Rohan Connolly predicts us to finish fourth ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:omg

something that could be construed as half a complement from smith.
ah that's Rohan Connolly not that overweight excuse for a writer from the Australian.

I'm a idiot

do i get a warning for abusing myself???
no, because you're grammar was incorrect. That should be, I'm AN idiot". Now go and sit in the corner and write it out 100 times.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

top 8 looks right to me ..bottom 8 wont finish like that - he's obviously an essendon supporter though - cant see them that high up the ladder

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Spinners ladder:

Geelong
St Kilda
Fremantle
Hawthorn
West Coast
Collingwood
Port Adelaide
Sydney

Western Bulldogs
Brisbane
Adelaide
Kangaroos
Carlton
Richmond
Melbourne
Essendon

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Who cares what any writer says. They know as much or little about where sides will finish as we do.

less actually.......because i don't think they would watch as many saints games.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
snippa
Club Player

It's funny isn't it....

A journalist predicts us to finish fourth and we all of a sudden love him cause he tells us what we want to hear.

I wonder what the response would be if he had tipped us to finish 8-9

Somewhat different I expect.

I am the king of the divan
StSteven
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:If we played Geelong in a final first up, I'd put every cent I had on us winning.

This would be our worst nightmare. We have not beaten the "new" Geelong and they will be as powerful this year as last.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rohan Connolly predicts us to finish fourth ...

Connolly's ladder :

Geelong
Collingwood
Hawthorn
St Kilda
Kangaroos
Port Adelaide
West Coast
Western Bulldogs

Essendon
Brisbane
Fremantle
Sydney
Melbourne
Carlton
Adelaide
Richmond[/quote]

I think he's underestimating West Coast. Judd and Cousins had minimal influence last year and they were still oh so close to a home prelim.
I'd have them in the top 4 for sure. Will be as difficult as ever to beat at Subi and young guys like Rosa, Priddis and Hurn will have another year under their belts.
Would have Brisbane in the 8 instead of the Doggies and Sydney will again be pushing for a finals spot.
Essenscum will not finish as high as 9th.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:If we played Geelong in a final first up, I'd put every cent I had on us winning.

This would be our worst nightmare. We have not beaten the "new" Geelong and they will be as powerful this year as last.
We still have it mentally over them ... ask Bomber.

He was very glad he didn't have to play us in the second half of '07. We would have beaten the Cats all ends up.

We were a kick down with a minute to go in the first half against them with 25 players to choose from that week ....

St Kilda > Geelong in big games.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
JeffDunne

We were a kick down with a minute to go in the first half
:shock:

OWTS, I admire your ability at putting a positive spin based on partial results, but I think this one is stretching it a bit too far.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:

OWTS, I admire your ability at putting a positive spin based on partial results, but I think this one is stretching it a bit far.
I know.

Positive is the way to go!

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
JeffDunne

Fair enough, but that last one sounded like something I'd expect to hear from Carlton supporters. :lol:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:I think he's underestimating West Coast. Judd and Cousins had minimal influence last year and they were still oh so close to a home prelim.
I agree. I expect West Coast to be in the top-4. They still play at Subiaco, they still have the best ruck in the business and they still have a lot of bodies they can run through the middle. They actually have some depth at KP now too.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Richter
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
st.byron wrote:I think he's underestimating West Coast. Judd and Cousins had minimal influence last year and they were still oh so close to a home prelim.
I agree. I expect West Coast to be in the top-4. They still play at Subiaco, they still have the best ruck in the business and they still have a lot of bodies they can run through the middle. They actually have some depth at KP now too.
Hmmm interesting - I was thinking the opposite actually. Judd was awesome the first half of last year - racked up all his Brownlow points in the first 10 games from memory.

When we played em over there both Judd and Cousins were out. When they came over here Cousins won them the game in the second half.

Then in the finals game they lost because of Cousins going down against Port and then missing him altogether the following week against the pies.

