Interest in Justin Sweeney

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

riktor
Club Player

Interest in Justin Sweeney

I heard from a very good source that Justin Sweeney, who was delisted by the saints after leading the goal kicking at the scorps the last two years will be snapped up in the draft. Two clubs in particular are very impressed with his ability to kick goals and strong marking. One of the clubs is an interstate team, the other is Geelong. They must think highly of him, because that is a very strong forward line and Hawkins will play the whole year one would think.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

good luck to him if he does get picked up its a shame he couldnt crack into the senior side from reports he was quite handy in the scorps

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I liked him in his one game for us......but from the gossip he needed to improve his attitide and committment.

If true, being delisted may give him a wake up call..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
riktor
Club Player

Appharently he has been training 6 days a week since he was delisted and has put on 4kg of muscle.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interest in Justin Sweeney

riktor wrote:I heard from a very good source that Justin Sweeney, who was delisted by the saints after leading the goal kicking at the scorps the last two years will be snapped up in the draft. Two clubs in particular are very impressed with his ability to kick goals and strong marking. One of the clubs is an interstate team, the other is Geelong. They must think highly of him, because that is a very strong forward line and Hawkins will play the whole year one would think.
interesting, thx for the info.

Can you also if possible find out why we weren't able to trade him to an interstate side and get something in return??

Dunno if he had any real trade value......interesting you mention Geelong - surely we could've given him to the Cats as a thankyou for the very fair deal we got for King and Gardiner, considering we didn't in the end get anything for him???

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

riktor wrote: One of the clubs is an interstate team, the other is Geelong. .
i hope he moves house then..will struggle to drive to geelong with no license

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
GrumpyOne

fonz_#15 wrote:
:wink: 8-) :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:

Did that just happen. Saw him 4 weeks ago and he was driving.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

riktor wrote:Appharently he has been training 6 days a week since he was delisted and has put on 4kg of muscle.
Well that makes me think why couldn't he do that when he was with us.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:

Did that just happen. Saw him 4 weeks ago and he was driving.
is recent, yes. i think he was caught for driving without his license as wel which means he may be off our roads for a while

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He definitely has the ability and size to be an AFL player, but I suppose if he still hasn't got his head together after two years in the system then his delisting might have been warranted.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I liked his attack on the ball/player with the ball and was surprised he didnt get more of a run.....more "reputations" have got more of a go than sweeney IMO.....(big hello to Raph also...)

“Yeah….nah””
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:I liked his attack on the ball/player with the ball and was surprised he didnt get more of a run.....more "reputations" have got more of a go than sweeney IMO.....(big hello to Raph also...)
agree teflon but what do you do

supersaints
Club Player

Personally I think he has a lot of ability and I don't think he was given a go. I hope he does succeed wherever he goes. Sometimes clubs just get it wrong. Jason Attard was dumped from Brisbane after two years and only five games, then ended up playing twenty games straight with the Saints and I know that the Brisbane list is not a strong as the Saints. I am hopeful we may put him back on the list if we don't fill it with Rookies.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Personally I think he has a lot of ability and I don't think he was given a go. I hope he does succeed wherever he goes. Sometimes clubs just get it wrong. Jason Attard was dumped from Brisbane after two years and only five games, then ended up playing twenty games straight with the Saints and I know that the Brisbane list is not a strong as the Saints. I am hopeful we may put him back on the list if we don't fill it with Rookies.
i think bris has a pretty strong list at the moment the forward line is menacing the mids have class and the back line looks to be getting solid mark my words we have to win a flag soon cause the brissy era is about to fire up in the next few years

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

supersaints
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
supersaints wrote:Personally I think he has a lot of ability and I don't think he was given a go. I hope he does succeed wherever he goes. Sometimes clubs just get it wrong. Jason Attard was dumped from Brisbane after two years and only five games, then ended up playing twenty games straight with the Saints and I know that the Brisbane list is not a strong as the Saints. I am hopeful we may put him back on the list if we don't fill it with Rookies.
i think bris has a pretty strong list at the moment the forward line is menacing the mids have class and the back line looks to be getting solid mark my words we have to win a flag soon cause the brissy era is about to fire up in the next few years
I'm not saying Brisbane are not improving but Brisbane finished 11th and 13th on the ladder the two seasons that Attard played the five games for them. The saints were top four material, seems funny he could not crack a game during Brisbanes rebuilding period but managed to play 20 straight with a top four side the next year????. If Brisbane are right and think he can't maintain a regular game and we think he deserves 20 straight we may be in big trouble

Go Sainters !!!!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

some time a differant team can do that its about needs to the team think Grammy couldnt get a game there and hes in our top 10 players

see rodan not wanted by the tigs and played in the g/f team

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:If Brisbane are right and think he can't maintain a regular game and we think he deserves 20 straight we may be in big trouble
That comes down to the coach more than anything. Lyon rates fit, disciplined players with pace. Matthews rates highly skilled, well-built players with agression.

