Probe puts Pratt's presidency in doubt: The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Source: http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/pratt ... 65447.html

Probe puts Pratt's presidency in doubt
Michael Gleeson | October 24, 2007

Billionaire Richard Pratt might have to quit as Carlton Football Club president after his admission that his company Visy ran the biggest price-fixing cartel in Australian corporate history.

Collusion by Visy and its rival Amcor to fix prices will be raised in determining whether Mr Pratt is an appropriate person to hold a gaming licence. If he is considered inappropriate, he will have to stand down from the position at Carlton, the club he has almost single-handedly saved in the past year.

Board members of clubs or companies that hold gaming licences must be assessed for their suitability by the Victorian Commission for Gaming Regulation.

Carlton has 100 poker machines and Mr Pratt's application for a gaming licence is being processed.

The Gambling Regulation Act requires a person seeking a gaming licence to be "of good repute, having regard to character, honesty and integrity".

Mr Pratt's company has admitted to 103 breaches of the Trade Practices Act by colluding to fix prices. He has agreed to pay $36 million of a total $38 million in fines as part of a mediated settlement with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. The offences admitted are not criminal.

The executive commissioner of the VCGR, Peter Cohen, said the commission would wait for a Federal Court ruling on the settlement before considering Mr Pratt's application.

"We are aware of Mr Pratt's issues and we are monitoring that situation to see if anything arises from that which would concern us," he said.

"We do not prejudge anyone, and we are not yet in a position to judge Mr Pratt as there are outstanding matters before the courts. We will treat Mr Pratt the same as we would treat any other applicant. We need to be satisfied that he is an appropriate person to be involved in gaming."

The VCGR will balance the Visy admissions with Mr Pratt's lifetime in business and philanthropy.

In court, Mr Pratt distanced himself from the collusion, saying he was unaware of much of the detail of what took place.

"I know a lot more now than I knew then, but I sincerely regret what happened and I accept ultimate responsibility," he said outside court.

Carlton chief executive Greg Swann said he was confident the application would be accepted. "I have no concerns. Dick has established his reputation over 50 years in business and philanthropy," he said.

Gambling experts have called on the VCGR to refuse Mr Pratt's application. Dr Charles Livingstone, senior lecturer in the School of Primary Health Care at Monash University, said it would "not be a good look" for someone who had admitted such significant deception offences to be deemed appropriate to hold a gaming licence.

"I think it would be inappropriate if he was able to continue as a gaming operator. He is the principal person at the club and it would not be a good look in my opinion. If the authority is disposed to give him the licence he is seeking, I think people might well be concerned about that," he said.

Dr James Doughney, senior researcher at Victoria University, also said Mr Pratt should not get a licence.

super dooper
Club Player

Re: Probe puts Pratt's presidency in doubt: The Age

The Gambling Regulation Act requires a person seeking a gaming licence to be "of good repute, having regard to character, honesty and integrity".

honesty and integrity are the biggest strengths down their at carlton :shock:

one of the saviours could be out, i guess we will just have to wait

bigmicka
Club Player

They let Elliot have a license.

They let Collo have a license.

I doubt they will see any problems with Pratt having a license.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
GrumpyOne

Hands up all those who wished it was an anal probe.

JeffDunne

I reckon a probe would put his sphincter in doubt.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

have to love the carscum...how would we have to laugh at if that cheating corrupt rabble wasn't in existence.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saint Mik
Club Player

Poor Pratty :roll:

Wont get a gaming licence good on ya Gleeson how much do they cost

Small change for one of those gaming licenses it wont be a problem and he will just take it out of the jar that is marked (money I got from those I bent over)

Money talks and always has its just a pitty we have never been able to handle it very well when it has counted because mabey we should of had another cup in the cabinet.

Cheats yes but they have learnt from the past and its now time to make up for it so (lets cheat smarter) another cup might just be on its way IMO so i'm not laughing at all and if they end up with Embely i will be nearly in tears

FARKING SCUMS are at it again and better than ever :cry:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well Pratt like all Carlscum fans would still be Judding off at everyone how Judding good their Juddy team is.

Would be funny if he was banned as Prez, but I'm sure he wangle his way out of it.....

bringon08

IMO a media beat-up. he has probably already done what he needed to do at cfc anyway.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bringon08 wrote:IMO a media beat-up. he has probably already done what he needed to do at cfc anyway.
And what's that?

All I see is more of what has got Carlton in trouble in the first place - quick fixes.

Footy is different to what it was.

You build slowly, but surely. Carlton still don't get that. They think they're back because they're splashing the cash around.

Doesn't work that way. If it did, Collingwood would have won the past 6 flags.

bringon08

rodgerfox wrote:
bringon08 wrote:IMO a media beat-up. he has probably already done what he needed to do at cfc anyway.
And what's that?
he employed swann and co. and a stable board. and cleared most of the trash that remained after the collins era. got a fresh coach to the club who has yet to prove himself but is a welcome change from pagan and couldnt possibly be worse. he helped land one of the best players around (a massive coup for the club) and is highly responsible for carlton making a $3mil profit. he has also got carlton supporters excited about football which will sell memberships and generate money for the club.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

a 3million dollar profit that includes 2 million from the AFL, 1 million from Pratt and 1 million from a fundraising event. All one off payments. If Pratt isn't there next year Carlton are only slightly better off from last year. Saying that Pratt will be granted a gambling ok.

