Why Brooks was delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintwill66
Club Player

Why Brooks was delisted

Heard today from a source related to one of the players that the reason Brooks was finally delisted is that he lacked real drive and passion to be competitive - he could certainly play but "wouldn't harm a fly", which was often exposed at closed one-on-one training sessions. It explains why the club persevered with him in the hope that he could develop the desire to be really physical in ruck contests.

Same source reckoned that Goose was extremely close to leaving - had lucrative approaches from Carlton & Richmond, and it was only after Mick Malthouse made a move to grab him that the Saints got their act together to offer him a worthwhile contract. Just as well, because he's going to be an absolute star......

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why Brooks was delisted

saintwill66 wrote:Heard today from a source related to one of the players that the reason Brooks was finally delisted is that he lacked real drive and passion to be competitive - he could certainly play but "wouldn't harm a fly", which was often exposed at closed one-on-one training sessions. It explains why the club persevered with him in the hope that he could develop the desire to be really physical in ruck contests.

yep....i have seen him do some incredibly agile things for a guy of his size...real shame.......someone else will pick him up...whether or not he succeeds is up to him....gentle island boy...no harm in that...unless you want to be an afl ruckman.....
Last edited by stinger on Fri 19 Oct 2007 5:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Saw him "physically" smash Corey McKernan in a pratice match about three years ago and thought he had turned the corner. Unfortunately it wasn't to be.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Solar
Saintsational Legend

yep, makes complete sense,

had all the tools to make it but was a laid back king island bloke and thus was never really able to grasp his chance. Shame because if he had half of rix's desire he would have played 100+ games

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Behind Play
Club Player

saintwill66 wrote: Same source reckoned that Goose was extremely close to leaving - had lucrative approaches from Carlton & Richmond, and it was only after Mick Malthouse made a move to grab him that the Saints got their act together to offer him a worthwhile contract. Just as well, because he's going to be an absolute star......
Obviously most contract problems have been solved at this time however, with our new football manager, IMO we will see a difference in how contracts are negotiated next time round.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintwill66 wrote:Same source reckoned that Goose was extremely close to leaving - had lucrative approaches from Carlton & Richmond, and it was only after Mick Malthouse made a move to grab him that the Saints got their act together to offer him a worthwhile contract. Just as well, because he's going to be an absolute star......
i agree. let's hope he can turn it on from the very start of 2008 and help get us off to a flyer

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Not good enough.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Not good enough.
??

Goose

Brooks

Both

Or just the previous posts???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

yeah thats obvious

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
??

Goose

Brooks

Both

Or just the previous posts???
Sorry just answering the question on the thread. Brooks.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thanks ..I agree..

Not quite a ruckman.

Not quite a key forward...

And not enough heart to overcome not quite being either.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

so, i think that answers the question that the worlds greatest scholars have been debating since the beginning of time...

Rix > Brooks

:D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Huzzad
Club Player

Rix has potential. Some games he is too quiet, others he is fercious and a great tackling-ruckman. I forget which game it was...think against the dockers or bulldogs, didnt pick up many possies, but his intensity and tackling was great. Wish he could just find his motor and keep it switched on, cause with Rix firing, we would have a great ruckman.

As for Brooks, happy to see him go. The games he played I watched, I was far from impressed with the exception of the preseason when he kicked a couple of goals, his other performances have been dismal.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:Rix has potential. Some games he is too quiet, others he is fercious and a great tackling-ruckman. I forget which game it was...think against the dockers or bulldogs, didnt pick up many possies, but his intensity and tackling was great. Wish he could just find his motor and keep it switched on, cause with Rix firing, we would have a great ruckman.

As for Brooks, happy to see him go. The games he played I watched, I was far from impressed with the exception of the preseason when he kicked a couple of goals, his other performances have been dismal.
\
didn't see him in the game against brisbane then?????????????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:Rix has potential. Some games he is too quiet, others he is fercious and a great tackling-ruckman. I forget which game it was...think against the dockers or bulldogs, didnt pick up many possies, but his intensity and tackling was great. Wish he could just find his motor and keep it switched on, cause with Rix firing, we would have a great ruckman.

I agree, but for diplomacy I would say good ruckman

Rix compete's very well, excellent aggression and tackling, second efforts and one percenters

just needs to assert himself a bit more around the ground, run to the right places

while we have have M.Gardiner and King there are no gaurantee's with either of them and Rix has a far greater aerobic capacity than both of them

If one of those two really step up then Rix would still be a very handy back up as a second ruckman

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

If Rix contributed a hell of a lot more or at all around the ground, and improved overall which he is capable of, he would make a decent back up ruckman.

Carpe Diem
Solar
Saintsational Legend

brooks, didn't work hard enough and want it
rix wants it and is at his peak

given all that, at least brooks could take a mark and kick over 30 metres.....

but hell, rix TRIES HARD and that means the world.... :roll:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote: but hell, rix TRIES HARD and that means the world.... :roll:
obviously, thats why hes still at the club....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Which is exactly why I went in swinging for Rix time and time again on this forum.
Yeah Stinger, in 6 years Brooks kicked three goals in one Lions game against an undermanned end of season dead rubber. But then there is always THAT handball against PA down in tassie. They even out. :oops:

Yeah I hope he gets picked up by another club, because it is sad to see a footballer loose his bread and butter before his time. But I wont be holding my breath to see if he does. It will be interesting to see if he isnt drafted whether Casey keep him on and give him a pay cheque.

Seeya
sax
Club Player

Romours are Brooks has been approached by Tassie Devils, but he wants to see what happens in the draft.
I'd say he wont be at Casey next year, if he doesn't get picked up he'll play for the Devils.
Makes sense, being a King Island lad!
Last edited by sax on Sun 21 Oct 2007 9:47am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to brooks, I hope he gets another shot.

if he doesn't get picked or if he gets picked up and doesn't fire then the club was right.

if is picked up and fires up, then it would be interesting to see

either way whats done is done.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bob__71
Club Player

Brooks will come down and star for Tassie I reckon...and good on him for that. Will be a win for the Devils...and I think maybe he might do ok.

What I would like to know is how much was psycologically invested in Brooks....I only wonder because I think with some good councelling he could have realised he was a huge man and if he really wanted to play football he could.

Alternativly if he just doesnt like being rough then footy wont be his thing.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

I Agree Huzzad.

He is a handy Backup Ruckman.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Those rose tinted glasses are amazing... Rix is aweful. Trent Knobel was a better player for the Saints. Rix would not get a game for any other club

wallbanger
Club Player

Brooks has been a waste of time - and a very frustrating one. Obviously he has shown some potential along the line in order to have the expectations placed on him that were, but in the end he really has been a disappointment. Personally I don't think he will get anywhere at AFL level, but maybe in the second tier leagues he might get an opportunity and forge an okay career - good luck to him.

As for Rix, I tend to agree with Skeptic - he is at best a 'workmanlike' back-up ruckman, but even then for a guy of his build with somewhat okay mobility, he simply doesn't get enough of the footy. You would think that against the bigger, lankier ruckmen he might be able to get in some space and load up on possessions, but it never seems to happen. He needs to be kept and persisted with (some might say unfortunately!) because King and Gardiner may not be certainties, but he needs to lift - as a smaller ruckman who gets beaten by taller guys in the ruck contest, he really needs to make up for that around the ground.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)