Kosi - in the news - (all good)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Kosi - in the news - (all good)

Gehrig comeback didn't surprise us
07 December 2007 Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

http://heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/comm ... 22,00.html

ST KILDA star Justin Koschitzke says the Fraser Gehrig comeback that shocked the football world amazed everyone but his own teammates.

St Kilda star Justin Koschitzke joins Millie Whitehead on the Kalkallo to Berwick leg of her 500km trip to raise money for the Leukaemia Foundation. Picture: Peter Ward

Koschitzke, earmarked for the full-forward role in Gehrig's absence, travelled to Europe to visit the recent retiree in the off-season.

Up for an early-morning jog, he was amazed to see Gehrig joining in, and quickly realised the G-Train's competitive fires had not been extinguished.

Gehrig has returned to play at St Kilda, and while it means Koschitzke will push further afield, he could not be more excited.

"I told him when he got backed that I had already cocked my leg in the goalsquare to mark my territory, so he was going to have to push up somewhere, but it's a super result," Koschitzke said.

"He was never really sure about his retirement.

"He went overseas to think about it and we (Matt Maguire, Leigh Montagna and Nick Dal Santo) met him overseas and he jumped on and went for a run with us. We said, 'What are you doing -- you have only been retired for a month, just relax', and you could tell then he was a bit edgy.

"We weren't surprised at all he wanted to go again."

For so long seemingly cursed by injury after his 20-game debut season in 2001, Koschitzke finally strung together some excellent form last year and missed only three games.

His tailored pre-season program has him riding and swimming on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and it gave him the perfect opportunity to help a childhood friend yesterday.

Koschitzke joined Millie Whitehead on the 80km fifth leg of a seven-day, 500km ride from Albury to Warragul to raise money for the Leukaemia Foundation.

Millie's friend Ben Irwin died just two weeks after being diagnosed with leukaemia, and she hopes to raise $10,000 for the charity.

"She is a great friend of mine and Millie's determination inspired me a bit and I thought I would jump on and give her a hand, and do this leg with her," Koschitzke said.

Koschitzke's excellent 2007 means he can enter pre-season able to build valuable fitness base rather than recover from another operation.

"I really started to get among it towards the end of the year and get a little bit of match fitness. The end of the year came prematurely, but I think it's made the side hungrier," he said.

"The only games I missed were with a suspension and a bit of soreness and when I cut my head in Sydney, so the body was great. It held up all year and for training it came up well so the pre-season helped. I couldn't be happier with where I am at."

He says with Gehrig back and Steven King and Michael Gardiner set for big seasons, he may well be used as a third tall forward.

King arrived at St Kilda in superb condition and Gardiner's foot problems finally seem to be behind him.

"It is quite exciting," Koschitzke said.

"They were pulled aside for a bit of ruck work the other day, and they were two bulls going at it, and they are both in good nick, so it was pretty exciting to see two legitimate ruckmen going at it."

To give money to Millie's ride, visit www.leukaemiafoundation.org.au
Last edited by saintly on Fri 07 Dec 2007 7:56am, edited 1 time in total.

jk23
Club Player

:)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Nice article but it still doesn't shed any light on his virtual 'non-appearance' at open training days.

I sincerely hope it is just the medical/fitness staff giving him a conservative program and nothing to do with the series of x-rays he had a couple of weeks ago.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

"I couldn't be happier with where I am at."

Satisfy everyone does it...or is he a liar??? :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Nice article but it still doesn't shed any light on his virtual 'non-appearance' at open training days.

I sincerely hope it is just the medical/fitness staff giving him a conservative program and nothing to do with the series of x-rays he had a couple of weeks ago.
what more could you want him to say. he is on an individaul program, and is happy where he is at! :roll:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Nice article but it still doesn't shed any light on his virtual 'non-appearance' at open training days.

what more could you want him to say. he is on an individaul program, and is happy where he is at! :roll:
I hope that's all it is.

