Sydney recruits

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Sydney recruits

I asked a mate of mine who is a Sydney fanatic about our Sydney recruits and here is his take:

"Schneider and Dempster (plus fitness guru, that is a worry), Schneider should replace what's his name in the pocket. He doesn't have much aerobic capacity, is more a burst player. Could take over for 10 minutes from Ball in the midfield as Hayes can just run all day. Dempster is what I am most disappointed about, tall, athletic with a great turn of speed, can lock down players and take them on. Played well on Cousins in the 05 GF. Both good pickups, both premiership players, both young with experience. I reckon Dempster will be a star, he just couldn't get game time with Kennelly there."

Nee!
wallbanger
Club Player

Had a similar response from a Swan fanatic, who said that Dempster will be the better of the two. His take was that St.Kilda fans (and I include myself in this bracket) possibly overrate Schneider because he always plays well against St.Kilda, but in reality he is not as good as other sides rate him.

I think Schneider is just what was needed, so hopefully the change of club might iron out any short comings and give him a new lease on life. If Dempster comes good also and forms one part of a backline that includes Gram and Gilbert, suddenly we are getting a solid, running defensive unit together that could go places.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I too havea very good feeling about Dempster...

At first hearing of the trade I mainly thought it was just a bonus pick up......but am now starting to think that he could be a regular first 22 player. So that will mean that he wuld bea HUGE bonus.

As for Schneider....yes he may have been over-hyped....BUT he is a player of a type that we are very weak in....and so I think he is very good aquistion for us.

I think that having him up forward will ease the load on Miney....and provide us witha lot more small man nip and bite up forward.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Very good summary sRr, both should go alright with none of them being superstars, it's added youth to our list as well, youth that we know can play!!
We should get a fair bit of football out of these two, according to the sydney fans over at Bigfooty they see him as a potential forward flanker, they say he is creative, has a great kick and can get into the midfield a bit aswell...

So he could have been what we were searching for in a third tall (once Gehrig is gone), and he could also play as a shutdown player when up there because of how many dangerous half back flankers there are nowadays...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Both are 23 and are premiership players.

What more could you want !! Both of them will be handy players for us.

wallbanger
Club Player

I agree - I think they will both be great, but it is interesting that Swans supporters seem to think Dempster will be the better acquisition, whereas I think most St.Kilda supporters (including myself) would have the opinion that Schneider was the main man in the deal and Dempster just a bit of a bonus.

Has the makings of a very good deal for the club anyway - looking forward to seeing them both perform.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
Saints94
SS Life Member

For one of our Gellong recruits this is what Geelong fans had to say about Charlie Gardiner by the looks of who started the thread it looks like Armooo:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402778

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

its funny how sometimes the "steak knives" turn out the better option most people forget that luke mcpharlin came as the "steak knife" with the croad trade for the dockers pick 1 croad turned out to be a dud for Freo but mcpharlin has been a handy player for them for a while now

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I don't see Dempster playing ahead of Leigh Fisher, Jason Blake, Shane Birss or Raph Clarke if he's healthy. Dempster and Gardiner will probably start in the VFL and be ready in case of injuries.

Schneider said that Ross told him he'd play more of a midfield role. I expect him to play a similar role to Joey this year, running into the middle at centre bounces.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:its funny how sometimes the "steak knives" turn out the better option most people forget that luke mcpharlin came as the "steak knife" with the croad trade for the dockers pick 1 croad turned out to be a dud for Freo but mcpharlin has been a handy player for them for a while now

They held Hawthorn over the barrel of the No 1 pre-season pick for McPharlin. Hawthorn did rate him highly but got screwed over.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:I don't see Dempster playing ahead of Leigh Fisher, Jason Blake, Shane Birss or Raph Clarke if he's healthy. Dempster and Gardiner will probably start in the VFL and be ready in case of injuries.
I see him ahead of Leigh Fisher, and perhaps Birss.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
vacuous space wrote:I don't see Dempster playing ahead of Leigh Fisher, Jason Blake, Shane Birss or Raph Clarke if he's healthy. Dempster and Gardiner will probably start in the VFL and be ready in case of injuries.
I see him ahead of Leigh Fisher, and perhaps Birss.
agreed, to me was a little disappointing last year (compared to his previous year) maybe it was just the transition to a new coaching style, but to me Dempster is ahead of Leigh IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
RBnW
Club Player

Schnieder will give us 30 goals maybe more this year, and Dempster will surprise he can run play back and rebound or tag......he did play on Cuz in the 05 GF....and held him in the first half to 4 or 5 I think.......
Dempster is better that Birss by a long way and Raph will have to lift his game to get a start before him...

