some unproven boys on our list: Howard and Armitage, McQualter, Raph Clarke just for starters.

Is King a "reject", or squeezed out because of salary cap...huge difference.

same could be said for the schneiderman.

Gardiner and Dempster yes may be rejects but they are the free knives you get with the steak kit so to speak!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Brooks had to go and I have been strong on this since the middle of the year. Watts was in trouble the minute we got C Gardiner. Yes one more year may have been ok but lets face it 2 games in 2 years under 2 coaches. Yes he did break his leg but RL obviously thinks he lacks what it takes to play AFL.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Dissappointed for Fergus- has worked hard to overcome the very bad break- but obviously doesn't fit the style and personnel now needed

Good Luck Guys in what ever you do.

any confirmation on the rookies positions? staying going- upgraded?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Brooks had to go and I have been strong on this since the middle of the year. Watts was in trouble the minute we got C Gardiner. Yes one more year may have been ok but lets face it 2 games in 2 years under 2 coaches. Yes he did break his leg but RL obviously thinks he lacks what it takes to play AFL.

Ive just got this feeling that most supporters believe that these blokes we recruited are going to dominate games.

Brooks and Watts are a different issue. Tall KPP....Who else do we have? We had some of the best in the competition ie Reiwoldt, Koschitzke, Gehrig....Anyone would find it difficult to break into that team when going well.

It just baffles me how some cant understand how much opportunity plays on distinguishing a players career. If you invested 60 games into every player drafted at AFL level, the list of 'made it' players would be extremely different.

Look at Maguires first years. I thought the bloke was shithouse. Played a bit in the forward line, couldnt kick, slow, seemed to take his time. But he was given opportunity, given time and played in position. Very different senario from a player that is required to star from the first minute. And trying to break into what is a successful team.

Is it any coincidence that most of our draftees between the 2000 and 2002 season have established themsleves while the 2003 to 2006 crop havnt come on so fast. It is only natural that players are going to spend more time in the reserves during successfull era's, and even more natural for them not to star when given a chance in the seniors.

Yet, persistence we have not. So best of luck to those ending their time at St Kilda.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

No one seems to know the situation re the rookies. My understanding is that C.Jones cant be given another year because he is now 24. He has to be promoted or let go. I cant see any point in promoting Attard, as he will miss nearly the whole season. Geary should be promoted. The rookie draft is on 11/12/07, so there is no rush to do anything with the rookies.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Brooks had to go and I have been strong on this since the middle of the year. Watts was in trouble the minute we got C Gardiner. Yes one more year may have been ok but lets face it 2 games in 2 years under 2 coaches. Yes he did break his leg but RL obviously thinks he lacks what it takes to play AFL.

Ive just got this feeling that most supporters believe that these blokes we recruited are going to dominate games.

Brooks and Watts are a different issue. Tall KPP....Who else do we have? We had some of the best in the competition ie Reiwoldt, Koschitzke, Gehrig....Anyone would find it difficult to break into that team when going well.

It just baffles me how some cant understand how much opportunity plays on distinguishing a players career. If you invested 60 games into every player drafted at AFL level, the list of 'made it' players would be extremely different.

Look at Maguires first years. I thought the bloke was shithouse. Played a bit in the forward line, couldnt kick, slow, seemed to take his time. But he was given opportunity, given time and played in position. Very different senario from a player that is required to star from the first minute. And trying to break into what is a successful team.

Is it any coincidence that most of our draftees between the 2000 and 2002 season have established themsleves while the 2003 to 2006 crop havnt come on so fast. It is only natural that players are going to spend more time in the reserves during successfull era's, and even more natural for them not to star when given a chance in the seniors.

Yet, persistence we have not. So best of luck to those ending their time at St Kilda.
Surely you are joking about persistance with Brooks. He has played for 6 years and never became a regular AFL footballer. It doesnt matter who is ahead of you if you at the club for that long and you have what it takes you will get a game. He couldnt because he wasnt good enough. Lets face it we had more injuries than most clubs in the last 3 years and he still didnt get a game.

Watts well he may have been unlucky to be delisted but he is a slow tall which doesnt suit RL game style IMO.

midas_touch
Club Player

Wishing those that got delisted all the best in their football away from St Kilda. Brooks was on borrowed time, and had to go whereas Watts was a player that didn't really fit into our team structure as a one paced forward. As for Sweeney and Raymond, I cannot really comment but I wish them all the very best too.

We have undergone a major list reshuffle since RL has been here, and is a testament to him having a vision and doing all the things necessary to try and make this a reality.

As for players such as McQualter and Ferguson, they have gotta consider themselves very lucky and literally treat 2008 as a make or break year.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:

As for players such as McQualter and Ferguson, they have gotta consider themselves very lucky and literally treat 2008 as a make or break year.
Definitely....time to pay the piper..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Megamaguire
Club Player

Brooks and Watts have turned out to be poor selections.

Were both unloaded from Port Adelaide ????????????????????

If so it would make sense to steer clear of port rejects in future.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Only Brooks was from PA..

Cain Ackland was also from PA though.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Our list is doomed.

Yeah, like Brooks and Watts (both rejects from other clubs).

Actually, we're replacing rejects with rejects.

Maybe the Reject Shop could sponsor us ... they have a red logo don't they?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

dsreg1 wrote:Well, hope he gets another gig, wish we could get our pick back!
We can.

The Pick #17 we traded to Adelaide for Watts was used to pick up Darren Pfeiffer, who has been delisted and we can pick him up in the PSD if we're so inclined, which we aren't.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Always thought the Watts trade was a weird one. He was a late first round KPP who couldn't get a game in a weak Crows attack. I thought we overpaid by giving a first rounder. Fortunately our second rounder ended up being a pretty good pick.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

finally brooks is gone!

That has been a long time coming. I always remember him sheparding one of our own players out of a marking contest and letting the opposition get it. Classic unco!

Why is nobody begging for him back? The slightest mention of a Brooks delist early in the year was met with great fanboy anger. Claims of Brooks being a superstar down on his luck?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i'd still have kept him ahead of Rix... still I'm glad that RL has at least made some tough decisions rather than the "i'll keep him on the list but not play him" model we've seen as of late

Solar
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:i'd still have kept him ahead of Rix... still I'm glad that RL has at least made some tough decisions rather than the "i'll keep him on the list but not play him" model we've seen as of late
agreed

most of us were just asking for him to be given a go, and yes he had more talent and ability in one hand then what rix has in his whole body. No upside to keeping rix.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Megamaguire
Club Player

Brooks and Watts remind the club of lost opportunities

Brooks always looked like he would have been a better player if a bit smaller. Hopefully our next big guy pick(s) will continue the fine Roo / Kosi / S. Fischer / Gilbert tradition. These guys are the prototypes.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Bono
Club Player

Thanks Sir Eric with the late news.

Good to see everyone living 5 days behind the times!