Saints Midfield Depth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Saints Midfield Depth

We are currently looking at a pretty mean developing midfield. Personally I'm really excited about Robert Eddy developing in 2008, as well as David Armitage. However, the reality is that we have huge depth of midfielders, most of which are developing. Compare this to pre-trade period 2006.

Here's a list. New players since 2006 trade period in Bold, also in rough order of "best" to "least best" as midfielders.

Harvey
Hayes
Ball
Dal Santo
Montagna
Baker
X. Clarke
Schneider
Gram
Goddard
Fiora
Blake
Birss
Dempster
Attard
Geary
Eddy
Armitage
Jones

L. Fisher
Howard
Steven
Connors

Now, looking at retirements and delistings from the last two years.
Peckett
Powell
Thompson
McQualter

It's plain to see we are attempting to build a team of midfielders, and (in my opinion) we are going to see some great players develop, perhaps not to the level of Hayes and Harvey, but almost.

Edit: Added Dempster and Fiora.
Last edited by Otiman on Mon 26 Nov 2007 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.

yipper
SS Life Member

There's actually a nice balance to the list now. We have plenty of young developing talent, good experience, premiership experience, and a good mix of talls, mids and runners. Combine this with a highly rated coaching team, state of the art medical conditioning team and an enthusiastic, pro-active board and - well 2008 is looking mighty promising.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Midfield Depth

Otiman wrote:We are currently looking at a pretty mean developing midfield. Personally I'm really excited about Robert Eddy developing in 2008,
i'm an eddy fan.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I like Eddy too....as well as Geary.

Hopefully they with Armo can develop nicely in 2008...

So in todays game where most team play a supersized-midfield with lots of rotations and running players it is good see some developing depth here.

Overall the list is looking nicely balanced now both in the immediate and longer term .....with the exception of one more tall true defender type.

While both Fisher or Gilbert could fill in here I would like another option....and particularly to replace Max in a year or two....so hopefully one of the rookies will be a guy that could be groomed asa key defender.

I note that say Gourtis was not drafted...so there are some likely types avaialble in the draft.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Gilbert The Great
Club Player

You could also add Dempster to that list. Big engine and can be used in tagging roles

groupie1
Club Player

i reckon you could possibly add fiora too!

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

i am an eddy fan as well

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
midas_touch
Club Player

Got some pretty impressive midfield depth now. With the exception of Harves, Lenny and Bakes, everyone is 24 and under. Just gotta hope guys like Armo and Geary develop into midfielders that can look to break into the rotations.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Megamaguire
Club Player

Waiting on Armaitage

Not fair i know to be seemingly putting too much expectation on the young man but.... i can still dream.

Liked the addition of Ben McEvoy for the on-going development of our midfield focus. Ben has time to develop as most know rucks take a long time yo get ready but it is reassusing that post barry brooks we may well have picked true this time.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Huzzad
Club Player

Missing Fiora definatly. Solid contributor this year.

As for L. Fisher, I like him in the backline. Should stay there. Same for Attard. Can be used in centre for sure but Attard has been a revelation down back, should definatly stay around half back.

Missing Demster as someone already mentioned.

And as for Blake.....no....can't say I am a fan. Not for midfield selection other than our mini ruckman. Should be either down back or used off the bench as a utility.

I'd also rate Dal Santo above Ball in my books.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes in theory good depth now BUT their are still many who have potential who need to step up.......

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

List is now a lot more balanced than it was two years ago.

With more emphasis on running now in footy, developing a strong midfield group with a lot of depth is critical, and RL seems to be doing this.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I also think we have quite a few too many lower level half back flankers - Ferguson, Raph Clarke and probably some more I can't think of right now. As depth they aren't enough of a utility to be able to fit multiple roles - these huge list of guys of various body types who can play midfield can also fill in down back or up forward if required.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

lets be honest here and no disrespect but if we are needing bangers to be our best mid next year we are gunna be in some strife
bangers is great but in all honesty by this stage for us to be a power house the likes of armo should be pushing himself ahead of bangers and the team should only be playing him for stints each qtr if we are pinning our hope on bangers then we will come up short

as i said no disrespect to the great man but we have to play for the future as much for the present

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
The Peanut
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:lets be honest here and no disrespect but if we are needing bangers to be our best mid next year we are gunna be in some strife
bangers is great but in all honesty by this stage for us to be a power house the likes of armo should be pushing himself ahead of bangers and the team should only be playing him for stints each qtr if we are pinning our hope on bangers then we will come up short

as i said no disrespect to the great man but we have to play for the future as much for the present
... yeah but in respect to the great man - he should be named on the top of the list.

