Which Saints player is your rough diamond????????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Which Saints player is your rough diamond????????

One of the things about being a footy fan is that we all have a player or two who we see more in than other fans do....

Whether he be a young recruit, a flawed player, a player from another club or someone who has been at the club for a while that has not quite made it.

It is one of the fans great joys to watch a player bloom and develop.....and is alos is ingrained in most Aiussies to give the "battler" a go.

We all have a player or two that we see more in....that others just don't seem to get or fully appreciate...well at least in "our eyes" anyway.

We might see them as a future star...or we might see them as just being part of the 22 as a GOP.

Some end up "making it"....some never do.

I remember wen I was younger watching Con Gorozidis and thinking that he would be the next star...but alas not.

In recent years I hitched my wagon to Fiora when he joined the club and it was personally very satisfying to see his confidence rise last year and him become aregular player.

I remember Gram struggling at first and Riccardo his No1 fan defending him against all comers...

Currently I have a bit ofa soft spot for Clint Jones and hope he makes it, but don't know if he can...

So which player is the one that you see more in than most Saints fans do????
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 25 Jan 2008 9:22am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
killa_gram
Club Player

Obviously saying Harvey is out? :wink:

For me Schneids and big Rixy.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I have a slightly different interprutation of what "ROUGH DIAMOND" means. My version is someone who is not silky smooth but gets the job done.

For that reason I nominate SAM GILBERT !!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I generally pick a low ranked player from each years draft to follow through their careers.

05/06 - Justin Sweeney (now James Gwilt)
06/07 - Robert Eddy
07/08 - Eljay Connors/Luke Miles

The Peanut
Club Player

Chipping around the rough edges of young Clinton's foot skills and game day confidence would improve his value quite dramatically, but where I come from the meaning of 'A ROUGH DIAMOND' is someone like cranny pete or rogerwa :wink: . Perhaps I fall into that catagory too but I doubt that any resemblence of a diamond would appear in the end - no matter how good the diamond cutter is. :D

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Fergs for me...

:wink:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

raph

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:For that reason I nominate SAM GILBERT !!
As as I opened this thread, I immediately envisaged it turning into a another Sam Gilbert "oh he's a bit unusual but what a talent" pumping up thread.

Now that Eastern has played captain obivous, do try to think of someone else.

I reckon Geary could be the pick.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I called Joey after the very first intra-club game he played - I had to wait a while but he finally came through.

Called Sam Gilbert after his first couple of senior games - looks like this will be his year.

Although he's established, I'm still waiting for Leigh Fisher to step up another notch.

Raph was a top 10 pick so not really a rough diamond as such - but one that I still have high hopes for.

Cant comment on the new boys or rookies until I see them in the NAB cup.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I reckon Geary could be the pick.
I don't think I'd describe Geary as a rough diamond. He doesn't seem to have any real flaws in his game and seems to be highly rated by anyone who saw him play at Casey.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

raphael. cops a fair bit of criticism on here, some of it justifiable. still think there's something there though.

used to be ts40. was upset when he got the chop

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote: where I come from the meaning of 'A ROUGH DIAMOND' is someone like rogerwa :wink: .
That will get back :lol: :roll: :wink: !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:raphael. cops a fair bit of criticism on here, some of it justifiable. still think there's something there though.

used to be ts40. was upset when he got the chop
It's quite easy to agree with you on this one, bigcarl !!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

goddard - ive supported him and his aggression 100% regardless...even in his real young days...

the man himself mr michael gardiner...mg...the big unit....the big show...i just hope he gets out on the field so i dont have a rather large amount of egg on my face after talking him up big time and having him as my avatar thingy for such a long time

oh and im a newly formed fergs fan as he is such a nice guy coupled with the amazing amount of extra pre-season work he has been doing

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Attard, love the guy...

I also don't mind Blake... there it's out in the open, feel free to flame away :wink:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
esaint66
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:Attard, love the guy...

yeh im right with you other clubs fans wouldnt notice him because hes one of those players that doesnt win much of the ball but stops his player from getting it and you only really notice players like him if your live and you can see the whole ground.

milney044
Club Player

i was a big fan of fergus watts and now look forward to jarryd allen's progress.
i'll also keep an eye on van rheenen

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Definately Gwilt for me. Plenty of reasons why he probably won't make it, but IMO, the talent is there that if he hits the opportunity at a moment while his confidence is high, he could be an AFLer at just about any position.

Attard is definately a hard luck case to be back in the rough diamond basket after he'd brushed up pretty well.

And I can't believe he needs to be added, but Raph definately has the toolbox for big things. I don't even see him as rough, distinctly unpolished, but definately a diamond.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:

yeh im right with you other clubs fans wouldnt notice him because hes one of those players that doesnt win much of the ball but stops his player from getting it and you only really notice players like him if your live and you can see the whole ground.
What is a true shame is he actually seemed liike he was going to start progressing and start winning some of his own ball aswell as shutting down the opposition befor his knee...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
saint edward wrote:

What is a true shame is he actually seemed liike he was going to start progressing and start winning some of his own ball aswell as shutting down the opposition befor his knee...
love his type, you can slot him in as a back pocket stopper and forget about the oppositions best small forward. Has been a position we have cried out for in the past 5 years

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Dazvolt
Club Player

mine is milney, loved watching him play in his 1st season as a rookie.
Have mate who is richmond and another mate who is a blue fan and they nominated krakour and houlihan the same time i jumped on milney.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
evertonfc wrote:I reckon Geary could be the pick.
I don't think I'd describe Geary as a rough diamond. He doesn't seem to have any real flaws in his game and seems to be highly rated by anyone who saw him play at Casey.
He hasn't played a single senior game and didn't even go in the national draft.

He qualifies without a shadow of doubt.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

sasaint
Club Player

My 2008 roughie is Geary and I hope he tears the competition apart. Just to wet the appetite of some of the fans, here is an edited version of his 2007 Prospectus writeup
Geary won the Bendigo TAC Cup B&F in 2006 stamping himself as one of the competitions elite ball winners. From rounds 8-14 he ranked #1 in the TAC Cup disposals, uncontested possessions, handball receives and inside 50s. He also ranked 2nd in score assists in that time and over the course of the season he had the most score assists of any midfielder.
:D

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

BJ always holds a special spot for me ive loved the way he gos about it from day 1 even when ppl were baging him as a dud no.1 pick

im always on the WA boys bandwagon CJ, gardi and Miles

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
iceman
Club Player

Mine was always Gram, saw him play for Springvale years ago, and I knew he was going to make it. When he played his first game for St. Kilda I said to my best mate 'this blokes gonna be a gun' he just laughed at me, but now actually rates gram pretty highly.

Since seeing Gram make I have turned my attention to Ferguson, similar mould but just hasn't been able to get a look in when Maxi, Maguire, Clarke brothers etc. are fit.

He deserves to be in the best 22 somewhere, I hust hope it ends up being at St. Kilda!