FRANKSTON DEAL NOT DONE YET

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

casey scorp
Club Player

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:In response to caseyscorp, has he actually been down there to look at the ground.
Actually on quite a few occasions.
GeorgeYoung27 wrote:While there is no carpark like Casey (which is too small for big games anyway)
The Saints aren't playing games at Frankston - it's a training & admin complex. There is heaps of land for additional parking at Casey Fields, and I think you'd find that Casey Council would have built the extra 80 odd spaces which would have doubled up on Scorpions match days as extra parking.
GeorgeYoung27 wrote:there is plenty of parking around the ground, the park opposite and in the surrounding streets (much like Moorabbin in the old days).
In the words of John McEnroe - "You can notbe serious"
GeorgeYoung27 wrote:Also I was really surprised how much room there actually is between the goals and the fence at the beach end of the ground where they are building the training facilities.
A highly valued local view line through the park to the sea.
GeorgeYoung27 wrote:I think the main issue is the small block of land where they have to build the admin center which I believe also has to contain parking for all admin staff and visitors. It is really quite small.
It's 1,000 sq metres (1/4 acre), to accommodate a 1,200 sq metre office and around 40 carparking spaces. Basement parking, multi-storey. At least the height limit for that building is 20 metres. Only problem will be paying for such a building!

jezza
Club Player

Frankston

Casey just get on with it. The deal has been done,it can't be changed,move on and enjoy your last years watching the Casey Scorps beforE they becomE the the Frankston Saints.

iceman
Club Player

Casey scorps knowledge should be appreciated, he knows more about it then most of us, and is pointing out some hurdles that are going to pop up along the way.

Remember he is a St. Kilda supporter and wants what is the best for them as much as anyone, but just because his opinion differs, is no reason for him to 'get over it'.

he is simply letting people know how this works, I value as his knowledge, and he knows much more about the intricacies of the situation. You don't have to agree, but it's good to know amd hear.

casey scorp
Club Player

Jezza, it’s not me that needs to get on with it – it’s the Saints and the Frankston Council.

Let’s hope that something happens one way or the other soon. I want to see an outcome for St Kilda – not have the club caught in a no mans land between Linton Street (where it seems they’ve burned their bridges with Kingston Council) and Frankston Park (where the problems are mounting). But then again, maybe Casey Fields might still be available (and with its permit already in place) unless the space has been allocated for another purpose.

Everyone knows that a deal has been done, but the problem is it hasn’t been finalised yet. It is conditional. You can choose to ignore reality if you like, but it has a bad bite.

Lets look at the situation – the announcement occurred on 21 November 2007, and was accompanied by a comprehensive media kit with digital images and all the right words. Since then there has been zilch.

This time of the year we all like no publicity because it is usually bad news if it happens. So you would hope that everything is motoring along happily behind the scenes and all the i’s are being dotted and the t’s crossed. But you would expect by now that there would be a planning permit application lodged for consideration. Planning permit standard plans aren’t that complex, and should be able to be produced within a few weeks unless there are significant problems that need to be addressed.

If you think the current announcements can’t be changed, all you have to do is reflect on June 2006 when the Sports Minister and St Kilda FC announced the Moorabbin redevelopment. It was only 19 months ago that all those impressive sketch plans showing a world class training facility were unveiled – see how quickly things can CHANGE.

As iceman says I’m a Saints supporter, so I’ll continue watching St Kilda (as I do every almost week at TD or interstate). One thing is for absolutely certain – they’ll never become the Frankston Saints.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:Jezza, it’s not me that needs to get on with it – it’s the Saints and the Frankston Council.

Let’s hope that something happens one way or the other soon. I want to see an outcome for St Kilda – not have the club caught in a no mans land between Linton Street (where it seems they’ve burned their bridges with Kingston Council) and Frankston Park (where the problems are mounting). But then again, maybe Casey Fields might still be available (and with its permit already in place) unless the space has been allocated for another purpose.

Everyone knows that a deal has been done, but the problem is it hasn’t been finalised yet. It is conditional. You can choose to ignore reality if you like, but it has a bad bite.

Lets look at the situation – the announcement occurred on 21 November 2007, and was accompanied by a comprehensive media kit with digital images and all the right words. Since then there has been zilch.

This time of the year we all like no publicity because it is usually bad news if it happens. So you would hope that everything is motoring along happily behind the scenes and all the i’s are being dotted and the t’s crossed. But you would expect by now that there would be a planning permit application lodged for consideration. Planning permit standard plans aren’t that complex, and should be able to be produced within a few weeks unless there are significant problems that need to be addressed.

If you think the current announcements can’t be changed, all you have to do is reflect on June 2006 when the Sports Minister and St Kilda FC announced the Moorabbin redevelopment. It was only 19 months ago that all those impressive sketch plans showing a world class training facility were unveiled – see how quickly things can CHANGE.

