AFL Fixture 2008 (see page 2 for full fixture)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:Agree fonz.

At the absolute worst, IMO we need to go 7-4 in the first half of the year.

That means 6-5 in the back straight to comfortably play finals ...

With a fully fit 22, and pretty much based on '07 form, I can see us winning 15 games if we get some form going.

But the first half of the year is crucial. If we are any worse off than 7-4, IMO we won't play finals.
I guess we will just have to go 11-0 then.

I'm tipping 10-1 with a loss to Collingwood. Wins against last year's grand finalists will do wonders for our confidence.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:They seem to work ok at other indoor stadiums........
I'll have to take your word for it. I've never seen a game of anything played on a decent indoor grass surface. And where the TD surface is concerned, I'm an eternal pessimist.
Well on behalf of the Forum I am happy to volunteer to undertake a fact finding tour of the stadiums in Europe......as long as I am fully subsidised of course :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Anyway.....the draw looks to be favourable....and having a soft first half really gives us a great chance to get some momentum going.........and to build on the momentum that we seem to be building at present:

*some good drafting......with King and the Schneiderman (anything from the other two is juts a bonus!!)

*some EXCEPTIONAL off-field improvement on the player conditioning side which late in the year already seemed to be translating intoa low injury rate...and this BEFORE Misson and our Olympic Dc and Victory Physio all joing..

*stirring B+F speech from Roo committing the players to pulling their fingers out...

Just need the new Board now to jump on board with some MAJOR MAJOR sponsor news...and to have some luck with the new 3 rookies and the kiddie draft (though this years kids are more for several years time)...

...and yes for Gardi to actually play!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Five of our six interstate games are telecast on FOX TV. Too bad for people who don't have it!
Good point.

It is therefore imperative Westaway and his team get Foxtel up and going at the Moorabbin Social Club once again.

5 games where 100+ people will turn up (maybe more if we're in good form)......if they do some decent fundraising each night it should be worthwhile exercise.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Looks like a very good draw for us. I dont care what other clubs get as long as the Saints get a good draw. The only negitive is 6 interstate but one against the Roos doesnt really favour anyone so it is like 5 and a half to me.

noddy

would have been nice for us SA members to get both a crow and a port game at AAMI. better than going to the gold coast and playing on a B grade oval

kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

The statement that the fixture is more 'even' and 'fair' this year is a joke.

Why is it not possibly that each Victoria team have the same amount of games interstate???

At worst, the difference should only be 1 extra game outside Vic.

How can 3 Vic teams (carlton, essendon & magpies) only travel 4 times interstate whilst another Vic team (St Kilda) be forced to play 6 games away???

The only answer is a predisposed bias towards some Vic teams.

St Kilda easily has been given the worst 'travelling' fixture than any other team... (nb: not including any teams silly enough to sell home games interstate).

However, in terms of 'playing' fairness (re: difficulty of teams played twice), i think our draw is pretty good.

Interesting to note: on the PDF version of fixture on afl.com, it specifies the # of times that a team plays a top 8 / bottom 8 team from 07.

St Kilda: plays 3 teams from top 8 last year twice (Pies, Swans & Port)
and 4 teams twice from bottom 8 (blues, freo... etc).

Looking at some other teams... the general rule appears that a top 8 team from last years play 4 top 8 teams from 07 twice. Whilst a bootm 8 team from last year plays a top 8 team twice only 3 times.

(i know this is getting messy but bear with me...)

Intersting to note the exceptions to the rule:

Collingwood (top 8 in 07) only play 3 teams twice from top 8 last year (surprise surprise) as does Adelaide.

Whilst at the other end...
Freo (bottom 8 last year) plays 4 teams twice from last years top 8
as does the brisbane Lions.

Anyway,
Despite my frustrations, i still think sainst will do well next year.
Go Saints!!

go saints!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Jeepers creepers....are we the only Forum to grizzle about too many games on our home ground??????? lol

11 home games at TD..will never complain about that. No other Melbourne club has 11 home games at the one ground!!

All in all not a bad draw....happy to have a crack at Port over here..happy we are playing Freo over here after Bakes gets back.

Oh..AFAIK Collingwood will never play more than 4 games Interstate..they have pre-existing arrangements with the G to play 14 games there and with TD to play 4....(and yes the AFL lets them get away with it) ...therefore only leaves 4 rounds to travel.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

kickittokosi!!!! wrote:words
F*** me, that's an annoying username to read. :shock: :wink:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:
kickittokosi!!!! wrote:words
f*** me, that's an annoying username to read. :shock: :wink:
Norti, Norti, Norti, this is unfortunately a G rated forum, and we can't be seen to swear!!!!

mischa
Club Player

Well it's the second best draw we've had in some time! And all those night games can only be good for membership.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:Norti, Norti, Norti, this is unfortunately a G rated forum, and we can't be seen to swear!!!!
Oh, flower off. :wink:

super dooper
Club Player

noddy wrote:would have been nice for us SA members to get both a crow and a port game at AAMI. better than going to the gold coast and playing on a B grade oval
I see you point of view from a supporter side of things, but id rather a trip to the gold coast (if we have to travel that is) than another trip to adelaide for the fact that our chances of getting 4 points are more likely which increases.

