Match v Richmond - Player by player

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Match v Richmond - Player by player

Overall that was a very satisfying performance. Our kids really stood up and a few fringe players look like seriously challenging for a spot in the best 22.

Steven King - Was good in the ruck contests and took a couple of handy marks. Didn't stand out, but he showed enough to show that he is an improvement on what we have had previously.

Xavier Clarke - Great game. Looks extremely fit, confident and his skills were sharp. I really like him in the midfield.

Max Hudghton - Didn't really notice him. It's a good sign that he's fit at this time of the year though.

Fraser Gehrig - Started brilliantly and looked extremely fit, but he did seem to slow downa bit after the first quarter. Still better than most pre season games from Fraser.

Leigh Montagna - Very good. He is probably our best midfielder now and he put in a strong performance.

Michael Gardiner - It is great that he's playing, but he had no impact on the game. Hopefully he just needs to build up some match fitness and touch (which is understandable since he has barely played since 2003), but I don't think he will really be a key player for us.

Raph Clarke - He is in the best condition he has ever been in and looks like he will finally fulfill his potential. Looked fit, sharp, strong and quick.

Aaron Fiora - Solid game. He didn't need to do a huge amount, but he did enough to show he should keep up his form of last year.

David Armitage - His tackling was awsome, but he desperately needs to get more of the footy. We need him to become a quality midfielder, but he hasn't shown a lot to date.

Shane Birss - Pretty good. We know what he's capable of and he performed fairly well tonight.

Justin Koschitzke - He didn't kick a bag like many expected him to, but he took some strong grabs and was dangerous. To be honest I thought his best work was done late in the game when he was playing across half back. I am not convinced that he can be a regular goalkicker, but at least he is fit and has had a pre season.

Sam Fisher - He let Richo get away a bit too much, but he still played a good game. He doesn't need to prove anything in the pre season.

Nick Dal Santo - Quiet game, but he was there just to get some match fitness.

Jason Blake - Good game. He kicked long and accurately several times and now looks very comfrotable at AFL level.

Charlie Gardiner - He effectively replaced Riewoldt and did a good job. I was very surprised by his good marking and disposal. I don't think he's a goalkicker, but he could be that extra avenue into the forward line we have been looking for. Quality game.

Michael Rix - Barely noticed him. I remember one good tackle on the boundary line, but I suspect Rix was played in case Gardiner or King broke down.

Brad Howard - He didn't get a huge amount of game time, but he didn't do anything to impress.

Jack Steven - Had very little game time and wasnt really noticed.

Robert Harvey - Didn't do a lot, but I don't think he'll be worried about a quiet game in the NAB cup.

Jarryd Allen - Didn't stand out, but he snagged two goals and easily could have had four (if not for a close miss and Gehrig reversing a shot at goal).

Clint Jones - Started poorly but calmed down after quarter time and played a solid game. It was a big improvement on his 2007 form, but still needs to do more with the footy.

Robert Eddy - Was brilliant in the first quarter, but was on and off the ground from then on. The only weakness I have noticed in his game is that he does tend to cough up the ball under pressure. Still looks like a guy who could easily step into an AFL game and have en impact. Deserves to be on the senior list ahead of 5-6 players.

Jarryn Geary - Very good game. I knew that he was a classy player with good pace, but I had no idea that he had such a great vertical leap. He effectively spoiled Richmond forwards much taller than him several times and I loved his bump on Polak. I would be surprised and disappointed if he doesn't play 15 games this year.

Stephen Milne - He is still very good at finding space in the forward line, but still needs to lift his game around the ground. Even if Milney just cuts the stupid high tackles from his game I'll be happy.

Luke Miles - The biggest surprise packet for me. He defensive work was excellent and his confidence attacking and using the ball was amazing for a guy plucked from nowhere. He looks like a genuine full back prospect for the future.

EDIT: Sorry, I started writing this before the other thread was made.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

A pretty good summary MSG with the exception of M.Gardiner. Some of his tap work was spot on, he just palmed a few gems down the throat of our mids (which is something that some of them simply have never experienced at AFL level!).

The ruck combo was very encouraging against a reasonable opposition (Simmonds- v.good, Pattison- better than Knobel...just). I reckon the coaching staff will be absolutely wrapt with what they saw from King and Gardy tonight.

David Armitage - His tackling was awsome, but he desperately needs to get more of the footy. We need him to become a quality midfielder, but he hasn't shown a lot to date.

Totally agree with your call on Armo... it's usually the other way with young players... can get the ball but not great at the tough stuff.

james rose
Club Player

thought rix played well in defence... wasn't very attacking but went alright

Huzzad
Club Player

Well said there mate. Was very surprised and please with our young guys, Eddy great first quater and Geary was solid. Even Miles came from no where and played like a veteran, even though he looked a little green. His confidence was impressive. Clinton Jones, another good game. Except for his wayward shot at goal, his kicking was very accurate, and if I am not mistaken, had 2 goal assists as well. He has the potential to be our best crumber I think, he is a ball magnet, just needs to be a little calmer under pressure, but proved tonight that he can hit targets and tackle well. Kosi was brilliant, except for his kicking, that needs serious attention. Could have kicked 4 easily but had a case of the yips...and like you said, was good further up the ground, which is why I think we should leave the G-Train in the square (3 goals from 3 shots) and let Kosi roam, as he has the fitness and strength to play further afield. King was good, nothing spectacular ut great 1%ers, Gardi was not brilliant, but had the goal assist and used the ball well when he got it, with match fitness and confidence his skill level will go back to All-Australian level I think, now that he has got that first game out of the way, the focus will go back to his ball management skills.

My best on ground would have to be Charlie Gardiner. Didn't even notice Reiwoldt was absent with him, marked 90% +, kicked a goal and just had a real presence on the field. Really surprised me, expected him to be quiet, but instead played brilliantly off half-forward and showed he has great awareness and strategy in his positioning. Will replace the Brett Voss of 05/06, if not surpass him if he can maintain that intensity.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Charlie Gardiner is structurally fantastic for us, to have both he and Riewoldt pushing up across half forward gives our mids and half backs some really good marking targets to spot up. It will also discourage teams from playing their usual 2 players on Riewoldt when we have a second similar avenue forward.

Allen played well, but I don't think he will play this year unless we have injuries.

Miles showed real class, grace under pressure. Backs himself and can play as 3rd tall quite well. I'm still not fully convinced he can be our permanent full back, but certainly will match up well with most full forwards in the comp, in '09 and beyond.

Guys like Sam Fisher, Montagna and X showed their class too. Fiora and Blake (did an okay job on Brown), may be in trouble for a spot once everyone is fit. Raph Clarke should be safe on last night's performance.

Jack Steven didn't get much of the ball (not much game time either), but was best of our new players from the national draft by virtue of being on the field.

Clinton Jones was also quite impressive, setting up quite a few goals but will probably be replaced in the side and structure by Schneider.

We need to find room for quite a few senior players returning from injury - who goes out?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

eddy was impressive

CJ and birss need to to work on their disposal

x was outfarkingstanding.

if he puts 10 games like that in 08, he'll really put the cat amongst the pidgeons. fantastic disposal, vision, attack at the ball and man.

some of his spot ups were brilliant.

FG looks in cruiser mode.

kosi just keeps getting better and better, if he can stay fit for the season we are looking down at all those who said trade bait and laughing at them.

sam fish was outstanding

the 'throw' when shown again on close up was a brilliant backwards hand pass, how that guy could deliver a punch to the ball when pinned down by two blokes and find a team mate was magical. was in the action about 30 seconds later to spot up a team mate.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!