NAB cup 15th of Feb team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shaggy
Club Player

Nonsense.

It takes at least 2-3 games + for 99% of players to get back to their peak including Roo.

To play all season requires a player to play 25 games to win the premierhip. Does an extra 3 trial games really make that much difference if players play in the NAB cup?

MSG’s team is probably spot on but it also means we will again have a slow start to the season as Swans always do and as we did last year.
Its obvious RL uses the pre-season games to work out who from the fringe has stepped up over pre-season. But if the fringe don’t step up they will struggle to get another opportunity during the year which I am really against.

I would prefer more experimentation during the year and more of our elite players playing in the pre-season games.

I think we should give ourselves a chance to win the NAB cup with some experimentation rather than just tank it.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

just something to consider, when you get knocked out of the NAB Cup you then have to play the rest of your practice matches on grounds that are less than ideal, which will not help in the prevention of injuries

the more NAB Cup games we win, the more we will get to play on the Dome and MCG, and less on dodgy ground in Bendigo and Shepparton (or wherever they play them)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:the more NAB Cup games we win, the more we will get to play on the Dome and MCG, and less on dodgy ground in Bendigo and Shepparton (or wherever they play them)
I'm really not sure if the Dome would be any better than those rural grounds. And it is likely that a fair few of the NAB cup games will be played at places like Canberra, Darwin and the Gold Coast.

I don't think Lyon would be concerned about the grounds. Especially since he won't let our regulars eveer go 100% in a practice match.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

imo they should be going out and seeking to win every game of football they play.

Doesn't matter to me if it's pre-season or premiership season, winning breeds success.

casey scorp
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
The_Dud wrote:the more NAB Cup games we win, the more we will get to play on the Dome and MCG, and less on dodgy ground in Bendigo and Shepparton (or wherever they play them)
I'm really not sure if the Dome would be any better than those rural grounds. And it is likely that a fair few of the NAB cup games will be played at places like Canberra, Darwin and the Gold Coast.

I don't think Lyon would be concerned about the grounds. Especially since he won't let our regulars eveer go 100% in a practice match.
There's a NAB Challenge Series match at Casey Fields on 8 March for a couple of Melbourne teams knocked out of the NAB Cup by then. If the saints have been knocked out, hopefully we'll see them at casey Fields.

Huzzad
Club Player

I liked the mentality we had in 04, which was to win every game. And we did for 10 of them, plus every game and a cup in the pre season. I really don't think we need a besaid aurochs-like motto of "do our best." We have to be in it to win it. I am sure the boys are focused on winning too, but game plan and attitude is very crucial and if the scales are tilted, "do our best" can be translated to just competing if you honestly believe that is your best. Obviously we can't win everything, but that needs to be our focus, or drive and motivation. I am sick of fade outs and 2-quater contests.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:I liked the mentality we had in 04, which was to win every game. And we did for 10 of them, plus every game and a cup in the pre season. I really don't think we need a besaid aurochs-like motto of "do our best."
I completely agree. I'm sick of hearing how we are planning to gradually build up the team's fitness, how we don't want to rush anyone and that we did quite well considering the circumstances. I especially hate the line "we were competitive for 3 quarters, so in reality the performance wasn't too bad."

In the pre season I think we should play all regulars who have no injury concern and then let kids who have put in over the pre season fill the remaining spots. I'm sick of us picking which games we will try to win.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

My NAB Cup Team:

B: Howard, Gwilt, Baker
HB: Geary, Blake, Gilbert
C: Jones, McQualter, Birss
HF: C.Gardiner, Allen, Steven
F: Milne, M.Gardiner, McEvoy

Foll: van Rheenen, Armitage, Eddy
Int: Rix, Miles, Dempster, Haretuku, Chivers, Ferguson

Huzzad
Club Player

LTN16 wrote:My NAB Cup Team:

Id be very interested in seeing that team fielded. Albeit, I don't see it winning any games, but would be a great chance to get watch these players have a crack.

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
goodie
Club Player

Who would be captain? Milney? Bakes?

There are two suggestions I didn't think I'd ever say

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think the TEAM that will assemble at The Ted Whitten Bar at Livewire prior to the game will be "Almost" as important as the team that runs out on to the field :lol: :wink: .

I bags a Forward Pocket :lol:

No squabbling over who will be the HALF BACK FLANKER :roll: :wink: !!

yipper
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:I think the TEAM that will assemble at The Ted Whitten Bar at Livewire prior to the game will be "Almost" as important as the team that runs out on to the field :lol: :wink: .

Do you need an umpire??? A thirsty one at that!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

I will coach and am happy to sign a contract at three beers a game :)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

goodie wrote:

I reckon it would be either Baker or Blake. Blake would be a good chance because he finished top 10 in the B&F.