What more do I want him to say? Either him or someone at the Club to explain why he hasn't been seen training/ running and that it has nothing to do with the series of 'scans' he had at the Epworth a couple of weeks ago.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kosi - in the news - (all good)

saintly wrote: He says with Gehrig back and Steven King and Michael Gardiner set for big seasons, he may well be used as a third tall forward.

King arrived at St Kilda in superb condition and Gardiner's foot problems finally seem to be behind him.

"It is quite exciting," Koschitzke said.

"They were pulled aside for a bit of ruck work the other day, and they were two bulls going at it, and they are both in good nick, so it was pretty exciting to see two legitimate ruckmen going at it."
Great to hear :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

"His tailored pre-season program has him riding and swimming on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and it gave him the perfect opportunity to help a childhood friend yesterday."

This sentence gives a bit of an insight I'd think.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:What more do I want him to say? Either him or someone at the Club to explain why he hasn't been seen training/ running and that it has nothing to do with the series of 'scans' he had at the Epworth a couple of weeks ago.
surely he would have said something if there was a problem ... wouldn't he? nice article by jon ralph

Quixote
SS Life Member

Great news

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Quixote
SS Life Member

Roger you've got to be joking

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Roger you've got to be joking
About what?

To me that sentence tells us that he's training differently to the main group.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
About what?

That's how I read it, would make it hard to do the main group's running/ball work.

Maybe they should have set up a wading pool at Elsternwick for the open training so he could do his swimming and then head over to the BMX track but other than that, sounds like his program has been tailored to his needs.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

second time I've seen Kosi in that Helmet

Carpe Diem
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

No two players will have the same pre-season and, during the season, training regimens will be tailored to fit a player's age, resilience, injury history and fitness level.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
GRAMophone
Club Player

We might not need to panic too much about a player having scans.I believe the [particularly new] medical staff may be gathering some baseline info on various players e.g. clarifying the status of previous injuries etc. Fingers crossed thats it's something along those lines.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
eppo67
Club Player

We will be scan crazy this year trust me.

The Swans spend a fortune on scans and are very individual tailored at training. We now have the Swans fitness coach who is a guru and knows his stuff backwards and from every angle. He is huge on prevention.

Each player has his own dossier of scans, injury history and possible risk factors.

DO NOT BE ALARMED AT THE SCAN RATE THIS YEAR 99% IS PRECAUTIONARY!!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

it's all about the tailored programs, not damaging players who are likely to get injured, and being sensible.

This is a new concept for our club, and obviously a bit hard for some of us to adjust to.

Kosi will go hard in January sometimes methinks......a be firing for Round 1!

Chill out dudes!!!

Liam_G
Club Player

Ahhhh... maybe he was on the bike ride??

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
About what?

That's how I read it, would make it hard to do the main group's running/ball work.

Maybe they should have set up a wading pool at Elsternwick for the open training so he could do his swimming and then head over to the BMX track but other than that, sounds like his program has been tailored to his needs.

Yes Kosi is training differently....but there is no main group this year.

The first thing Misson did was to start developing individual training programs for each and every player.

EVERY player is on an individual program talored to their needs...their fitness, injury state, match day needs, age, etc etc...

according to an ex-Saints Doc that I have spoken with...one of the saints biggest previous problems was the lack of individual tailoring.

Now whether Kosi has any special problems...I know not.

But personalised training is now the norm....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fingers
Saintsational Legend

the thing to remember is the every player has their own special program this preseason - more so than ever before. Kosi will be taking it easy while building strength and fitness. no problems here. Move along.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gawd...what a bunch of worry warts...you complain about all the injuries...when a new mob come in and set individual training programs..you think the club is trying to hide something.......for what flowering purpose i might ask........
Last edited by stinger on Fri 07 Dec 2007 6:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

With all the worry warts resurfacing about injuries, fitness, players no show, yada yada yada.....

I think its time to reinstate my signature......

savatage
SS Life Member

Pwoit wrote:With all the worry warts resurfacing about injuries, fitness, players no show, yada yada yada.....

I think its time to reinstate my signature......

Well said!