McQualter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

do we insist on rookie listing every player we or any other club delist? if it was up to some people, we would have a playing list of 30 and rookie list of 204 :roll: :roll:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
karnak
Club Player

Great work Fonz!!

and for an effort like that i reckon you should be put on the rookie list!

:P

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Mini will be redrafted, if he is not picked up by another club.
No way we are going to pay out his contract, if he's not picked up.

He has had plenty of opportunity and not measured up.
Was given the option of being a tagger and didn't like it.

Maybe this is the kick up the arse he needs.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

That would mean we would waste two draft picks on him!

He's simply not up to it... it's the cold hard truth.

What this does suggest is that we will either take a delisted player (not Mini) late in the National Draft (our 4th pick) or the PSD.

The plot thickens.......

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:always looked like he was dancing around the pack. GIRL
You're kidding right?

Have you ever actually seen Mini play?

7 clearances against West Coast at Subi in his first game. Yeah thats soft innit.
Small and skinny - yes - but tough as nails.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:7 clearances against West Coast at Subi in his first game. Yeah thats soft innit.
Small and skinny - yes - but tough as nails.
Yep.

16 possessions, and 5 tackles in his debut as a 19 year old (weighing about 70kg), which happened to be against West Coast at Subi.

He was played as an attacking inside midfielder and that is how it should have stayed.

He was too small in 2005 but had great endurance. In 2006 he tried to bulk up too quickly and lost his endurance. This year he was played as a tagger and lost all confidence in himself.

If Mini was just given a few years to bulk up at a steady pace (with a few tastes of senior footy) then he would have ended up being a quality midfielder in the Andrew Thompson mould. Ball-magnet, tackling-machine, wins clearances and has reliable skills.

Hopefully we re-draft him and give him another year to get his body in the right shape for AFL before we see what he can really do.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:do we insist on rookie listing every player we or any other club delist? if it was up to some people, we would have a playing list of 30 and rookie list of 204 :roll: :roll:
Sometimes a highly rated junior like Mini was might get their act together on a last chance scenario.

I find it hard to believe someone so highly rated has no hope....

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

The expectation of 'ready-made footballer' at 17years old is what is killing these kids.

People seriously expect first or second year draftees to be up to afl standard the minute they come onto a list. IT DOESNT WORK LIKE THAT.

Not everyone is a Chris Judd or a Justin Koschitzke or a Joel Selwood and star in their first year. In fact, players like these are in the minority. That is why they are called STARS.

These kids need a good 3 years in the system. Pre-seasons, training, match conditions and then if they STILL are too skinny, or not fit enough then thats a problem.

Mini has had his training regimes chopped and changed according to who's coaching the side, so he can fill whatever holes there are. For people to expect a 19yr old to do that is unbelievable.

Same thing happened with Goddard. His first few years he was played in a number of positions. 2006 he came into his own when he was let loose across half back and allowed to train for, and play ONE POSITION. Sure he could pinch hit in the middle or rest up forward for a few minutes for rotations sake but we all knew he was a half back, and most importantly he knew his own role in the team.

I dont think Mini ever got the chance to find his own role in the side.

brewski
Club Player

Been around for a few years now, never really taken the step up, good luck to him but have to say not unhappy he has gone

Banned by the censors
savatage
SS Life Member

Not up to it. No conspiracy theories please. This is old news anyway.

midas_touch
Club Player

Gotta admit he did dramatically lose touch this year after a serviceable yet promising first two years. More of a confidence issue than anything imo. I would have rather delisted Ferguson, who has been on the list in five years and hasn't really shown anything at all since 2003 when he did play a few good games. I also cant really understand the love affair with Ferguson that is seemingly apparent amongst these forums.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Too small too slow can't kick the ball over 40 mts.

Plenty of endeavour but that is it!

The biggest disappointment is we wasted a valuable first round pick on an undersized slow midfielder.

This example highlights how our drafting has been very ordinary since we lost the luxury of the prized picks our ineptitude afforded us in the drafts of 2000, 2001 & 2002.