Huzzad
Club Player

LTN16 wrote:
goodie wrote:

I reckon it would be either Baker or Blake. Blake would be a good chance because he finished top 10 in the B&F.
Could be. Could even throw a curve ball and give it to Gilbert...it's only one game... Be interesting to see how he'd handle leadership role. Might learn some skills to take into the new season. But I think Blake and Baker would be the likely choices. My choice would be with Baker, who has rated in the B&F for a number of years and would have the experience and respect of the playing group.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:I will coach and am happy to sign a contract at three beers a game :)
with an extra bonus carton if you win 2 flags ???

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
Eastern wrote:I think the TEAM that will assemble at The Ted Whitten Bar at Livewire prior to the game will be "Almost" as important as the team that runs out on to the field :lol: :wink: .

Do you need an umpire??? A thirsty one at that!!
Depending on who turns up, we may need a referee, of the boxing/wrestling variety. And we all know that February can throw up some very thirsty weather !!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:Nonsense.

It takes at least 2-3 games + for 99% of players to get back to their peak including Roo.

To play all season requires a player to play 25 games to win the premierhip. Does an extra 3 trial games really make that much difference if players play in the NAB cup?

MSG’s team is probably spot on but it also means we will again have a slow start to the season as Swans always do and as we did last year.
Its obvious RL uses the pre-season games to work out who from the fringe has stepped up over pre-season. But if the fringe don’t step up they will struggle to get another opportunity during the year which I am really against.

I would prefer more experimentation during the year and more of our elite players playing in the pre-season games.

I think we should give ourselves a chance to win the NAB cup with some experimentation rather than just tank it.
Why would you want experimentation during a Premiership season when your trying to bed down game plans and get some team consistency going and when you KNOW what your elite level players are going to give you anyway?...Id hate to be compromising premiership points or performance to experiement "in season" and miss top 4 again by %.

All nice theories on how many "runs" a player needs to be at peak etc and I agree they need some game time thats pretty obvious - but Im dead against seeing Nick Rieowoldt played in every Nab Cup game to reach some pre-supposed "peak" level performance while Brad Howars is termed an 18 year development player....aka Grant Thomas development models....

Im also not interested in being March Champions and June duds - it really is a long time to stay up with your best out there and very few do it - how has Carlton won pre season comps in recent years????(cause all REAL sides know it for what it is).

Totally agree with Lyon - pre season IS where you find out who has stepped it up and who wants to be a player in the coming season - I dont agree with not giving any fringe players a run during the season proper - but Im also sure injury, suspension and form will and should allow enough rotational opportunities for those fringe players that demonstrate in the ressies that they are serious about playing AFL footy.

“Yeah….nah””
Solar
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Solar wrote:I will coach and am happy to sign a contract at three beers a game :)
I heard you like writing cheques young man, mate, pal. Mind I borrow a lazy million to buy a mansion worth of beer :)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
I heard you like writing cheques young man, mate, pal. Mind I borrow a lazy million to buy a mansion worth of beer :)
only if i can pressure you into signing a waiver to any claims of back pay once we give you the arse :lol:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:imo they should be going out and seeking to win every game of football they play.

Doesn't matter to me if it's pre-season or premiership season, winning breeds success.
not only that the prize money would help as well as the exposure from being shown on tv throughout the pre-season couldnt hurt the membership numbers either winning a few early games

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i can see both sides of it.

on the one hand we've had such a bad run with injuries that you'd be tempted to wrap them in cotton wool until the real stuff starts.

on the other hand, why not try to win the pre-season, too? they are fit young guys supposedly in prime physical condition. why not throw caution to the wind?

it's a dilemma.

trouble is the home and away season is already a gruelling marathon ... or has been for us, injury-wise, for quite a few years.

then again maybe we need to tempt fate, too, and be well and truly primed come round 1.

.... go into 2008 on a wave of confidence. bloody injuries

could someone put this to a poll. should we "tank" the pre-season cup?

i'd be interested in the result and i'd actually be happy to go with the majority.
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 04 Jan 2008 10:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote: on the other hand, why not try to win the pre-season, too? they are fit young guys supposedly in prime physical condition
By gee if they're not fit what the hell are they doing pre-season?
bigcarl wrote:trouble is the home and away season is already a gruelling marathon ... or has been for us, injury-wise, for quite a few years.
Hopefully with Misson and co on board this can be fixed. Doesnt help when you change fitness teams every year.
bigcarl wrote:then again geelong won both last year
Carlton won the NAB Cup.
bigcarl wrote:could someone put this to a poll. should we "tank" the pre-season cup?
Maybe someone should also put as a poll "Do St Kilda Supporters embrace mediocrity as a whole?"

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Im not sure if its a case of embracing mediocrity as a whole or embracing reality as a whole given our last 3 yrs injury performances.......from what Ive read Raph Clarke wasnt even in a position to tell Misson his 3k time trial times for the last few seasons and the club had stuff all records so you get the feeling we are coming from a long way back in this area...even Misson indicated the Swans latest and greatest fitness softeware is probably wasted on us at the minute so poor has our fitness staff/management been.

Yeah Misson might be the saviour but hes also just in the job.......

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

Carlton are not cheats. Cheats have far more honesty and integrity than Carlton.