where to now for Rix? (And Brooks!)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Yep especially when you throw in
tackles per game 2.2
frees for 1.4
frees against .9
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... &pid2=1653

Seeya
wildgoose
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:I have absolutely nothing against the guy personally
That's good to hear. You tend to direct a lot of vitriol towards players who you don't rate, and it gives the appearance (obviously not your intention) that you hate them in some way.

Basically, I think Rix and Clint Jones are vital members of our best 22 :wink:
And Blake and Birss as well?? That would be 4 players that are GOP's. I hope not.

And hack pup is out again, bowled without troubling the scorers.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:The fact that he was cut from Hawthorn's rookie list shows that at least one other club made the decision that he isn't AFL standard.
Yes and Port summed up Brooks very quickly dumped him on us and denied us the chance to get Salopek, now you tell me of the two, which player cost the Saints dearly & who is still playing for us?
The situations are just a tiny bit different.

Rix was rookie listed by a club with only one ruckman and cut from their list after just one year.

Brooks was taken in the first round of the best draft ever, but to a team which already had 3 dominant ruckmen and a bunch of other backup/developing options. Brooks as a 17 year old at Port was behind Primus, Brogan, Lade, French and Ackland for a spot in the side. He really wasn't needed at Port Adelaide but they deemed that his value was too great to let slip. Then we offered pick 6 and 31 for him and they agreed to offload their 6th ruck option for a high draft pick and another middle-range pick (as any club with decent list management would).

Ruckman being cut from rookie list of team lacking ruckmen = Very bad sign for the player
Ruckman being traded from team with 4 quality ruck options for two good draft picks = Shows player is of value. We wouldn't have just went straight to Port and said "here, you can have all of our draft picks for Brooks." That is the price Port wanted for him and wouldn't have traded him for anything less.

Lyon seems to just look for endurance and agression from a ruckman. Rix is fit and always looks angry. Brooks never had the fitness to be a number one ruckman and had no agression in his game. He doesn't have the physical capability to be a quality AFL ruckman, but he would have been a handy option up forward who could pinch-hit in the ruck.
Hey Skeptic, Solar and MSG

2007 St Kilda Saints Total Hitouts Leaders (Minimum 5 Games Played)
Rank Name Games Total
1 Michael Rix 17 206
2 Justin Koschitzke 19 155
3 Matthew Clarke 10 141
4 Jason Blake 22 79
Hey sunsaint.

Michael Rix - 12.1 hitouts per game
Guy Richards - 12.8 hitouts per game

Rix: Career Highs
Disposals - 11
Kicks - 7
Marks - 4
Hitouts - 22

Richards: Career Highs
Disposals - 16
Kicks - 14
Marks - 10
Hitouts - 30

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote: Michael Rix - 12.1 hitouts per game

Disposals - 11
Kicks - 7
Marks - 4
Hitouts - 22

Disposals - 16
Kicks - 14
Marks - 10
Hitouts - 30
Rix 2007 Stats:
Game's Played: 17
Total Hitouts: 206
Total Tackles: 38
Total Goals: 2

Richards 2007 Stats:
Game's Played: 16
Total Hitouts: 205
Total Tackles: 15
Total Goals: 0

When Richards played this year he was mainly the number 1 Ruckman and when Rix played he was the always the number 2 Ruckman.

The big difference is the total tackles Rix-38- Richards-15.

I would also love to know what the total numbers of 1 per-centres were in 2007 for these two players, I would have my money on Rix to have more.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote: Michael Rix - 12.1 hitouts per game

Disposals - 11
Kicks - 7
Marks - 4
Hitouts - 22

Disposals - 16
Kicks - 14
Marks - 10
Hitouts - 30
Rix 2007 Stats:
Game's Played: 17
Total Hitouts: 206
Total Tackles: 38
Total Goals: 2

Richards 2007 Stats:
Game's Played: 16
Total Hitouts: 205
Total Tackles: 15
Total Goals: 0

When Richards played this year he was mainly the number 1 Ruckman and when Rix played he was the always the number 2 Ruckman.

The big difference is the total tackles Rix-38- Richards-15.

I would also love to know what the total numbers of 1 per-centres were in 2007 for these two players, I would have my money on Rix to have more.
Wow, tackles!

Disregards the need for handballs, hitouts, marks, goals & especially KICKS.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Capuano

Knobel

Ackland

Rix

Clarke

.....Seriously, we should actually go out and try and draft dud ruckmen, because clearly our strategys fo securing talent ARNT working.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Out of all the ruckmen that have been on AFL list say over the last 10 years how many have actually been any good? Apart from maybe Port each club would be lucky to have more than one each over that time.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Barney2
Club Player

brookes is delisted anyway. I would of let him play one more season. Rixy last chance, sorry hollywood. GArdiner will not play again. Keep all ears out. foot gone. from reports i have heard. King great pick up and can tangkle with kosy for top spot. I would kos floating forward line. Cain ackland huge loss. Nooooooooooooooooot.
anyway, go saints

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Barney2 wrote:GArdiner will not play again. Keep all ears out. foot gone. from reports i have heard.
Has widely been reported that this is not the case, and that his body is in good condition. Care to reveal your source?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:The fact that he was cut from Hawthorn's rookie list shows that at least one other club made the decision that he isn't AFL standard.
Yes and Port summed up Brooks very quickly dumped him on us and denied us the chance to get Salopek, now you tell me of the two, which player cost the Saints dearly & who is still playing for us?

