Be honest, do you really think we'll win the flag in 2008?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Behind Play
Club Player

I really believe we have to this season or its back to rebuilding over the next few years.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:I really believe we have to this season or its back to rebuilding over the next few years.
What demented logic are you using to come up with that?

At the end of the season we will probably lose Harvey and Gehrig. Harvs is an absolute champion, but he will probably be used as a relief midfielder this year, and Gehrig probably isn't needed as long as Roo and Kosi are fit.

Then we are still left with the likes of Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Dal Santo, Montgna, S.Fisher, Ball, Maguire, X.Clarke, Goddard, Gram, Schneider, R.Clarke, L.Fisher and Gilbert in their prime, while Hayes, Hudghton, Baker, Mline and possibly King/Gardiner are still contributing well.

We do need to keep our draft picks over the next few years and use them bloody well if we don't want to spend a few years at the bottom as our current core group retire, but there is no reason why we wouldn't go all out for a flag over the next 5 years.

claystreet
Club Player

Quietly, very quietly confident we will give it a BIG shake

no flag predictions from me though

8-)

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Agrees with the quiet big shake this year.

Very quiet, very big shake.

truman38

Well I certainly hope so now that Ive moved back to melbourne to live after 17 years.

I also found out that I have free private and secured parking, a stones throw away from TD through work so I'm really looking forward to getting along to some games. :D

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

yes.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

no doubt in my mind that we could have won it in 2004 - 2006 if the injury gods had smiled on us.

I remember walking out of TD last year after we played the Kangaroos thinking that the window had shut.

However a few things have changed in the offseason for me:
- for the first time in a while, I think we may actually get a half decent run with injury.
- the recruitment over the summer has added 4 players that are actually readymade AFL players to the list
- Hopefully Kosi, Lenny, Ball and M Gardiner have a decent fitness base behind them to enable them to get back to their AFL best
- Decline of Sydney (age) & WCE (player exodus)

Geelong clearly still the benchmark - but if they get a bad run with injury like we did then that will bring them back to the field. Hawthorn the team with the most potential to step up to match it with Geelong but if we can keep our list on the park then I think we are definite top 4 contenders. From there, anything can happen.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

You make some good points Zed.

I believe that while 2007 was possibly the most even year of AFL footy ever, there was no team that was unbeatable (although Geelong were outstanding).

Port Adelaide, Hawthorn, Collingwood and the Kangaroos are not teams that I particularly worry about beating us on our best form of 2007 - and that's not factoring in the improvement from adding Schneider, King, Gardiner, Goddard and Dempster.

Basically, apart from Geelong (who have already lost two good players), I don't see the competition as being overly strong, although it will be very even.

IMO the opportunity is there for us in 2008, and if we have a good start to the season, we will be in the box seat to go deep into September ....

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:I believe that while 2007 was possibly the most even year of AFL footy ever.
What about Fitzroy winning the flag from last place on the ladder?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:I believe that while 2007 was possibly the most even year of AFL footy ever.
What about Fitzroy winning the flag from last place on the ladder?
"AFL footy".

:wink: :)

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Oh bugger, foiled again.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

One month on.....

Anyway view it more positive after the Praccy match series??

Most seem to be looking at a flag or close to it.

I'm a bit more optimistic - the bottom rung expectation is losing a Prelim for me at the moment, as opposed to the best case scenario I was thinking a month ago.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

At the same time last year how many people were willing to predict Geelong would win a flag by 100+ points?

It's there for the doing. Prepare well, have talent and you're a chance. We have talent, our preparation is better than I've seen and, ergo, we are a chance.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:At the same time last year how many people were willing to predict Geelong would win a flag by 100+ points?

GF are often a boil over with one team dropping their bundle.

Was Geelong 100+ points better than every over team in the AFL? = No.

Geelong did however by any measure havea truly outstanding year.

In particular it is interesting to me that in 2007 that the Pies ran them close every time and in the PF were stiff not to win. I think a lot of this is due to how the Pies played their footy in 2008.

The Saints players need to take note of the committment of the Pies players.,,we need to match the ies work ethic....and if we do then matc with our other advantages we should be in witha very good chance in 2008.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
StSteven
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:I hope we can win the flag but I think we will be a quality Ruckman short and anther quality midfielder short plau maybe a tall backman. i know every club has problems but we are one down on each line except up forward IMO.

This is based on King being only fair as he has been for the last 3 years and Gardiner being like he has been now for 4 years. Also Bally not really improving from his injry and Goose and maybe Max playing less than 15 games each.

Spot on....it worries me that some think that players that have not made it at Geelong (and elsewhere) will all of a sudden take us to a flag...THEY WONT.

(Interesting to note that Geelong have not taken players from other clubs barring Ottens, Harley (1 game) and another who escapes me but has not played more than 10 games elsewhere...Mooney that was)

Bring back Troy Shwarze!

Two main factors: injuries AND Geelong!

Having a relatively injury-free season will bring us up to potentially second or third from ninth in 2007.

Geelong having some key injuries could see us at a level playing field with them; anyone who thinks us at our best is as good or better than geelong at their best (last year, anyway) clearly didn't watch much of them in 2007. We're just looking very good at the minute because some of our very average players have been playing in a winning team in the nab cup which has made them look alright ie GardinerX2, Jones, ClarkeX2 and even tho King has been looking important and skillful, don't forget that he wasn't making Geelong's 22 for a large portion of last yr. Players of his age & size don't suddenly improve 10-fold.

Lastly, our draw is far from ideal and there are still some potentially strong forces in the league that cannot be forgotten such as port, west coast, adelaide and hawthorn.

To answer the question, we CAN win the flag but we would need quite a few things to go our way, especially down at skilled stadium. I would be dissapointed if we didn't make top 4 but also surprised if we won the premiership.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

OK...so where are we at now???

My thoughts are a Prelim final appearance (and loss to The Buddy Show) is about the best we'll get this year, certainly not a flag (ie beating most likely the Cats).

Looks like a lot of our predictions pre season are coming thru now...

Saints94
SS Life Member

Yes. We can knock over the pies and knock over hawks aswell and then go on and flog Geelong

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Oh dear, that's a bit cruel, reminding people of what they said before a ball was bounced.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:OK...so where are we at now???

My thoughts are a Prelim final appearance (and loss to The Buddy Show) is about the best we'll get this year, certainly not a flag (ie beating most likely the Cats).

Looks like a lot of our predictions pre season are coming thru now...

As I posted back then...COMMITTMENT is what we need most...and that luck has little to do with where the Cat's...or the Saints are at.

I see my point of the Pies v Cats worked out too!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:wow

quite the post srr

i read it , and go .....thats strong , important , needed

but why do i continually here from successful people in all walks of life , that luck played a major part in their stories

are they just being humble maybe ?

I think you will find that they are probably meaning that they had a slice of luck somehwere...

BUT what made them succesful is probably going to be much more that they made the most of an opportunity that came their way.

Counterbalancing you "successful" people point....how many countless more say "only if" they had acted on some ide or slice of luck that they would have been a "success".

People that gain windfall gains often squander them by imprudent decision making...whether be Lotto winners or those who scooped up the Blight Bounty.

AlpineStars
Club Player

The only way we could win the flag was to lose to Geelong first up. If we had beaten them they would have been stung badly (and out for some payback) having been soundly flogged they may just take the foot off the gas and think they are already home.. We have 2 50/50 games Vs Pies and Hawks and if we get past them who knows?

Wake me up when September ends.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

honestly, no

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
MACEwasACE
Club Player

Heart say's yes. Head says no.

But then, stranger things have happened.

IF It is to be it is up to me.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

anyone can win it