GT. Bring him back.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints43
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:Well Jeffrey when the contract was signed, St.Kilda were thought of as a premiership favourite
We were a premiership favourite at the start of the 2007 season, psycho.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:What capacity would he be of use at down at the club?

Media relations?

Fertility advice to enhance future father-son picks?

As much as a I admired his contributions at the time and felt remarkably ambivalent about his sacking, I fear we've moved on a bit. His support is valuable but any more of unlikely.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

GT has had his time; getting him back to the club in any official capacity at all would be divisive IMO and unwarranted. The media circus and subsequent fallout alone would make it a poor decision.

A clean break, and a free and clear chance for the incumbents to perform is what is needed.

bob__71
Club Player

B4E,

There is a big difference between signing a document saying that you are not owed holiday pay (BTW when he still thought he had a job...and didnt like taking holidays by all accounts) and signing a document saying you have been paid your holiday pay....one has an implication you recieved your holiday pay the other that you waivered it.

it would seem to me that if he was paid the money (as you state as FACT) then there would be no need for anyone to sign a stat dec....it would be there on the record....or was it missing because of RB's dodgy accounting practices.....just how much money did RB and GT squander away from the club....while not buying new footballs

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

St.Kenny wrote:True St.Kilda never played so well defensively as they did in '07 ................
The stats I've read certainly doesn't suggest that.

We were very poor defensively last year.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I want him back if only just to piss you off Andy. :P
Ray, you've been a very, very naughty boy :wink:
I guess I just can't help myself :)

JeffDunne

I reckon we should name the new Frankston centre after him.

Would be fitting recognition for his services.

On second thoughts, maybe we should name the grandstand after him and then we won't need to pay for its demolition.

I have a feeling Andrew would volunteer his services

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
St.Kenny wrote:True St.Kilda never played so well defensively as they did in '07 ................
The stats I've read certainly doesn't suggest that.

We were very poor defensively last year.
and we weren't too flash offensively either. an across-the-board improvement is needed, starting with a forward line that kicks goals

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

One of the better threads on GT in a while. Some pretty good reading.

One highlight though is Jeff's : :roll: Actually :roll: :roll:

Gold. Classic. Brought a smile to this cynical face.

Disclaimer: I have worked with and for GT in a previous life. I previously worked with Matt Rendell. I have been close to the inner circle previously. I am not any longer in the know with anyone at the club. End Disclaimer.

I think it was OWTS who said it. "Divisive". Pretty much spot on. His way or the highway. Many times illogical. Many times abusive and emotional. Might have been a 'great people person' in private, but I certainly didn't see it.

Glad to see him gone. Thank him for his contribution though. For all his personal faults, some of his initiatives are now common place and shouldn't be forgotten.

1. Community camps. Lead the way with Warrnambool. AFL jumped on it and now it is compulsory.

2. Overseas training camps.

3. Leadership groups and use of Ray McLean. Ray is Ray McEverywhere now.

But unfortunately, I now find myself in agreeance with B4E for the most part. The holiday pay stuff I couldn't care about, but the backroom dealings with RB were just plain wrong. His recruiting and use of the rookie list are now shown to be appalling.

He played his favourites and would stick with them through thick or thin but would freeze out others.

As for Bundy, he's a good bloke who acted as right hand man. Don't shoot him for his loyalty and service.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:He played his favourites and would stick with them through thick or thin but would freeze out others.
they all do that

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:He played his favourites and would stick with them through thick or thin but would freeze out others.
they all do that
I'm sure they do.

My point is that it didn't just occur on match day or where they were played. He froze them out completely in the club for months if they transgressed in any way. Unless he was a love child. TS wasn't.

What sort of work environment is that?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
they all do that
I'm sure they do.

My point is that it didn't just occur on match day or where they were played. He froze them out completely in the club for months if they transgressed in any way. Unless he was a love child. TS wasn't.

Sounds like most places I've worked....... :wink:

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

JeffDunne wrote:On second thoughts, maybe we should name the grandstand after him and then we won't need to pay for its demolition.
If we demolish the stand can we have GT there at the time?

Preferably in the middle of it?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
they all do that
I'm sure they do.

Well of course you would be frozen out. Just look at your username for a start!! 8-)

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
they all do that
I'm sure they do.

Well of course you would be frozen out. Just look at your username for a start!! 8-)
And the centre of touche of course is "ouch"... :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:

Except it was actually Stan Alves who in 97 who first used Ray McLean.

Take a bow Stan.

While Ray's company consults to many AFL teams now...

He was personally :

**With the Saints in 97...the year we got into the GF..

**The Swans when they won their flag

**...and the Cats in 2007....with their flag.

He has an impressive record.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 06 Dec 2007 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

Except it was actually Stan Alves who in 97 who first used Ray McLean.

Take a bow Stan.
Well there you go. Didn't know that.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
they all do that
I'm sure they do.

And the centre of touche of course is "ouch"... :lol:
Sends a chill down your spine, don't it?

mischa
Club Player

I would. In a heartbeat :wink: I don't believe a single, solitary thing that the "haters" have stated. Never read so many fairytales and untruths-passing as some kind of commentary :roll: :roll:
BAMshhhh wrote:If you repeat something often enough people will come to believe it
Ain't that the truth. Call it propaganda
Saints43 wrote:Round 1 against Melbourne? Bwahahahahahahaha. What a benchmark.

Remember that Parkin is part of the ex-Fitzroy back slappers society.
A sensible post. Finally. It's called the AFL mafia and Lyon was a Robert Scumbag (I mean Walls) appointee. Hopefully everything will be OK, but from observation wherever R.Walls has much of a say, disaster usually follows...And in this environment RL at least is safe...from any criticism whatsoever....I suppose that's a positive.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:I'm sure they do. My point is that it didn't just occur on match day or where they were played. He froze them out completely in the club for months if they transgressed in any way. Unless he was a love child. TS wasn't. What sort of work environment is that

is it TS40 you're talking about? I thought it was Lyon that moved him on

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Nope, TS was delisted after the 05 season IIRC.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Nope, TS was delisted after the 05 season IIRC.
Doesn't mean he wasn't frozen out long before. That was my observation. GT thought he wasn't working hard enough and wrote him off. I'm not saying that GT was wrong in his first assessment, but the treatment after that was appalling.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

he's only been gone one season. one of lyon's first decisions was to delist him as i recall it ... a mistake i thought at the time. but please correct me if i'm wrong.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 06 Dec 2007 4:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
he's only been gone one season. one of lyon's first decisions was to delist him as i recall it. but please correct me if i'm wrong.
I tihnk you're wrong bc :)

hes been gone two seasons... from memory

i could be wrong too though!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:I would. In a heartbeat :wink: I don't believe a single, solitary thing that the "haters" have stated. Never read so many fairytales and untruths-passing as some kind of commentary :roll: :roll:
what is it with you mischa?

are you in love with the man or something??

Can't you take onboard anything SENsational has to say, someone who knows him/knew of him to quite a degree?

Why are you so blind in your love???

Come on, admit it, everyone has their faults, and many of GT's were damming.

Do you really think his recruiting and use of the rookie list was up to scratch?

Surely not, it was downright pathetic, blind freddy could see that.

Sure, I have my biases also, but I'm not blind to them....I will ocassionally even give the AFL credit if they do something well, perhaps you can quarter open one of your eyes....no harm in trying that is there?

Yes, GT did some good for our club in his early years, no doubting that from many of us on here, even B4E, but how he ran the club and conducted himself in his last 3 years was not up to the standard we needed.