Jack Steven

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

im glad it looks like weve picked up some natural footy players this year with a fair scope for improvment
roll on 2008

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
rinso17

I played in a cricket premiership with Jack last season and can personally vouch for his great character.
Jack is a super competitor VERY fast, VERY VERY tuff and likes it best when someone is trying to intimidate him.
In his first senior game for Lorne Jack was targeted ,as his old man and uncle are legends of the league, he took em on ,belted em back twice as hard and got the BOG. All comers that tried this tactic found it to be counter produdtive.
I am a Richmond supporter and held out hope that Jack would find his way to tigerland alas my stupid club didn't even make contact with him!
As a result l have for the first time in my 45 years have a second team and will also buy a Saints membership (as well as my Tiger one of course)
so l can foolow this young star closely.
Sainters you've got yourselves a gem in Jack Steven!!!

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

rinso17 wrote:I played in a cricket premiership with Jack last season and can personally vouch for his great character.
Jack is a super competitor VERY fast, VERY VERY tuff and likes it best when someone is trying to intimidate him.
In his first senior game for Lorne Jack was targeted ,as his old man and uncle are legends of the league, he took em on ,belted em back twice as hard and got the BOG. All comers that tried this tactic found it to be counter produdtive.
I am a Richmond supporter and held out hope that Jack would find his way to tigerland alas my stupid club didn't even make contact with him!
As a result l have for the first time in my 45 years have a second team and will also buy a Saints membership (as well as my Tiger one of course)
inside info is always apreciated.

what position do you expect him to play in the afl

rinso17

In a year or 2 l would expect him to be a starting mid as he is very good in close. I read on another post that Jack is similar to Jimmy Bartell. I would say close but with alot more pace.
As Jack has always been a natural footballer his fundamentals are all sound in that his skills are very good on both sides of his body and is quite happy to be in and under or play as a link in a chain.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

So this guy won the Best and Fairest for the Geelong falcons even though he was a year younger than most of them? :shock:

Looking at some of the players who have came from Geelong he is from a good stable... Some of the other players to come from their incase you didn't know include Jonathan Brown, Cameron Ling, Scott Lucas, Luke Hodge, Jordan Lewis, Matthew Scarlett, Gary Ablett Jnr, James Bartel, Travis Boak, Amon Buchanon, Stephen Baker and Matt Maguire...

He addresses one of our biggest weakness in lack of midfield hardness... He adds some pace which is always a bonus whilst not as important as it is made out to be.

ATM I am very happy with this pick...
I wouldn't mind him playing some VFL and TAC time to really fast track his development... I will be keen to see how he compares to players rated a first round pick in next years draft...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
jimmy_slats
Club Player

he won the b'n'f nd only played 15 games as well kids gona b a star hoking was givin him heaps of praise even mor so than the others that got drafted from gaylong falcons

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

rinso17 wrote:
I like that in a player and I really can't wait to see him play.

There is nothing worst than a soft player that won't go hard at the ball and the man!!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

jimmy_slats wrote:he won the b'n'f nd only played 15 games as well kids gona b a star hoking was givin him heaps of praise even mor so than the others that got drafted from gaylong falcons
Quite impressive but the question has to be asked, why did no one take him any sooner??

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rinso17 wrote:In a year or 2 l would expect him to be a starting mid as he is very good in close. I read on another post that Jack is similar to Jimmy Bartell. I would say close but with alot more pace.
As Jack has always been a natural footballer his fundamentals are all sound in that his skills are very good on both sides of his body and is quite happy to be in and under or play as a link in a chain.
cheers mate - I was interested in his foot skills - can he hit a target?

“Yeah….nah””
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

rinso17 wrote:I played in a cricket premiership with Jack last season and can personally vouch for his great character.
Thanks for the info mate :wink:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
Thanks for the info mate :wink:
Thanks for the membership too :wink:

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Breaking news!!!!

According to the HS, we didn't actually draft him!
ST KILDA: Ruck-forward Ben McEvoy boosted their height at No.9, the Saints' only pick in the first 40. Fraser Gehrig came out of retirement at No. 57, while James Polkinghorne (42) and Eljay Connors (70) were their other picks.

BallBanger
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:So this guy won the Best and Fairest for the Geelong falcons even though he was a year younger than most of them? :shock:

Looking at some of the players who have came from Geelong he is from a good stable... Some of the other players to come from their incase you didn't know include Jonathan Brown, Cameron Ling, Scott Lucas, Luke Hodge, Jordan Lewis, Matthew Scarlett, Gary Ablett Jnr, James Bartel, Travis Boak, Amon Buchanon, Stephen Baker and Matt Maguire...

He addresses one of our biggest weakness in lack of midfield hardness... He adds some pace which is always a bonus whilst not as important as it is made out to be.

I wouldn't mind him playing some VFL and TAC time to really fast track his development... I will be keen to see how he compares to players rated a first round pick in next years draft...
Armoo,
Pace is very important, maybe not as important as talent but nonetheless frees up the player from pressured disposal...akin to a ruckman with height, height most important but leap also important.

Ask Leigh Fisher if he would appreciate a bit more speed...would be elevated into our best 22 rather than fringe

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

rinso17 wrote: As a result l have for the first time in my 45 years have a second team and will also buy a Saints membership (as well as my Tiger one of course)
Just make sure you don't tear up the wrong one around round 10 ;)

supersaints
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:Breaking news!!!!

According to the HS, we didn't actually draft him!
ST KILDA: Ruck-forward Ben McEvoy boosted their height at No.9, the Saints' only pick in the first 40. Fraser Gehrig came out of retirement at No. 57, while James Polkinghorne (42) and Eljay Connors (70) were their other picks.
noticed that myself surely polkinghorne would go to the hawks under father son.... The HS get a fair bit wrong these days!!

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
rinso17

Otiman wrote:
rinso17 wrote: As a result l have for the first time in my 45 years have a second team and will also buy a Saints membership (as well as my Tiger one of course)
Just make sure you don't tear up the wrong one around round 10 ;)
My tear ducs are dry and wells are empty.
I do beleive we are headed in the right direction but if my hope tree is yet again fruitless ,l have Jack to follow. And by the way Jack is good on both sides of his body. Like l said ,a natural footballer

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
Armoooo wrote:So this guy won the Best and Fairest for the Geelong falcons even though he was a year younger than most of them? :shock:

Armoo,
Pace is very important, maybe not as important as talent but nonetheless frees up the player from pressured disposal...akin to a ruckman with height, height most important but leap also important.

Ask Leigh Fisher if he would appreciate a bit more speed...would be elevated into our best 22 rather than fringe
Pace is not a pre-requisite it is a bonus... as for Leigh Fisher being a depth player how many depth players play 21 games a year?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Armoooo wrote:
BallBanger wrote:

Armoo,

Pace is not a pre-requisite it is a bonus... as for Leigh Fisher being a depth player how many depth players play 21 games a year?
Mainly players who play for teams with questionable depth! In my best 22 Leigh Fisher is lineball for a spot with Raph and Dempster. Two of them will play during Bakes' suspension but when the little mongrel is back I see those three as 22, 23 & 24 on the list.

HarveysDeciple

The Geelong Falcons have a penchant for providing the AFL with some very very good inside midfielders.

Jack looks a very likely type from all the reports on here.