Our best is yet
to come......
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:Schnieder will give us 30 goals maybe more this year, and Dempster will surprise he can run play back and rebound or tag......he did play on Cuz in the 05 GF....and held him in the first half to 4 or 5 I think.......
Dempster is better that Birss by a long way and Raph will have to lift his game to get a start before him...
I've got the GF DVD at home (Jnr just love sport and buys them each year of late)

Anyway he didn't do that much as far as possessions go, but that's not the first point for a backman and some here seem to loose sight of this IMO..

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:I see him ahead of Leigh Fisher, and perhaps Birss.
What has Fisher done to drop in everyone's ratings so quickly?

In 2006 he came into the team and was a revelation. Won heaps of the ball at half back, lead our defence for contested possessions and was very effective at dishing it out to BJ, Gram and Chips.

This year he started off very well, but did a hammy and lost a bit of confidence after that, and was then moved to the midfield (where he isn't particularly suited to). He still contributed though and should be held in higher regard than Dempster, who has been in and out of Sydney's team and has never been more than a fringe player.

RBnW
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
RBnW wrote:Schnieder will give us 30 goals maybe more this year, and Dempster will surprise he can run play back and rebound or tag......he did play on Cuz in the 05 GF....and held him in the first half to 4 or 5 I think.......
I've got the GF DVD at home (Jnr just love sport and buys them each year of late)

Anyway he didn't do that much as far as possessions go, but that's not the first point for a backman and some here seem to loose sight of this IMO..
check if he (Demster) held Cuz to 4 or 5 and let us know...I was complimenting him I think he played a big role in the Swans flag and he is just 23 now...he might well be our best recruit this year...

Our best is yet
to come......
ben_fff
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
Otiman wrote:I see him ahead of Leigh Fisher, and perhaps Birss.
What has Fisher done to drop in everyone's ratings so quickly?

In 2006 he came into the team and was a revelation. Won heaps of the ball at half back, lead our defence for contested possessions and was very effective at dishing it out to BJ, Gram and Chips.

This year he started off very well, but did a hammy and lost a bit of confidence after that, and was then moved to the midfield (where he isn't particularly suited to). He still contributed though and should be held in higher regard than Dempster, who has been in and out of Sydney's team and has never been more than a fringe player.
Because he doesn't think before he uses the ball, he turns it over or passes off to a player with opposition maybe a metre away putting them in trouble.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

check if he (Demster) held Cuz to 4 or 5 and let us know...I was complimenting him I think he played a big role in the Swans flag and he is just 23 now...he might well be our best recruit this year...
Will do...

I have seen it a couple of times since we recruited both players and both didn't really seem to do that much, but I'll have another look...

It is pretty hard when you just look at the footage re defensive skills without being there as the coverage really does not show much of that, you would get more if you were there...

But I will have another look in anycase

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

ben_fff wrote:Because he doesn't think before he uses the ball, he turns it over or passes off to a player with opposition maybe a metre away putting them in trouble.
That is the greatest criticism Sydney fans have of Dempster. He panics under pressure and coughs up the ball. I've never seen that as a problem with Fisher though.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Dempster played on Embley in the 06GF, and Embley won the Norm Smith. Cousins wound up with 27 touches and was one of the best for WC in the loss in 05. To be fair, he got those jobs because he's usually a much better tagger than that. With that said, there's virtually no offensive side to his game - he averages 7.8 disposals per game over his career. I can't see him getting a game over guys like the ones I mentioned above. Those guys are much more complete players.

Yeah nah pleasing positive