Rookie Draft????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sax
Club Player

Rookie Draft????

We will only have 2 picks in the Rookie Draft because we already have 4 rookies. (Attard, Van Rheenan, Eddy & Haretuku).
Pick 8 & 24.
What do we need?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We definitely need a Tall Defender type player with one of those picks but
i'd go with 2 players of that type and hope one of them works out......

:wink:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
jimmy_slats
Club Player

if clayton collards still there at pic 8 in the rookie id say why not

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Pick 8 - Tom Bellchambers - 200cm Ruckman.

Pick 24 - Travis Dulic - 192cm Key Defender.

They would be two excellent Rookie picks.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Can't see us taking Bellchambers. We already have four rucks on the senior list and two on the rookie list. It's already going to be a struggle to find playing time for everybody. If Gardiner is healthy, then it's probably King and Gardiner for St. Kilda; Rix and McEvoy for the Scorps.

I'm expecting more onballers from the rookie draft.

Edit: or Gourdis

[url]mms://wm9.streaming.telstra.com/wh_afl1/OnDemand/Preseason08/davidgourdis.wmv[/url]

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Would love for us to take any of Gourdis, Gaertner, Bellchambers, Arrowsmith, McGinnity, Conelly, Sandilands, Collard, Pfeiffer or McQualter.

Joel Smouha would be nice, but he is too young to be rookied.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Can't see us taking Bellchambers. We already have four rucks on the senior list and two on the rookie list. It's already going to be a struggle to find playing time for everybody. If Gardiner is healthy, then it's probably King and Gardiner for St. Kilda; Rix and McEvoy for the Scorps.
We do have a lot of rucks, but three of them are stop-gap players who won't play 50 more games and two are extremely injury-prone. You could be pretty comfortable making a bet that at least one, maybe even two of our ruckmen will be unavailable at any point in time.

If we took a ruckman in the rookie draft then I think they'd line up like this...(assuming that one of King or Gardiner is unavailable)

St Kilda seniors
King/Gardiner - First ruck
Rix - Backup ruck

Casey seniors
Luke van Rheenen - First ruck
McEvoy - Backup ruck/forward

Casey reserves
Bellchambers/Connolly - First ruck
Khan Haretuku - Backup ruck

If Bellchambers is available at pick 8 then I think he's too good to pass up. He was rated by everyone as a top 10 selection in the National Draft at the start of the year.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

One for the Rookie Draft !!

Michael Del Aquilla: Goal Kicking midfielder from Eastern Rangers. Has had a horrific run with injuries over the past 2 yrs (incl doing a hamstring at Draft Camp). If he can get his body right he could be what we need up forward in 2-3 years. Was mentioned in the same sentences as Kruiser & Cotchin at u16 level !!

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Hugh Sandilands/David Gourdis/Clayton Collard/Ashley Arrowsmith

off the top of my head

lachie hill is another to watch but sydney will most likely take him

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Has Joseph Daye a chance??

Was picked in a mock draft to go at pick 41 (Brisbane)

ORIGINAL CLUB ZILLMERE
DOB 2/02/1990
HEIGHT 191.7 CM
WEIGHT 78.4 KG

Tall, running utility player with a sweeping left foot kick. Very quick type who represented Queensland at U18 level. Recorded a 20m sprint time of 2.95sec at the 2007 NAB AFL Draft Camp. Graduate of the AIS/AFL Academy.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
sasaint
Club Player

Will be lots of interest in our Rookie draft. I don't think we can fit another ruck into our list but a developing defender and a midfielder would be a good balance. So in my book it will be in order of preference

Defenders one of Gaetner/Kangas/Smouha/Dullic
Midfielders one of Joseph/Bail/Collard/McGinnity

So, as I say, still loads of interest in the Rookie list. :D

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:Will be lots of interest in our Rookie draft. I don't think we can fit another ruck into our list but a developing defender and a midfielder would be a good balance. So in my book it will be in order of preference

I found this about Smouha

Name: Joel Smouha
Height: 196.3
Weight: 80
State: Queensland
Club(s): Mt Gravatt

Very athletic player with terrific leap and can take a mark. Highlighted his aerobic qualities with a 15.1 Beep Test (Top 2 per cent) and 3km time of 10.23sec - ranked No.1 for the 2007 NAB AFL Draft Camp. Only 12 months in the game; represented Queensland at U18 level in 2007.

Smouha could be a very effective full back with his height and leap. Although a bit short for the spot, Smouha does have ruck ability so he could be used there. With the ability to cover a lot of distance, a team might think that Smouha could be a centre half forward that could lead up through the middle as a marking option. He is more than an athletic project for a team, Smouha is a good football prospect with a lot of possibilities.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

also aaron joseph. i wanted him with our 2nd pick today so to get him in the rookie draft would be great.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

St Fidelius wrote:
sasaint wrote:Will be lots of interest in our Rookie draft. I don't think we can fit another ruck into our list but a developing defender and a midfielder would be a good balance. So in my book it will be in order of preference

Very athletic player with terrific leap and can take a mark. Highlighted his aerobic qualities with a 15.1 Beep Test (Top 2 per cent) and 3km time of 10.23sec - ranked No.1 for the 2007 NAB AFL Draft Camp. Only 12 months in the game; represented Queensland at U18 level in 2007.

Smouha could be a very effective full back with his height and leap. Although a bit short for the spot, Smouha does have ruck ability so he could be used there. With the ability to cover a lot of distance, a team might think that Smouha could be a centre half forward that could lead up through the middle as a marking option. He is more than an athletic project for a team, Smouha is a good football prospect with a lot of possibilities.
Smouha is too young for the Rookie draft and will have to wait until next year to get drafted.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:Defenders one of Gaetner/Kangas/Smouha/Dullic
mad saint guy wrote:Joel Smouha would be nice, but he is too young to be rookied.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Smouha is too young for the Rookie draft and will have to wait until next year to get drafted.

he was born on the 5th february 1990......does that make him too young....???

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote: he was born on the 5th february 1990......does that make him too young....???
Don't think so mate...

I also found this...

To me a perfect rookie

Perfect Fit For:
The Bulldogs have been trying to add height to their back line, Williams and Everitt have debuted for the Bulldogs this year and there is room on their list for some more young defenders. Smouha would add another tall and athletic prospect to their team, and as they are also happy to go with a shorter ruckman, like Skipper or Darcy, Smouha might also play there for the Bulldogs too.

AFLinsider.net prediction:
He won't be getting his name called too early in the draft. Right now he fits into the sleeper category and might be available in the later rounds of the draft, although his results in tests at the draft camp or at state level could change things. Brisbane in the third round might be a possible destination for Smouha. The Lions would want him as a tall defender, as they have the ruck spot under control.

AFL Fantasy Outlook:
A bit younger than other draft picks, and needing to add some weight too, Smouha may not be thrown into the action right away. But as A Everitt and N Krakouer have shown, sometimes if the players have the ability but not the bulk they can still make a positive impact for their teams. If he is used as a full back his fantasy points may not be very useful, while a spot in the ruck could produce a lot more points as Smouha would often have a pace advantage over his opponent and could provide a marking target around the ground. Fantasy coaches probably won't consider him next season when assembling their teams, unless his team has several injuries among their tall players.