signed sealed sainter
Club Player

I'm expectin a lot of Armo with alllll that hype, i've seen him in a Queensland playing for morningside (i think from memory) and you'll be surprised by how agile he is. He's dodging and weaving skills are great not to mention his pace. I've been on holidays during the draft (and the cousins thing :cry: ) and i was wondering where this geary bloke came from. I've never heard of him and i'm pretty sure we didnt pick him in the draft so was it a rookie elevation or something?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

signed sealed sainter wrote:I'm expectin a lot of Armo with alllll that hype, i've seen him in a Queensland playing for morningside (i think from memory) and you'll be surprised by how agile he is. He's dodging and weaving skills are great not to mention his pace. I've been on holidays during the draft (and the cousins thing :cry: ) and i was wondering where this geary bloke came from. I've never heard of him and i'm pretty sure we didnt pick him in the draft so was it a rookie elevation or something?
Yeah, Rookie elevation, I believe he was actually named as an emergency at one point during the year even though he couldn't play, I think it was a reward for his effortsa, attitude and improvement, a lot of people are expecting him to be a chance of forcing himself into the 22 next year, but IMO he wont be so lucky purely due to the fact that we have an abundance of running back flankers...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
signed sealed sainter
Club Player

Great! Thanks
Also i think we have too many second grade half back flanks/running half backs. We've got Gram and Fischer and we could maybe squeeze one more in for maguire while he's nursing his wounds. Players like Raph Clarke (worst #8 ever, well he's pretty bad...), Ferguson and the like should be delisted for more key possie players. I think we should delist a flanker or two that will only act as an emergency and try for a player like Goldsack, late in the draft and 10 year player

Signed Sealed Sainter
Fortius Quo Fidelius
Strength Through Loyalty
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
signed sealed sainter wrote:I'm expectin a lot of Armo with alllll that hype, i've seen him in a Queensland playing for morningside (i think from memory) and you'll be surprised by how agile he is. He's dodging and weaving skills are great not to mention his pace. I've been on holidays during the draft (and the cousins thing :cry: ) and i was wondering where this geary bloke came from. I've never heard of him and i'm pretty sure we didnt pick him in the draft so was it a rookie elevation or something?
Yeah, Rookie elevation, I believe he was actually named as an emergency at one point during the year even though he couldn't play, I think it was a reward for his effortsa, attitude and improvement, a lot of people are expecting him to be a chance of forcing himself into the 22 next year, but IMO he wont be so lucky purely due to the fact that we have an abundance of running back flankers...
If Geary could take up a back flank then that would free up Gram onto the wing.
He could be something special

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
actually elevated before round 22 and was going to be selected in the round 22 team if the crows had lost (and we would be playing for a spot in the 8) but they lost so thommo got a last game.

We have a lot of running back flankers? For mine he slots in nicely in grams spot if we move gram into the midfield.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
actually elevated before round 22 and was going to be selected in the round 22 team if the crows had lost (and we would be playing for a spot in the 8) but they lost so thommo got a last game.

We have a lot of running back flankers? For mine he slots in nicely in grams spot if we move gram into the midfield.
Was he really elevated before round 22?? :shock: :shock: First I've heard of it....

As for our running back flankers we have S.Fisher, Gram, Goddard, X.Clare, R.Clarke etc.

However I do see a spot for Gram in the midfield and if Geary could force himself into the 22 I would love to see Goddard play as a swingman, switching between the loose man in back and an extra tall up front as well as stints in the midfield...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Attard wont be due back until late in the season from injury. He and L. Fisher may be struggling to get a game with the Saints if Geary and others live up to expectations.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Attard wont be due back until late in the season from injury. He and L. Fisher may be struggling to get a game with the Saints if Geary and others live up to expectations.
I believe 2008 is a write off for Attard. He should concentrate on getting his body right to resume training when he can. He is also still on the Rookie list, and whilst our fortunes haven't been great in the past, we can only hope that none of our rookies will be elevated due to long term injury of one of our main list players. Eddy will be the prime candidate unless a ruckman goes down and LVR impresses.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Why is Geary automatically a flanker?

Is he no chance for a midfield rotation?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Why is Geary automatically a flanker?

Is he no chance for a midfield rotation?
well he plays in the mid field for casey.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.