A sad Christmas Tale

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintfreddy
Club Player

A sad Christmas Tale

This year my 15yo son really wanted one of the more modern Saints guernseys (predominately white one that they had this year). So, being diligent, I bought one off the club towards the end of the year and even went to the sale they had at the club and bought a second guernsey which was great (the thin stripped verticle one).

When he opened his presents the look of joy and excitement on his face were wonderful. He just loved them. This is where the tale however turns somewhat sad. I bought two size L guernseys for him (he normally wears something between a Small and Medium tee-shirt but likes his guernsey to be a bit more roomy). When he tried them on, they simply were far to snug. The poor kid (who really has fantastic manners) told me (at this stgae I was feeling rather devistated) don't worry, Dad, it's OK. But it was easy to see the real disappointment on his face.

I guess what leaves me sad, is how badly sized these guernseys were. Last year I picked up a Melbourne Storm size L guernsey for him and it was a fantastic fit. I know I can off load these Saints guernseys on Ebay, but I suspect getting him a 2XL size guernsey (which is really what's needed) is going to be bloody hard as everything has been sold out in the ones I want for him. What a shame that there seems to be such a difference between what one store thinks is a Large as compared to others.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Give the CLub a call when they get back from hols.....I'm sure they can help you out once you explain the Xmas pressie dilemma :-)

Its a common problem with clothing. I know myself that a store brand Large men's shirt from Myer is a good size and a half larger than the same size shirt from Colorado or one of the "trendier" brands

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

I'm only a Medium in normal T-Shirts but my St Kilda guernsey is an XL and it fits perfect.

Poor kid though..

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Thats such a shame. All clothing is like that unfortunately, you can never guarantee something will fit if its hasn't been tried on. Frustrating I know.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Nothing fits me so i go without :(

Huzzad
Club Player

It all went wrong once you bought him a Melbourne Storm jersey. Now the AFL hates you and knows when you order saints guernseys to wreck your order :P

Haha nah seriously I can never get the right one. First one i had was large, but was like 2 XL, more recently I got a medium which was alright, but a bit too snug.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

I'd say you have purchased an official guernsey, not a replica.

The official ones are smaller in size, so that they are a snug fit on the players (so they aren't hanging off them making them easier to get a hold of in a tackle)... Where as the replica ones are larger in size, so that they are able to be worn over shirts, jumpers etc.

They walk amongst us...

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:I'd say you have purchased an official guernsey, not a replica.

The official ones are smaller in size, so that they are a snug fit on the players (so they aren't hanging off them making them easier to get a hold of in a tackle)... Where as the replica ones are larger in size, so that they are able to be worn over shirts, jumpers etc.
yes.
i ordered a replica jumper when they were on sale for about $60, and i got a L. it was aprox 4million sizes to big for me, and then i went to the club shop and i got an official XL, and it is a perfect fit if i want to play a game in it but wouldnt fit over a big jumper or anything like that.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
GRAMophone
Club Player

How dissapointing saintfreddy. I also was amazed recently in buying my skinny 14 year old daughter a saints guernsey and finding that she needed a large for memory!! It might save lots of headaches if the club gave a few guidelines in their merchandise catalogues about this.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED