Gold Coast Poll

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Should we play home and away games on the Gold Coast?

Yes
23%
No
41%
With provisos such as... (give details!)
33%
Other options (details!)
3%

Total votes: 75

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Gold Coast Poll

As the topic of the GC heats up...
Last edited by n1ck on Tue 04 Dec 2007 9:58am, edited 1 time in total.

ben_fff
Club Player

I'm voting yes if it means:

8 home TD games
8 away Melbourne games
3 carrara games (home and away)
3 other games

Saints94
SS Life Member

Thanks for doing that for me N1ck

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Remember they would be used in lieu of more counter-productive travelling to Perth, Adelaide, etc!

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

I voted "with provisos" and that is that as the Club has proposed, we play NO MORE than SIX Interstate games in a Season including the Gold Coast games.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Go Sretnias Go wrote:I voted "with provisos" and that is that as the Club has proposed, we play NO MORE than SIX Interstate games in a Season including the Gold Coast games.
Yep, thats my proviso as well.

bozza1980
Club Player

n1ck wrote:
Go Sretnias Go wrote:I voted "with provisos" and that is that as the Club has proposed, we play NO MORE than SIX Interstate games in a Season including the Gold Coast games.
Yep, thats my proviso as well.
They're my provisos also.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Yes as long as it is clear we will NOT NOT NOT NOT relocate more than 3 home games and NOT NOT NOT NOT be relocating there permanently.

Thats fine.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:Yes as long as it is clear we will NOT NOT NOT NOT relocate more than 3 home games and NOT NOT NOT NOT be relocating there permanently.

Thats fine.
I dont think it was even implied in the proposal that we would consider it.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
riccardo wrote:Yes as long as it is clear we will NOT NOT NOT NOT relocate more than 3 home games and NOT NOT NOT NOT be relocating there permanently.

Thats fine.
Yeah, but you knowe how the AFL is, I just want to be sure.

I'll support the St Kilda Saints on the Gold Coast, but the Gold Coast Saints can get stuffed.

Saints94
SS Life Member

riccardo wrote:
n1ck wrote:

Thats fine.
Yeah, but you knowe how the AFL is, I just want to be sure.

I'll support the St Kilda Saints on the Gold Coast, but the Gold Coast Saints can get stuffed.
I'm not having gold on my gurnsey

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

n1ck wrote:Remember they would be used in lieu of more counter-productive travelling to Perth, Adelaide, etc!
What he said - yes if it's Gold Coast instead of traveling to SA & WA :shock:
No change to Home games

Hold your ground :shock:
noreason41
Club Player

As long as we don't play more than 6 games interstate, i'm happy with playing games at GC.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

3 home games on the g.c considering the financial windfall (if there is one)

and i would want 2 of those games to be within the week too...so we could raid or at least attempt to raid the coast for more support/future members

oh and also the fact that i want to see two saints games within the week instead of my usual gabba match and the melbourne match

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

yes..already stated why

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Provisos:
- MUST be significant financial incentive for home games period as we're sacrificing our Telstra Dome take on good attendance, and our home ground advantage.

- SHOULD be organised to maximise possible ties to Gold Coast community, not just player wise but opponent wise. 2 week head-to-head with Brisbane (ie. week 1 @ Gabba, week 2 @ Carrara 1 theirs the other ours) and another home game against Kangaroos would be ideal for 2 of the home dates. If there's a third, would be ideal against a non-telstra-dome team the week following the Kangaroos.

- SHOULD other than the Kangaroos be against preferably interstate, and definately not Telstra Dome teams.

Resultant fixture should mean:
  • 8 Telstra Dome Home Games
    8 Melbourne away games
    3 Gold Coast Home Games
    1 Brisbane Away Game.
    2 Other interstate games.
I acknowledge this is demanding, but the AFL gets to break in the Gold Coast with one of the most successful lists of the last 5 years, including QLD talent... they get to smooth the way for the Roos by having them as one of 2 teams that play us up there regularly if the James Brayshaw plan falls over. They get to push the Lions as well with the possibility of back to back QLD dates for us and other clubs to build rivalries. I believe St. KFC is the ideal partner for the AFL in smoothing the way up there (without finding themselves even further in Collingwood's pocket), and for that, I expect the AFL to pay up with a very good fixture, opportunities and $$$.

