King & M. Gardiner !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

King & M. Gardiner !!

Did anyone else notice how both of these guys were really good at "protecting" our ball carriers. The jobs of X, Dal, Joey, CJ etc were made that much easier by the 2nd efforts of these guys. After contesting the centre bounce, the next act they appeared to perform was to do whatever they could to block, shepherd etc to allow as clear a passage as possible for our ball carriers.

It's great that they have the skill to give our ball carriers 1st use of the ball. It's even better when they can give the ball carriers a clear passage as well !!

Huzzad
Club Player

I noticed that too. Great to see them getting the body work in. We definatly need these guys in our best 22 (one to come off the bench). They look to be invaluable to our 08 campaign, and are the ruckman we have been looking for ever since Everitt turned to butterfingers and started playing with fences.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
esaint66
SS Life Member

it was great to see them both firing at the same time and when you go the commentators excited its not hard to get excited yourself :D.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

last year we were accused of topping up by getting clark to the team this year we have shown how to top up properly with the addition of King

King > x1000 Clark

it almost looked like our boys were shocked getting their hands on the pill first heres hoping the rucks hold up for all 25 games

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Brian Collis 3 wrote:So much for Grant Thomas's theory that ruckman are overrated. Jason Blake has finally found his true position in the backline. Played as well as I've seen. Thomas truly overrated himself, both as a person and coach
You obviously never took notice of what he said. He said a poor ruckman is overated but a good one is worth his weight in gold. After all he went after Cox before he looked good because he saw his potential.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Agree that it's great to see two genuine ruckmen in Saints colours, but the lid is still firmly on for me. One pre-season game is a good start, but these guys, Gardiner especially, have a long history of injuries. Need to see them string together a series of home & away games before I start to get excited.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Brian Collis 3 wrote:So much for Grant Thomas's theory that ruckman are overrated. Jason Blake has finally found his true position in the backline. Played as well as I've seen. Thomas truly overrated himself, both as a person and coach
You obviously never took notice of what he said. He said a poor ruckman is overated but a good one is worth his weight in gold. After all he went after Cox before he looked good because he saw his potential.
i hear that plugger but in hinesite he said poor ruckmen were over rated and then brought the likes of Brooks & Ackland to the club :roll: and never tryed to develop a future one by the draft of the rookie list

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i thought you were on a two weeks holiday...found a way around the mods have we.....?????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
i hear that plugger but in hinesite he said poor ruckmen were over rated and then brought the likes of Brooks & Ackland to the club :roll: and never tryed to develop a future one by the draft of the rookie list
Brooks was basically a new ruckman as he had only played one year of footy. GT actually rates Ackland as ok but says he lacks confidence in his abilty. As for the rookie list I dont think we had the money to spend on many rookies or the finance to find the best rookies.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
well gee...tks Grant for the wisdom...bit like " a good car is excellent...a bad car is not so good"...aweseome sherlock... :roll:

Complete tw!t - tell you the truth I dont reckon he knew what he was saying. He actually said he "doesnt rate crabs"(havnt had em myself but cant be fun) but nonetheless the silly git left out the most crucial piece - to not rate crabs....you have to KNOW what one is...... :idea:

“Yeah….nah””
esaint66
SS Life Member

well his posts gone. i think he must have made a new profile :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
well gee...tks Grant for the wisdom...bit like " a good car is excellent...a bad car is not so good"...aweseome sherlock... :roll:

Complete tw!t - tell you the truth I dont reckon he knew what he was saying. He actually said he "doesnt rate crabs"(havnt had em myself but cant be fun) but nonetheless the silly git left out the most crucial piece - to not rate crabs....you have to KNOW what one is...... :idea:
Well what he said made sense to me but I dont have a prejudence

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: King & M. Gardiner !!

Eastern wrote:Did anyone else notice how both of these guys were really good at "protecting" our ball carriers.

Yes......which has been my point for a while why Kosi is not a good ruckman (not yet anyway)....because he does not know how to use his body like a ruckman needs to.

And as you observed this is not just to win tap outs but to protect the ball carriers...create gaps etc.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

After 19 years of playing to a losing ruck can Robert Harvey adapt to playing to a winning ruck. If he can Brownlow number 3 will be around his neck.

hotdish
Club Player

ace wrote:After 19 years of playing to a losing ruck can Robert Harvey adapt to playing to a winning ruck. If he can Brownlow number 3 will be around his neck.
WOW, never heard of a guy called PETER EVERITT, used to be a good ruckman in his day for the saints lol!

Batnoe

hotdish wrote:
ace wrote:After 19 years of playing to a losing ruck can Robert Harvey adapt to playing to a winning ruck. If he can Brownlow number 3 will be around his neck.
WOW, never heard of a guy called PETER EVERITT, used to be a good ruckman in his day for the saints lol!
he wasnt that good

next you will say Barry Hall is a good forward

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:
hotdish wrote:
he wasnt that good

And Heath Black is a good winger???????????????

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Granny Mae

plugger66 wrote:
What about poor players because we had a few of those. So he went after Big Cox, big deal! Farken wasted a draft pick on an absolute dud. Didn't draft one decent young ruckman. Why did he need to pinch other clubs established big men? Farken useless prick. Image

asiu

:lol:

you make me laugh brian

heath pissin off didnt help us at all imo ....i luvved him

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
hotdish wrote:
he wasnt that good

????

The Everit Vidovic ruck combination wasa fantastic one.

Everitt's deft tap work when you needed it....and Vidovic's pure aggression when you need that aspect.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 17 Feb 2008 10:44am, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
????

Everitt's deft tap work when you needed it....and Vidovic's pure agression when you need that aspect.
agression or violence? !!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
????

Everitt's deft tap work when you needed it....and Vidovic's pure agression when you need that aspect.
agression or violence? !!
Well with Vidovic it could be either.
:wink:

Intimidation.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 17 Feb 2008 11:18am, edited 1 time in total.

FullMonty
Club Player

While GT was advanced in some of his thinking (others are just catching up in some of them now) he was WRONG when it came to Ruckmen not being important.
There would be many of us thinking the same after Friday night.
King and Gardiner for pick 90! Has to be the steal of the year!
Combine this with Schnieder and Dempster and the new batch of talented kids and we have more depth than I've seen in any StKilda team.

Montyrules!
esaint66
SS Life Member

Batnoe wrote:
hotdish wrote:
he wasnt that good

ok well then if he wasnt that good why was everyone so upset wehn he was out of the finals for us in 97.