Rix was rookie listed by a club with only one ruckman and cut from their list after just one year.

Brooks was taken in the first round of the best draft ever, but to a team which already had 3 dominant ruckmen and a bunch of other backup/developing options. Brooks as a 17 year old at Port was behind Primus, Brogan, Lade, French and Ackland for a spot in the side. He really wasn't needed at Port Adelaide but they deemed that his value was too great to let slip. Then we offered pick 6 and 31 for him and they agreed to offload their 6th ruck option for a high draft pick and another middle-range pick (as any club with decent list management would).
So you agree that Brooks has cost us dearly when you throw Salopek into the equation as well. Just because a player is a high draft pick doesnt mean he will become a player, and obvously in this case, vice versa.
Lyon seems to just look for endurance and agression from a ruckman. Rix is fit and always looks angry. Brooks never had the fitness to be a number one ruckman and had no agression in his game. He doesn't have the physical capability to be a quality AFL ruckman, but he would have been a handy option up forward who could pinch-hit in the ruck.
this is the whole problem, not good enough for ruck, and with Gehrig and Watts gone he couldnt even earn a forward postion. MSG you cant take out your frustations for Brooks on Rix.
TO be honest I am annoyed that the cost and patience poured into Brooks has not paid off. Maybe if the Saints didnt draft Rix, Brooks may have had a chance, but they did and he leaped frogged over BB at the selection table, so did Clarke, and that really says something.
Rank Name Games Total
1 Michael Rix 17 206
3 Matthew Clarke 10 141
4 Jason Blake 22 79
Hey sunsaint.

Disposals - 11
Kicks - 7
Marks - 4
Hitouts - 22
Disposals - 16
Kicks - 14
Marks - 10
Hitouts - 30
Last time I looked Richards isnt playing for the Saints, and to be honest there is not a huge difference between the two apart from your perception. Although next year Richards will have to step up to no1 ruck if Fraser is used forward more.
I hope & expect Rix to improve again next year, as he has done since he moved up from the VFL, and he will have to just to get a few Saints "fans" off his back each week.

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

So you agree that Brooks has cost us dearly when you throw Salopek into the equation as well. Just because a player is a high draft pick doesnt mean he will become a player, and obvously in this case, vice versa.
this is the whole problem, not good enough for ruck, and with Gehrig and Watts gone he couldnt even earn a forward postion. MSG you cant take out your frustations for Brooks on Rix.
TO be honest I am annoyed that the cost and patience poured into Brooks has not paid off. Maybe if the Saints didnt draft Rix, Brooks may have had a chance, but they did and he leaped frogged over BB at the selection table, so did Clarke, and that really says something.
Rank Name Games Total
1 Michael Rix 17 206
3 Matthew Clarke 10 141
4 Jason Blake 22 79
Hey sunsaint.

Disposals - 11
Kicks - 7
Marks - 4
Hitouts - 22
Disposals - 16
Kicks - 14
Marks - 10
Hitouts - 30
Last time I looked Richards isnt playing for the Saints, and to be honest there is not a huge difference between the two apart from your perception. Although next year Richards will have to step up to no1 ruck if Fraser is used forward more.
I hope & expect Rix to improve again next year, as he has done since he moved up from the VFL, and he will have to just to get a few Saints "fans" off his back each week.

Seeya
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:Last time I looked Richards isnt playing for the Saints, and to be honest there is not a huge difference between the two apart from your perception. Although next year Richards will have to step up to no1 ruck if Fraser is used forward more.
Richards has been delisted.

He plyed better football than Rix, is younger than Rix and they have no ruck depth. Yet they deemed that his level of performance isn't good enough for AFL football.

What does that say about Rix?

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

FFS Richards, Brooks and Rix are SH*T get over it !!!!

Brooks isn't even a St Kilda listed player MSG so stop going on and saying how good he is.

If he was any good we wouldn't have delisted him !!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:FFS Richards, Brooks and Rix are SH*T get over it !!!!

Brooks isn't even a St Kilda listed player MSG so stop going on and saying how good he is.

If he was any good we wouldn't have delisted him !!
exactly.

We can only hope Gardiner is not a cripple next year and/or Stephen King is fit.....if both of them are stuffed we are rooted....Kosi back in the ruck and Roo at FF!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
sunsaint wrote:Last time I looked Richards isnt playing for the Saints, and to be honest there is not a huge difference between the two apart from your perception. Although next year Richards will have to step up to no1 ruck if Fraser is used forward more.
Richards has been delisted.
He plyed better football than Rix, is younger than Rix and they have no ruck depth. Yet they deemed that his level of performance isn't good enough for AFL football.
What does that say about Rix?
You make me laugh MSG

Ummm obviously Rix is held in higher regard than Richards
and sorry I should have checked the delistings list.

Seeya
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:Ummm obviously Rix is held in higher regard than Richards
I'll leave the topic now, but surely you can see that the fact that a younger ruckman who performed better than Rix has been delisted indicates that Rix just isn't worth a spot on the list? Collingwood have Fraser (a 202cm flanker), Wood (might be good in 3-4 years time) and Bryan (Cain Ackland clone) and they deemed that Richards was the worst of the lot. Meanwhile we hold onto a guy who is older, shorter, is less effective in the ruck and gets less of the ball. Do you not find that a tiny bit concerning?