Attard's poor skills and lack of ball-winning meant that Matthews wouldn't play him. Attard's fitness and discipline means than Lyon absolutely loves him.

supersaints
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
supersaints wrote:If Brisbane are right and think he can't maintain a regular game and we think he deserves 20 straight we may be in big trouble
That comes down to the coach more than anything. Lyon rates fit, disciplined players with pace. Matthews rates highly skilled, well-built players with agression.

Attard's poor skills and lack of ball-winning meant that Matthews wouldn't play him. Attard's fitness and discipline means than Lyon absolutely loves him.

Okay humour me .....are you telling me the list below are all highly skilled well built players with agression i can see about four or five....

Jed Adcock
Colm Begley
Simon Black
Daniel Bradshaw
Jared Brennan
Jonathan Brown
Jamie Charman
Mitchell Clark
Robert Copeland
Josh Drummond
Scott Harding
James Hawksley
Rhan Hooper
Travis Johnstone
Nigel Lappin
Matthew Leuenberger
Joel Macdonald
Beau McDonald
Ashley McGrath
Daniel Merrett
Wayde Mills
Matthew Moody
Tim Notting
Joel Patfull
Luke Power
Albert Proud
Michael Rischitelli
Jason Roe
Chris Schmidt
Troy Selwood
Sam Sheldon
Justin Sherman
Cheynee Stiller
Matt Tyler

Go Sainters !!!!!
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

jason attard..yeah ripper player :wink:

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Okay humour me .....are you telling me the list below are all highly skilled well built players with agression i can see about four or five....
It is the model of player that he likes. The kids they are drafting mainly fit into that category. Adcock, Clark, Proud and Sherman are the kind of kids he is after. They are damaging, strong and athletic. He doesn't have any smalls who don't get much of the ball and can't use it.

supersaints
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
supersaints wrote:Okay humour me .....are you telling me the list below are all highly skilled well built players with agression i can see about four or five....
It is the model of player that he likes. The kids they are drafting mainly fit into that category. Adcock, Clark, Proud and Sherman are the kind of kids he is after. They are damaging, strong and athletic. He doesn't have any smalls who don't get much of the ball and can't use it.
OK I will give you Addcock and Sherman ...
Clark should be good eventually he is a good grab but only averaging 9 disposals a game at the moment..
Proud looks like he may be ok but has a long, long way to go - Unless you think averaging 4.5 disposals per game is getting a lot of the ball
Now I have five and you have three... name the other thirty highly skilled ,well built ,damaging, strong and athletic Brisbane players as quoted please.

Look I don't think Attard is a great player at all - he is just a tagger with a fair bit of pace . We sadly needed an injection of a small with pace in the backline last year he was picked up as a rookie so he fitted the bill ok for 2007. (if he didn't I am sure he would not have played twenty games)
I am just trying to point out you may be being a little too simplistic with your belief in what both coaches want. I am sure Ross the Boss likes damaging strong athletic players just as much as Barney . You make it sound like Ross picked Attard instead of Chris Judd or something!

Go Sainters !!!!!
bozza1980
Club Player

Good luck to Sweeney, hopefully he gets another crack.

Obviously didn't fit into the mix we required at Moorabbin, maybe being delisted will be the kick in the pants he needed and he will make the most of a lifeline if it's thrown.

Quixote
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:some time a differant team can do that its about needs to the team think Grammy couldnt get a game there and hes in our top 10 players

Jason Gram in his first game for the Lions lost them the 4 points

It was vs Freo, in WA

3 point margin, Brisbane's way, late last quarter

Ball goes to Freo's square, 1-on-1, Gram fumbles, coughs up to Freo player, who goals

The Mantle win

Don't think that club or it's supporters ever forgave him

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Quixote wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:some time a differant team can do that its about needs to the team think Grammy couldnt get a game there and hes in our top 10 players

Jason Gram in his first game for the Lions lost them the 4 points

It was vs Freo, in WA

3 point margin, Brisbane's way, late last quarter

Ball goes to Freo's square, 1-on-1, Gram fumbles, coughs up to Freo player, who goals

The Mantle win

Don't think that club or it's supporters ever forgave him
Following that, gram was no star in his first year or 2 with us... he has developed into the wonderful player that he is, and is the norm i think, in that many players come on later than other... Admittidly he came on at age 21/22, but these days he was almost washed up....