St Kilda on the move ....To Frankston

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

n1ck wrote:Cant pretend that im happy about this move.

May be a great facility but its a bloody long way away. We're not the Bayside Saints. We're not the Peninsula Saints. We are St.Kilda.

Surely there must have been something closer to central Melbourne.

God I hate Kingston Council.
We are not the Moorabbin Saints either! But that apparently hasn't been a problem when it wasn't an inconvenience to you. Think you'll find that Frankston is a lot easier to get to for the huge amount of those living in the massive growth area of Berwick, Narre Warren, Cranbourne and on the Peninsula.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

For the club, probably a good move. Fact that a board change wasn't enough to work out a deal with Kingston probably says a lot about the council.

For me personally a pain in the perverbial - just moved to the area. My partner is livid, threatening not to renew her membership (she's not a Saints fan), though I suspect she'll come round since coming on here was first i heard it happens in '09 and not immediately.

I'll be interested to find out what's happening with the social club, was planning on joining this year, now I'm less sure.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

May be a great facility but its a bloody long way away. We're not the Bayside Saints. We're not the Peninsula Saints. We are St.Kilda.

We are not the Moorabbin Saints either! But that apparently hasn't been a problem when it wasn't an inconvenience to you. Think you'll find that Frankston is a lot easier to get to for the huge amount of those living in the massive growth area of Berwick, Narre Warren, Cranbourne and on the Peninsula.
No, we werent the Moorabbin Saints, but we were in the general area. We were in the suburbs of Melbourne, close to the massive general population in Brighton, Mckinnon, Caulfield, Bentleigh, Ormond, Malvern and of course, St.Kilda.

You talk about it being easier for the huge amount of those living in the massive growth area. What about the huge amount of already established supporters in the inner city suburbs? What about the huge amount of fans who have pledged hundreds of thousands of dollars to the club over alot of years - who have been snubbed for 'potential' fans?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
True Believer wrote:

No, we werent the Moorabbin Saints, but we were in the general area. We were in the suburbs of Melbourne, close to the massive general population in Brighton, Mckinnon, Caulfield, Bentleigh, Ormond, Malvern and of course, St.Kilda.

You talk about it being easier for the huge amount of those living in the massive growth area. What about the huge amount of already established supporters in the inner city suburbs? What about the huge amount of fans who have pledged hundreds of thousands of dollars to the club over alot of years - who have been snubbed for 'potential' fans?
i felt that way when we moved to waverley.

shortly after we bought a house in noble park they moved to the CBD ><

I was sort of looking forward to walking to the footy.

I was glad that our 'home' was still moorabin because thats all I've really known.

IMO having dealt with kingston as many have, they are not the easiest council to deal with.

I made these points when RB was negotiating with them.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Don't see how they have been snubbed n1ck. The facility at Frankston will be mainly for the players and staff of the club.

The only major inconvenience would be watching training, but it's a 25min drive from Moorabbin.

At the end of the day, wherever the club is located will cause discontent amongst people from other areas.

That discontent disappears after a few years and people adjust.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

If Ross Lyon has his way, no one will ever be able to watch training regardless of where we're based so it really doesn't impact supporters.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

N1ck. What about the "snubbed fans" in the Frankston region. You'll find lots of membership stickers on bumper bars in the area, so clearly lots of those people have pledged lots of money over the years.

Personally, I live in Mornington, and have driven to Moorabbin to purchase merchandise so that the club benefits. I have been a member for years, and resent the idea that the future of the club should not include anything that is an inconvenience to those apparently pampered and overly sensitive people living in the innner suburbs and immediate surrounds of the ground. I am sure there are very few people who elected to live in a particular area simply because of the convenient proximity of Linton St., so why the drama when it is to be relocated? The same old story - everyone wants the convenience of a bus stop outside the front door, but not the inconvenience of a bus route down their street.

If the Saints move (as they are doing now) they will be closer to some and further from others. End of story. Just be thankful that a little inconvenience can help secure a future and avoid the move being to the Gold Coast instead. I guarantee that Surfers is more than an extra 30 minutes from your house.

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:If Ross Lyon has his way, no one will ever be able to watch training regardless of where we're based so it really doesn't impact supporters.
That was a mistake on the part of the club's staff - the majority of training is open this pre-season

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
spert
Saintsational Legend

We'll get used to it and at least Frankston has shown some forward thinking in getting a high-profile sporting identity into their city as opposed to poor old Kingston...our old Moorabbin ground is a shambles and as far as I'm concerned it lost it's magic years ago. Should be good to have the one big area focussed on the Saints.

Saint Mik
Club Player

Who gives a toss where we train, as long as it gives us an opportunity to develope a better football side i'm happy.

Frankston is a long way from the CBD so i hope that they get a social club up and running somewhere close to St Kilda itself.

Moorabbin was a shyte hole anyway in the middle of retired oldies living out there days drinking teas and complaining about everything the saints would want to do anyway, so to be down on the water in a new facility can only be a good thing IMO.