Somone may rookie him, but I doubt they'd use a pick on him.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
killa_gram
Club Player

Mini wasn't up to it, however, we could have kept him for another year to mentor Fizz on what hardness and having a ticker is all about. :wink:

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes lets keep all the Fringe Players

Why stop at delisting them?? Lets get Ackland back for the ruck...Troy for FB....McGough for the centre....

Lets just accept that some players get their chance but are not good enough.......they may or may come good later but did not take their opportunity....for whatever the reason.

AFL is a ruthless and competitive business and we can only havea very limited number of players on our list....players need to be tried and tested...and if found wanting moved on.....so that others can be tried and tested.

"Such is life"....as Ben might say!!

This is both good for them....and good for the Saints.

Mini and Brooks both being delisted may give them a chance at another club....they were going no where at the Saints. a new environment and coach....and ATTITUDE and DESIRe may seem them prosper.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

ok but why keep CJ, who in the seniors would have to be on the least skilled 23 year old in the league.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Dan Warna wrote:ok but why keep CJ, who in the seniors would have to be on the least skilled 23 year old in the league.
As little as I like the decision I imagine it's because with CJ, you know that if he can improve, he will, he's hungry. With Mini, we'd still be hankering after potential.

Given what I've seen of Jones, I'd have hankered after the potential for another 12 months, but given where I see them on the list, regard the choice as unimportant unless Mini turns it on at another club, which I can't say I think is all that likely.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
HarveysDeciple

n1ck wrote:The expectation of 'ready-made footballer' at 17years old is what is killing these kids.

People seriously expect first or second year draftees to be up to afl standard the minute they come onto a list. IT DOESNT WORK LIKE THAT.

Not everyone is a Chris Judd or a Justin Koschitzke or a Joel Selwood and star in their first year. In fact, players like these are in the minority. That is why they are called STARS.

These kids need a good 3 years in the system. Pre-seasons, training, match conditions and then if they STILL are too skinny, or not fit enough then thats a problem.

Mini has had his training regimes chopped and changed according to who's coaching the side, so he can fill whatever holes there are. For people to expect a 19yr old to do that is unbelievable.

Same thing happened with Goddard. His first few years he was played in a number of positions. 2006 he came into his own when he was let loose across half back and allowed to train for, and play ONE POSITION. Sure he could pinch hit in the middle or rest up forward for a few minutes for rotations sake but we all knew he was a half back, and most importantly he knew his own role in the team.

I dont think Mini ever got the chance to find his own role in the side.
thats spot on mate.

Mini went backwards in 2007, but I think his confidence was very very low and that hurt him due to his role getting changed around a bit.
Was a bit small, but I always thought he showed slightly more at AFL level then VFL level....(some may argue).

Thommo we must remember wasn't a ready made top line footballer until he was 24 or 25.

congorozides
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Seriously, the hit and misses from the last four drafts has been woeful.

What are those monkeys getting paid for?
Agree - apart from gilbert the last 5 years have been a waste of time on the development front.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Sam Fisher?

Barney2
Club Player

RL wants pace. Simple. Get it???
Feguson is OK. He is a steady player. CJ has only one side to his game. CAnt kick on his other side. Does U turns. Maqualter I belive is still on list die to contract, Can anyone confirm he has been delisted? He is an in and under player and deserves more of a chance.
As sopmeone said before, RL knows what it takes to win a flag. Who would of thought Sydney would win it in 05??

congorozides
Club Player

n1ck wrote:Sam Fisher?
recruited 2003. so yep. fair point. thats 2 players in 5 years then. still not real flash.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I never rated McQualter.

Not surprised he's been cut.

Too small for his pace.

Too slow for his height.

Skills not good enough to compensate for the above.

Didn't win enough of the ball to compensate for all of the above.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

and the coach didn't rate him......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

And he showed nothing in the VFL this year to suggest the coach should have rated him.

Good luck to him though - hope he gets another crack.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:How the heck can Watts and McQualter be delisted...

...yet Ferguson and C Jones stay on the list?

Anyone?

Got a feeling RL loves his favourites...
Probably didn't want more than 10 players chopped in one year.....although I see your point and do agree.