kosi or fraser. who should be full forward?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont see that Kosi is a leading forward. He is more a stand and mark it type which doesnt work with the flooding.
Ahh, but Kosi's 198cm. It will take two defenders to stop him in a pack situation, leaving us with an extra player at the ground level.

And besides, now we've got Schneider - the ultimate flood-busting, 50m+ goal-kicking midfielder.

If we execute professionally and without the non-sense of early 2007, we could be extremely difficult to stop.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Lockett would have got most of his goals on the lead and even Brown gets most of his goals on the lead and I dont see that Kosi is a leading forward.
i can remember lockett getting lots of goals on the lead. but i can remember just as many times when he outbustled his opponent or split a pack and the ball stuck.

my preferred line-up would be roo chf, kosi ff, fraser fp. kosi and roo alternating. kosi just gives us a big marking target which we haven't had since the days of loewe and lockett.

there is a lot to be said for giving guys something to kick to. lockett used to make a very ordinary midfield look pretty good sometimes

but i'll go with whatever works

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:If we execute professionally and without the non-sense of early 2007, we could be extremely difficult to stop.
exactly. barring injuries or a totally stuffed game plan it is difficult to see us missing the top 4

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:G must play as the leading FF or not play at all.
didn't he give up that right when he "retired" a few months back?

fraser's "retirement" might be the best thing that ever happened to us because it forced us to think laterally about how we were going to put a score on the board this season without him.

still, it's nice to have him back. a season (or two) in the forward pocket alongside kosi won't do any harm to the big champion's ego i wouldn't think. he's a valued star and it is no real sledge on him

will take enormous pressure off him in reality and it's win\win for us

promises were probably made to kosi during fraser's "retirement" so it will be interesting to see how it pans out. wouldn't want to upset either kosi or fraser come to think of it.

i'm looking forward to it and it is good to have competition for places.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:But now I see Gehrig's return as an opportunity for us to use him cleverly, and stretch opposition defences - by using him as our third tall forward
exactly. surely there is some way that a forward line containing roo, kosi and fraser could be made to work. it's not "rocket surgery" ffs

perhaps RL will have to put a few big prima donnas' noses out of joint to get it to function as a unit

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

with fraser "retired" i reckon RL promised kosi they'd settle him in at ff, recruiting stephen king to allow this to happen.

now fraser is back on the scene it leaves the coach in an embarrassing predicament.

have two blokes been promised full-forward? i expect RL will explain the situation soon

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
He did give up this right, but as you point out below:
fraser's "retirement" might be the best thing that ever happened to us because it forced us to think laterally about how we were going to put a score on the board this season without him.
...it could well be a blessing in disguise.
still, it's nice to have him back. a season (or two) in the forward pocket alongside kosi won't do any harm to the big champion's ego i wouldn't think. he's a valued star and it is no real sledge on him

That's all she wrote for mine.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

promises were probably made to kosi during fraser's "retirement" so it will be interesting to see how it pans out. wouldn't want to upset either kosi or fraser come to think of it.

He didnt give up his right when he retired, he never had a right to the FF spot. He got it because he was and still is the best for the FF spot. He is a leading player so he needs space. A FP has much less space to work with. As I said FF or not at all. By the way I dont Kosi would give a dam about not being FF if anything he would love to be the number 1 ruckman but I dont think that will happen either.

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

I'd be playing Kosi at CHF with Roo on the half forward flank with a roaming licence and the G at FF. The other flanker would be X or Charlie Gardiner with Milne and Schnieder in the pockets. This would give us a very flexible forward half.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: if anything he would love to be the number 1 ruckman but I dont think that will happen either.
bit sad if that's true but sometimes you have to take one for the team

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:As I said FF or not at all
or what? he'll take his bat and ball and go home? prima donna bub bub bub.

well call him full-forward. just put kosi beside him as the real spearhead
and give our guys a chance to kick long to a marking contest for once

but i guess it depends what ross has promised for each of them.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Kosi's not THAT good a ruckman. There, I said it. His size is a problem against blokes of 202cm+.

He's not that mobile either; more than enough for an FF, but not enough for a CHB.

His remaining natural attributes suggest he's most apt as a full-time forward, and very occasional ruck.

And this talk of Gehrig "FF or bust" is ridiculous. He's only good enough to be a third tall these days, let's be honest. Sure, he carves up rubbish, but he gets destroyed time and again by half-decent defenders.

Riewoldt CHF, Kosi FF, Gehrig as 3rd tall. Enough said.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Kosi's not THAT good a ruckman. There, I said it. His size is a problem against blokes of 202cm+.

He's not that mobile either; more than enough for an FF, but not enough for a CHB.

His remaining natural attributes suggest he's most apt as a full-time forward, and very occasional ruck.

And this talk of Gehrig "FF or bust" is ridiculous. He's only good enough to be a third tall these days, let's be honest. Sure, he carves up rubbish, but he gets destroyed time and again by half-decent defenders.