Hope the players feel the same way :shock:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:Who gives a toss where we train, as long as it gives us an opportunity to develope a better football side i'm happy.

Frankston is a long way from the CBD so i hope that they get a social club up and running somewhere close to St Kilda itself.

Moorabbin was a shyte hole anyway in the middle of retired oldies living out there days drinking teas and complaining about everything the saints would want to do anyway, so to be down on the water in a new facility can only be a good thing IMO.

Hope the players feel the same way :shock:
strange thing the report on SEN.......social club and pokies to remain at Moorabbin...........

In the same condition??

saint4life
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote: i felt that way when we moved to waverley.

shortly after we bought a house in noble park they moved to the CBD ><

I was sort of looking forward to walking to the footy.
Talking of Waverley ....The ground itself looks to be in fantastic condition.
A relation has one of the new town houses overlooking the oval where you can sit on the balcony and watch the players training as close as 5-10m away.
I was at a function at the weekend in the Stadium Bar which also looks out onto the oval.....Kept thinking though that the Hawks could never have a truly closed session at Waverley never mind trying to ban photographs from people living in the new houses surrounding the oval.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:well given two boards couldn't come to an agreement, its clearly falls on the failure of kingston council.

my own limited experience with them is very poor.

they are dogmatic bullys.

Im glad st kilda didn't buckle to them, however dissappointed we are moving to frankston.

I would have prefered casey for purely selfish reasons, my first choice is obviously moorabin, however if st kilda win out of this it can only be good.

kingston lose the opportunity to have a club/council/government funded A class community centre, gymnasium and sports oval.

losers = everyone except st kilda and frankston
yeah..what he said.

Its a shame that we cant stay at moorabbin.

Strange how two boards couldnt agree with Kingston council....

:roll:

As long as we finally have the best facilities...competitive facilities, I'm happy. Thats all that really matters. I really coulndnt give a toss how long it takes everyone on here to make it to training.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
docsaint
Club Player

I live in Aspendale so the travel time is irrelevant for me because I think it splits the 2 areas almost exactly. Personally I think it's a great move. You only have to look at the effort Frankston Council is going to to develop the foreshore and shopping precint, and then compare it to the dump that is the Moorabbin area, to know where the club would most benefit. The ground itself is a fantastic ground although on the narrow side, and I could see no scope for development into a "boutique stadium" which could be used for AFL games against interstate teams, as was touted re Casey.

I have lived in the area all my life. If you think it is all bogans and druggies try to buy beachside and see what you get for your money. Beachfront will set you back 2-3 mil, anything else reasonable not beachfront 1 mill +.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Does this mean we will get matching Red white and Black Flanny and moccys in our membership packs now? With an additinal bonus of winnie reds to put in our pockets? :wink:

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
BelfastSaint
Club Player

http://www.saints.com.au/Season2007/New ... wsId=53412

"The decision, which means the Club obtains freehold title to the facility ,is a win for both the St Kilda Football Club and the wider Frankston, Mornington Peninsula and surrounding communities which will significantly benefit from the use of the facilities and the expansion of St Kilda's community activities."

For someone more knowledgable ...What are the benefits of owning the freehold title.

brewski
Club Player

F*&k now i cant bag Collingwood supporters anymore, i am already getting text messages like welcome to Feralston

So much for a transparent new board keeping members in the loop, more secrets then the kgb this mob would have been nice if they put it out there, now they have alienated most of Melbourne based fans by moving us to the sticks so we can become the mirror to the west side bumkins.

feels like this could be the beginning of us losing our identity and attachment to StKilda

I think the whole idea is great but the location sux, agree with some others on here that the travel will put some players off and prevent others from wanting to join the club some people say 20 min drive from Moorabbin, yeah right at 2am maybe but throw in a bit of traffic and its a prick of a place to get to, surely we could have got somewhere closer to StKilda.

I hope they put the Social club close to the city because you can talk growth belts crap all you want but we still have a hell of a lot of members/fans in Melbourne City, North, East and West

Banned by the censors
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Half of the Geelong side live in Melbourne, and it's not an issue for them.

The players will easily come around. No issue there IMO. Plus it's bigger than them anyway.

What is on offer is too good to refuse IMO from reading the official release, and Frankston is a damn sight better than Casey, which was the alternative.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

Why not have club investments like pubs with social facilties in more than one location? Inner and outer suburbs based.

I know, why not have one at the end of every street so then no-one will have to whine about having to drag their sorry ass more than 10 minutes down the street.

Honestly, how molly-coddled and soft are city based Aussies becoming. "Ooh, I have to drive for 35 minutes, that's too hard."

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:http://www.saints.com.au/Season2007/New ... wsId=53412

"The decision, which means the Club obtains freehold title to the facility ,is a win for both the St Kilda Football Club and the wider Frankston, Mornington Peninsula and surrounding communities which will significantly benefit from the use of the facilities and the expansion of St Kilda's community activities."