As iceman says I’m a Saints supporter, so I’ll continue watching St Kilda (as I do every almost week at TD or interstate). One thing is for absolutely certain – they’ll never become the Frankston Saints.
If for some reason the deal ever fell over the Saints would have more chance of staying where they are now than ever going to Casey.

jezza
Club Player

FRANKSTON

Great write Casey.For you to write so much stuff that makes sense you must be on the Casey Council and hope that the deal falls over.

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

He's not on the council, but he has a vested interest.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I have NEVER had a problem with parking within Frankston and I really don't understand snoopygirl's post..
snoopygirl wrote:Hard enough to get a parking spot in the vicinity now OWTS. I avoid shopping in Frankston for this very reason. God help them on Family Day & Intra Club games.
There is more than enough parking IMO and street parking is free for 2 hours in the shopping precinct.

There is more than enough parking to cover games played at Frankston when they play there, outside of the shopping precinct, so I really don't consider it as.....

"God help them on Family Day & Intra Club games".

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

I also dont know what the problem with parking in Frankston is, especially for the players.

I took John McEnroe down to Frankston oval to check out the parking and I discovered that if it is only 80 cars we are talking about, then there are already 70 allocated car parks behind the Bryan Mace grandstand which are part of the oval parking anyway, and it would only take a couple of council signs strategically placed to allocate them to St Kilda players and staff. The people who park there during the day are not local residents, so they can nick off and park somewhere else and maybe pay a very small fee for a change in a proper car park such as the one nearby at the civic center. Problem solved.

As for the "valued view". The only residents affected will be the ducks in the lake across the road and the occasional jogger. I dont think the ducks will mind our champions preparing for the 2010 premiership with a great view over the Frankston foreshore.

Then again, I have little understanding of how a council or a town planning works, so I accept that there are some who have superior insight and knowledge into the possible problems that lay ahead.

I LOVE FRANKSTON

:D :D

casey scorp
Club Player

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:He's not on the council, but he has a vested interest.
True, but don't we all in one way or another.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Admire your resilence & spunk Casey :wink:

...but the deal is 100% done and Frankston will be the saints longterm home and the Peninsula its strategic supporter base going forward.....

If that doesn't come to fruition I will wear a Filth jumper to the best and fairest in 2010... :oops:

What will you do when the Frankston Saints become an inexcapable reality :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
casey scorp
Club Player

If it does come to fruition, and I'm not saying it can't, it won't happen by 2010. So I'll look out for you in the jumper - you should be pretty easy to identify. At least the red face will give you the red, black and white look!

There is no way that St Kilda will become the Frankston Saints. The club has so much invested in its identity that they wouldn't give it up. I also don't think too many Saints supporters would be thrilled barracking for a club renamed Frankston. I may be wrong on that score but I'd be surprised (then again a couple of posters on here today have said that it's a dead set certainty that we'll become the Frankston Saints, so maybe they're right and we'll give away our identity).

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

casey scorp wrote:I may be wrong on that score but I'd be surprised (then again a couple of posters on here today have said that it's a dead set certainty that we'll become the Frankston Saints, so maybe they're right and we'll give away our identity).
ummm i can only count 2 posters using the phrase "Frankston Saints"

As other people have also said, let it go............ Frankston will be the venue, Casey will not.

St Kilda Football Club will NEVER give it's indentity away and will NEVER become the Frankston Saints.

Still, nothing like a bit of sarcasm and scare-mongering hey........?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

"Frankston Saints" ? You can stick that, that would be inexcusable, cannot possiblly happen! :evil: :evil: :evil:

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
casey scorp wrote:I may be wrong on that score but I'd be surprised (then again a couple of posters on here today have said that it's a dead set certainty that we'll become the Frankston Saints, so maybe they're right and we'll give away our identity).
ummm i can only count 2 posters using the phrase "Frankston Saints"

As other people have also said, let it go............ Frankston will be the venue, Casey will not.

St Kilda Football Club will NEVER give it's indentity away and will NEVER become the Frankston Saints.

Still, nothing like a bit of sarcasm and scare-mongering hey........?
Agreed...

I don't mind poster that are biased on their opinions but it now seems to be a shift to another name???

Please stop this...

We once tried the Southern Saints and if that failed, why would we consider the Frankston Saints.........

Gee, give us all a break on this FFS

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Which posters said it would happen and what are they basing it on. PFFFFF!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:"Frankston Saints" ? You can stick that, that would be inexcusable, cannot possiblly happen! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Surely they mean the VFL team?

jezza
Club Player

Frankston

The only name we are talking about changing is the VFL Name from the Casey Scorps to the Frankston Scorps.The AFL NAME WILL NEVER CHANGE.Some people get a bit hot under the collar.Casey good argument but in time your beautiful ground will be great for the Cranbourne FC. Or perhaps the VFL can take control and have the ground as its headquarters.How long is the current alingment deal for.