Yes, Rosa, Priddis etc. are decent players (Kerr a great player) but you can't NOT miss the quality of Judd and Cousins IMO.

I put them at 9-10.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
Hmmm interesting - I was thinking the opposite actually. Judd was awesome the first half of last year - racked up all his Brownlow points in the first 10 games from memory.

When we played em over there both Judd and Cousins were out. When they came over here Cousins won them the game in the second half.

Then in the finals game they lost because of Cousins going down against Port and then missing him altogether the following week against the pies.

Yes, Rosa, Priddis etc. are decent players (Kerr a great player) but you can't NOT miss the quality of Judd and Cousins IMO.

I put them at 9-10.
i think west coast will be a bit of a give or take team

they will either just make the finals and threaten the top sides
or
they will just miss the finals due to, as you have stated, the loss of extre experience in cousins and judd

their downfall, if it even happens, wont last more than a few years due to the eagles, yet again, drafting to perfection

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:Yes, Rosa, Priddis etc. are decent players (Kerr a great player) but you can't NOT miss the quality of Judd and Cousins IMO.

I put them at 9-10.
They lost in the finals to Collingwood, who IMO should be a top-4 team this year. The same Collingwood team played a tight game against West Coast earlier in the year when Judd was at his best. Malthouse has had good results against WC in recent years.

Priddis and Kerr will get a ton of ball in the centre, as will Butler if he's healthy. Stenglein and Selwood are both very capable midfielders. They've still got Braun and Embley (if fit) on the outside. Waters could move into the middle if he's needed there, as could LeCras.

As you said, they'll miss Judd and Cousins, but there is still a lot of quality on the West Coast list, particularly in the midfield. Beating them at Subiaco is still going to be a monumental task for travelling sides. I can't see them losing enough games to miss the finals.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Even without Judd and Cousins, West Coast have structured their team to remain competitive for the next five-seven years.

They've got so many good young players coming through - particuarly in the midfield (Rosa, Nicoski, LeCras, Priddis, Hurn, Butler, Waters, Selwood) - that they'll get a very strong lease on life this year. It's just that the past crop were so good that they may seen to be dropping back, but I still think they'll make the four...and will prove very difficult to beat with games being put through these younger players.

Not only are those kids all really talented, but they have very few aging players, and even those who have been around for a while - Embley, Stenglien, Braun, Cox, Jones x2, Fletcher, Armstrong - still have years left in them. Even Wirrpanda's just 28.

Throw in a fully fit Ashley Hansen to join Lynch up forward, allowing Hunter to play full-time CHB with Glass, and you've got a superb spine - and that doesn't account for improvement from Jaymie Graham, Brent Staker or Josh Kennedy.

Even amongst their absolute junior crop, there's talent: Mitch Brown showed plenty last year, as did Jamie McNamara, whilst Chris Masten and Brad Ebert could well be 200+ game players. Will Schofield and Ben McKinley shone in the WAFL, apparently.

All this, and we still haven't got to Daniel Kerr, who, if Judd and Cousins aren't about, is clearly the best midfielder in the competition.

Get on them for the flag now - at some point this year they will shorten to under $5. Even for the finals, they are incredible odds.

A seriously good team who will bounce back and is already building for the future.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

I put them at 9-10.
Fair points Richter. Agree that Cousins and Judd would be a huge loss to any side. Do you know how many votes Judd got in the Brownlow last year?
Maybe it will have more of an impact than I'm anticipating. I certainly hope so as I hate WCE with a passion. Still think they'll finish top 4 and from there, anything is possible, especially if they jag a home prelim.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Richter wrote:Yes, Rosa, Priddis etc. are decent players (Kerr a great player) but you can't NOT miss the quality of Judd and Cousins IMO.

I put them at 9-10.
They lost in the finals to Collingwood, who IMO should be a top-4 team this year. The same Collingwood team played a tight game against West Coast earlier in the year when Judd was at his best. Malthouse has had good results against WC in recent years.

