St Kilda on the move ....To Frankston

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

If we did stay with Casey after the relocation, its only 5 mins up the road. Another positive :-)

However, Id be amazed if the Clubs werent raising the subject...and by 2010 we hadnt struck a deal to be aligned with the Dolphins. From a football, marketing and logisitcal perspective it makes total sense. The closest we will ever get to having a Saints reserves side again I reckon

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

GrumpyOne wrote:
LTN16 wrote:
The Saints’ affiliation with the Casey Scorpions will not be affected despite St Kilda sharing the new facility with standalone VFL club the Frankston Dolphins.
So we will be sharing all our new facilities with the Frankston Dolphins :roll:
Something wrong with that?
Well wouldn't it make a lot more sense if we were aligned with the Dolphins instead of Casey ??

GrumpyOne

LTN16 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
LTN16 wrote:
The Saints’ affiliation with the Casey Scorpions will not be affected despite St Kilda sharing the new facility with standalone VFL club the Frankston Dolphins.
Well wouldn't it make a lot more sense if we were aligned with the Dolphins instead of Casey ??
Yes, but if Frankston council is putting $3m in, sharing with the Dolphins is a small price to pay.

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Very, very annoyed. I'm based about 5 minutes from Moorabbin, and loved being able to walk down for the intra-club matches, training and so forth. Stupid Kingston Council, not very happy with them. Can't believe the members and so forth had no say.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

GrumpyOne wrote:
LTN16 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
LTN16 wrote:
Yes, but if Frankston council is putting $3m in, sharing with the Dolphins is a small price to pay.
If the Frankston council is putting in $3m then that's not too bad then.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:If we did stay with Casey after the relocation, its only 5 mins up the road. Another positive :-)

However, Id be amazed if the Clubs werent raising the subject...and by 2010 we hadnt struck a deal to be aligned with the Dolphins. From a football, marketing and logisitcal perspective it makes total sense. The closest we will ever get to having a Saints reserves side again I reckon
Surely this is a no-brainer - considering we have 2 full years to do it, it should be easy to achieve.

If we were aligned to Frangga in the VFL, at least a lot of us folk based near Moorabbin have easy access to Frankston by train or car to watch the odd VFL game, plus it's on the way to Rye, Sorrento, Portsea region.......not a bad stop over option!!!

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

the only problem is to get frankston to come around on the affiliation issue. they have always wanted to go solo

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
iceman
Club Player

It is a very good move for the long term stability of the club.

Unfortunately the AFL these days is a ruthless business and gone are the days that a club feels like the local suburban football club. The VFL/AFL chose to move on and we chose to move with it.

We should be grateful that at this stage we are not called the Southern Saints, (or Moorabin saints which very nearly happened)

The demographics and logistics of the move are similar to that of 1965, Geographically, yes we are moving probably twice (a bit more) as far as the move from Junction to Moorabin, however the population growth etc. has been that great in the southern suburbs that it will have similar affects in comparison to that of the move to moorabin.

Some things do worry me though as to why Frankston over Casey, and this is not biased as a Casey Member.

Frankston Oval is smaller than any AFL ground, and much narrower (maybe skilled staduim might be similar width), it currently holds 8000 and there is not huge amounts of room for expansion as it is surrounded by 4 Roads.

There might be some room for Admin/Pools/Indoor court etc. at the Western end, but no where on the eastern end, which only limits potential capacity even further for practice games intra clubs etc. When AFL clubs improve facicilities even further again in 40 years time, St. Kilda will have no room to move, unless they start buying some (by that stage, more so than now) prime real estate.

Frankston have made it clear on many occasions that they will not be seeking an alignment.

Casey offered everything they requested plus more, and the chance to build a botique stadium was to be capable of hosting matches againts interstate teams. The playing surface is already the size of the MCG. It is the Fastest growing region in Australia outside the Gold Coast, and what doesn't make sense to me is that players were 'apparently' Complaining about Casey being too far away! Casey is just as close to Frankston oval as Moorabin is to St. Kilda, and is maybe a 20 minute drive from Frankston.

But anyway, the move will still be beneficial to the St. Kilda Football Club.

And re. Allignments, it wouldn't at all suprise me to see one day in the future a part alignment split between Scorpions and Dolphins. It is a real possibility, particularly if the Roos head North.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Moving ,,, YES !

I for one am very happy at the move.
Originally from down near frankston and see a lot of suppor down that way.

I went to "Linen Oval" ????? earlier this year and quite frankly was embarressed at the place . Thought it was very ordinary.

Bulldoze the place and build little pink houses .