Riewoldt CHF, Kosi FF, Gehrig as 3rd tall. Enough said.
I agree G can be the third tall but that must be at FF because that is where he plays his best. Kosi can play in a various positions, G cannot. We must do what will help the Saints the most and IMO it is G at FF.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Koschitzke; Gehrig should be a third tall.

Gehrig gets murdered by good defenders. If he takes the third best tall defender, he might be a chance.
Positions mean JACK as far as their opponents are concerned...

Would it really matter if Kosi was FF and G-Train pocket????

Defenders are assigned to an opponent not a position...

The position of Kosi really depends on our ruck status, if King and Gards are both fine and can play out the season, yeah pocket or FF...

IF not resting FP or bench is most likely IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Koschitzke; Gehrig should be a third tall.

Gehrig gets murdered by good defenders. If he takes the third best tall defender, he might be a chance.
Positions mean JACK as far as their opponents are concerned...

Would it really matter if Kosi was FF and G-Train pocket????

Defenders are assigned to an opponent not a position...

The position of Kosi really depends on our ruck status, if King and Gards are both fine and can play out the season, yeah pocket or FF...

IF not resting FP or bench is most likely IMO
I still think that a real FF must start from the goal square as there is then more space. He canned be names FB for all I care as long as he has room to lead both sides of the ground.

Huzzad
Club Player

In a word: Fraser.

In a few more words, we were all panicing a few months ago wondering what we would do without Gehrig, with soem suggesting Kosi, but the general concensus was that we had litle options. Now we have Fraser back, and most people want him in other positions....Go figure i guess.

I still question Kosi's kicking accuracy. Missed some dead-eyes this year and I don't think he has the confidence to lead at FF. Sure, he had a great game agaisnt the Eagles, but I can't think of many other games where he proved he would be a consistant and accurate forward. I'd love to see him down there, but Kosi needs time to develop. he is not going to turn into a hero over night. Let's get him forward for sure, but I think he should play a roaming fowrad option and be the 3rd tall if anything.

We have a talented FF machine in the G-Train, who kicked 59 for the year, a great effort. I remember when Barry Hall kicked 40 for us only a few years ago and he was our top scorer. Let's not forget Fraser was the last player to kick 100 goals. Yes, he can be inconcistant and have ugly days. But they are few and usually far between. Plus it is a bit hard to kick goals when your team members are not kicking it to you. He is a monster of a player and an amazing kick. Look what he did to Freemantle, and the first Richmond game. I have no doubt he can do that again.

Kosi's time will come...it is just not this year. We need Frase leading out of full forward, not playing back-up. Kosi has the altheticism to play around the ground so lets keep using him as a forward/utility and let him learn the art of FF under the G-Train. Hopefully with King and less injuries, Kosi will get game time and time up forward. He took some important marks for us down back and on the wing and in 08, I'd love to see Roo and Kosi leading out of half-forward to either wing...what a damanging attack we could have when they would have to double-team two big-marking Half-Forwards. It also provides us with an option other than "kick it to roo and hope for the best."

Anyway, those were my 2 cents. With our luck though, Frase willl probably be injured at one point and Kosi will have his time to have another crack. Until then, let's go with what wins us games and has been proven time and time again. If I had to chose between Frase and Kosi kicking at goal, I'd go with Frase everytime. He has the experience and Kosi still has a case of the yips. Let's kneed them out this season and stick with what we can do, build his confidence, give him some time upfront and if frase retires at the end of this year, which would not surprise me, Kosi will be groomed for the roll full time.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
hAyES
Club Player

Probably Fraser because he's pretty much useless at any other spot. If not FF then he can play as a decoy forward, taking the number 1 defender out of it.

Almost all of it depends on King and Gardiner though. If they're fit and ready to go then that leaves us with even more options.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
thanks for that fireman i was looking for it on youtube the other day.

that second mark of kosi's was unbelievable. he just threw himself upwards and backwards

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
thanks for that fireman i was looking for it on youtube the other day.

that second mark of kosi's was unbelievable. he just threw himself upwards and backwards
and watch the hand on his right shoulder pulling him down and still took the grab.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

He didnt give up his right when he retired, he never had a right to the FF spot. He got it because he was and still is the best for the FF spot. He is a leading player so he needs space. A FP has much less space to work with. As I said FF or not at all. By the way I dont Kosi would give a dam about not being FF if anything he would love to be the number 1 ruckman but I dont think that will happen either.
Not what Ive heard - id heard Kosi was actually not exactly over the moon to be not getting a decent run at FF this year as he was looking forward to it.

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Not what Ive heard - id heard Kosi was actually not exactly over the moon to be not getting a decent run at FF this year as he was looking forward to it.
I reckon he knows he will have enough work to shoulder without worrying about that.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
I reckon he knows he will have enough work to shoulder without worrying about that.
Only what I heard...

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Only what I heard...
Do you believe what you heard?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Only what I heard...
Do you believe what you heard?
The sauce is decent....the idea not out of the question so probably not.
Still....slow news day.

“Yeah….nah””