E-mail from Archie RE Rookies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spiral2
Club Player

great to see Geary retained, hope he gets a few games next year, looks like he could be a clever player. reminds me a bit of dal santo for some reason, has a bit of a swagger about him, hope he's a bit of a bolter a la Gilbert this year.

also nice to have eddy there who looks like a nice back up inside mid. if he can keep working on his disposal could also be very handy as he seems to win plenty of footy.

glad Mini got another year, really hope he can get his game together.
definitely has some good attributes, just needs to give everything he's got at training and on match day. really seemed to lose confidence in 07 and looked a bit lazy in the snippets of Casey games I saw. If he puts in a good summer he might be able to fill in for bakes in the early part of the year.

anyone know which of the NSW kids is being promoted? Is it the big fella (NZ parents?)? I recall reading something on here about one of these rookies playing a final in a NSW league and not doing all that well....??

great to see Archie (or one of his minions at least) getting back so promptly. wish the saints were a bit more active with news and player updates over summer.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Armoooo wrote :
I'm surprised that Jones was promoted to the senior list, I would be surprised if he got much game time at all this year especially with Schneider now in the team...

I agree 100% with that, and am a bit surprised that Jones was retained. Other than that, an excellent trading period for the Saints topped off by the snaring of Matthew Drain. Roll on 2008.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Skills can be learnt. With pace, you either have it or you don't.
Skills will not suddenly be learnt at age 24 when he has been playing football for most of his life. If he was an Irish guy who first kicked a footy in February then yes, he would probably improve. But he isn't and he has the worst kicking efficiency at St Kilda, and I would say the worst in the AFL. Below 75% is considered very poor at AFL level, while above 80% is good and above 85% excellent. Jones is at about 51%.
Jones 51% (which is about correct i believe, he was at 50.6 going into the Richmond game), is truly aweful, but otherwise your numbers are off.

Midfield average efficiency was around 73 in 2007, so 80s will probably turn out to be elite. Shift those numbers up 10% for backline players, and I really can't remember for forwards, whose efficiency numbers get thrown off via shooting at goal (a behind is still an efficient kick, and much easier than hitting a target in the toughest part of the ground).

I also wouldn't be surprised if Jones kicking efficiency were worst in the AFL... which is probably his greatest hope, it can't get any worse. (Birss must be glad to have him around having kicked at 67% or so).

I love the stats page in the AFL record before a game. :)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
GrumpyOne

bergholt wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Very happy with all of the decisions except for Jones.
Jones was one of the few in our midfield last year who could outrun a sleeping elephant.
He was also one of the guys in the midfield that couldn't hit the SIDE of a sleeping elephant!
Skills can be learnt. With pace, you either have it or you don't.
Yeah, Jayson Daniels improved his kicking out of sight in his 173 games and 11 years playing top-level footy.
Buckets Loewe couldn't hit the side of a barn in his first couple of years senior footy, ended up being one of the most reliable kicks in the club.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
bergholt wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Very happy with all of the decisions except for Jones.
Jones was one of the few in our midfield last year who could outrun a sleeping elephant.
He was also one of the guys in the midfield that couldn't hit the SIDE of a sleeping elephant!
Skills can be learnt. With pace, you either have it or you don't.
Yeah, Jayson Daniels improved his kicking out of sight in his 173 games and 11 years playing top-level footy.
Buckets Loewe couldn't hit the side of a barn in his first couple of years senior footy, ended up being one of the most reliable kicks in the club.
That is true but really only from set shots. it is a lot harder to improve players when they are on the run and under pressure. tend to go back to their old ways.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:hey thats great news.

that means the saints will only pick 3 players in the national draft, unless they delist more!

would that be correct?
we have until 31 October to lodge our first list lodgement before the draft.

I wouldn't mind another couple delistings, but 4 delistings + 5 retirements is still good and necessary turnover!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

that means the saints will only pick 3 players in the national draft, unless they delist more!

would that be correct?

I wouldn't mind another couple delistings, but 4 delistings + 5 retirements is still good and necessary turnover!
Out of curiosity, who else would you liek to see delisted?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

would that be correct?

I think the only player who may be out of contract is Mini so he could be the only other delisting.

F_Q_F
Club Player

Hi all, have read the forum for a while now and just new to posting.

Well done to Geary from all reports should be a handy player to have.
Also to Clinton Jones its a massive step from WAFL to AFL and good to see him given a chance.

Good to see the Saints using the rookie list productively. Even the question marks over Jones' kicking I think he should be given more than the 3-4 games to prove himself.

Bring on 2008, cant wait!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

would that be correct?

I think the only player who may be out of contract is Mini so he could be the only other delisting.
Nah, they can cancel a contract as long as they pay it out. Hamill had a contract for next year but he still disappeared.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

would that be correct?