For someone more knowledgable ...What are the benefits of owning the freehold title.

posted it here

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=38450

means we own it :D

bigmicka
Club Player

If you live in Kingston you can blame this bloke.

Cr Greg Alabaster

"In 1993, Greg and a number of residents formed the Moorabbin Urban Forest Group that has been active for 13 years in landscaping and beautifying the Moorabbin Reserve/St Kilda Football ground area."

"His interests include the preservation and enhancement of parks, open space and remnant and natural areas, better planning to reflect community expectations and provision of appropriate community services and facilities."

The biggest load af crap I have read.

The only park he has saved is a car park. Pretty hard to have open spaces when everything is surrounded by houses. Where is that national park near Moorabbin again?

Provision of community services and facilities? Yeh they need a car park and a rundown stadium more than a community centre.

Thanks to Greg these buildings will be left to decay even further. When our lease is up you can gaurentee he will be one of the first investors trying to buy the land.

Greg is an A-class knob jockey, he and Topsy Turvy have alot to answer for. Come on constituents vote those morons out, at the next election.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

For pharks sake! All you lot whinging about transparency & the inconvenience of having to travel an extra 20 minutes should take a step back & look at the big picture.

Why has the club been planning a redevelopment at Moorabbin? Because of the rubbish training facilities! Not so it will make watching training a more pleasant experience! It is all about on field success & having the very best opportunity to get our players as fit & healthy as possible.

If any of you have had a look through the Lexus Centre you will know the disparity in preparation, rehabilitation and overall training facilities. Collingwood have a huge advantage over other clubs with less than state of the art training centres.

Kingston Council have been belligerent about the Moorabbin development from the start. It serves them right to miss out on such a great community asset. Hopefully the residents of Kingston will kick them out on the bloating self serving bums at the next election.

As for the travel times, well I live in the North Eastern suburbs (Rosanna) & have never had a problem with getting to Moorabbin when needed. Frankston is a bit further but would really worry me.

The main thing is that our club will finally have a facility to compete with all other clubs. The players will benefit hugely and that will translate on field.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

bigmicka wrote:If you live in Kingston you can blame this bloke.

Cr Greg Alabaster

"In 1993, Greg and a number of residents formed the Moorabbin Urban Forest Group that has been active for 13 years in landscaping and beautifying the Moorabbin Reserve/St Kilda Football ground area."

"His interests include the preservation and enhancement of parks, open space and remnant and natural areas, better planning to reflect community expectations and provision of appropriate community services and facilities."

The biggest load af crap I have read.

The only park he has saved is a car park. Pretty hard to have open spaces when everything is surrounded by houses. Where is that national park near Moorabbin again?

Provision of community services and facilities? Yeh they need a car park and a rundown stadium more than a community centre.

Thanks to Greg these buildings will be left to decay even further. When our lease is up you can gaurentee he will be one of the first investors trying to buy the land.

Greg is an A-class knob jockey, he and Topsy Turvy have alot to answer for. Come on constituents vote those morons out, at the next election.

mic

I firmly believe this bloke thought that by making us go on our way that we would relinquish the 30 year lease we had. Will be very very very disappointed when the saints lock everything up for 30years and no additional parkland for 30 years and the social club still there for 30 years. In the end by getting what he wanted he's guareenteed not to get it for thirty years.

yipper
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:For pharks sake! All you lot whinging about transparency & the inconvenience of having to travel an extra 20 minutes should take a step back & look at the big picture.

Why has the club been planning a redevelopment at Moorabbin? Because of the rubbish training facilities! Not so it will make watching training a more pleasant experience! It is all about on field success & having the very best opportunity to get our players as fit & healthy as possible.

If any of you have had a look through the Lexus Centre you will know the disparity in preparation, rehabilitation and overall training facilities. Collingwood have a huge advantage over other clubs with less than state of the art training centres.

Kingston Council have been belligerent about the Moorabbin development from the start. It serves them right to miss out on such a great community asset. Hopefully the residents of Kingston will kick them out on the bloating self serving bums at the next election.

As for the travel times, well I live in the North Eastern suburbs (Rosanna) & have never had a problem with getting to Moorabbin when needed. Frankston is a bit further but would really worry me.

The main thing is that our club will finally have a facility to compete with all other clubs. The players will benefit hugely and that will translate on field.
Exactly - well put. Huge opportunity for the Saints in this move.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Glad a decision has finally been made, the other upside is that the Saints are only committing $1.25M rather than about $2.5M under the Moorabbin redevelopment proposal.

Frangga will be less bonganish with the rising property values around the peninsula, plus it's quite close to Mount Martha, Mount Eliza and Mornington, which are quite good places to live if the players want to move out that way.

I have one question - if the project blows out beyond $10.25M, is the extra funding coming from where? Is it proportionally divided up amongst all stakeholders, or only some??