Cheers

Jezza

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Frankston

jezza wrote:The only name we are talking about changing is the VFL Name from the Casey Scorps to the Frankston Scorps.The AFL NAME WILL NEVER CHANGE.Some people get a bit hot under the collar.Casey good argument but in time your beautiful ground will be great for the Cranbourne FC. Or perhaps the VFL can take control and have the ground as its headquarters.How long is the current alingment deal for.

Cheers

Jezza
Question: what happens to the Frankston Dolphins, then? Do they lose thier identity, merge with Casey, what?

As for "Frankston Saints", no that won't be happening. The constitutional point limiting us to change the name unless membership agrees to it that we had in '65 when moving to Moorabbin is, as far as I know, still in effect.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

riccardo wrote:Question: what happens to the Frankston Dolphins, then? Do they lose thier identity, merge with Casey, what?
Don't forget that Springvale were the original Scorpions, and lost their identity when they went to Cranbourne.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I think the "Frankston Saints" was a reference to the location of our base rtaher than any official name change.

I think the alliance with the Dolphins at VFL level has to happen. Would tighten the alliance with the area having Saints players involved in actual matches at the ground every second week

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
riccardo wrote:Question: what happens to the Frankston Dolphins, then? Do they lose thier identity, merge with Casey, what?
Don't forget that Springvale were the original Scorpions, and lost their identity when they went to Cranbourne.
Not discounting that at all, but Springy chose to move to Casey, if the Dolphions go out of existence because we are moving there and not alligning with them, thus bringing our own VFL team, that would be less than fair, to both the people of Frankston and Casey.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I think the "Frankston Saints" was a reference to the location of our base rtaher than any official name change.

I think the alliance with the Dolphins at VFL level has to happen. Would tighten the alliance with the area having Saints players involved in actual matches at the ground every second week
Snap!
Thanks Michael...!Saved me explaining my concept of what I meant by the Frankston Saints...was talking a base and nothing more!

Am confident I won't need to wear the Filth jumper.....this move is a master stroke by the club...will unite the peninsula right behind the club in the coming years and this ex Sorrento/Mt.Martha boy couldn't be happier :lol:

...bring it on baby :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I think the "Frankston Saints" was a reference to the location of our base rtaher than any official name change.

Yes that would be nice...

But we have approached them on at least 2 occasions in the past 6 years and they have said they wont to go it alone...

Carlton had also approached them some years ago.

I feel that the Saints are not that happy with Casey Scorps and were looking for the Frankston alliance for some time, but to date they have still wanted to go it alone.

Things may change in the future

casey scorp
Club Player

jezza wrote:The only name we are talking about changing is the VFL Name from the Casey Scorps to the Frankston Scorps.The AFL NAME WILL NEVER CHANGE.Some people get a bit hot under the collar.Casey good argument but in time your beautiful ground will be great for the Cranbourne FC. Or perhaps the VFL can take control and have the ground as its headquarters.How long is the current alingment deal for.

Cheers

Jezza
Jezza, you are displaying both inconsistency and ignorance. I’m glad you’ve now said that the St Kilda name won’t change, and most people are saying it is a location descriptor rather than a name change. But you previously referred to the Frankston Saints – now you’re saying the Frankston Scorpions. I would be very surprised if:

• the Casey Scorpions moved to Frankston and became the Frankston Scorpions
• the Frankston Dolphins changed their name to the Frankston Scorpions.

It just doesn’t make any sense that any team called the Frankston Scorpions would ever come into existence. And what would happen to the Frankston FC if the Casey Scorpions moved to Frankston? There’s no way they are going anywhere else.

The Casey Fields VFL ground will almost certainly continue to have a VFL team domiciled there. There is no reason why it won’t be the Casey Scorpions. Whether the alignment with St Kilda lasts is another matter. The alignments are only generally year to year propositions.

The Cranbourne FC will obviously continue to use the VFL ground at Casey Fields for their matches, the same as they have done for the past couple of years.
TimeToShineFellas wrote:
On the matter of identity:

• St Kilda as a nationally recognised entity should never change (and won’t in my opinion)
• the Springvale Scorpions relocated and became the Casey Scorpions as an alternative to dissolution. The once powerful Springvale had lost its supporter base with massive demographic change in the area, and struggled through many years of an itinerant existence moving home grounds between Springvale, Waverley Park, Moorabbin and Shepley Oval in Dandenong. The move to Casey has resurrected the club, and the identity “Caseyâ€