Koschitzke's goal kicking...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Huzzad
Club Player

Are out-on-the-fulls counted in the percentage though? Or just Goals Vs Behinds?

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i remember another bloke who could mark anything and every thing but would butcher the kick funny enuff he wore 23 for the saints as well but if i also remember correctly he fixed that problem and ended up being an all round champion of the club

he is a 59% for his career (after 89)

but 89 to 94 he was 55%

so he improved a bit

doesn't include out of bounds, says that there is always very few out of bounds (maybe 10 a year if that).

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i remember another bloke who could mark anything and every thing but would butcher the kick funny enuff he wore 23 for the saints as well but if i also remember correctly he fixed that problem and ended up being an all round champion of the club

he is a 59% for his career (after 89)

but 89 to 94 he was 55%

so he improved a bit

doesn't include out of bounds, says that there is always very few out of bounds (maybe 10 a year if that).
yeah but buckets also had problems with feild kicking not just set shots kosi seems to be able to hit targets just not so much the goals atm but a buckets improved so can kosi

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

64% accuracy is pretty good for a forward. last year Kosi was the most accurate kick for goal at the club.

in any case, did you see how much better the forward line functioned last night with a guy up there whose real strength is contested marks.

and just think of the pressure it will take off roo and fraser picking up sometimes the second best and third best tall defender.

if charlie gardiner or allen can make it as a medium forward it ought to
be like shooting fish in a barrel for our forwards this season

ace
Saintsational Legend

Has Kosi been taking kicking lessons from Matthew Richardson?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Kosi's goal kicking is less of a worry for me than his still obvious lack of vision - Buckley saw it and called it spot on last night - he went for the footy and had NO IDEA what was coming....very lucky cause had it been a dirty sniper like Loyd etc hed have gone straight through him no questions............I love his attack.....but geez......just get some awareness Kos cause id hate to another set back.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Kosi's goal kicking is less of a worry for me than his still obvious lack of vision - Buckley saw it and called it spot on last night - he went for the footy and had NO IDEA what was coming....very lucky cause had it been a dirty sniper like Loyd etc hed have gone straight through him no questions............I love his attack.....but geez......just get some awareness Kos cause id hate to another set back.
probably needs to be made to wear a helmet.

no-one's going to call him a woos after that horrible clash he had with giansiracusa

also, that haircut can't be helping his peripheral vision. looks like an un-shorn sheep.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Kosi's goal kicking is less of a worry for me than his still obvious lack of vision - Buckley saw it and called it spot on last night - he went for the footy and had NO IDEA what was coming....very lucky cause had it been a dirty sniper like Loyd etc hed have gone straight through him no questions............I love his attack.....but geez......just get some awareness Kos cause id hate to another set back.
just a question if he had seen the bloke comming what would you have him do ? pull out from it and get slammed like fizz did ? how the heck does FIGJAM know kosi didnt have an idea the players was there he may have known exactly what was coming and threw himself in regardless to get the ball .

the whole lack of awarness is bullsh*t most players know somthing is comming just some dont care

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
carn_sainter
Club Player

You can look back at Kosi's stats retrospectively and see he has a 64% conversion rate but really, what does that tell you...?

Very little which is actually useful.

The fact is that that figure does not discriminate between a sitter which is 10m out and a tough, important kick from 45m out.

I consider myself fair and balanced when appraising all our players and my appraisal of Kosi's kicking is that it is a weakness and a very big one at that...

He gets a lot of goals in close, which pads out his accuracy stat, but misses all more of the ones which have a greater degree of difficulty.

His nice grabs are nice, but he then goes back and misses from 35m out...

I would wager that Kosi's conversion on goals tougher than straight in front from 35m is quite poorer than 64%...

Regardless of the stats, he does need to kick more accurately on goal...all the pack marks in the world stand for little if they end up behind the stick

Energy is neither created nor destroyed, just transferred from one form to another...in a footy context, this says that the way to gain momentum is obviously to take away the opponents...their positive energy becomes ours...

A big pack mark does that only if followed up by a goal...conversely, if we move the ball fluently the whole field and then have a miss from a 40m set shot, it can really hurt our momentum...

Of course he's not alone here but of course his kicking needs big work, as far as my memory serves me...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:You can look back at Kosi's stats retrospectively and see he has a 64% conversion rate but really, what does that tell you?
tells me that he's not a bad kick. you've still got to put them through if they're 15 metres or 50 metres.

he just needs a bit of time in his new forward role and a bit of confidence. 50 shots at goal at training from 45 metres out wouldn't hurt either.

mark my words. his presence up forward this year (barring injury) will be one of the big factors that lifts us back to premiership contention.

it will be disastrous if we go back to the one-dimensional kick-it-to-roo or fraser gameplan that ensured we were the lowest scoring team in the competition last season.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
just a question if he had seen the bloke comming what would you have him do ? pull out from it and get slammed like fizz did ? how the heck does FIGJAM know kosi didnt have an idea the players was there he may have known exactly what was coming and threw himself in regardless to get the ball .

the whole lack of awarness is bullsh*t most players know somthing is comming just some dont care
Its got nothing to do with courage or "pulling out" no one would expect that from Kosi - but lets face facts - he DOES have some history of lack of awareness be it umpires or be it players and I must say watching that incident the other night I thought the same....

For the record....I reckon Buckley could spot a players lack of awareness reasonably well......hes sorta been there and done it at the highest level as a champion for some time - these guys know it.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Its got nothing to do with courage or "pulling out" no one would expect that from Kosi - but lets face facts - he DOES have some history of lack of awareness be it umpires or be it players and I must say watching that incident the other night I thought the same....

For the record....I reckon Buckley could spot a players lack of awareness reasonably well......hes sorta been there and done it at the highest level as a champion for some time - these guys know it.
Have to agree. It certainly looks to me that Kosi does seem to sometimes lose track of who is around him.

Beekay
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote: He tries to kick it too hard.
Agree.

He just lines it up and kicks it as if he is shooting from 50 out.

Needs to learn how to just guide it through. There are so many players who can do it in the AFL and the fact he hasn't learnt a good style yet makes me think he has the yips here and there.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Have to agree. It certainly looks to me that Kosi does seem to sometimes lose track of who is around him.
for his sake and the sake of the team he should be made to wear a helmet, imo.

as i said earlier, no-one's going to think he's a woos given his medical history and that sickening collision with giansiracusa.

nor can we afford to NOT to have him up forward this season, imo, given the heat it will take off fraser and riewoldt and the pressure it will put on our opponents

interestingly i just read on wikipedia that tunnel vision can happen in the heat of battle due to the body being rapidly flooded with adrenaline and oxygen
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 18 Feb 2008 3:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

didn't kosi actually get tested at the AFL camp or perhaps a little later and was one of the worst when it came to periphial vision? This is why full forward might be the best place for him, tell the big bloke "go get ball, mark it and kick goal....."

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:didn't kosi actually get tested at the AFL camp or perhaps a little later and was one of the worst when it came to periphial vision? This is why full forward might be the best place for him, tell the big bloke "go get ball, mark it and kick goal....."
... and wear a helmet to protect your head