Nah, they can cancel a contract as long as they pay it out. Hamill had a contract for next year but he still disappeared.
That is true but I doubt whether they would do that.

nicko016
Club Player

Very happy with how the rookie list is shaping up. Geary seems from all accounts very promising and it's also great to see Eddy, Van Rheenan and Attard retained. On Jones, if it were me I would have probably have just retained him instead of promoting him but he compared to most other rookies has actually player some league games and could actually have an impact with his tackling and pressure even if his footskills are not up to scratch. Attard would have been promoted ahead of CJ if he wsan't injured so CJ was maybe only promoted for this reason.

And its great that out NSW schlolarship player actually seems as if he may turn out to be a decent player. If he is an extra rookie outside of our six would that make any difference if were were looking at promoting him?
Last edited by nicko016 on Wed 17 Oct 2007 6:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Below 75% is considered very poor at AFL level, while above 80% is good and above 85% excellent. Jones is at about 51%.
Geez, a whole 10% between poor and excellent.

What's that for a midfielder .... 2 more kicks that hit a target during a match!!!

A whole 2 kicks !!!

Sheesh ...

Lenny Hayes, by your definition, is a "poor" kick.

I agree that Jones' skills are bad, but Andrew Thompson played 200 games with a kicking efficiency that was around 70%.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
supersaints
Club Player

I would have thought that it would be smarter to put Attard on the injured list , last I heard he was going to miss at least the first half of the season
that would have let us keep one of the delisted rookies for a last chance, or give us a spot to try another??

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
RBnW
Club Player

supersaints wrote:I would have thought that it would be smarter to put Attard on the injured list , last I heard he was going to miss at least the first half of the season
that would have let us keep one of the delisted rookies for a last chance, or give us a spot to try another??
and how would that allow us to take or keep another Rookie???
When Attard was fit where would they go...back to the Rookie list only if there was a vacant spot ?
am I missing something here....

Our best is yet
to come......
Liam_G
Club Player

nicko016 wrote:On Jones, if it were me I would have probably have just retained him instead of promoting him but he compared to most other rookies has actually player some league games and could actually have an impact with his tackling and pressure even if his footskills are not up to scratch.
I think, due to his age, it was either elevate to the senior list or cut from the list completely. I believe he was too old to keep on the rookie list for another season.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Liam_G wrote:
nicko016 wrote:On Jones, if it were me I would have probably have just retained him instead of promoting him but he compared to most other rookies has actually player some league games and could actually have an impact with his tackling and pressure even if his footskills are not up to scratch.
I think, due to his age, it was either elevate to the senior list or cut from the list completely. I believe he was too old to keep on the rookie list for another season.
wouldve prefered if it he was cut...christ id rather james wall than jones

elphie
Club Player

excited to hear all the positive chatter about GEARY. heard he had big stats come end of year witth CASEY but hardly know anything about his origins, profile, and strengths, best position...etc
COULD SOMEONE HELP ME OUT, EVEN IF FROM PREVIOUS POST?
thanks

stinger
Saintsational Legend

spiral2 wrote:great to see Geary retained, hope he gets a few games next year, looks like he could be a clever player. reminds me a bit of dal santo for some reason, has a bit of a swagger about him, hope he's a bit of a bolter a la Gilbert this year.

also nice to have eddy there who looks like a nice back up inside mid. if he can keep working on his disposal could also be very handy as he seems to win plenty of footy.
yep...that is good news....i think that both the on ballers have a bit to offer.....geary and eddy....

...didn't someone on here say that they had spoken to geary and that the news was all bad.......false info it would seem...who was the poster....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: E-mail from Archie RE Rookies

skeptic wrote:Hi all, sent this of to Mr. Fraser and he promptly responded...
(
see what happens..go to the right person and you get the full story....instead of all the supposition that goes on around here..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

our four scholarship players are craig lowe, kane murphy joshua duncan and khan hareteku

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
(
see what happens..go to the right person and you get the full story....instead of all the supposition that goes on around here..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds good. Can you send AF an email to find out if we will win the flag next year. :D

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:our four scholarship players are craig lowe, kane murphy joshua duncan and khan hareteku
i think khan is old enough

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
(

Sounds good. Can you send AF an email to find out if we will win the flag next year. :D
you and revolting have a fair bit in common......

......didn't see any retractions from you for your definitive statement that that little arsewipe sheldon would be a definite stayer for the 2008 season..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

i told you he was gone...and blind freddy could have seen the sacking coming......but not you.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
(

you and revolting have a fair bit in common......

......didn't see any retractions from you for your definitive statement that that little arsewipe sheldon would be a definite stayer for the 2008 season..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

i told you he was gone...and blind freddy could have seen the sacking coming......but not you.....

I was actually having a joke with you but obviously you have no sense of humour. After all humour may not have been invented when you were born.

As for the other matter I did apologise. I hope every time you say something wrong you do the same.