If we can get 8-12 points out of our 6 trips i will be more than satisfied.

I think PA must love playing us there every year coz they can just pencil that game in regardless, we must look to reverse this.

May i ask how you put up with those animals at a saints game in adelaide? Ive been once and will never go back after the crap i copped as a 10 YEAR OLD!!!!
My mate who is a geelong supporter went there this year and some random PA supporter kicked him in the grandstands

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

The draw looks good.

We have a few free-to-air games witch is good is good for people like me who don't have FOX :D

Can't wait for next year

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabi ... wsId=52820

Interesting that 3 clubs mentioned us in their statement.

Brisbane:
We also face the big guns of Sydney, Hawthorn, St Kilda and West Coast at home plus a big Western Bulldogs and Carlton double at the Gabba in Rounds 20 and 21.
Port Adelaide:
We couldn’t have a better game than the Grand Final rematch to kick the season off, and we have some other tantalising games against the likes of St Kilda, a revamped Carlton with Chris Judd, Fremantle, Collingwood on a Friday night, and of course the Showdown in Round 16.
Western Bulldogs:
“On top of our three Friday night clashes against St Kilda and Essendon twice, the spread of games across the weekend will give our increasing supporter base every opportunity to support the Bulldogs.

And our statement: CEO Archie Fraser said:
"This is a great draw for our members and supporters, as the Saints will be playing 16 games in Melbourne and 14 matches at Telstra Dome. We will also travel to every state except Tasmania, which is great news for Saints supporters all over the country

"The club has 16 games that will be broadcast on free-to-air TV and with St Kilda playing nine of its first 11 games at Telstra Dome, the club has a great start to the 2008 season.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I reckon its a great draw. Id rather have a absolute gift first half of the draw than the other way round. ^ interstate, bah....it happens, if you have momentem, its no issue really. At least the last round is round 20, thats the big positive regarding the travelling games.

To the wingers, have a look again at the first 8 rounds! Thats a nice prezzie if I have ever seen one!! :D

crowjelly
Club Player

[quote="iwantmeseats"]
To the wingers, have a look again at the first 8 rounds! Thats a nice prezzie if I have ever seen one!! :D[/quote]

I think they call them all mid-fielders now!

I'm loving this - underdogs at 3 to 1, grand final experience in our favor and Pies over confident. Go Saints - I'm loading up!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

The draw suits me very nicely.
I go to all (or most) Melbourne games so thats 16 games straight off. Then I'll manange to get to one or two interstate matches if they fit in with times. Our round 6 match against Port is on April the 26th, one day after ANZAC Day so that gives me the Friday to head to South Australia. Then I'll be able to go to the round 9 clash against Brisbane as it is on Sunday, early. Fly up Saturday evening and leave Sunday evening. Unless something special comes up I'll most likely have to pass on the Sydney match in round 12 as June 14 doesn't have any special dates around it as far as i'm concerned. However June 28th is the first day of the winter holidays so I'll be able to fly up to the Gold Coast and watch our match against the Kangaroos. I'll most likely have to pass on the Western Australian games.

So for me I could go to about 19 matches next season.

Bring it on!

claystreet
Club Player

great incentive for a membership
plenty of Melbourne games

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

claystreet wrote:great incentive for a membership
plenty of Melbourne games
1 less game than last year - had 17 games in victoria BUT the early home games a bonus

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

interesting to see the new Anzac Day 'night" match involving Freo and Cats.

About time in my opinion.
It's great to see some new clubs get involved in the Anzac day spirit.

Hopefully this becomes a regular addition to Anzac Day.
i.e. a different interstate team hosting a different victorian team each year.

2 great benefits:
other club players get involved in Anzac day spirit + spotlight,
+ gets other teams supporters! involved in footabll on anzac day.

Thoughts?

go saints!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Looks like a very good draw for us. I dont care what other clubs get as long as the Saints get a good draw. The only negitive is 6 interstate but one against the Roos doesnt really favour anyone so it is like 5 and a half to me.
you're joking......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

kickittokosi!!!! wrote:interesting to see the new Anzac Day 'night" match involving Freo and Cats.

About time in my opinion.
It's great to see some new clubs get involved in the Anzac day spirit.

Hopefully this becomes a regular addition to Anzac Day.
i.e. a different interstate team hosting a different victorian team each year.

2 great benefits:
other club players get involved in Anzac day spirit + spotlight,
+ gets other teams supporters! involved in footabll on anzac day.

Thoughts?
Forget it. It's a Friday night during football season. Nothing to do with Anzac Day (except that Fremantle often requests Anzac Day matches where the day falls on a Fri/Sat/Sun).

kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

oh OK, didn;t realise that was the reason.
Cheers Riewoldting.

go saints!
kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

oh OK, didn;t realise that was the reason.
Cheers Riewoldting.

go saints!