kosi or fraser. who should be full forward?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:Not what Ive heard - id heard Kosi was actually not exactly over the moon to be not getting a decent run at FF this year as he was looking forward to it.
do you think that role might have been promised him during fraser's "retirement" leaving the coach in an embarrassing situation once fraser changed his mind?
Dunno Carl its plausible - Lyon has been gunning for new ruckman with King and Gardiner AND leaving Rix on the list AND recruiting Mcevoy? AND still having Van Reehan......I'm tipping he doesnt see Kosi as a "ruckman" (certainly not the top echelon of ruck in the AFL the previous coaching oracle was spinning to save a red face for not having a ruckman...)and I agree and dont think he is (not that effective tap work IMO...and maybe a tad small?)

I feel a tad for Kosi, aside from injury, hes been shoved from pillar to post re position - unlike Riewoldt whose been relatively stable at CHF and allowed to grow into it (as he should be). I guess I was just looking forward this year to seeing Kos settle in the square (more than happy to have Frase back......but "good Frase" not "evil Frase" whose a liability on the field in this state), start to time his leads, work in with Riewoldt etc and "mix" our forward line up for the opposition a bit. IMO we certainly became predictable in that space over the last few seasons...(major reason why Im wrapt to also have Sneider alongside Milne......now if we can just find a goal kicking half fwd option....hello Brendon.... :wink: )..and get a midfield goal or 10....

IMO Kosi IS a natural contested marking fwd (can stint ruck and push back if needed so hes versatile) but I truly believe IF he gets a shot at settling there, working on his leading/kicking etc etc its possible he could have the effect on a game similar to that of Jonathon Browne in pack situations (we saw him absolutely dominant - more so than Riewoldt has been when hes been on song IMO - in that 4 game stint which yielded 11 Brownlow votes).....BUT he needs to do it with some consistency and for that he needs a position...not as a "bitsa" ruckman/"swingman".
I am not sure the FF position was offered to Kosi after G retired as the year had finished and the coach would hardly had seen the players and in any way positions arent usually promised especially to a player who loves the the ruck position. Having said that Kosi will play forward this year as a roaming forward which IMO is his best position as he hasnt got the pace to be a true FF like G.
Thats half the problem for Kosi IMO - he ends up being a "roaming" fwd or a stop gap ruckman when King/Gardiner cant make it.
At a Bulldogs hed be the No 1 fwd option I have no doubt - no hes not super quick on the lead aka Gehrig but I put his pace down as equivalent to J Brownes (certainly Nths fwd whose name escapes me??) and what he lacks in speed he more than makes up for in contested marking (shytes on the A Roccas of the world here) - which IMO is a rare commodity in todays game. Plenty of "lead" up type options...not many who are 1 grab which Kos is.

Play him closer to goal - improve his leading - and I'd be very happy with him as a FF BUT just give him a position he can at least make his own...Id heard he was frustrated at that.....

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thats half the problem for Kosi IMO - he ends up being a "roaming" fwd or a stop gap ruckman when King/Gardiner cant make it

he's going to be too integral to us kicking winning scores to use as a ruck fill in. pillar to post is right.

if king or gardi fall over we'd be better served using rix or blake in there than again asking kosi to fill a hole.

he deserves to be settled in somewhere rather than shunted around the whole time

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
if king or gardi fall over we'd be better served using rix or blake in there than again asking kosi to fill a hole.

he deserves to be settled in somewhere rather than shunted around the whole time
What is Chad Cornes' role?

Or Adam Goodes?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:What is Chad Cornes' role? Or Adam Goodes?
i just think kosi's too important to a forward line that failed to kick winning scores last season.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

What is Chad Cornes' role?

Or Adam Goodes?
Or even Matthew Loyds or Fevolas...I mean if we arent comparing apples why bother?

Goodes type comparison to that of Kosi in terms of a role tells you nothing....Riewoldt is mobile enough to play more than CHF....yet hes played there weekly...?

Some positions on the ground are still valid in the modern game - we arent all utilities yet...

“Yeah….nah””
ben_fff
Club Player

I don;t understand why people are writing off Frase, our delivery into the forward line was the worst it's been since 2003, his kicking and pace are still at their best if he gets fully fit and we get some potent kicking into the forward line I could easily imagine him kicking 70+ goals.

I'd play Kosi from a pocket and keep him deep, alternating him with Riewoldt.

HALF FORWARD
X Clarke/Dal Santo || Riewoldt/Koschitzke || Schneider
FORWARD
Milne || Gehrig || Kosichtizke/Riewoldt

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i'm not writing him off. i think he'll still be a valuable contributor and both he and riewoldt will benefit from having kosi there full-time.

gives us the option of going the long bomb towards kosi rather than trying always to find roo or g laces up.

it's all about spreading the workload and making sure we again aren't too reliant on too few.

given reasonable quick and direct delivery it would be difficult for anyone to keep this type of forward line to a losing score

gilbert/bj riewoldt dal/schneider
milne koschitzke gehrig
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 16 Jan 2008 1:42am, edited 1 time in total.

ben_fff
Club Player

Most teams have predictable forward lines, it's just a matter of the midfield chipping in to add about more accountability all over the ground.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:What is Chad Cornes' role? Or Adam Goodes?
i just think kosi's too important to a forward line that failed to kick winning scores last season.
I won't go through it again, but as I've said before don't think Kosi is a good forward.

He has played his best footy as a utility. People are getting confused between him being unfit and injured, and not being able to settle into a position.

Also, I don't believe it was out lack of forwards that kept us the lowest scoring side in the comp. It was coaching. We had no structure and either no plan, or no ability to carry it out. Our midfield and forward lines did not function last year.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Also, I don't believe it was out lack of forwards that kept us the lowest scoring side in the comp. It was coaching. We had no structure and either no plan, or no ability to carry it out. Our midfield and forward lines did not function last year.
well it looks like there's a plan this year and kosi forward will be part of it. i applaud it.

anything that will break down our reliance on roo, fraser and milne in kicking a winning score

chuck in schneider and bj or gilbert or dal and we're starting to have a fairly dangerous looking forward six.

move it in quickly and directly to these guys and it ought to be like shooting fish in a barrel

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Also, I don't believe it was out lack of forwards that kept us the lowest scoring side in the comp. It was coaching. We had no structure and either no plan, or no ability to carry it out. Our midfield and forward lines did not function last year.
well it looks like there's a plan this year and kosi forward will be part of it. i applaud it.

anything that will break down our reliance on roo, fraser and milne in kicking a winning score

chuck in schneider and bj or gilbert or dal and we're starting to have a fairly dangerous looking forward six.

move it in quickly and directly to these guys and it ought to be like shooting fish in a barrel
Your spot on Carl - ofcourse with a NEW coach NEW game plan the 'execution' of plans etc is going to take time to become second nature which it needs to be in all great sides - they dont appear "well drilled" in year 1.

“Yeah….nah””