The Age - Saints to Open Window of Opportunity

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

The Age - Saints to Open Window of Opportunity

ST KILDA has signed a three-year contract believed to be among the most lucrative sponsorship deals in the AFL with international window and door manufacturer Jeld-Wen.

The deal replaces the club's naming-rights partnership with telecommunications company Vodafone, which did not renew its contract at the end of this season.

Jeld-Wen also has global business interests in real estate, resorts and marketing and three years ago acquired Australian company Corinthian Doors, which will sponsor the Saints' coaches.

Club president Greg Westaway said the deal with a global company was among the "key changes" he forecast when his Footy First ticket challenged the former Rod Butterss-led board.

"When we challenged we were approached by (Jeld-Wen), who said they would like to be on board, they liked the direction the club was heading. It's a fantastic foundation for us."

Westaway said the agreement "completes the commitment to Saints members" to secure a major sponsor.

In October the new board vowed to increase spending on the football department after slipping to 11th of the 16 clubs in football expenditure in 2006.

In that year the Saints total football outlay was $11.28 million — $2.27 million behind West Coast, which outlaid the fourth highest amount in its premiership season.

St Kilda and its new sponsor declined to reveal the amount of the deal, reported by Channel Nine last night to be $6 million, but Corinthian Doors managing director Doug Brown said the company looked forward to a long partnership.

"Jeld-Wen are extremely excited to be St Kilda Football Club's major sponsorship partner for the next three years and hopefully beyond as well," he said.

The new deal includes company logos on the front and back of St Kilda's jumper, the coach's box and coaches' shirt collars.

St Kilda chief executive Archie Fraser, who last month announced that the club would "break even at best" in 2007, said it was thrilled to add a global brand to its sponsorship.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 62724.html

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

well I guess someone had to be the first to use the phrase- Window of opportunity- radio stations got it in yesterday.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

I'm about to start renovations. I've just called Weld-Jen for a quote on their doors and windows.

I've made it clear that I'll support them 'cause they support the Saints.

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
Huzzad
Club Player

Maybe they could give us a discount on construction of the new Frankston facility

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'm actually slightly concerned by this.

From what I can gather, Jeld-wen are taking over the sponsorship from BOTH of Bill Express and Vodafone. My major concern is that this is being billed as a high dollar sponsorship, but it is essentially giving a 2 for 1 offer.

savatage
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:I'm actually slightly concerned by this.

From what I can gather, Jeld-wen are taking over the sponsorship from BOTH of Bill Express and Vodafone. My major concern is that this is being billed as a high dollar sponsorship, but it is essentially giving a 2 for 1 offer.
Do not be concerned. The money from Jeld for one sponsorship surpasses both other deals combined.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I believe Bill Express scaled back their sponsorship earlier this year anyway, and Vodafone became our main sponsor.

If I recall correctly, the Vodafone deal was worth around $1m per year, and Bill Express less than that.

I doubt the club would let other sponsors go (NEC, British Paints, Skins) unless they were getting a better deal financially ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
yipper
SS Life Member

??? It's the biggest sponsorship package we've ever had. And one of the biggest in AFL circles. We are streets ahead and are still adding to the overall sponsorship portfolio.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Saints94
SS Life Member

yipper wrote:

??? It's the biggest sponsorship package we've ever had. And one of the biggest in AFL circles. We are streets ahead and are still adding to the overall sponsorship portfolio.
I like your new avater :wink:

freeseptember
Club Player

You are spot on Oh When the Saints and thanks for supporting me last week when I pre-empted the announcements.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

freeseptember wrote:You are spot on Oh When the Saints and thanks for supporting me last week when I pre-empted the announcements.
so what with NEC and skins???? do we have anyone else?

Furphy
Club Player

Do we still have Piping Hot and X-Box?

Saints94
SS Life Member

Furphy wrote:Do we still have Piping Hot and X-Box?
We still have X-Box on our shorts and Piping Hot went ages ago!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The thing about a huge sponsorship deal is the Osmosis effect - I don't know if that's correct marketing lingo, but what I mean by it is that a big sponsor at a club puts out a message to the market that something must be good about St.Kilda, and if one company is prepared to outlay huge $$$ to us, it is worth considering for other companies also.

Question: When Eddie got Emirates on board at Collingwood, did that flow on to several other decent sponsorship deals??

It's all good IMO - the flow on effect of Jen-Weld undoubtely will reveal itself over the coming months as other companies negoiate to get onboard as sponsors.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Did they get Adidas before or after Emirates?

Saints94
SS Life Member

I thought it was Wizard

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

freeseptember wrote:You are spot on Oh When the Saints and thanks for supporting me last week when I pre-empted the announcements.
Thanks for the info.

Never doubted it was true :)

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.