Our history is the team and the club .

What will be next from this club ?
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

iceman wrote:.

And re. Allignments, it wouldn't at all suprise me to see one day in the future a part alignment split between Scorpions and Dolphins. It is a real possibility, particularly if the Roos head North.
gee that would be a dark day in the history of the old vfl/vfa comp..

sprinvale and frankston were always massibe rivals, thats effectively like merging carlton and collingwood

iceman
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:gee that would be a dark day in the history of the old vfl/vfa comp..

sprinvale and frankston were always massibe rivals, thats effectively like merging carlton and collingwood
I understand that completely, but to be honest, I think it will start to bring back a bit of that rivalry that has been missing for 4, 5,6+ years. And it would be beneficial to the St. Kilda football club, which is what unfortunately the VFA/L is turning into, a bully ground for the AFL to play chess with. If it wasn't for clubs such as Frankston and Port Melbourne, Williamstown and thats' probably it at the oment, the VFL would be pointless.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

just another thinf iceman..are you working on the assumption that our reserves will stand alone? because it has been discussed in the past and is not financially viable for us.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Hey fonz,i think you need a new keyboard,the current one leaves out letters or adds the wrong ones.........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
iceman
Club Player

No, I just feel that the less AFL clubs in VIC, the more opporrtunity to align, and it will be seen that you are better off having a split alignment where players can get longer match time in the 1's in positions they are being groomed to play, all of a sudden St. Kildas 40th bloke on the list becomes a VFL teams 8th, or 10th or 14th bloke in the side, rather than 23rd and being sent to the VFL 2's.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:Hey fonz,i think you need a new keyboard,the current one leaves out letters or adds the wrong ones.........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
your not wrong :lol: the problem is i am typing in my bedroom with no light on my laptop so i cant see shyte :D

HarveysDeciple

saint66au wrote:If we did stay with Casey after the relocation, its only 5 mins up the road. Another positive :-)

that was the first thing that entered my head to be honest.

Makes perfect sense.

mischa
Club Player

Great move. At lost some decisiveness. Go Greg :)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:overview from all sides

http://www.frankstonleader.com.au/artic ... _news.html
interesting....so the Kingston Council are bitching because of the "eyesore" that the stand will create at Moorabbin?

Tough tiddlewinks Council!

Maybe you'll screw all the ratepayers to pay for the demolition.

Perhaps Topsy Turvy should try and help....or get demolished herself!!!

I like the idea of a Frangga/Saints VFL alignment from 2010 - Frankston has more appeal to go to than Cranbourne - a bit closer plus it's bayside, not sticksville....

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

``The social club (at Moorabbin) will remain exactly as it is,’’ Mr Fraser said.
EXACTLY????

IF we are going to maintain a Social Club operation at Linton St..there HAS to be some capital works done on the building..with Family Day, Intra Club game and training no longer there to attract a crowd..I fear the revenue from thye machines will become negligible unless some work is done to make the place a touch more attractive and competive in the market..or sont the bloody Council want that either, in case we destry the social fabric of the City??? :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
``The social club (at Moorabbin) will remain exactly as it is,’’ Mr Fraser said.
EXACTLY????

IF we are going to maintain a Social Club operation at Linton St..there HAS to be some capital works done on the building..with Family Day, Intra Club game and training no longer there to attract a crowd..I fear the revenue from thye machines will become negligible unless some work is done to make the place a touch more attractive and competive in the market..or sont the bloody Council want that either, in case we destry the social fabric of the City??? :roll:
Maybe the council need to be sent a cocktail so they can sit back and enjoy their efforts.

They deserve nothing less :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov_cocktail

linz
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
saintbrat wrote:overview from all sides

http://www.frankstonleader.com.au/artic ... _news.html
interesting....so the Kingston Council are bitching because of the "eyesore" that the stand will create at Moorabbin?

Tough tiddlewinks Council!

Maybe you'll screw all the ratepayers to pay for the demolition.

Perhaps Topsy Turvy should try and help....or get demolished herself!!!

I like the idea of a Frangga/Saints VFL alignment from 2010 - Frankston has more appeal to go to than Cranbourne - a bit closer plus it's bayside, not sticksville....
Agree. I suppose their will be much talk going on between the Dolphins & us over the next few months. It just makes sense.

As opposed to individuals who don't make sense; the Kingston Council has just lost to their ratepayers over 15.5 million bucks + multiplier income benefits amounting to more than twice that amount because of their stubborn insistance that pokie machines can't be transported 200 metres.

Who knows? Maybe the Moorabbin grandstands can be heritage listed.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.