Good looking squad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St.M
Club Player

Good looking squad

only weakness is really tall defenders....

Tall Defenders 9
M.Hudghton 191
M.Maguire 190
S.Fisher 191
S.Gilbert 194

J.Gwilt 188
J.Blake 191
L.Miles 191

G.Chivers 189
K.Haretuku 198

Medium/Small Defenders 6
J.Gram
R.Clarke
L.Fisher
J.Attard (inj)
S.Dempster
M.Ferguson
B.Howard

Ruck 5
S.King
M.Gardner
M.Rix
B.McEvoy
L.Van Reehnan

Midfield 15
L.Hayes 28
N.Dal Santo 24
L.Ball 24
L.Montagna 24
R.Harvey 36

B.Goddard 23
S.Baker 27
A.Fiora 27

D.Armitage 19
S.Birss 25
C.Jones 24

J.Geary 19
A.McQualter 22
R.Eddy 19
J.Steven 18

Tall Forwards 5
N.Riewoldt 193
J.Koschitzke 197
F.Gehrig 195

J.Allen 192
C.Gardner 190

Small/Medium Fwds 4
A.Schnieder
S.Milne
X.Clarke

E.Conners

Weaknesses ????????

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

While we have considerable midfield depth, the quality really drops away after Hayes, Dal-Santo, Montagna and perhaps Harvey (not expecting a huge year from him though) and Ball (See how his groin is). That is essentially a good first tier midfield, which would dominate 13 or 14 other teams.

This really needs to be addressed by individual players stepping up, the likes of Baker need to bounce back from 2007 form, and guys like Birss, Geary, Jones, Gram, and Armitage really need to step up to the plate. They are currently GOP midfielders. If Eddy and Steven can make an appearance or two this year, that will bode well for their careers.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good looking squad

St.M wrote:only weakness is really tall defenders....

Tall Defenders 9
M.Hudghton 191
M.Maguire 190
S.Fisher 191
S.Gilbert 194

J.Gwilt 188
J.Blake 191
L.Miles 191

G.Chivers 189
K.Haretuku 198

Medium/Small Defenders 6
J.Gram
R.Clarke
L.Fisher
J.Attard (inj)
S.Dempster
M.Ferguson
B.Howard

Ruck 5
S.King
M.Gardner
M.Rix
B.McEvoy
L.Van Reehnan

Midfield 15
L.Hayes 28
N.Dal Santo 24
L.Ball 24
L.Montagna 24
R.Harvey 36

B.Goddard 23
S.Baker 27
A.Fiora 27

D.Armitage 19
S.Birss 25
C.Jones 24

J.Geary 19
A.McQualter 22
R.Eddy 19
J.Steven 18

Tall Forwards 5
N.Riewoldt 193
J.Koschitzke 197
F.Gehrig 195

J.Allen 192
C.Gardner 190

Small/Medium Fwds 4
A.Schnieder
S.Milne
X.Clarke

E.Conners

Weaknesses ????????
You answered that in your first line....

I just feel that Kosi may have to play some game time down back IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

That's the last few years i've been wanting the recruiting staff to draft a tall defender but we couldn't get one,we needed Raymond and Howard and Eljay.

Maybe next year........

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:That's the last few years i've been wanting the recruiting staff to draft a tall defender but we couldn't get one,we needed Raymond and Howard and Eljay.

Maybe next year........
They'll learn eventually. Or perhaps Howard and/or Eljay will kick on and become stars, then we'll all be singing their praises. Until then, it's okay to be skeptical.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i does look as though we are lacking in the big defender dept but if the development of the younger guys in that possition comes along well and we are able o get a servicable year out of maxy we do look to be in ok shape for the future ... although i feel give it another 3 years we will be crying for anothe big quallity forward ..

geeze i hope one of these big lads weve picked up in the draft can step up and become and impacting player in the next 2 years

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No such thing as a perfect list....but our list is now in much better balance.

Ross has mad big strides in his two draft periods (one of which he entered late).

Overall I would also rate it's talent (actual and potential) as having increased.

Yes we still lack a really tall defender.....but this is not needed against most teams...and with GTrain back at FF....Kosi or possibly Rix can play back if a tall defensive option is required.