Otherwise, the home field advantage at Telstra Dome is too valuable.

Should this deal go ahead, this will be the first evaluation of the new board's ability to negotiate with the AFL. I expect nothing less than a Collingwood-esque initiative.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

I like BAM!'s thinking on this.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Bam, that is brilliant!!
I hope that someone from the club has read that, absolute dream result for St.Kilda and if we were able to get that it would be massive for the club....

Personally I don't believe that we will be involved, I would think that another team would come in and outbid us...

I really think that we should get Roo to front up to the AFL to sell the idea, he could become the face of Footy for the GC...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

As long as he doesnt end up joining the GC club!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Gotta say Bam..as a fervent supporter of keeping home games in Melbourne....your proposal has merit...as you say...its our way or they can find someone else.

The AFL should be dancing with joy that a team with such a supporter base and Qld on-field presence has actually OFFERED to play some HOME games up there...they should be licking our shoes with gratitude IMHO

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

The way I see it, I think, it means we have 1 - 3 LESS games in melbourne dosent it ? Eitther home or away ones? If so, I vote definately NOOOO!

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Actually we would have the same amount of games in Melbourne, because our interstate trips would be capped at 6, therefore the 3 GC HOME matches would be cancelled out by 3 more melbourne AWAY games... if taht makes sense.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Gotta say Bam..as a fervent supporter of keeping home games in Melbourne....your proposal has merit...as you say...its our way or they can find someone else.

The AFL should be dancing with joy that a team with such a supporter base and Qld on-field presence has actually OFFERED to play some HOME games up there...they should be licking our shoes with gratitude IMHO
agree.

I don't think it is asking too much of the AFL.

F*** 'em - they are desperate for a GC presence, and if North say rack off then the other Melbourne clubs have the AFL by the noose.

Ask for $3M per year - whatya reckon BAM??

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I thought the deal was only a goer if Kangaroos reject the AFL offer? Also don't want to go to the Gabba, that was the best part of the deal.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
midas_touch
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Provisos:
- MUST be significant financial incentive for home games period as we're sacrificing our Telstra Dome take on good attendance, and our home ground advantage.

- SHOULD be organised to maximise possible ties to Gold Coast community, not just player wise but opponent wise. 2 week head-to-head with Brisbane (ie. week 1 @ Gabba, week 2 @ Carrara 1 theirs the other ours) and another home game against Kangaroos would be ideal for 2 of the home dates. If there's a third, would be ideal against a non-telstra-dome team the week following the Kangaroos.

- SHOULD other than the Kangaroos be against preferably interstate, and definately not Telstra Dome teams.

Resultant fixture should mean:
  • 8 Telstra Dome Home Games
    8 Melbourne away games
    3 Gold Coast Home Games
    1 Brisbane Away Game.
    2 Other interstate games.
I acknowledge this is demanding, but the AFL gets to break in the Gold Coast with one of the most successful lists of the last 5 years, including QLD talent... they get to smooth the way for the Roos by having them as one of 2 teams that play us up there regularly if the James Brayshaw plan falls over. They get to push the Lions as well with the possibility of back to back QLD dates for us and other clubs to build rivalries. I believe St. KFC is the ideal partner for the AFL in smoothing the way up there (without finding themselves even further in Collingwood's pocket), and for that, I expect the AFL to pay up with a very good fixture, opportunities and $$$.

Otherwise, the home field advantage at Telstra Dome is too valuable.

Should this deal go ahead, this will be the first evaluation of the new board's ability to negotiate with the AFL. I expect nothing less than a Collingwood-esque initiative.
I was initially hesistant on the proposal, but I'd be very pleased if your plan actually went ahead. Hopefully the St Kilda board and and AFL commission stumble upon your post :P.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)