What do you want from a St. Kilda Board?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Is Westaway our lucky rabbits foot??????

He is obviouslya talented operator......but all the cards just seem to be falling his way at present.

ie with Jeld-Wen I note that the original comment was that Jeld-Wen approached the Saints....and not vice-versa. Still that had to be landed (remember AF too.....and the scorn he copped for his large Age Ad...maybe it worked???)

There is a lot to be said for being in the right place at the right......but it is also true that in te LONG term that you make your own luck.

Westaway did not build his business by luck alone...

But he seems to have arrived at the Saints at a fortuitous time.....lets hope that he can leverage off his luck with talent and committment to bring a Premiership home.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Peanut
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Is Westaway our lucky rabbits foot??????

... Westaway did not build his business by luck alone... he seems to have arrived at the Saints at a fortuitous time.....lets hope that he can leverage off his luck with talent and committment to bring a Premiership home.
Well ... time will test the board change ... we were told (and some of us believed) that the club was losing staff and were grossly underfunded amongst other things. Nevertheless, as with all successes and failures there are usually many factors involved. The RB/GT compliment brought us to a certain point and the GW/NB and Co board have the job to take us the next step ...

We can only observe, hope, dream, complain and praise as required.

We are always being told that a successful club requires an excellent squad that is well managed - a good run with the fixture - and a lot of luck.

The CEO and Board must create all of that for us, including the luck.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I must admit that one thing I like so far....is the lack of fuss...and drama since the change.

On the admin side...not as sexy as the footy side....there appear to have been quite a few positive staff moves, positions advertised and I dare say appoimnents made,,,,,,and I dare say as The Peanut alludes to a much happier staff crew as well.

karnak
Club Player

"It's better to be lucky than good."

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well I am hoping for lucky and good :wink:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Forget the board.

It's Archie Fraser we should be thanking.
Do elaborate on why.

And in addition, why praise him specifically after the board change, not before - when he came in for heavy criticism? Have conditions been made more favourable for him, or has he pulled his finger out?

Be interested to hear it, OWTS.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

Do elaborate on why.

And in addition, why praise him specifically after the board change, not before - when he came in for heavy criticism? Have conditions been made more favourable for him, or has he pulled his finger out?

It is possible/probable that we will never know whether Archie was supressed by the previous Board or not. He is the one constant between to old & new Boards.

There has been the Frankston deal, staff morale-quality-numbers and probably heaps of other stuff that we don't know about, so he has quite a few runs on the board.

There have been many who have doubted/criticised Archie in the past(myself included). I don't think we can possible accurately assess his performance for another 12-18 months. Let's just wait and see for now !!

linz
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Well I am hoping for lucky and good :wink:
If you're good and more importantly persistant; Luck always follows.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
It is possible/probable that we will never know whether Archie was supressed by the previous Board or not. He is the one constant between to old & new Boards.

!!
I think it is more that much of what has occurred since FF came in which was credited by many as instant FF successes were in fact projects that had obviously had to have been worked on and in progress for a while.....

Archie as the CEO would have been the main guy coordinating and organising things....

The FF Board may well be providing a more supportive environment for AF....and this may have sped upa few things.......and in terms of increased admin staffing created new opportunities...

Now AF may not be the AFL's best CEO...but conversely he is not a dud either.

How good he is...I agree...will be more evident in a year or so.

If you want a conspiracy theory consider this (which is pure speculation):
*AF is appointed at the club.
*He was put in to shape up the club and increase its success
*However he looks around after initially trying progress what was there......and decides that part of what is holding us back is

- a coach who is a control freak and who has his fingers in too many pies with the result that all pies are spoiled

- a Board which is fractured and distracted by too many things and locked in a mindset of survival and minimising costs rather than seeking growth

AF engineers first the departure of the coach that was preventing a modern football structure from being put in place (ie Drain was meant to have been put in place in GTs reign, but he would not have it......and Drain is now in place)....and then engineers a more supportive Board and one that would be more focussed on growth and deploying increased resources..

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

The previous board were less than supportive of our CEO ...
saintsRrising wrote:Now AF may not be the AFL's best CEO...but conversely he is not a dud either.
Not sure about this.

He's one of the most qualified (maybe the most qualified) in a business sense of all the AFL CEO's.

And so far he's done everything you could have asked in the space of a year and a half.

Football mightn't be his background, but like all good leaders he has surrounded himself with quality people who do understand the game (Drain and Lyon).

He's setting us up perfectly, on and off the field, for long term sustainability.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

Do elaborate on why.

When things change, other things come to light ...

IMO conditions are now far more favourable for a professional at the St Kilda FC than they were.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
yipper
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Do elaborate on why.

IMO conditions are now far more favourable for a professional at the St Kilda FC than they were.
Yep. Spot on.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:The previous board were less than supportive of our CEO ...
saintsRrising wrote:Now AF may not be the AFL's best CEO...but conversely he is not a dud either.
Not sure about this.

He's one of the most qualified (maybe the most qualified) in a business sense of all the AFL CEO's.

And so far he's done everything you could have asked in the space of a year and a half.

Football mightn't be his background, but like all good leaders he has surrounded himself with quality people who do understand the game (Drain and Lyon).

