Crowd. 23,329 ? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Crowd. 23,329 ? !!

I thought the crowd of 23,329 was a good crowd for a 1st Rd nab cup game.

Saints fans appeared to make a lot more noise than tiggers fans (the state of the game could have influenced this). I thought we outnumbered them too !!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Might as well have been a 50,000 crowd such were the queues at the food outlets. I'm tipping the level 3 ones were closed like they generally do at early round pre-season games?

TD predicted 18.000 so a good result..and yes I reckon we outnumbered them where we were. Tiges fans though seem to love hanging round their CS...the Coventry end goals were pretty solidly yellow and black

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

the ticket queues were horrible

i was there a good 30 minutes before the match but didnt get in untill we already had three goals on the board

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

There were always gonna be long queues when everyone bar AFL members had to buy a ticket to get in.

What gate were you at Saintbot? It always amazes me that people just wander off that footbridge from the station and head straight for Gate 3.

I arrived at the ground at 5.30, to find out (only by yelling thru the closed gates to an attendant..not like there were any signs lol) that the gates didn't open til 6.00. I hung around the Gate 3 queue for a lil while chatting to a friend. By 5.50 I reckon there were at least 100 people in the gate queue and a similar amount queuing for tickets. I strolled around to the Gate 5 entrance on the wing (where I was wanting to sit anyway) and there were 4 of us there not even bothering to queue and NO-ONE at the ticket office. Bought my ticket and strolled in 5 secs after they opened the gates.

Unless you are sitting behind those goals (and it was all Tigers fans there anyway) or wanting to use the lift/escalator, Gate 5 is a much quicker way into the ground!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:There were always gonna be long queues when everyone bar AFL members had to buy a ticket to get in.

What gate were you at Saintbot? It always amazes me that people just wander off that footbridge from the station and head straight for Gate 3.

I arrived at the ground at 5.30, to find out (only by yelling thru the closed gates to an attendant..not like there were any signs lol) that the gates didn't open til 6.00. I hung around the Gate 3 queue for a lil while chatting to a friend. By 5.50 I reckon there were at least 100 people in the gate queue and a similar amount queuing for tickets. I strolled around to the Gate 5 entrance on the wing (where I was wanting to sit anyway) and there were 4 of us there not even bothering to queue and NO-ONE at the ticket office. Bought my ticket and strolled in 5 secs after they opened the gates.

Unless you are sitting behind those goals (and it was all Tigers fans there anyway) or wanting to use the lift/escalator, Gate 5 is a much quicker way into the ground!
yes i realised that the no membership entry wouldve caused the wait

i walked around to gate 5 where i thought there would be less people but still large lines there...didnt help that we picked possibly the slowest line at the ground and when we reached the window why wasnt i surprised to she a dumb giant trying to hit the letters on his keyboard

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Doesnt help of course when the computer system they use is archaic.

When I was buying my ticket, The computer nerd in me had a bit of a gander at the terminal the girl was using.

Its no wonder they take so long to process tickets. The system she was using looked like something out of the early 90's. A massive PC that looked like it held a x486 processor, a huuuge 14" CRT monitor and the interface, whilst having Windows-esque icons at the top, was a mass of DOS prompts and strings of data. Everything was typed in, theres not even a mouse on the PC by the looks of it.

I buy tickets for events online, so its been a while since Ive been to a Ticketmaster outlet. God though, if thats the infrastructure they use everywhere, I trust their tech staff enjoy scouring swap meets for spare parts when things go wrong!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Might as well have been a 50,000 crowd such were the queues at the food outlets. I'm tipping the level 3 ones were closed like they generally do at early round pre-season games?

TD predicted 18.000 so a good result..and yes I reckon we outnumbered them where we were. Tiges fans though seem to love hanging round their CS...the Coventry end goals were pretty solidly yellow and black
I noted plenty of tigers supporters but they didn't seem as noisy as normal

as for food- thought we'd treat for the first game- half the outlets on level1 weren't open and the variety was #######
and the coffee machine gave me hot water-

got in easy- bought ticket within 5 min at the ticktmaster outlet- wandered to the Saints tent and into the ground with time to stand in two coffee queues -
only thing I missed was the banner and getting a good pic of the new runout tops.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Round 5, 2000
We had 26,374 against the Tigers at TD.