Priddis and Kerr will get a ton of ball in the centre, as will Butler if he's healthy. Stenglein and Selwood are both very capable midfielders. They've still got Braun and Embley (if fit) on the outside. Waters could move into the middle if he's needed there, as could LeCras.

As you said, they'll miss Judd and Cousins, but there is still a lot of quality on the West Coast list, particularly in the midfield. Beating them at Subiaco is still going to be a monumental task for travelling sides. I can't see them losing enough games to miss the finals.

Yep agree with you there VS. Still have plenty of quality evenly spread through their list. As well as the midfielders you've mentioned Rosa and Hurn are two to watch out for, Rosa more of an outside player and HUrn is a nuggety little tank who slayed them in the WAFL and looked promising last year. Cox, Glass, Hunter, Lynch, Wirrpanda on top of those you've mentioned. THink it's seriously underestimating them to put them outside th e8.

hAyES
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:

OWTS, I admire your ability at putting a positive spin based on partial results, but I think this one is stretching it a bit too far.
In the past a fully fit St Kilda side owned Geelong, but I'm not so sure about that these days. They are a completely different side now.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
Eastern wrote:Is Rohan Connoly's opinion of any value ? !!
i rate him as the best journalist in the main melbourne metro papers, herald sun and the age.

Mark Stevens isnt to bad as is Mark Robinson (i think thats his name)

Even Robert Walls is half good at times.

Connoly is a standard above imo though

he was a clear winner in the age's footy tipping last season from memory also
Isn't it good when we can have diametrically opposing views :lol: :wink: !!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Even without Judd and Cousins, West Coast have structured their team to remain competitive for the next five-seven years.

Get on them for the flag now - at some point this year they will shorten to under $5. Even for the finals, they are incredible odds.

A seriously good team who will bounce back and is already building for the future.

no thanks.....my money is on the saints.......seriously......and serious money too..... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Even without Judd and Cousins, West Coast have structured their team to remain competitive for the next five-seven years.

They've got so many good young players coming through - particuarly in the midfield (Rosa, Nicoski, LeCras, Priddis, Hurn, Butler, Waters, Selwood) - that they'll get a very strong lease on life this year. It's just that the past crop were so good that they may seen to be dropping back, but I still think they'll make the four...and will prove very difficult to beat with games being put through these younger players.

Not only are those kids all really talented, but they have very few aging players, and even those who have been around for a while - Embley, Stenglien, Braun, Cox, Jones x2, Fletcher, Armstrong - still have years left in them. Even Wirrpanda's just 28.

Throw in a fully fit Ashley Hansen to join Lynch up forward, allowing Hunter to play full-time CHB with Glass, and you've got a superb spine - and that doesn't account for improvement from Jaymie Graham, Brent Staker or Josh Kennedy.

Even amongst their absolute junior crop, there's talent: Mitch Brown showed plenty last year, as did Jamie McNamara, whilst Chris Masten and Brad Ebert could well be 200+ game players. Will Schofield and Ben McKinley shone in the WAFL, apparently.

All this, and we still haven't got to Daniel Kerr, who, if Judd and Cousins aren't about, is clearly the best midfielder in the competition.

Good summation Everton. Agree with you. They're list is well balanced, young and talented. Hard to see them not being thereabouts.

Saints43
Club Player

We still have it mentally over them ... ask Bomber.

He was very glad he didn't have to play us in the second half of '07. We would have beaten the Cats all ends up.

We were a kick down with a minute to go in the first half against them with 25 players to choose from that week ....
Are you talking about St Kilda last year?

You realise what point of a game half time is, don't you?

Geelong were a thousand times better than us last year and that's why we lost to them by 10 goals, they won the flag & we finished 9th.

In the second half of the season we barely saw off Carlton...

Big games? They're all big games if you are serious.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I am Rohan Connolly (see my post on winning the flag!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Raven
Club Player

st.byron wrote: no, because you're grammar was incorrect. That should be, I'm AN idiot". Now go and sit in the corner and write it out 100 times.
Ah, the irony! :wink: