The Kid They Called Rocky - My Story On Nathan Burke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

The Kid They Called Rocky - My Story On Nathan Burke

Earlier this week I was blessed with the privlage of meeting and interviewing Nathan Burke. He was an extremely nice guy and he answers all my questions very thoroughly.

My interview consistented mainly of questions about how the game has changed since he started playing VFL twenty years ago but I also explored other topics.

If anyone would like Nathan's noted answers from the interview just let me know.

So here's the article. I'm open to critisism but do try and enjoy it :) Also if there are any grammatical errors let me know.

*If the text is to small to read scroll down to the next post and read the plain text there*

Cheers and enjoy!

Image Image

Image Image
Last edited by SaintBot on Wed 07 Nov 2007 6:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

If the above is too hard to read then here is just the text:

Nathan Burke’s first memory of joining the St Kilda Football Club’s senior side in a training session explains where he got his in-club nickname. “Geoff Cunningham thought my name was Rocky instead of Burkey and I was too shy to go up and tell him so that became my new nickname all of a sudden,â€

stinger
Saintsational Legend

great read...thanks for that..... :wink: :lol:

"There will always be bad trans such as excessive flooding but overall it has been good. People talk about the good old days but we had some shocking games back then but there only used to be two or three games of footy on TV so you often didn’t see the bad ones.â€
Last edited by stinger on Wed 07 Nov 2007 6:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

good bot i remember you telling me you were doing this and was looking forward to the result.

as a side not, i played half of my junior footy at ycw who burkey played his first game against.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

[quote="stinger"]great read...thanks for that..... :wink: :lol:

"There will always be bad trans such as excessive flooding but overall it has been good. People talk about the good old days but we had some shocking games back then but there only used to be two or three games of footy on TV so you often didn’t see the bad ones.â€

Beej
Saintsational Legend

I reckon GT was spot on about Pavlich.

A lot of times I've seen him with his fists clenched after kicking a goal even though Freo were a long way behind and had zero chance of coming back - that sort of thing does my head in as a supporter.

You see it a lot with young kids early in their career, as their main goal is to obviously play well enough to stay in the side. Established club champions shouldn't be doing it, they're supposed to be hurting like the rest of us and not celebrating because they've kicked a consolation goal.

Excellent work, Bot. Very interesting stuff. :wink:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Great work SaintBoy, very good read :D

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Loved this quote:
So if we make $500,000 and win the premiership then that’s better than making a million dollars and missing out

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Terrific work SaintBot, and you were very lucky to speak to Burkey in that manner.

Well-written too ...

Did he say anything interesting that didn't go to print? :)

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Nice work Champ, a very good read. Thanks

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Terrific work SaintBot, and you were very lucky to speak to Burkey in that manner.

Well-written too ...

Did he say anything interesting that didn't go to print? :)
from memory as i was leaving i asked him how effective he thought David Misson will be

he said something along the lines of the job David was doing wasnt going to produce results overnight but after his first preseason then the team should start benefiting from his expertise.

ill go back through the badly recorded tape and see if there was anything else

HarveysDeciple

OLB wrote:I reckon GT was spot on about Pavlich.

A lot of times I've seen him with his fists clenched after kicking a goal even though Freo were a long way behind and had zero chance of coming back - that sort of thing does my head in as a supporter.

You see it a lot with young kids early in their career, as their main goal is to obviously play well enough to stay in the side. Established club champions shouldn't be doing it, they're supposed to be hurting like the rest of us and not celebrating because they've kicked a consolation goal.

Agreed excellent work Bot!

And I agree with you too OLB, and although not in the same class, Kayne Pettifer is another one.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:
OLB wrote:I reckon GT was spot on about Pavlich.

Agreed excellent work Bot!

And I agree with you too OLB, and although not in the same class, Kayne Pettifer is another one.
Yeah Pettifer was the first one that came to mind, says alot about Roo doesn't it, you can see the pain on his face when we're down.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Do you genuinely want comments SaintBot?

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Ha ha ... big question from Riewoldting.

I've seen him tear such articles to shreds in a grammatical sense. It's something to behold.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:Ha ha ... big question from Riewoldting.

I've seen him tear such articles to shreds in a grammatical sense. It's something to behold.
That's different, that was a troll, not a good young St Kilda lad :)

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:Do you genuinely want comments SaintBot?
sure...why not :twisted:

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

You want a PM?

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:You want a PM?
sure

F_Q_F
Club Player

Was a good read Bot. Well done, glad to see Burkey taking the time to do this sort of stuff. Seems like a great man to have around the club for all the younger guys and fans.

HarveysDeciple

F_Q_F wrote:Was a good read Bot. Well done, glad to see Burkey taking the time to do this sort of stuff. Seems like a great man to have around the club for all the younger guys and fans.
Exactly.

I was lucky enough to score an interview with him in the first year of my uni course back in 2004 and he was very open with his answers and gave me as much time as I wanted (especially good given it was Prelim final week.)

Very good bloke.

linz
Club Player

Great read StBot. I've got Burkey's 300th Jumper proudly mounted on my wall. (maybe 50 others do too :shock: :shock: :shock:) He may not have been the most talented; but he was certainly one of our most determined players who would never give up. Great to have him on (THE) board.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Good stuff St.Bot....one of the better footy articles I've read this year.

Couple of typos..."...they're are..." appears somewhere in the middle....give a couple of proof reads. Well Done B+.

Nee!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Nicely done Bot, as others have mentioned, a few typos, but once they're fixed you should think about sending it in to saints.com.au.

mischa
Club Player

Good article. Love Burkie and my estimation of him has happily gone up now that he has welcomed GT back to the club :) The sort of things done to the latter were the verbal equivalent of Abu Graihb.