The Young Miles evidently has a very good leap...and who knows the young Allen may well have grown another cm or two.

Dempster is 192cm...and so provides another option fora third tall defender or even key defender.

We certainly don't want Max retiring for hopefully two seasons though...
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 12 Dec 2007 12:18am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i does look as though we are lacking in the big defender dept but if the development of the younger guys in that possition comes along well and we are able o get a servicable year out of maxy we do look to be in ok shape for the future ... although i feel give it another 3 years we will be crying for anothe big quallity forward ..

geeze i hope one of these big lads weve picked up in the draft can step up and become and impacting player in the next 2 years
arent kosi and roo good enough for you??

a few teams would be happy with just one of them...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i does look as though we are lacking in the big defender dept but if the development of the younger guys in that possition comes along well and we are able o get a servicable year out of maxy we do look to be in ok shape for the future ... although i feel give it another 3 years we will be crying for anothe big quallity forward ..

kosi and roo are great !!! but in 3 years time we would want to be looking at the future of the club kosi and Roo will be still our focal points but it would b better to get a kid to learn the role under them and be hitting his straps at the time they are whinding down as aposed to the current situation we have down back

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Good looking, hey?

Could one of our female members give 1 to 10 ratings for each of our players looks?

Jaz
Club Player

Does anyone else think that with gilberts takling abilities mean he can be a great 3rd back? That being said we still need to get a full back for when max retires or is injured! A genuine full back + s fisher + gilbert + gram and a clarke + attard = fantastic backline. Which we have atm but we need depth and max might only have 1-2 years left in him.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:

kosi and roo are great !!! but in 3 years time we would want to be looking at the future of the club kosi and Roo will be still our focal points but it would b better to get a kid to learn the role under them and be hitting his straps at the time they are whinding down as aposed to the current situation we have down back
understood however a lot of water has to go under the bridge between now and then

and both kosi and roo will be 27...at the peak of their powers

we have 3 drafts to groom a key forward or two cause undoubtably one or both will have extended time on the pine due to injury (only natural)

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

the best way to get an understanding of how good (or bad) that list is would be to compare it to a few other sides

pehaps geelong, sydney, west coast, western bulldogs, melbourne and richmond

the top side from 2007, the most succsessful clubs of recent, a similar positioned club, a club that was similar to us for many year which has fallen away and the bottom side for 2007

ill do a few of the teams just to give an indication of where we are at

HarveysDeciple

Injury free we have flexibility.

But as usual that remains a big if.

Goddard is a midfield option, but also a defender/ medium forward option.

Kozi is a key forward who is a ruck option and a very reliable key back option.

depth in the back 6 is the big worry, goddard and Kozi are blokes who are far better utilised elsewhere, but if necessary can help shore up this weakness.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

There is no correct answer in your comparison SaintBot.

i.e. whilst our list may not compare favourably with Geelong's, for example, it may win us a premiership next year.

List management is not an exact thing, and is about constantly injecting new blood, axeing players who have been given an opportunity and striking a balance between player types.

I feel that since he has come on board, our coach has done that fairly well. I would give him an 8/10 for the changes he has made.

Great post st.M, really shows a nicely developing list, with a good group of youngsters who will come through in the next 3-4 years:
Armitage, Howard, Allen, Geary, Eddy, McEvoy and Steven must all be an excellent chance to play senior football for us at some stage.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Not really sure there is a need for big key defenders... Geelong had scarlett as their biggest body in the GF, and he weighs about as much as one of Goose's dumbells... Tall, agile and fast is what is needed, and i Think we have that pretty much covered..

Overall the list looks very good...

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:Good looking, hey?

Could one of our female members give 1 to 10 ratings for each of our players looks?
haha im pretty sure i could give it a go! :lol:

Just a suggestion, but if king is out of the ruck during a game would we put him down back or just put him on the bench? Considering his height, i thought at times he might come in handy.

Go saints in '09!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

he could rest in a forward pocket, or he could go to the bench.

saintm
Club Player

Otiman wrote:Good looking, hey?

Yet to be convinced that they have recruited adequately to cover the loss of Aaron Hamill but I'll reserve my judgement until next season!! :D