As for the stable board you forget it is made up of half factions from the start of the year, who went out of it's way to get Pratt to hold it together. If Pratt goes the board will be divided with no cllear leadership.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bringon08 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
And what's that?
he employed swann and co. and a stable board. and cleared most of the trash that remained after the collins era. got a fresh coach to the club who has yet to prove himself but is a welcome change from pagan and couldnt possibly be worse. he helped land one of the best players around (a massive coup for the club) and is highly responsible for carlton making a $3mil profit. he has also got carlton supporters excited about football which will sell memberships and generate money for the club.
All very short sighted. All quick fixes.

And typically, Carlton supporters are all beating their chests about it all.

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

I thought being a criminal was a prerequisite to being Carlton president.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Media Update:
PRATT TO STAND DOWN: REPLACEMENT ANNOUNCED
Carlton Football Club President Richard Pratt today announced that he will stand down from the board effective immediately. Mr Pratt explained that due to his inability to gain a gambling licence after his public & costly spat with the ACCC, he will relinquish the Carlton Presidency.

Key Board member Stephen 'Sticks' Kernahan stated that while Pratt's resignation was a disappointment, it presented an exciting opportunity to appoint a high achieving business leader with a squeaky clean corporate record. Mr. Kernahan nominated former One-Tel director Rodney Adler as Mr.Pratt's heir apparent.

Mr.Adler, who has spent the last 2 and a half years working in 'government industries', is a corporate high flyer that Mr.Kernahan considers' just the right type of person for Carlton'.

Mr Adler said that the first duty of his presidency was to raise the cost of membership to fund a new wing on his harbourside mansion and replace the famous Carlton CFC crest with a dollar sign. "That is what our high profile recruit is all about & we're willing to sell out the rest of the club to appease him", stated the new President about his new recruit, club captain and paper bag carrier, Chris Judd.

A number of other appointments were also announced with

**Greek businessman Anthony Mokbel taking over a new role 'Alcohol and Drug Compliance and Testing'.

**TV Personality Steve Vizard appointed General Manager of Corporate Governance and Legal Responsibilities

**Olympic Champion Marion Jones Head of Sport Sciences

**Wichelsea identity Robert Farquarson being put in charge of junior development

**Local Businessman Carl Williams promoted to Fund Raising and Security Manager.

Mr Kernahan stated that he and the Carlton Board were very diligent in regards to the background checks of new personnel, especially in light of Mr.Pratt's problem's with the ACCC. Mr Kernahan said that the days of Carlton being linked with cheating, lying, stealing, de-frauding and molesting of farm animals was behind them. "This is the new Carlton".

Quixote
SS Life Member

** The new role of official talent scout for the Indigenous and Islander Communities goes to David Oldfield

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Mr.Adler, who has spent the last 2 and a half years working in 'government industries', is a corporate high flyer that Mr.Kernahan considers' just the right type of person for Carlton'.
:lol: :lol:

Terrific work Animal Enclosure.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Played around with your post a bit Animal Enclosure, and I posted it it on Talking Carlton.

It was terrific ... I hope you don't mind !

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
GrumpyOne

Oh When the Saints wrote:Played around with your post a bit Animal Enclosure, and I posted it it on Talking Carlton.

It was terrific ... I hope you don't mind !
No wonder we get so many of their trolls here.

Anybody heard about not poking sleeping dogs?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Ha ha ha .... got locked straight away.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bringon08 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
And what's that?
2 mill of which was by way of an afl handout ffs..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Ha ha ha .... got locked straight away.

i see that you upset that flowering piece of dog sh!t who goes by the nic of agro..........

"Since this thread is still open - I will take this opportunity to let OWTS know what a general all round Colin Tripper that he is.

You would be banned from most other fan sites for the tripe you put up in the other thread.

Before you cast aspersions at Richard Pratt - have a look at the sad and sorry history of Presidents that you have had at your sad and sorry club.

In particular that doyen of Australian Businessmen Lindsay Fox who instead of putting his money where his mouth was all those years ago - crafted a 7 cents in the dollar deal to shaft a myriad of creditors including St. Kilda greats to keep your sad and sorry club afloat.

The first thing Richard Pratt did when he walked into our club - was put his hand in his pocket.

The last thing Lindsay Fox did for your club was put the clubs hand in everyone elses pocket."

as someone said...don't feed the monkeys........

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

agro wrote:The first thing Richard Pratt did when he walked into our club - was put his hand in his pocket.
Which was full of cash that he stole from the entire population.

Sadly, the dick will escape any real punishment for his corruption (I bet it costs him $36 mil for a shag), the next flog to do such a thing will go to jail (though happily it's likely to be a blews supporter!).

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
stinger
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
agro wrote:The first thing Richard Pratt did when he walked into our club - was put his hand in his pocket.
Which was full of cash that he stole from the entire population.

Sadly, the dick will escape any real punishment for his corruption (I bet it costs him $36 mil for a shag), the next flog to do such a thing will go to jail (though happily it's likely to be a blews supporter!).
well..........have you seen his missus,,,no one would bump uglies with her.......but i have seen pratts "girlfriend"...she aint no oil painting either.......

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ceo cops it in the neck...now for pratt.....

"
Visy CEO Debney resigns

October 25, 2007

VISY Industries chief executive Harry Debney resigned from his post today after admitting he broke competition laws.
In an email to employees today, Mr Debney, the right-hand man of Visy owner Richard Pratt, said he had decided to resign his post.

The resignation follows the decision by Mr Pratt and his Visy group of companies to admit to the price-fixing arrangement with their arch rival Amcor.

Mr Pratt and Visy now face a record $36 million penalty for the four-year cardboard cartel.

“While the circumstances surrounding the issue are complex and there were many factors at play leading to the decision to settle, it is clear that my actions breached the Trade Practices Act on a number of occasions,â€