Foxtell Worth It?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St George
Club Player

Foxtell Worth It?

I'm seriously considering signing up for Foxtell - mainly for AFL, but also for other channels of interest. Any opinions would be appreciated, like how many Saints games not on free-to-air may be on Foxtell in 2008. Thanks.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

if it is not on FTA it should be on foxtel

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i wouldn't have got it if it wasn't for the fact that i am also a big fan of the english premier league soccer. To get it just for the footy would be silly as it is only on for half the year and no football is shown in the off season on the sports channels.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Probably not, there isn't a lot of quality on there...
And St.Kilda will only be on Fox a few times a year so it's probably not worth it at all.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

It's a personal decision, what some think is value others may not. If it helps at all, I have just cancelled it after having Foxtel for probably 5 years. We had the Platinum package, but still had no real value in it for me other than Saints games that weren't FTA. Will go to the social club if the big screen comes back, or go to the local pub if not.

the problem as I see it with Foxtel is that there is so much that I would classify as "filler". So there are some great shows on, but the amount of gems amongst the swill really represents poor value to my way of thinking.
Plus with only FTA TV in the house it gets the kids out from in front of the TV a lot easier.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

it's worth every penny mate....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Depends on what you want it for.

I have it mainly for the AFL, EPL and A League (not on FTA) and Rugby League (rarely on 9 :evil: ). There are also some good docos on Crime Investigatio and History that I like. And ANTM is about to start again! :wink:

But by and large, its not that essential, most nights I find myself watching a DVD.

PLUGGER14
Club Player

As far as watching footy in Qld it is essential!

The watching of reruns of old sitcoms rather than watching the reality crapola on FTA is a bonus in the off season.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:if it is not on FTA it should be on foxtel
unless your in perth and the eagles or dockers game is the foxtel game then you get that game on both FTA and fox and the saints game is not shown at all :twisted:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:it's worth every penny mate....
yup!
i never watch normal tv any more!
only for news, footy and the funny ch2 shows!

buy it!
fox8 is awesome
foxsport 1-2-3
abc2
movie 1-2-3

ITS ALL AWESOME!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

its funny in india you actuallyu buy the TV from the provider and while i was there they had a promotion on that the size of the tv you got the size of the discount for the years subscription eg 42" tv got you 42% off the subscription 96 " got you 96% off !!! i did wonder what happened if you got a 110" would they pay you for the subscription :roll: :oops: :lol: :lol:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

For me (family of 5 with 3 children) it is now a marginal proposition....

When it fitrst started you got a lot more in a standard package for less cost...ie The 2 Mian Movie Channels had the best movies on them, but now it is an extra and the best movies are on Movie 1`/2 for an extra cost beyonf the basic movie option.

AFL wise Fox Footy as a 24/7 channel was fantastic......every game every week plus great shows like White Line Fever.

Now AFL is just part of what is on the Fox Sports Channels with a lot less on offer. The main benefit is watching the Saints live when they are not on free to air.

If I did not have 3 kids then for me it would definately not be worth it......and to be honest if it was not for AFL I probably would have canned it this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
F_Q_F
Club Player

I have foxtel, be warned it is the greatest procrastination tool ever invented.
Miami Ink and Fox Sports News are the best channels.
For the AFL season its good because you can watch, I think its 4, games without ads live, plus the other shows like On the Couch, The Winners and White Line Fever.
Worth it in my opinion, especially if you love your sport (and other random things like the Great American BBQ challenge etc. :P )

saintfreddy
Club Player

I am amazed how many sports (other than footy) Foxtel covers. It's great watching Australia play cricket overseas in the off season, occassionally watch some domestic cricket and certainly enjoy watching Rugby League which Channel nine is hopeless with.

When I watch T.V. probably 90% of the time it is Foxtel. They have some fantastic re-runs that I love ie Beverly Hillbillies, The Munsters, etc.

I tend to think the over riding factor is simply; can you afford it?

asiu

its crap ...

without fox footy it really is crap

piss poor telly reception and two kids ....thats the only reason i keep paying the bills

wildgoose
Club Player

Its fantastic, when you get Fox, you can say goodbye to normal TV. I just watch it for sport mostly, footy, soccer, cricket and tennis, its brilliant.

And hack pup is out again, bowled without troubling the scorers.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i probably would have got foxtel a couple of years ago but it's not available where i live

so i shelled out for good broadband instead and have found that you can get almost anything you want on the web in the way of video content, including the latest movies, tv that hasn't shown in australia yet, and as many documentaries as you want to watch.

granted, the quality's not great yet ... and you can't get live footy ... yet ... but i sincerely believe that video on demand via the web is the way of the future and ultimately will make pay tv take a back seat.

the internet feaks me out. i like being able to watch what i want when i want

saint_mite
SS Hall of Fame

In a footy perspective, it really isn't as good as it used to be, but for general entertainment purposes it is great. A lot of shows are on it that you don't see on free to air, as someone said miami ink, entourage, ... and well heaps more. The food channels are always good to waste time, as well as leaving one of the music channels on when cleaning. There is generally a channel to suit everybody, and if you opt to go with IQ, there are even more benefits.
As good as ripping shows off the internet is, I always tend to go for certain shows. flicking through channels invites me to see more then I would usually look at.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:its crap ...

without fox footy it really is crap

piss poor telly reception and two kids ....thats the only reason i keep paying the bills
you don't need foxtel to get better telly reception - unless you get your foxtel through a dish not cable.

just buy a SD or HD set top box for diddle squat instead, and you'll get ABC2 plus all the new digital FTA channels on 7, 9 and 10 coming out in the next month for nothing!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Up here in QLD Austar was on 24x7
Loved White Line Fever, and the occasional classic quarter was worth the price. The rest of the chanels? "Australia's Next Top Model" and more of the same, if you like old US sitcoms then get it.

In their wisdom Foxtel dropped the Footy chanel so we dropped them even quicker.
Also I used to get really pissed when a rain cloud passed overhead and transmission dropped out (only applicable to dish reception) Dont know how many recordings got trashed because of a blank error screen for ten minutes.

The improvement in FTA on 7/10 is much better than in the past, to the extent that I only missed a handful of games in 2007. Wont be coming back to pay unless they bring back the dedicated AFL chanel simple as that.

Seeya
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Definitely.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Foxtel is crap unless you can't get to games, then it's worth its weight in gold.

Also great for NFL.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Beej
Saintsational Legend

You know those times when you turn on the tv and you can't find anything decent to watch?

Won't happen ever again with Foxtel IQ.

That's worth $2 a day if you ask me.

luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

THe Only reason I'd bother with foxtel is for the sport and for music channels like MTV, Channel V, MAX etc... but even they seemed to be full of ads anyway, so I'll just stick to my FTA and video hits and JTV!

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I heart my foxtel iq.