He's setting us up perfectly, on and off the field, for long term sustainability.
It was not meant to be a negative comment...more that even if one did not rate him highly that he should not be rated lowly....

For the moment there are other CEOs that can make a better claim to be the AFLs best...ie Cook.

This is also bye the way not a negative comment on AF.....just an acknowledgement that Cook is a very very good operator.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Well I am hoping for lucky and good :wink:
If you're good and more importantly persistant; Luck always follows.
yeah but lucky is easier... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

Do elaborate on why.

I dont buy the "trust me.......things are more favourable" stuff at all - Butters Board appointed AF that must be remembered. It must also be remembered that he was to be crucified prior to the Board change and was ridiculed by many on here as a dud......now hes the saviour who single handedly got us Ross Lyon (Butters) Drain (Board - who had tried previously also from all reports but Grants belief cloud got in the way)

Are we referring to the departure of Sheldon et al as the now improved "conditions"?

“Yeah….nah””
Quixote
SS Life Member

The goals of this board at this stage in time should be oh so simple -

Long-term stability, sustainability and success.

With these three things in place, we'll all be smiling.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

News of our Grand Final Win.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Do elaborate on why.

I dont buy the "trust me.......things are more favourable" stuff at all - Butters Board appointed AF that must be remembered. It must also be remembered that he was to be crucified prior to the Board change and was ridiculed by many on here as a dud......now hes the saviour who single handedly got us Ross Lyon (Butters) Drain (Board - who had tried previously also from all reports but Grants belief cloud got in the way)

Are we referring to the departure of Sheldon et al as the now improved "conditions"?
Things are more favourable. I don't really care whether you buy it or not.

Sheldon? Pfft.

Improved conditions = new administration.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Do elaborate on why.

Things are more favourable. I don't really care whether you buy it or not.

Sheldon? Pfft.

Improved conditions = new administration.
If you dont care what my thoughts are then why bother with the childlike reponse?....what to tell me that "you dont care that I dont care cause you dont care"..... :roll: : :P shock:

grow up.

pfft. :roll:

By the way...while you aint caring....whats the "improved conditions" the new administration is feted as delivering?

“Yeah….nah””
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Archie's got a long, long way to go in my eyes.

His tenure under RB was punctuated by a string of unusual calls; I don't know if RB can be held solely responsible for all of these.

Give him another 12 months, which takes him to 2½ years. If he kicks on, keep him, but if he doesn't, I'd suggest his position is worthy of the same scrutiny he's reportedly given others. I think that's fair.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

RBnW
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Archie's got a long, long way to go in my eyes.

His tenure under RB was punctuated by a string of unusual calls; I don't know if RB can be held solely responsible for all of these.

Give him another 12 months, which takes him to 2½ years. If he kicks on, keep him, but if he doesn't, I'd suggest his position is worthy of the same scrutiny he's reportedly given others. I think that's fair.
Thank god we dont all look through your eyes.....have you ever worked in a business or a comapany of any size....to know what goes on.....from your comments I doubt you have.....if he wasnt that good he wouldnt be able to attract good people to the club.....over the past few months he has gotten rid of the duds....like Sheldon and replaced them with Drain and must have been involved in getting Misson, Mulkearns, Barbour, Wallace, new Commercial head and communications head in place,.....he also must have been a big part of helping us all get rid of the Butters board.....all of which is for the better....he secured our future and an assett at Frankston, signed a new major sponsor for 3 years and has kept us out of the papers and headlines.....yes lets give him another year and then get someone else in.....based on what.....you have know idea.....we will be lucky to keep him........he is obviously demanding and doesnt put up with duds....good succesful businesses need good people and they need strong leadership......There will be other clubs looking at what has happened at the saints and saying wow....they have got thier act together as a club in a short space of time.....feedback I get from the inside is that it is in very good shape across the whole club..... :D :D

Our best is yet
to come......
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Spot on.

We will be very lucky to keep Archie.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

If I was Rolf Harris I would want it to wobble a bit :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Archie's got a long, long way to go in my eyes.

Thank god we dont all look through your eyes.....have you ever worked in a business or a comapany of any size....to know what goes on.....from your comments I doubt you have.....if he wasnt that good he wouldnt be able to attract good people to the club.....over the past few months he has gotten rid of the duds....like Sheldon and replaced them with Drain and must have been involved in getting Misson, Mulkearns, Barbour, Wallace, new Commercial head and communications head in place,.....he also must have been a big part of helping us all get rid of the Butters board.....all of which is for the better....he secured our future and an assett at Frankston, signed a new major sponsor for 3 years and has kept us out of the papers and headlines.....yes lets give him another year and then get someone else in.....based on what.....you have know idea.....we will be lucky to keep him........he is obviously demanding and doesnt put up with duds....good succesful businesses need good people and they need strong leadership......There will be other clubs looking at what has happened at the saints and saying wow....they have got thier act together as a club in a short space of time.....feedback I get from the inside is that it is in very good shape across the whole club..... :D :D
If he had anything to do with getting rid of the other board then that is a disgrace. Would I get from inside is that a few are scared of their position.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Why would it be a disgrace plugger66?

People would only be scared of their positions under Archie if they weren't acting professionally and meeting his standards.