Meaningless Pre-Season Comp, 2008
We had 23,329 against the Tigers at TD.

We've come a long way.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
yipper
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:[
got in easy- bought ticket within 5 min at the ticktmaster outlet- wandered to the Saints tent and into the ground with time to stand in two coffee queues -
only thing I missed was the banner and getting a good pic of the new runout tops.
Errr that would be my fault.. sorry Bratty. :wink:

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
SharpShooter
Club Player

Re: Crowd. 23,329 ? !!

Eastern wrote: Saints fans appeared to make a lot more noise than tiggers fans (the state of the game could have influenced this). I thought we outnumbered them too !!
Which end of the ground were you at? I arrived late with my brother and he went up and got some seats down the Coventry end whilst the rest of us got our tickets.

From what I could hear down that end the Richmond cheer squad were getting very vocal. When we got goals down at the Lockett end (where our squad was) I couldn't hear nearly as much.

Maybe it was more about where you were. :?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Crowd. 23,329 ? !!

SharpShooter wrote:
Eastern wrote: Saints fans appeared to make a lot more noise than tiggers fans (the state of the game could have influenced this). I thought we outnumbered them too !!
Which end of the ground were you at? I arrived late with my brother and he went up and got some seats down the Coventry end whilst the rest of us got our tickets.

From what I could hear down that end the Richmond cheer squad were getting very vocal. When we got goals down at the Lockett end (where our squad was) I couldn't hear nearly as much.

Maybe it was more about where you were. :?
On the wing. City side !!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
saintbrat wrote:[
Errr that would be my fault.. sorry Bratty. :wink:
naa was more the fact I had to stand in three queues to get a coffee,

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
bigmicka
Club Player

66 i have also taken a peak at the system, its a terminal emulator. they can run any old piece of crap pc, all of the processing happens on the central computer.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
saint-stu
Club Player

Saints fans appeared to make a lot more noise than tiggers fans
I actually thought the tigers cheer squad was louder. I could hear them from the wing, but I couldn't hear ours.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

are Sth Australians turning of Football or is AAMI too far from the city

only 9,000 at Blues/port
nad gmaes late in the last season were not sell outs either.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
LennyBoy
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:are Sth Australians turning of Football or is AAMI too far from the city

only 9,000 at Blues/port
38 degrees in Adelaide y'day, extreme heat at AAMI is terrible as there is no really decent shaded areas. 9000 for pre-season you wouldn't get too worried just yet.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
Raven
Club Player

I was sitting on the wing at first (not city side) and I felt like I was being overwhelmed every time Richmond did something good and the cheering started (in comparison to the Saintly cheering, that is).
I ended up moving behind the goals above the Saint's cheer squad in level 3 to get a bit of balance. The Richmond fans seemed much more vocal, imo. I spent much of the night wondering why they'd have a bigger turnout than us.

Beekay
SS Life Member

Yeah same here. The Tiger fans would roar 5 times as loud as us when they were on a roll. Even when they were down they were louder.

Really made our cheer squad look very average also.

SharpShooter
Club Player

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felted overwhelmed by the Tiger supporters. Even after a goal I could barely hear our own, except for a few faithful around me.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:are Sth Australians turning of Football or is AAMI too far from the city

only 9,000 at Blues/port
AAMI is quite a way from the centre of Adelaide, and there isn't really any public transport out there, so 9k dosen't surprise me, plus Port were clearly going out to lose (youngest team they have ever played in the AFL, only 2 over 25).

As for our crowd, it was very clear who cared more. Success starved Tigers fans cheered everything they did, our supporters barely raised a cheer (except myself, who had money on the 39.5 point margin! :wink: )

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:Yeah same here. The Tiger fans would roar 5 times as loud as us when they were on a roll. Even when they were down they were louder.

Really made our cheer squad look very average also.
I was right behind the cheer squad, the ears are still ringing :shock:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!